PDA

View Full Version : Duncan is front-runner for another MVP

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 07:34 AM
Duncan is front-runner for another MVP
Sunday, February 06, 2005
JIM BESEDA

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/sports/1107608312300721.xml

Tim Duncan already has won two NBA Most Valuable Player awards, and based on what he did through the first half of this season, he could win a third.

Minnesota's Kevin Garnett, the reigning MVP, deserves consideration again, as do Phoenix's Steve Nash, Miami's Shaquille O'Neal and Cleveland's LeBron James.

But if the vote were to be taken tomorrow, Duncan would be the favorite. He's the best player on the team with the league's best record, and he best fits the criteria for what a MVP should be -- a player who gets the job done at both ends of the court, plays hard every game and makes the players around him better.

"For us, Tim is the most important piece of our puzzle," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I think to some degree because of his demeanor, he's always going to be a little like David Robinson, where he's going just be taken for granted to a degree because he doesn't invite praise or notoriety.

"He just sort of does everything under the radar. Even as coaches, we say, 'Gosh, we needed this or that,' and then we look at the stats and he's got 24 points, 14 rebounds and a couple of blocks, and you laugh because you don't even realize it yourself. He does it so unassumingly."

Duncan's scoring (21.4 points a game) and rebounding (11.9) are down compared to his previous MVP seasons, but he's also playing fewer minutes -- something Popovich planned in consideration of Duncan's participation in the Olympics last summer. Still, Duncan is one of three players -- Garnett and O'Neal are the others -- averaging at least 20 points and 10 rebounds.

"He's playing great," Popovich said. "I've heard how some people say his numbers of down. It sort of makes me giggle. If you play fewer minutes, your numbers go down. It's pretty simple. But he's doing the same things for us that he's always done."

Voting isn't until late March, and the awards aren't handed out until April. But here are the leaders in the early returns:

Rookie of the year: Emeka Okafor, Charlotte. He started the first 41 games for the expansion Bobcats and led all first-year players in scoring (14.9) and rebounding (11.1) before going on the injured list last Tuesday with a sprained left ankle. In the hunt: Orlando's Dwight Howard, Chicago's Ben Gordon. Darkhorse: Chicago's Luol Deng.

Coach of the year: Mike D'Antoni, Phoenix. The Suns have been running nonstop since the opening tip and are on pace to win 60 games after winning 29 last season. In the hunt: San Antonio's Popovich, Seattle's Nate McMillan. Darkhorse: Washington's Eddie Jordan.

Sixth man of the year: Antonio Daniels, Seattle. Where would the SuperSonics be without Daniels' versatility off the bench? He can play either guard position, which is vital on nights Luke Ridnour isn't getting it done or Rashard Lewis gets into foul trouble. In the hunt: Seattle's Danny Fortston, Denver's Earl Boykins. Darkhorse: Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse.

Most improved player: Bobby Simmons, Los Angeles Clippers. In his fourth season, the 6-foot-7 guard/forward is averaging 15.9 points and 6.6 rebounds in his first full season as a starter. In the hunt: Philadelphia's Kyle Korver, New Orleans' Lee Nailon. Darkhorse: Indiana's Fred Jones.

Executive of the year: Pat Riley, Miami. He traded for Shaquille O'Neal without having to let go of his team's best young player -- Dwyane Wade -- and added serviceable veterans Shandon Anderson, Damon Jones and Michael Doleac without breaking the bank. In the hunt: Phoenix's Bryan Colangelo, Chicago's John Paxson. Darkhorse: Dallas' Don Nelson.

Rummpd
02-06-2005, 08:44 AM
Executive of the year = Buford with an assist from Pop.

Getting another stud like Beno, getting Barry etc. Heat playing in weak a$% East and cannot beat West teams so far even with Shaq and Wade.

I would make a better case for the Washington front office than the Heat - they added several fairly good players, did not just luck into a great one.

SlovenianGuy
02-06-2005, 09:16 AM
Most improved player: what do you think about P. Brezec? Does he have any chance and why not?

Mark in Austin
02-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Brezec should be considered. But I think part of his statistical improvement is a result of more playing time. Call me crazy, but I really think Lebron James should get serious consideration for most improved. He's really made a quantum leap from last year's performance level.

PM5K
02-06-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah Right, Tim has no chance of winning the MVP....

