PDA

View Full Version : 24 seconds with Tony Parker

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 04:07 AM
24 seconds with Tony Parker

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2002172204_24seconds06.html

The San Antonio Spurs own the NBA's best record at 38-10, but it's guard Tony Parker, 22, heating up extra interest in the team with his sizzling relationship with Eva Longoria, the Latina 29-year-old diva from the hit TV series "Desperate Housewives." But on the court, Parker, who was born in Belgium and raised in France, appears unfazed, averaging 15.8 points and 6.2 assists.

Seattle Times: So, are the rumors true?

Tony Parker: Oh, it's true, but I'm not going to talk about it forever. Basketball is the main thing.

ST: Guess you're used to this kind of attention coming from your native France, where you were you led the country to a European Championship in 2001, right?

TP: Well, I don't care. People, you know, they like to talk because she's a celebrity. But I don't care. My priority is try to win a championship with the Spurs. Off the court I just let them say whatever they want. I'm used to it a little bit. When I go back to France it's crazy. Everywhere I go it's like a lot of people, paparazzi. So, you just stay with your bodyguard and go into private restaurants and stuff like that.

ST: Don't forget the dark glasses with the hat pulled over your head.

TP: Exactly, like everybody (laughs).

ST: Under Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, your team is off to its best start in franchise history.

TP: I think because we've got a lot of guys who played three-four years together, that's how we got a better start. Me, Manu (Ginobili), Tim (Duncan), Malik (Rose), Bruce (Bowen) — we're used to playing with each other. It's normal that we're going to have a better start. I know the Spurs used to start slow, but no, our team, you know, we know what Pop wants, so it makes it a little bit better. But we still have room for improvement.

ST: Gotta ask about former Sonic Brent Barry; how is he fitting in?

TP: He started slow trying to learn how we play. Our defense is very different from most of the teams in the NBA and our offense, too. The last month he's really picked it up and played a lot better, and he's shooting with a lot more confidence now.

ST: He's a character, too, right?

TP: Oh, definitely, definitely. Everybody, you know, he's got a joke for everything. He's very good to have around in the locker room.

ST: What jokes has he played on you?

TP: With me he's pretty calm. At the beginning of the season I always make a speech to present the team and I got him pretty good.

ST: How did you get him?

TP: He was shooting terrible in the preseason, he was maybe 3 for 40. And I say that in front of everybody, I say, "Great job, Pop, bringing us a shooter who's red hot! Red hot! Three for 40!" I was just messing with him. I know he's got something for me. It's going to come soon.

Jayda Evans