PDA

View Full Version : Blaxploitation? Ron Artest on Culture, Stereotypes, and Ethnic Proclivities.

JustinB
08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
This is an article I wrote for www.socalsportshub.com .

As someone who believes that most people these days are all too willing to accept whatever the mass market labels them as, I tend to be really cynical whenever somebody declares themselves to be of a certain identity. I’ve found in my short time on the planet that most people stress their individuality, then immediately follow their declaration up by doing something that lumps them in with a group of people I like to call the “lowest common denominator”, or people who behave how marketing dollars say they should.

Ron Artest’s recent assertions that he “represents his culture unlike any other black player” are worth a little investigation. Operating under the assumption that one singlehandedly exemplifies a set of presumed racial identity traits is a bold move, considering that in this day and age, you have as much chance of running into someone who shares your exact beliefs as you do convincing another person that your views are “right”. However, when the person making said assumptions has a history of poor decision making, to say that he is woefully presumptive is likely an understatement

Without leaning too far on the racial spectrometer, I will say that I’ve never understood people feeling the need to represent their race or ethnicity, as it is something that you don’t get to choose when you’re born. Most people fail to realize, or simply ignore, that they could have just as easily been Irish, or Portuguese, or Black, or Rich, or Poor, or what have you. So to me, feeling the need to identify yourself and your assumed prerogatives concerning your racial identity is stupid, and borderline racist in and of itself. At the very least, it does nothing to help cover the blemishes our own behaviors have created throughout history.

While I can understand Ron’s desire to defend his past and future actions, I find the fact that he does it by saying it’s defined by something as arbitrary as his ethnicity to be shortsighted and ridiculous. Ron’s attempt to equate his often ludicrous behavior with his race shortchanges the many black people I know who feel that actions and justifications such as his only perpetuate an assumption held by many racists. He would be doing himself and many others a favor by not blaming his own past stupidity on some phantom ethnic disposition.

Again, I don’t want to make too many assumptions, as I am a white male, but I feel like the blacks’ struggle over the past century and a half to be viewed as equals could be equated to building a house of cards. What has been achieved thus far has taken much due diligence and patience, but a wrong move here or there can set the process back quite a bit. As I mentioned, there are many ignorant people out there, and for Ron to act this way only throws fuel on their fire, and in the big picture does not make the world a better place.

In the past, I have always like Ron as a player, a decision that has caused me to give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps too many times. I genuinely felt he was unfairly vilified by his role in the Palace Brawl, due to my belief that the fans had crossed the line, and thus lain themselves at the mercy of those whom they had provoked. Still, this latest outburst is disturbing, only because he acknowledges his own past deeds, before simply excusing them as something we should have expected from his desire to “represent his culture”. Once again, to presume you are acting in everyone’s best interest is generally a poor decision, but to make that decision on their behalf and tie it to such a sensitive issue as race is downright ignorant. Hopefully better heads will prevail in this circumstance, because I don’t know many people who would agree with Ron, black or otherwise.

It is ironic that Ron’s statements stemmed from a concern about team chemistry, because they have the potential to cause a wholly different kind of chemistry problem, one that goes far beyond the basketball court…

thispego
08-01-2008, 12:28 PM
you have to thnk of comments from ron artest as lost in translation. he probably didnt mean his culture as the african-american culture. he probably just means its the culture of where he grew up.

xtremesteven33
08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
i wanna see Yao Ming punch Ron Artest.

I. Hustle
08-01-2008, 01:13 PM
That was wwaaayyy too much reading.

DROB4EVER
08-01-2008, 01:14 PM
More rediculious statements from a born loser. He is so getto his rap album sold 100 copies. He claims on one hand to have learned from his mistakes and has tried to distance himself from his culture, then brags about how he is the rep for his culture.

Anyone who would identify themselves with artest is a loser.

Guy is still bitter no one will pay him because he cant control himself and has devaluded himself and of coarse its the MANs fault!