RobinsontoDuncan
02-06-2005, 10:05 AM
I agree, Tim doesnt have a chance at the MVP because everyone wants to give it to Nash, I cant say he doesn't have a good case though.

As Bron Bron, he is the leagues most improved player and anyone who disagrees is wrong, he is averaging sig more rebounds, assists, steals, and of course ppg then he did last year.

Jimcs50
02-06-2005, 10:16 AM
I say the only way TD wins it again, is if Phoenix drops to 3rd seed and SA wins West by at least 6 games.

Right now, Phoenix is really in 1st place in West because they have played so many road games(27-21) compared to home games, compared to SA's 24 apiece.

In fact Phoenix' road record(20-7) is better than everyone's home record except for SA, Cleveland, Sacramento, and Miami's.

So in order for TD to win the MVP, Phoenix will have to get in a slump and lose a fewof home games and play like a mortal team on the road,

SA needs to run the table on this road trip.

IcemanCometh
02-06-2005, 11:38 AM
Sixth man of the year: Antonio Daniels, Seattle. Where would the SuperSonics be without Daniels' versatility off the bench? He can play either guard position, which is vital on nights Luke Ridnour isn't getting it done or Rashard Lewis gets into foul trouble.

nice to see antonio get his due.

Supergirl
02-06-2005, 11:54 AM
"He's playing great," Popovich said. "I've heard how some people say his numbers of down. It sort of makes me giggle. If you play fewer minutes, your numbers go down. It's pretty simple. But he's doing the same things for us that he's always done."

Pop giggle? I don't think I've ever heard Pop giggle. This quote made me giggle.

T Park
02-06-2005, 12:50 PM
I disagree with Pop, the last month or so, Duncan has only had a couple of "good" games.

Phoenix, and others.

Other than that, hes been pretty human.

Best team, best player, thats how Jordan won it alot of the time.

But Im sure its "Steve Nash's turn" This year.

I honestly stopped reading the article when he said Kevin Garnett had serious consideration.

IMO its down to 3 guys.

Duncan
Nash
Lebron James.

SPARKY
02-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Sixth man of the year: Antonio Daniels, Seattle. Where would the SuperSonics be without Daniels' versatility off the bench? He can play either guard position, which is vital on nights Luke Ridnour isn't getting it done or Rashard Lewis gets into foul trouble. In the hunt: Seattle's Danny Fortston, Denver's Earl Boykins. Darkhorse: Dallas' Jerry Stackhouse.

Good work RC.

td4mvp21
02-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I say the only way TD wins it again, is if Phoenix drops to 3rd seed and SA wins West by at least 6 games.

Right now, Phoenix is really in 1st place in West because they have played so many road games(27-21) compared to home games, compared to SA's 24 apiece.

In fact Phoenix' road record(20-7) is better than everyone's home record except for SA, Cleveland, Sacramento, and Miami's.

So in order for TD to win the MVP, Phoenix will have to get in a slump and lose a fewof home games and play like a mortal team on the road,

SA needs to run the table on this road trip.

actually the spurs are in first place. it doesnt matter about where you play. good teams get it done at home. i dont think you havve a good arguement..

T Park
02-06-2005, 02:06 PM
Good work RC.

So the Spurs shouldn't have acquired Steve Kerr?

Good move slick. WIthout Kerr there would be no ring in 03.

But you knew that right Spursfan?

Spurminator
02-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I have to disagree. Duncan's probably 4th or 5th on my MVP list... behind Nash, James, Dirk, and possibly Shaq.

Nikos
02-06-2005, 02:48 PM
I would agree that Antonio Daniels is the 6MOY thus far.

As far as MVP, its all pretty close right now. Tough to say.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2005, 03:13 PM
Pop giggle? I don't think I've ever heard Pop giggle. This quote made me giggle.Seems like more of a chortler.

It would have been nice if AD could have actually played the point here.

T Park
02-06-2005, 04:02 PM
It would have been nice if AD could have actually played the point here.

now now chump

He didnt feel "comfortable" playing the point here.

Poor baby.

Dre_7
02-06-2005, 04:22 PM
As much as I hate to admit it, I think Shaq is the MVP frontrunner right now.

1. Shaq
2. Steve Nash :(
3.TD

Hopefully TD can do sumthing about that on Feb 13 :p

ShoogarBear
02-06-2005, 07:46 PM
I just can't see Tim winning it this year unless he has a monster second half, which won't happen as long as the team is playing well and his minutes can be limited.

