PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pierce Stands By His Comments

duncan228
08-01-2008, 03:23 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/best-pierce-team-2110929-player-bryant

Pierce: 'I'm the best player in the world'
By Janis Carr

HAWTHORNE — Paul Pierce said it. He meant it. And he still means it.

The Boston Celtics small forward/guard recently was asked by a Spanish publication whether he thought Kobe Bryant was the best player in the world.

Pierce said no. The NBA Finals MVP called himself the "best player."

He added, "There's a line that separates having confidence and being conceited. I don't cross that line, but I have a lot of confidence in myself."

On Thursday, Pierce stood by his comments, saying he is entitled to his opinion.

"That's what I said. I am a confident player and a lot of people might look at it like 'Oh, another cocky attitude,' but I don't look at it that way," said Pierce, who is in town for his annual youth basketball camp at Hangar Athletic Xchange.

"I have an opinion, I have a right to have one and that's the way I feel. I felt I've played against the best over the years and felt right now that I'm the best player in the world."

Pierce said his comments were not a knock on Bryant, who was named the league MVP. Nor was he saying that Bryant was conceited and he was confident.

"You could have asked me about any other player and I would have given you the same answer," Pierce said.

He added, laughing, "I would have said that (if he thought Bryant was conceited)."

Pierce also maintained that the best team won the NBA title last season. The Celtics defeated the Lakers, winning the best-of-7 series, 4-2.

"I think the Lakers are a great team, but I think they ran into a better team," he said. "They (Lakers) beat the best in all the Western Conference, they had the guy who was named MVP and the best record after the arrival of (Pau) Gasol. But they just ran up against the better team.

"I think they will be a great team next year. Maybe we'll see them back in the Finals."

nil.ball
08-01-2008, 03:38 PM
LOL they should add his name to the drug screen test, asap!

TheMadHatter
08-01-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm still laughing at all the Spur's fans who rooted for BOS in the Finals. Rooting for the devil.

icem
08-01-2008, 03:47 PM
how are the celtics the devil ?

TheMadHatter
08-01-2008, 04:13 PM
You know you've hit rock bottom as a sports fan when you are rooting for a BOS team. Especially one led by this clown.

JamStone
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm glad KG finally won his title, but yeah, Pierce winning it really makes it suck. Now, he thinks his opinion is divine law. Now he'll never shut up. Now he'll think he needs to put his input in on anything and everything. He'll be poppin his jersey after every made basket, jumping on the scorer's table. Dude is annoying.

monosylab1k
08-01-2008, 04:21 PM
The article is right, and so is Paul Pierce.

He IS entitled to his opinion, no matter how stupid it is.

icem
08-01-2008, 04:32 PM
I'm glad KG finally won his title, but yeah, Pierce winning it really makes it suck. Now, he thinks his opinion is divine law. Now he'll never shut up. Now he'll think he needs to put his input in on anything and everything. He'll be poppin his jersey after every made basket, jumping on the scorer's table. Dude is annoying.

i think you're just bitter because the Cs knocked out the pistons....

how does he think his opinion is divine law ? all he said is it was opinion and he was entitled to it. whats wrong with that ?

JamStone
08-01-2008, 04:36 PM
I didn't like Paul Pierce before the Celtics got good this year. I've always been a fan of KG and I'm glad he won a title. I was happy for him.

Pierce also said publicly that the Knicks they should part with Marbury. He also made some comment about LeBron. The guy has a big mouth and now he thinks he needs to give his input on anything and everything. He's spit at players and fans before. And, his WWE act with his hurt knee against the Lakers wasn't the first time he did that. A few years ago against the Pacers, he faked like he got hit in the face by Jamaal Tinsley and in the post game, he put an ACE bandage over his entire head... and was serious.

Dude is a fucktard.

xtremesteven33
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
that boy can ball though.....seriously

Texas_Ranger
08-01-2008, 04:43 PM
And in my opinion he's a jerk.

JamStone
08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Yeah, no denying he's a serious baller. He came up big a bunch of times in the playoffs. Definitely raised his level of play when it counted.

He just annoys me.

icem
08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Yeah, no denying he's a serious baller. He came up big a bunch of times in the playoffs. Definitely raised his level of play when it counted.

He just annoys me.

be honest...you wish he was playing SF for the pistons.

JamStone
08-01-2008, 04:58 PM
be honest...you wish he was playing SF for the pistons.

Over Tayshaun Prince? Yeah of course. There are about 10-12 other small forwards I'd rather have on the Pistons than Prince. Does that mean I don't think Paul Pierce is a fucktard? Nope.