Loser could have been great, could have been a market magnet instead hes another waste of talent from the inner city that never lived up even close to his potiental because he wants to be getto! Well Ron, in the getto no one is paid, so you wanna be getto, no one in the NBA is gonna pay you.

Try another rap album!

Harry Callahan
08-01-2008, 01:54 PM
People who abuse women and pets are not worthy of respect.

tp2021
08-01-2008, 01:56 PM
rediculious...devaluded...of coarse

getto!... in the getto... wanna be getto!

Rediculious and devaluded are actually fun to say.

diego
08-01-2008, 06:10 PM
that was a good read, i've got a bit of jumbled identity and i agree to an extent...

to play devil's advocate:
cultures exist precisely because they give meaning, goals and values that, for better or for worse, allow people to adapt to their environment better. they create archetypes that, in some way or another, facilitate social interaction. peope are prejudiced by nature, in fact, i'm of the opinion that it is intelligent to be prejudiced- you have to classify and sort all of the people and situations you face to learn next time.

problem is people stop learning and hang on to their initial assumptions.

in ron's case, you nailed it on the head, he's using it as a cop out. he still hasnt accepted that what he did was wrong. The crowd provoked him just as much as he did they. if he played it right he could have come out of the place the victim instead of the villain, and maybe the pistons collapse instead of the pacers...

Reggie Miller
08-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Faulty logic.

I am a white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant. What is the probablity that I would be born into the world as a WASP, and then post about that fact on Spurs Talk this very day?

100% I just did it. Too late.

None of us "could have been born" something else. If I were black, Chinese, or Catholic, I wouldn't be the same person, for example.

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 11:10 AM
i wanna see Yao Ming punch Ron Artest.

HAHA..:lmao

Tully365
08-02-2008, 01:36 PM
that was a good read, i've got a bit of jumbled identity and i agree to an extent...

to play devil's advocate:
cultures exist precisely because they give meaning, goals and values that, for better or for worse, allow people to adapt to their environment better. they create archetypes that, in some way or another, facilitate social interaction. peope are prejudiced by nature, in fact, i'm of the opinion that it is intelligent to be prejudiced- you have to classify and sort all of the people and situations you face to learn next time.

problem is people stop learning and hang on to their initial assumptions.

in ron's case, you nailed it on the head, he's using it as a cop out. he still hasnt accepted that what he did was wrong. The crowd provoked him just as much as he did they. if he played it right he could have come out of the place the victim instead of the villain, and maybe the pistons collapse instead of the pacers...

I'd replace the word prejudiced with fallible in your argument, only because prejudiced has a connotation of ill intent, whereas fallible simply implies that human beings can't be perfect. I do agree with you, though, that it is often necessary in life to generalize simply because it's usually impossible to know all of the relevant facts of a situation-- this is true everywhere, not only in the ghetto.

The problem I have with Artest's idea of what it means to be "ghetto" is that it's a very narrow definition. There are many more construction workers, secretaries, waiters, and bartenders than pimps and murderers in the average ghetto, but they don't get the same play in movies and the rest of the media. There are also lots of extremely intelligent leaders in ghettos calling for unity, peace, etc... the idea that a guy who is ready to fight at the slightest provocation is more "ghetto" is in itself a prejudiced view. Some would say that a guy who is good at avoiding fights and slipping out of dangerous situations unharmed is really the best example of a ghetto survivor.

Artest to this day still denies he did anything wrong in the Brawl. It's pretty ridiculous. For starters, he attacked the wrong guy in the stands! He wasn't sure who threw the cup at him, so he guessed--and guessed wrong: that's just one of the fundamental problems with reacting out of blind anger.

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I still cannot get over the fact that black people defend Michael Vick.

It's disgusting and it reminds me that most black people (not all) are racist and have no clue how to be compassionate towards humans and animals.

SenorSpur
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
It would not have mattered what ethinc group Artest was born into. He was predisposed to being a dumb-ass. Seriously though, his unstable mental condition and his juvenile view of the world are shared with others, just like him, across various racial, ethnic and socio-economic levels.