PDA

View Full Version : Manu Ginobili, the NBA, and the Olympics

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Mark Cuban has complained, a lot of people have complained, but why does it still happen?

Foreign players in the NBA ....

What happens when a star NBA player that is under contract for an NBA team decides to play for another country during the summer? The reasoning behind traditional use of NBA players in the Olympics was : Well, they are representing the good old US of A. It's OK.... but that's not the case now. The player could risk injury and further wear and tear on the body that has absolutely no benefit to the NBA or to the United States. This is exactly the case with Manu Ginobili and Yao Ming.

Manu Ginobili will once again play for the Argentine National team in this year's Olympic games. Manu is suffering from an ankle injury which prevented him from playing to his full potential during the San Antonio Spurs playoff run. It was evident that Manu was not Manu as the Spurs were tossed out of the playoffs by the Los Angeles Lakers. You would think that Manu would rest and prepare himself for the 2008-2009 NBA season, right? The Spurs are paying him millions of dollars to do just that, after all. Instead, Manu is going to play on his bum ankle and risk further injury to play for the Argentine National team. What happens if he suffers an injury that ruins his 08-09 season for the Spurs? It's not just about the money here. This is another year of Tim Duncan's legendary career. It could mean another championship. If The Spurs have millions in salary cap tied to with Manu, they expect Manu to be healthy. Manu does not seem to care. He is here in the USA on a work visa. He has never applied for american citizenship and never will. He has dual citizenship in Argentina (birth) and Italy (his family history gave him rights to Italian citizenship).

This same situation goes for Yao Ming, who resides in the USA with a temporary visa. Yao suffered a season ending injury, forcing the Houston Rockets to play without him once again. McGrady had to take the blame, once again. What happens if Yao goes down with another serious injury because he spent his time playing for the Chinese national team instead of resting for the 2008-2009 NBA season?

The NBA might not want to talk about this right now, but many owners have complained about it. The day will come that a foreign NBA star such as Manu or Yao that play for an important team will suffer a severe injury while playing for another country and ruin the season for the NBA team that feeds him. Then maybe, the NBA will want to talk about it. After all, the NBA and it's logo might say red, white, and blue, but we know it's all about green - no matter what country it flows from.

What do you think about this issue?

As a fan, I would be pissed off if my favorite NBA team had to suffer because of this. He didn't play for my country and he ruined my NBA team's season...... oh boy. I don't understand why there aren't MORE american fans angry about it

duncan228
08-02-2008, 01:21 PM
You must have missed the threads that argued this when Manu was deciding if he could play. It went both ways here, people pissed that he's playing and people defending his right to play for his country and try to defend his Gold.

Zarko
08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
His right to defend his country is a viable point. Another counterpoint is the Spurs right to hold out on extending Ginobili past the 2010 season. He is getting old fast and his style of play doesn't bear well for his future if he continues to play 100 plus games a season.

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 01:37 PM
You must have missed the threads that argued this when Manu was deciding if he could play. It went both ways here, people pissed that he's playing and people defending his right to play for his country and try to defend his Gold.

I understand that there are a lot of Argentine fans that post on the Spurs board.

My question is to the american fans.

We get no benefit from them playing for their own country. If they play for the USA, that's one thing.... but if they ruin the 2008-2009 NBA season by getting injured or showing up tired and they DIDN'T play for USA, then what the hell do we american fans benefit from?

This is a big problem in my eyes.

Cherry
08-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Their contracts says nothing about not playing for their own country...so, live with it.

lurker23
08-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Non-American players have the same amount of rights to play in the Olympics as American players. Will it be tragic for their NBA teams if Manu or Yao or LeBron or Bosh get hurt? Absolutely. However, whether that risk is taken with red, white, and blue on your back or not shouldn't make a difference.

If the NBA and its owners don't want their players participating in the Olympics, fine. Make it a league-wide rule against international play, and the entire American team will be college kids again. But there's no reason to discriminate against foreign-born players just because they happen to play professional ball in America. These teams aren't owned by the American government, they're just owned by Americans. That could easily change in the next 5-10 years. If Belgians can buy Anheuser-Bush, then rich Spaniards could buy the Lakers. How would you feel if these new owners said Pau Gasol could play for the Spanish team, but Kobe Bryant couldn't play for the American team?

