PDA

View Full Version : Olympiakos considering a run at Lebron in 2010?

Tully365
08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/08/01/lebron.greece/?eref=

I know a few of us speculated on this last week, when we were discussing whether there would be interest in Manu from a Euro-team when his contract is up.

MannyIsGod
08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
:lol

They can consider it all they want. Lebron isn't going anywhere (overseas).

itzsoweezee
08-01-2008, 10:07 PM
:lol

They can consider it all they want. Lebron isn't going anywhere (overseas).

if they give him $20 mil more per year than he'd make over here, hell yes he'd take his ass to greece. and imagine all those endorsement deals and the chance to be the greatest international athlete since Ali. he'd be gone in a second.

Buddy Holly
08-01-2008, 10:17 PM
How is playing in Greece going to make him an international star? I'd love for someone to realisticly explain that.

MannyIsGod
08-01-2008, 10:41 PM
if they give him $20 mil more per year than he'd make over here, hell yes he'd take his ass to greece. and imagine all those endorsement deals and the chance to be the greatest international athlete since Ali. he'd be gone in a second.

LOL @ a greek team offering him 40 or 50 million per. Shit LOL @ a greek team offering half that. Not to mention how much Lebron would lose out on from endorsements.

You guys listen to Kill Bill too much.

E20
08-01-2008, 10:43 PM
3 years............................

.................................................. ...

73 million

picnroll
08-01-2008, 10:48 PM
Nike is dying to pay LeBron $100 million in endorsement fees to lock up the Greek sneaker market. :lol

Buddy Holly
08-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Not to mention all those nationally televised games in the Greek league.

NBC will no doubt buy the rights to the games.

It's basically how David Beckham came to America and shot soccer up to the stratosphere and even became more of a earthly God!

rj215
08-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Lebron will go to Greece when he sees all the Greek girls and their big @sses...

m33p0
08-01-2008, 11:42 PM
it's all part of david stern's move for world domination.

GSH
08-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Nike is dying to pay LeBron $100 million in endorsement fees to lock up the Greek sneaker market. :lol

In Greek mythology, Nike (meaning Victory) was a goddess who personified triumph throughout the ages of the ancient Greek culture.

Maybe there is an angle there afterall.

angelbelow
08-02-2008, 04:17 AM
interesting.. if lebron keeps his goal of being the richest athlete then he should consider it closely.

baseline bum
08-02-2008, 04:41 AM
The only body of water LeBron's going to be crossing in July 2010 is New York Bay when he goes to sign his new contract in Brooklyn.

tonyisamazing
08-02-2008, 11:01 AM
If Lebron goes to Greece the NBA will be ruined

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 11:05 AM
:lmao

Trainwreck2100
08-02-2008, 11:11 AM
who knows where the dollar will be in 2010

xtremesteven33
08-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Lebron will go for 2-3 years and come back. Book it!

Tully365
08-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Lebron will go for 2-3 years and come back. Book it!

I could see him going for one year for a great amount of money and then coming back as a free agent. There could be huge advantages for the Euro league in signing him. One, it would generate much more Euro league coverage in the U.S., potentially bringing in many new fans. Also, I imagine the wealthy team owners over there envision a day in the next decade or so when they will be able to make the claim that their best team can beat the NBA champs. We all know this isn't true right now, but if things continue along the path they are already on... it's inevitable. It's very possible that someday there will be a "World Cup" in basketball as there is in Soccer-- a worldwide event that would have huge ratings, and generate huge profits for teams in Europe as well as in the U.S. Believe me, just as California wine makers compare themselves to French wineries, and just as American novelists have their eyes on older English and Russian novelists, every Euro team owner and player dreams of the day when they can claim to be as good as or better than the Americans at basketball.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-02-2008, 02:37 PM
DaDakota:

"This rumor is start by Kill Bill Pana he is also same person as Sports Illustrated writer who writes this article and article is not written in Greece either"

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 02:54 PM
:lmao

robbie380
08-02-2008, 03:59 PM
DaDakota:

"This rumor is start by Kill Bill Pana he is also same person as Sports Illustrated writer who writes this article and article is not written in Greece either"

KBP...what continent are you posting from? do you even know that?