Best argument against Nash: how can he be the MVP when the team he used to play for is probably better without him?

Jimcs50
02-06-2005, 07:54 PM
actually the spurs are in first place. it doesnt matter about where you play. good teams get it done at home. i dont think you havve a good arguement..

If you factor in road games and prorate SA's road record, then Phoenix is in first place. Phonix only have 14 more road games to play and SA has 17 more. If SA wins 2 out of 3 of the difference, which is a higher winning % than they win now on the road, then Phoenix and SA are for all practical purposes tied.

Gummi
02-06-2005, 08:22 PM
First of all it's way to early to predict who's going to be the MVP. If the season finished today, my vote would go to Steve Nash. If Duncan would win the award, the Suns would have to finish no higher then 3rd and the Spurs of course would have to win the West and have the best record overall. Or Nash hitting the wall and his team starts loosing games, which I doubt will happen.

I would rank them this way.

1. Steve Nash (good numbers, great record, without him the Suns are a mess).
2. Tim Duncan (good numbers, great record)
3. Shaq (good numbers, great record)
4. LeBron James (great stats, good record)
5. Kevin Garnett (even though his team is playing horrible, his stats are too good)

timvp
02-06-2005, 08:24 PM
Someone would have to have not watched any basketball this year to say that Duncan deserves MVP over players like Nash, Shaq, LeBron, Allen and even Wade.

Duncan has been coasting.

Jimcs50
02-06-2005, 08:34 PM
Someone would have to have not watched any basketball this year to say that Duncan deserves MVP over players like Nash, Shaq, LeBron, Allen and even Wade.

He is doing what he had to do, nothing more.

I think he was really exausted from his offseason and he is saving himself for the final kick and into the playoffs.

If SA and TD dominate the league the rest of the way like I think they will, TD will have to be taken seriously for the MVP.

Gummi
02-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Well the MVP is usually won by the best player on the team that holds the best record. I do agree with you timvp about Duncan's play, but his numbers while "coasting" are better then Wade's, equal to Shaq's, much better then Ray Allen's, similar to LeBron's (James has better overal numbers), and better then Nash's numbers.

But none of these guys has a better record then Duncan and I can guarentee to you that Seattle won't have a better record then the Spurs, neither will the Cavs, or the Heat. The only team that I can see finishing with a better record then the Spurs, are the Phoenix Suns.

Like I said, the MVP is usually the player that has the best numbers on the best team, sometimes it's the player on the second best team (record wise), below that, it's not common.

exstatic
02-06-2005, 08:59 PM
I don't think Nash or Dirk deserves it. One way players don't impress me, and the next great defensive effort that either gives will be the first in their NBA careers. Talk about coasting. Both of them do it for 50% of each game. :lol

I don't think Tim is coasting. He's currently playing almost 5 minutes less than his second MVP season, yet is only off 2 points and one rebound. He's playing monstrously efficient, and making things easier for Manu and Tony. I think somewhere between 1 and 15 March, you WILL see his minutes (and consequently stats) go up in preparation for the playoffs, when teams traditionally shorten rotations and lengthen minutes.

Some numbers for the board "I love other team's players" fans:

Ranks #3 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(1264.0)
Ranks #2 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(36.24)

Those are just offensive stats. In addition, he's the defensive rock and anchor.

PM5K
02-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I'm sorry but let me say this, and keep in mind I'm not a biased Spurs fan:

If you have Kevin Garnett ahead of Tim Duncan on your MVP list then just get the fuck out of here now because you don't know shit about basketball.

Gummi
02-06-2005, 09:35 PM
What do you expect? He's a Wolves fan. That team is in some serious trouble. Loosing to the C's at home and are at the .500 mark right now and out of the playoffs.

I'm thinking a trade is near.

ShoogarBear
02-06-2005, 10:56 PM

True, but then so has Shaq--self-admittedly.

'Course, in the East, a coasting Shaq may still be the MVP.

LakerGod
02-07-2005, 12:25 AM
I could not believe it when I read the title of this topic!!!!

Is Timmy Duncan going to steal another MVP award?

Nash deserves it more at least at this point of the season, we witnessed how the Suns are below average without him.

SPARKY
02-07-2005, 12:32 AM
So the Spurs shouldn't have acquired Steve Kerr?

Good move slick. WIthout Kerr there would be no ring in 03.

But you knew that right Spursfan?

Yes Carnie, I knew that. Now go hook up your nutsack to a car battery.