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Absolutely. However, whether that risk is taken with red, white, and blue on your back or not shouldn't make a difference.

It absolutely 100% makes a difference. NBA pro's playing in the Olympics started in 1992 and the reasoning was because hey, they are representing our country.

In this case, they are not. The NBA is an american business that mostly caters to the american fan.

It makes a huge difference when your favorite team loses a major player because they were playing for Team USA. That's not so bad. When it's because they are playing for another country, now it's bad. I'm an american and I don't give a shit about their country. They are paid to play in the NBA. That's it. If they want to play in the Olympics, then represent Team USA. Anyone else, and it's not in my interest as a basketball fan to see the NBA season ruined.

dbreiden83080
08-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Something i have said before, is the damn system is just set up for players like Manu to go over their and play, and not have to worry about anything financially. Once you sign that big money deal, it's guaranteed. So if you get hurt playing in the Olympics it does not cost you one cent. I think this is enough of a problem that ownership in the future will likely push for, stipulations in the contracts that will cost, these players money if they get hurt playing over the summer. If that day comes, you will see almost nobody in the NBA playing in the Olympics. For 95% of athletes it is all about the money and that is being generous.

nkdlunch
08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
It absolutely 100% makes a difference. NBA pro's playing in the Olympics started in 1992 and the reasoning was because hey, they are representing our country.

In this case, they are not. The NBA is an american business that mostly caters to the american fan.

It makes a huge difference when your favorite team loses a major player because they were playing for Team USA. That's not so bad. When it's because they are playing for another country, now it's bad. I'm an american and I don't give a shit about their country. They are paid to play in the NBA. That's it. If they want to play in the Olympics, then represent Team USA. Anyone else, and it's not in my interest as a basketball fan to see the NBA season ruined.

This must be news to you, NBA wants to go global. What better way than to display NBA talents in the biggest world stage?

that's the answer you seek. It's a business.

urunobili
08-02-2008, 06:18 PM
He is getting old fast and his style of play doesn't bear well for his future if he continues to play 100 plus games a season.
Hollinger said the same last season... u still guys don;t get it don;t u? :sleep

MaNuMaNiAc
08-02-2008, 06:39 PM
:lmao so now its alright for American basketball players to play in the Olympics but foreigners shouldn't be allowed?? Seriously, are you fucking retarded?

That's a serious question by the way

MmP
08-02-2008, 06:48 PM
This issue of playing for the NT is something very controversial around the world and in many others sports such as soccer.
Personally I think that it's something that has to be discussed with your team, both player and coach have to agree. It's not a matter of who pays you and you being an employee as a player, becouse also you have rights. The player has to show that he's will is good enough to play and sacrifice his body a whole summer and also the player has to understand the risks he's taking.

timaios
08-02-2008, 06:54 PM
:lmao so now its alright for American basketball players to play in the Olympics but foreigners shouldn't be allowed?? Seriously, are you fucking retarded?

That's a serious question by the way

Yes he is !
And it's not funny to laugh at somebody who suffer from congenital mental deficiency. :nope

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
An argentine and a french fan uniting forces. Not surprised.

If an american NBA player wants to risk injury by playing for TEAM USA, then I support him.

if a non-american NBA wants to risk injury by playing for another country, I don't support him.

I don't give a shit about Argentina. I give a shit about the United States of America and the National Basketball Association. This does NOT benefit the american fan AT ALL. The best we can hope for is that the player does not get injured and LOSES.

1) I don't want that player beating Team USA, so I root for TEAM USA.

2) The best I can hope for is that this player does not get injured.

What is the point?

So another country that has nothing to do with USA benefits from this? So the player is happy? Boo hoo. You have your millions to console you. It's about the FAN. And the american fan wants NBA players to play for TEAM USA or be healthy for the NBA.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-02-2008, 07:50 PM
An argentine and a french fan uniting forces. Not surprised.

If an american NBA player wants to risk injury by playing for TEAM USA, then I support him.

if a non-american NBA wants to risk injury by playing for another country, I don't support him.