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-02-2008, 07:04 PM
KBP...what continent are you posting from? do you even know that?

robbie380: "Sam Fisher is expert of euro basketball"

VaSpursFan
08-02-2008, 07:12 PM
Lebron will go to Greece when he sees all the Greek girls and their big @sses...

:wow:wow:lmao:lmao

good point!

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 07:37 PM
They will never get him! NEVER

Texas_Ranger
08-02-2008, 07:40 PM
LeBron will go to the SPURS!

So fuck off!

KidCongo
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
well, didn't he say one of his goals was to be the richest guy in the world...

(nice goal, btw...:rolleyes )

and he has also said numerous times that he wants to bring an NBA championship to Cleveland.

Sissiborgo
08-02-2008, 07:45 PM
LeBron will go to the SPURS!

So fuck off!

Im not sure about that but mabey he will:)

Pistons < Spurs
08-05-2008, 06:59 PM
Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more

Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50 million a year or more

Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."

James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.

The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.

While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join the MLS, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls in 1997-1998, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.

While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.

"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "

But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.

"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."

But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.

"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."

The source close to James said he would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."

"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."

The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.

"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."

But he would be filthy rich and a global icon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

I would too.

jason1301
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
How is playing in Greece going to make him an international star? I'd love for someone to realisticly explain that.

LOL @ a greek team offering him 40 or 50 million per. Shit LOL @ a greek team offering half that. Not to mention how much Lebron would lose out on from endorsements.

You guys listen to Kill Bill too much.

Not to mention all those nationally televised games in the Greek league.

NBC will no doubt buy the rights to the games.

It's basically how David Beckham came to America and shot soccer up to the stratosphere and even became more of a earthly God!

:wow:wow:lmao:lmao

good point!

He will play in Euroleague you retards!

You know the league where the best European basketball teams compete.

Enough with all the racial comments about Greece.

and those 50mi dollars will be tax free
and yes Europeans wear shoes just like americans do
so no he aint going to lose that Nike money.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
He will play in Euroleague you retards!

You know the league where the best European basketball teams compete.

Enough with all the racial comments about Greece.

and those 50mi dollars will be tax free
and yes Europeans wear shoes just like americans do
so no he aint going to lose that Nike money.

Board is full of Greek haters.

DROB4EVER
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
will never happen.

DPG21920
08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
http://nuudeli.com/gallery/albums/Viikon_Kuva/goldmember.jpg

Greece Haters!

urunobili
08-06-2008, 07:03 PM
i think that an NBA superstar will get the money they want to go there on their prime... LeBron already set the prize... i definitively c him going there it's all business for him and lifestyle is better in europe... who knows where america will be by the time he gets a huge offer...

jason1301
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Board is full of Greek haters.

stfu TROL, I am not sure you even speak greek, but if you do traslate this; ante kai gamhsu morh kargiola.

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
stfu TROL, I am not sure you even speak greek, but if you do traslate this; ante kai gamhsu morh kargiola.

No I will never. Also I am no bitch like you and also am blonde hair and blue eyes. I am real Greek. Not fake Balkan one like you.

Indazone
08-06-2008, 09:54 PM
So the Trojan Sparta wars have begun again.

DaDakota
08-06-2008, 09:56 PM
DaDakota:

You and your multiple personalities sure are sensitive gals aren't you?

Where are you posting from again?

DD

anakha
08-06-2008, 09:57 PM
No I will never. Also I am no bitch like you and also am blonde hair and blue eyes. I am real Greek. Not fake Balkan one like you.

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/3/8/6/f_ComcastSuckm_14b4c1d.jpg (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/3/8/6/f_ComcastSuckm_14b4c1d.jpg&srv=img26)

jason1301
08-07-2008, 06:12 PM

so mr real Greek care to prove your Greek heritage and translate for us?

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-07-2008, 09:05 PM
so mr real Greek care to prove your Greek heritage and translate for us?

I can send to Kori. Maybe she ban you.