IronMexican
08-01-2008, 05:00 PM
If i ever saw his ass out here, i swear to fucking god im shanking his ass.

It pisses Me off.

xtremesteven33
08-01-2008, 05:03 PM

It pisses Me off.

:whine

JamStone
08-01-2008, 05:05 PM

It pisses Me off.

Pierce is from Inglewood and probably rolls deep. I'm sure he'd have his boys cut you up before you got to him.

Killakobe81
08-01-2008, 07:58 PM
If he's the best in the NBA for having a great playoffs and Finals than Parker was the best player last year, Wade the year before that, Duncan the year before that (though i agree with THAT one) and Wade th year before that ...
He is NOT the best player in the NBA he maybe top 10 ...MAYBE!

Lp26
08-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Tell me about it. I was always pretty neutral towards him and his antics + plus this are giving me KG levels of annoyance (sorry LOL) I wish he would just STFU.

jacobdrj
08-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I still agree with Pierce.
I couldn't be happier for him, and KG winning.
And while I never thought he was the best ever, I am happy for Antoine Walker for winning a title too, who I used to love to watch with guilty pleasure. The only one I really dislike from the '08 Celtics is Doc... and maybe, just maybe I don't give him enough credit for his seemingly absurd rotations...

IronMexican
08-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Pierce is from Inglewood and probably rolls deep. I'm sure he'd have his boys cut you up before you got to him.

Hah, inglewood is not even that ghetto.

JamStone
08-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Inglewood always up to no good.

Roxsfan
08-01-2008, 11:25 PM
He is entitled to his opinion, but so am I.

IMO, he is full of shit. He is a good player, you could argue a great player--but best in the world GMAFB:lmao:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:lmao

TheMACHINE
08-02-2008, 12:14 AM
he probably said "Crip better than Blood...no doubt..thats my opinion"...bam! Shanked!

KidCongo
08-02-2008, 01:27 AM
I didn't like Paul Pierce before the Celtics got good this year. I've always been a fan of KG and I'm glad he won a title. I was happy for him.

Pierce also said publicly that the Knicks they should part with Marbury. He also made some comment about LeBron. The guy has a big mouth and now he thinks he needs to give his input on anything and everything. He's spit at players and fans before. And, his WWE act with his hurt knee against the Lakers wasn't the first time he did that. A few years ago against the Pacers, he faked like he got hit in the face by Jamaal Tinsley and in the post game, he put an ACE bandage over his entire head... and was serious.

Dude is a fucktard.

Paul is jealous of a lot of players.

endrity
08-02-2008, 05:31 AM
I don't know how some of you are happy about KG winning a title. He is even a bigger poser. At least everybody got to watch how he choked even in a title winning team.

IronMexican
08-02-2008, 12:24 PM
I don't know how some of you are happy about KG winning a title. He is even a bigger poser. At least everybody got to watch how he choked even in a title winning team.

Seriously.

Now spurs fans are gonna have to hear "was duncan or KG better" for decades,
when duncan is clearly better.

so get ready to hear that in about years.

JamStone
08-02-2008, 12:35 PM
How is KG vs. Duncan even a debate? Duncan has won four titles and 3 NBA Finals MVPs. No one is making such a claim.

I've liked KG for a long time. I liked his intensity and passion for the game, the way he plays hard every possession. I respected the fact that winning meant so much that he broke down and cried in that interview with John Thompson. I liked how he plays just as hard on defense as he does on offense, being a superstar and all.

I know KG has flaws. I know he takes it too far with the screaming and the chest bumping and the Mr. tough guy act on the court. But, some people think that's just this year when he's done that his entire basketball life, even before he was an NBA player. I don't think he's fucktard like Paul Pierce. Pierce is more calculating when he does his shit. KG transforms on the court into a different persona. I think off the court, KG is a genuinely nice guy. On the court, he can be a dick, but he has to be in order to get the most out of his abilities. And, yes, he's a choke artist in the fourth quarter. That's not why I like him as a player. I like him for all the other things I already mentioned.

Pierce is a fucktard and it's rooted in his desire to be a fucktard. KG is a dick on the court and it's rooted in his desire to win. That's why I want to root for KG but dislike Paul Pierce.

duncan228
08-02-2008, 01:27 PM
How is KG vs. Duncan even a debate? Duncan has won four titles and 3 NBA Finals MVPs. No one is making such a claim.