I don't give a shit about Argentina. I give a shit about the United States of America and the National Basketball Association. This does NOT benefit the american fan AT ALL. The best we can hope for is that the player does not get injured and LOSES.

1) I don't want that player beating Team USA, so I root for TEAM USA.

2) The best I can hope for is that this player does not get injured.

What is the point?

So another country that has nothing to do with USA benefits from this? So the player is happy? Boo hoo. You have your millions to console you. It's about the FAN. And the american fan wants NBA players to play for TEAM USA or be healthy for the NBA.

well, that would be all well and good if the NBA was owned by the American government. As it stands, the NBA is privately owned, which means American national interests have absolutely nothing to do with whether foreign players get to play in the Olympics or not. The fact that you think they should shows you have absolutely no fucking clue how your own culture works. What you are describing is something a country like China would do, something a country like Cuba would do. Think about that.

Jesus you are one retarded mofo.

FlAVaK
08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Non-American players have the same amount of rights to play in the Olympics as American players. Will it be tragic for their NBA teams if Manu or Yao or LeBron or Bosh get hurt? Absolutely. However, whether that risk is taken with red, white, and blue on your back or not shouldn't make a difference.

If the NBA and its owners don't want their players participating in the Olympics, fine. Make it a league-wide rule against international play, and the entire American team will be college kids again. But there's no reason to discriminate against foreign-born players just because they happen to play professional ball in America. These teams aren't owned by the American government, they're just owned by Americans. That could easily change in the next 5-10 years. If Belgians can buy Anheuser-Bush, then rich Spaniards could buy the Lakers. How would you feel if these new owners said Pau Gasol could play for the Spanish team, but Kobe Bryant couldn't play for the American team?

+1

Couldn`t have said it better!

MiamiHeat
08-02-2008, 08:01 PM
Owners wouldn't have the power to do that because that type of rule would be enforced by the league, not individual teams.

American fans buy tickets to games, not spaniards.

mrspurs
08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
+1

Couldn`t have said it better!

yeah tell that to the people who purchase season tickets, and i promise they will tell you............thats why manu is just another 3 point shooter, if he makes 5 or 6 we may win, if he doesnt chances are we lose, havnt you been watching manu play as of late....his ankle isnt gonna get better, ankles never do

SenorSpur
08-02-2008, 08:40 PM
I doubt the Olympic committee would EVER disallow professional athletes from competing. If NBA owners ever did, it would make it less attractive for foreign-born players to play in the NBA.

The decision to play is Manu's and Yao's alone. It's not for us or anyone else to decide. These guys face an immense amount of political and social pressure to represent their country. Besides that, they all have an extraordinary sense of personal and patriotic pride. They should not be derided for that.

There's no question that it's a risky proposition and it sucks for us fans. Perhaps as they get older, they'll compete less in the offseason. In the meantime, let's all simply cross our fingers and hope that no one gets injured.

ducks
08-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Their contracts says nothing about not playing for their own country...so, live with it.

next one manu should

ducks
08-02-2008, 11:10 PM
if they can keep them from surfing and other sports
they can put clauses not to allow them to play in the stupid games

v2freak
08-02-2008, 11:21 PM
Just my 2 cents:

The NBA is not a typical example of a "corporation." It is the most renowned basketball league in the world. The super stars that play here - international or not - should count their blessings every second, because they make more money than 99% of people can ever hope to make and are made incredibly famous because of the league.

To be fair, I am not sure if Ginobili and Yao would be as famous and rich today, were it not for the NBA. If, hypothetically, the NBA wanted to make a rule saying that its international players could not compete in the Olympics but that its American players could, then, as Cherry said, everyone should just "live with it."

Kori Ellis
08-02-2008, 11:24 PM
if they can keep them from surfing and other sports
they can put clauses not to allow them to play in the stupid games

The Spurs don't think the games are stupid. So they'd never make that clause. Of course, they don't want Manu playing if he's hurt. But they aren't going to just start banning players from playing in the offseason.

If he wasn't playing in the Olympics, he'd be playing somewhere. Manu (and most NBA basketball players) don't just lay down for the summer. They play in Grgurich's camp, they play organized games at Pauley Pavillion, they play at the practice facilities, local gyms, whatever. They are basketball players.

Like most people, if Manu is hurt, I don't want him playing in Beijing. But I don't think anyone should tell him (or anyone else) that they just can't play.

lurker23
08-02-2008, 11:56 PM
If it makes Spurs fans feel better, I have a feeling this is Manu's last international competition. At the very least, it'll probably be his last Olympics.

Kind of a side note to the hypothetical I presented earlier. If NBA players were to be banned from this year's Olympics, would Josh Childress be the star of the United States team?

lurker23
08-03-2008, 12:17 AM
I'll answer my own question here. Assuming none of the 2008 draft picks signed in the NBA immediately, knowing that they could only play in the Olympics if they weren't in the NBA, here's my team:

PG - Derrick Rose / DJ Augustin / Jerryd Bayless
SG - OJ Mayo / Eric Gordon
SF - Josh Childress / Brandon Rush / Chris Douglas-Roberts
PF - Michael Beasley / Joe Alexander (not sure of his citizenship...but could be an interpreter for the team in China)
C - Brook Lopez / Kevin Love

Otaku
08-03-2008, 04:16 AM
Give Manu the choice of the National Team OR San Antonio and you can start saying goodbye cause he will choose his country any day.

The solution is simple, don't want international players playing for their home country?? Don't sign them. If you do, don't cry.

diego
08-03-2008, 04:31 AM
Something i have said before, is the damn system is just set up for players like Manu to go over their and play, and not have to worry about anything financially. Once you sign that big money deal, it's guaranteed. So if you get hurt playing in the Olympics it does not cost you one cent. I think this is enough of a problem that ownership in the future will likely push for, stipulations in the contracts that will cost, these players money if they get hurt playing over the summer. If that day comes, you will see almost nobody in the NBA playing in the Olympics. For 95% of athletes it is all about the money and that is being generous.

the system is set up so that the players dont worry about anything financially period. any basketball injury, regardless of where or when on the globe it happens, is covered by the guaranteed contract.

as kori explained, they are basketball players. its not a matter of a basketball player playing rugby, or doing base jumping, or dirt bike rally. a basketball player playing basketball, is the equivalent of a fish swimming. its what they do.

on top of that, the olympics provide these guys (and the IOC, NT federations, NBA, sneaker corps and coca cola and macdonalds and so on) more publicity and more revenue. thats why they all agree to do it.

if an athlete gets injured, be it for their pro team or their national team, they will lose money no matter what, even if they have a guaranteed contract. It generates a medical expense on one hand, and pulls them out of the spotlight on the other- its the equivalent of having your show cancelled for an actor/musician. They lose potential sponsors and marketing deals, and their pro team figures "if we did it without him, he is worth less" or "he is paid too much to be injured" which one way or another lowers the players leverage in future negotiations.

either way, the IOC already has the NBA in its back pocket. the rules (established by the Player's Union, ironically enough, a uniquely american phenomenon) clearly state they cant make contracts that restrict a players right to play for their national team. the only scenario in which that right CAN be restricted is if that player cant get the required injury insurance, which covers 95% of your "its 95% about the money" angle.

as lurker23 said, its either all NBA players or no NBA players, so if you're that upset and annoyed with manu, surely you feel the same about lebron, kobe, duncan in 04, etc. etc. but of course, this thread is just troll bait, and i'm the idiot that answered.

whottt
08-03-2008, 04:58 AM
It's a complicated situation. I really think the Olympics should be about amateur play in basketball...and so any guy who is playing in a pro-league should be ineligible for the Olympics.

Makes it easier on everyone and it gives young players an opportunity to represent their countries.

MiamiHeat
08-03-2008, 02:57 PM
as lurker23 said, its either all NBA players or no NBA players, so if you're that upset and annoyed with manu, surely you feel the same about lebron, kobe, duncan in 04, etc. etc. but of course, this thread is just troll bait, and i'm the idiot that answered.

No, you're an idiot for thinking it's troll bait. How can you be such a paranoid moron? I took the time to write out a long and thoughtful thread on a subject I wanted to discuss. Did you forget to take your crazy pills today? How does that make it a 'troll thread'? Wow.

and I believe the issue about AMERICAN PLAYERS PLAYING FOR TEAM USA WAS ALREADY COVERED.