It's not a debate in my opinion either, but it's been battled forever. There have been several threads on it over the years here. For whatever reason some people put Garnett over Duncan regardless of the hardware. I don't think the hardware alone is why Duncan is better, I think Duncan's overall game is better than Garnett's. But lots of people disagree with me. :)

manufor3
08-02-2008, 01:58 PM
I'm still laughing at all the Spur's fans who rooted for BOS in the Finals. Rooting for the devil.

why, because we made the right prediction?

angelbelow
08-02-2008, 02:38 PM
just pierce being pierce, now that hes finals mvp hes just getting noticed more but hes always made comments like this. couple years ago he said he deserved DPOY.

Roxsfan
08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
just pierce being pierce, now that hes finals mvp hes just getting noticed more but hes always made comments like this. couple years ago he said he deserved DPOY.

he must be crazy

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
It's not a debate in my opinion either, but it's been battled forever. There have been several threads on it over the years here. For whatever reason some people put Garnett over Duncan regardless of the hardware. I don't think the hardware alone is why Duncan is better, I think Duncan's overall game is better than Garnett's. But lots of people disagree with me. :)

Duncan>KG

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 11:14 PM
Pierce is an all star level player and he is going to the hall of fame one day but he is not now, nor has he ever been the best player in the NBA.

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 11:17 PM
But lots of people disagree with me. :)

Well if any of those people saw the finals, i would sure as hell hope they have let go of that one for good. KG was terrible in the finals, on offense against a mediocre defensive team. TD's 2005 finals alone puts him ahead of KG. Battled his way through a 7 game series against the best defensive team in the league, to a finals MVP.

duncan228
08-02-2008, 11:32 PM
Battled his way through a 7 game series against the best defensive team in the league, to a finals MVP.

And he did it on a bad ankle. :)

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 11:39 PM
And he did it on a bad ankle. :)

2 bad ankles :toast

duncan228
08-02-2008, 11:54 PM
2 bad ankles :toast

Damn he's good. :)

Why did I say one ankle? I know it was both ankles. I must need to sleep.

dbreiden83080
08-03-2008, 12:37 AM
Damn he's good. :)

Why did I say one ankle? I know it was both ankles. I must need to sleep.

Funny story from me about that 2005 season, i live in New York and i had tickets to see the Spurs play the Knicks, great seats, spent a lot of money. Well Timmy badly sprains the ankle the day prior against the Pistons in Detroit, i am sure you remember that. So my day was ruined when i went to the game not getting to see TD play. However i was there in 2004 when they played the Knicks and Timmy dropped 30 pts and 19 reb on them :toast

duncan228
08-03-2008, 12:57 AM
Funny story from me about that 2005 season, i live in New York and i had tickets to see the Spurs play the Knicks, great seats, spent a lot of money. Well Timmy badly sprains the ankle the day prior against the Pistons in Detroit, i am sure you remember that. So my day was ruined when i went to the game not getting to see TD play. However i was there in 2004 when they played the Knicks and Timmy dropped 30 pts and 19 reb on them :toast

I remember the Detroit game. March 20, it was televised nationally. I knew it was bad when he went down. It was a gruesome sight.

Craig Sagar was in the tunnel when Duncan came out of the locker room on crutches heading for the limo to fly out (on the Pistons owner's plane, that was a nice gesture). Sagar got in Duncan's face and kept asking how the ankle was. Duncan said it was "feeling better", Sagar kept talking. I thought Duncan was going to hit him with that metal crutch. :lmao

It must have been a real let down to not see him play that next game. But at least you have seen him, and you saw him with his game on. I've never seen him in person. I hope I can make it happen this season.

trueD
08-03-2008, 02:51 AM
Wait until Artest gets wind of Pierce thinking he's the best in the world.

We don't want to miss that matchup this season. :lol

rj215
08-03-2008, 04:18 AM
Paul Pierce isn't even the best SF in his Conferece. He's not a top 10 NBA player. He's not on Kobe's, Lebron's, or Tim's level. What he is good at though is running his mouth.

Between these stupid statements by Pierce and KG's stupid screaming and cursing fits I hate anything Celtics related. I can't wait for them to be a one year fluke like the '06 Heat.

The Franchise
08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Good for him!!! Believe in yourself even if nobody else does.

jacobdrj
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't really understand the animosity towards him. I have had nothing but respect for him since 2002...

JamStone
08-04-2008, 07:58 AM
Another example showing Paul Pierce just can't shut up:

The Boston Celtics' Paul Pierce, the most valuable player in the 2008 NBA Finals, was handcuffed by Las Vegas police early Sunday after he was initially uncooperative following a traffic stop for driving erratically on the Strip.

Bill Cassell, public information officer for the Metropolitan Police Department, said he did not have the details about why Pierce was cuffed but said it often happens when "an individual is loudly hostile."

http://www.lvrj.com/news/26235529.html