American fans SUPPORT Team USA. What the hell do american fans care about China or Argentina?

The American fan is screwed over in this fashion. Because a foreign player playing in the Olympics.... well, american fans root for TEAM USA. So we hope that the Manu Ginobili's 1) lose and 2) not get injured

Where's the sense in that? Don't forget the NBA is primarily an AMERICAN SPORT in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that sells tickets, merchandise, sponsorships etc TO AMERICAN FANS. Team USA = ok.

ducks
08-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Give Manu the choice of the National Team OR San Antonio and you can start saying goodbye cause he will choose his country any day.

The solution is simple, don't want international players playing for their home country?? Don't sign them. If you do, don't cry.

give the spurs their money back then to

Darthkiller
08-03-2008, 04:41 PM
I love how no one complains when kobe delayed his finger surgery to play for team USA when they dont desperately need him.

Darthkiller
08-03-2008, 04:44 PM
No, you're an idiot for thinking it's troll bait. How can you be such a paranoid moron? I took the time to write out a long and thoughtful thread on a subject I wanted to discuss. Did you forget to take your crazy pills today? How does that make it a 'troll thread'? Wow.

and I believe the issue about AMERICAN PLAYERS PLAYING FOR TEAM USA WAS ALREADY COVERED.

American fans SUPPORT Team USA. What the hell do american fans care about China or Argentina?

The American fan is screwed over in this fashion. Because a foreign player playing in the Olympics.... well, american fans root for TEAM USA. So we hope that the Manu Ginobili's 1) lose and 2) not get injured

Where's the sense in that? Don't forget the NBA is primarily an AMERICAN SPORT in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that sells tickets, merchandise, sponsorships etc TO AMERICAN FANS. Team USA = ok.

GJ living in the 80s, stern is making nba more globalized, china has more nba fans than US population , stern even mentioned expanding the league to europe and china.

MiamiHeat
08-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I love how no one complains when kobe delayed his finger surgery to play for team USA when they dont desperately need him.

You said it yourself.

TEAM USA.

He's representing my country. our country.

If he was representing Lithuania, I would be upset. What the hell do I care about a foreign country?

MiamiHeat
08-03-2008, 05:51 PM
GJ living in the 80s, stern is making nba more globalized, china has more nba fans than US population , stern even mentioned expanding the league to europe and china.

The majority of the population is in poverty. The standard of living is very very different than the United States. Many of those fans cannot buy tickets and merchandise. Not to mention, China's government allows a lot of bootlegging and unethical business practices. It wouldn't work. For instance, Baidu is beating Google in China. Baidu shows you and gives you all types of illegal/stealing of music and movies because our laws don't apply in China. This can also be done through google, but google does not have "SEARCH FOR MP3's AND MOVIES" button on their homepage like Baidu does. They don't care.

mrspurs
08-03-2008, 05:56 PM
The Spurs don't think the games are stupid. So they'd never make that clause. Of course, they don't want Manu playing if he's hurt. But they aren't going to just start banning players from playing in the offseason.

If he wasn't playing in the Olympics, he'd be playing somewhere. Manu (and most NBA basketball players) don't just lay down for the summer. They play in Grgurich's camp, they play organized games at Pauley Pavillion, they play at the practice facilities, local gyms, whatever. They are basketball players.

Like most people, if Manu is hurt, I don't want him playing in Beijing. But I don't think anyone should tell him (or anyone else) that they just can't play.

meaning no disrepect kori, but there is a big difference between pickup games and games in which players like manu and yao go 100 percent in order to win...with that in mind we have 2 players who start for argentina, who also start for the spurs......in my book thats an equation for disaster everytime manu and fab touch the court our chances of winning another nba ring go down

ElNono
08-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Mark Cuban has complained, a lot of people have complained, but why does it still happen?

What happens when a star NBA player that is under contract for an NBA team decides to play for another country during the summer? The reasoning behind traditional use of NBA players in the Olympics was : Well, they are representing the good old US of A. It's OK.... but that's not the case now. The player could risk injury and further wear and tear on the body that has absolutely no benefit to the NBA or to the United States. This is exactly the case with Manu Ginobili and Yao Ming.

Manu Ginobili will once again play for the Argentine National team in this year's Olympic games. Manu is suffering from an ankle injury which prevented him from playing to his full potential during the San Antonio Spurs playoff run. It was evident that Manu was not Manu as the Spurs were tossed out of the playoffs by the Los Angeles Lakers. You would think that Manu would rest and prepare himself for the 2008-2009 NBA season, right? The Spurs are paying him millions of dollars to do just that, after all. Instead, Manu is going to play on his bum ankle and risk further injury to play for the Argentine National team. What happens if he suffers an injury that ruins his 08-09 season for the Spurs? It's not just about the money here. This is another year of Tim Duncan's legendary career. It could mean another championship. If The Spurs have millions in salary cap tied to with Manu, they expect Manu to be healthy. Manu does not seem to care. He is here in the USA on a work visa. He has never applied for american citizenship and never will. He has dual citizenship in Argentina (birth) and Italy (his family history gave him rights to Italian citizenship).

This same situation goes for Yao Ming, who resides in the USA with a temporary visa. Yao suffered a season ending injury, forcing the Houston Rockets to play without him once again. McGrady had to take the blame, once again. What happens if Yao goes down with another serious injury because he spent his time playing for the Chinese national team instead of resting for the 2008-2009 NBA season?

The NBA might not want to talk about this right now, but many owners have complained about it. The day will come that a foreign NBA star such as Manu or Yao that play for an important team will suffer a severe injury while playing for another country and ruin the season for the NBA team that feeds him. Then maybe, the NBA will want to talk about it. After all, the NBA and it's logo might say red, white, and blue, but we know it's all about green - no matter what country it flows from.

As a fan, I would be pissed off if my favorite NBA team had to suffer because of this. He didn't play for my country and he ruined my NBA team's season...... oh boy. I don't understand why there aren't MORE american fans angry about it

The only LEGAL way to prevent a player from playing in their National team (or some summer league somewhere) is to include it in his contract when the contract is signed (or extended/modified for any condition). There's already a clause on most player's contracts (foreigner or not), where they need to secure insurance payed by the national country before they're allowed to play in national teams.
When you're a loser player, and nobody wants you, then it's understandable that you would sign a contract forbidding you from playing for your country. But if you're a star, like Manu is, then there's no way he'll agree to a clause like that. He'll rather go to another team that offers as much money and let's him play. When the Spurs re-signed him they already knew this was part of the deal. If they want to prevent it in the future, they can negotiate it in the next contract they sign together.
As far as the NBA instituting a rule like that, I don't think it would be legal. My understanding is that you can't discriminate by nationality in this country.
Now, as a fan, you sure are entitled to vote with your money. I just seriously doubt fans of a successful team like the Spurs are going to turn their back on the team, and Manu specifically, because of what you mention. We're not the Miami Heat.

diego
08-03-2008, 07:56 PM

right, which is why you took the time to answer my arguments.

bottom line is:

1/ the NBA is subscribed to an IOC law that requires it to make all players available
2/ the NBA and players union are both in agreement as well.

you seem to think only americans live in the US, and you couldnt be more wrong. for the league, owners and execs, it is far more valuable to have a superstar from china and another from argentina, to give you a presence on different continents, than it is to have another from los angeles or oakland. neither the spurs nor the rockets would trade any of their foreign stars.

and finally, players have injuries anyway. dwayne wade didnt need to be old, foreign, and playing in international competition to miss half the season last year. but you have no problem paying for that, do you heat fan? because dwayne's american, and he can get injured however he likes

could it be that you just want to start some us vs them bullshit? nah, you're bringing nothing but constructive, well thought out arguments... that fly directly in the face everything your country has stood for in its 232 years of existence

good night

Anti.Hero
08-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Last season was THE year that would solidify the Spurs legacy. They failed. They lost that opportunity forever.

I hope Manu wipes the floor with Kobe.

samikeyp
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM

You can't have it both ways. You can't deny anyone the right to represent their country.

MaNuMaNiAc
08-03-2008, 08:57 PM
right, which is why you took the time to answer my arguments.

bottom line is:

1/ the NBA is subscribed to an IOC law that requires it to make all players available
2/ the NBA and players union are both in agreement as well.

you seem to think only americans live in the US, and you couldnt be more wrong. for the league, owners and execs, it is far more valuable to have a superstar from china and another from argentina, to give you a presence on different continents, than it is to have another from los angeles or oakland. neither the spurs nor the rockets would trade any of their foreign stars.

and finally, players have injuries anyway. dwayne wade didnt need to be old, foreign, and playing in international competition to miss half the season last year. but you have no problem paying for that, do you heat fan? because dwayne's american, and he can get injured however he likes

could it be that you just want to start some us vs them bullshit? nah, you're bringing nothing but constructive, well thought out arguments... that fly directly in the face everything your country has stood for in its 232 years of existence

good night

let it go, he doesn't get it... by now, he'll never get it :rolleyes

Manufan909
08-04-2008, 12:39 AM
yeah tell that to the people who purchase season tickets, and i promise they will tell you............thats why manu is just another 3 point shooter, if he makes 5 or 6 we may win, if he doesnt chances are we lose, havnt you been watching manu play as of late....his ankle isnt gonna get better, ankles never do

You idiot, have you seen any footage of Manu in the recent warmup games? His first step is back, because his ankle has almost completely healed. The dunks alone show this isn't WCF Manu, this is 07-08 season Manu.

your_pimp
08-04-2008, 03:21 AM

And this will be their excuse if they suck next season (most likely).

Every year they fail it is always an excuse, this year will be "Manure played summer ball" blah blah blah :blah:blah:blah

Lets not forget that a lot of NBA players will also be playing "sumer ball" including: Kobe Bryant, Wade, Yao Ming, Gasol, LeBron etc etc etc...

You will not have a legit excuse this time morons!

anakha
08-04-2008, 03:58 AM
And this will be their excuse if they suck next season (most likely).

You will not have a legit excuse this time morons!

Is that your prediction for the upcoming season, Louis? Just like your 'Suns will sweep' one? :lol

SuperManu!!!
08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
It's an NBA conspirary, they don't want NBA foreign players to go to the olympics so USA can win easily!!!! :lol

Darthkiller
08-04-2008, 10:51 AM
people that dont wanan manu play in olympic is obviously kobe supporters.

Cherry
08-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Meanwhile...

http://news.xinhuanet.com/olympics/2008-08/04/xin_0120805041823031555720.jpg

http://news.xinhuanet.com/olympics/2008-08/04/xin_3520805041825562406023.jpg

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/cba/p/2008-08-04/U2030P6T12D3835532F44DT20080804200113.jpg

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/cba/p/2008-08-04/U2030P6T12D3835528F44DT20080804195911.jpg:wow:devi l:makeout

Manufan909
08-04-2008, 11:55 AM
Second to last pic is NICE.

smeagol
08-04-2008, 01:40 PM

But . . . but . . . but . . . the Spurs pay the bills . . . :rollin

Nbadan
08-05-2008, 02:23 AM
I think POP is looking at this very seriously....playing Manu limited minutes in the regular season is an option, but not unless you have other players who can create their own shots or hit from the outside...hence the interest in Pargo over Finley....

carina_gino20
08-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Meanwhile...

http://i0.sinaimg.cn/ty/cba/p/2008-08-04/U2030P6T12D3835528F44DT20080804195911.jpg:wow:devi l:makeout

Plus this:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/6494/manu3hl2.jpg

The guys over at Manu's forum did this :):

http://www.mundoimg.com/imagenes/capturas/123359_mundoimg__u2030p6t12d3835528f44dt2008080419 5911.jpg

And here was the poor guy's reply (Post no. 13):

Todavia no entiendo como me convencen para hacer ciertas cosas!!

Dentro de las 1000 que debo haber hecho, justo eligieron esa con ESA caripela!! por favor! No digo que en las otras era Brad Pitt y/o George Clooney, pero menos Derek Z! (Que genio ese tipo!).

Les prometo que pronto sale alguna fotito de la villa, gimnasio o algo que inmortalice con mi camarola.

Cuidense. (http://manuginobili.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23027&start=2940)