PDA

View Full Version : No Longer Green, They're Going For The Gold

duncan228
08-02-2008, 01:30 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/08/02/no_longer_green_theyre_going_for_the_gold/

No longer green, they're going for the gold
By Marc J. Spears

Team USA looked out of place as it stepped on to the medal stage at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens. Though the players wore stone expressions, it was easy to see their disappointment as they bent over to receive their bronze medals in men's basketball. Soon after, they watched as Argentina received its gold medals and listened as the Argentine national anthem played.

The way LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, and Carlos Boozer remember that nightmarish part of USA Basketball's storied history, it might as well have been yesterday. And the only way the four returning members of the team will feel better is if they can win gold this month in Beijing.

"It didn't feel right," Anthony said. "It didn't feel right to step out there and receive a third-place award. We are supposed to be the best players in the world. I didn't like that feeling. I didn't enjoy that feeling at all.

"The Olympics is the biggest stage in the world. For us not to win that gold medal . . . Almost every time the USA team is expected to win a gold medal. It's kind of hard. It's kind of embarrassing."

Had everything gone the way it was supposed to for the US, James, Wade, Anthony, and Boozer would be participating in their first Olympics this month.

Because of injuries and personal reasons, 10 of the 12 players selected for Team USA for Athens declined. The only two who accepted were NBA stars Tim Duncan and Allen Iverson.

Scrambling to fill the roster, Anthony, James, Wade, Boozer, Amare Stoudemire, and Emeka Okafor were added to the squad. With tough Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown leading the way, the Americans averaged a mere 23 1/2 years of age.

"It was unfortunate to be put in the position they were because it was too early for them," USA Basketball's executive managing director Jerry Colangelo said. "They were too young. They were replacement players. They weren't ready for that.

"They came into a bad circumstance."

After struggling in several exhibition games, the US was shocked and embarrassed after a 92-73 beating at the hands of Puerto Rico in the first game of the 2004 Olympics. It was the first time Team USA lost an Olympic game since it began using NBA players in 1992. The Americans also lost to Lithuania in the preliminary round and Argentina in the semifinals to become the first US team to lose three Olympic games. The US defeated Lithuania to win the bronze, marking only the third time an American team failed to win the gold.

Along with being young and inexperienced, Team USA was mired with drama and immense pressure to win. Brown suspended Iverson, James, and Stoudemire during an exhibition game against Puerto Rico in Jacksonville, Fla., after they were late to a meeting. Anthony acknowledged the incident was "the beginning" of the troubles for the 2004 team.

"We had a meeting and they were like three to five minutes late," Anthony said. "Coach Brown said they couldn't play. We were kind of shocked. A.I. can't play. Amare can't play. LeBron can't play. We thought it was hurting our team. So to start off like that, you could say it carried over."

The players, most notably Anthony, didn't see eye to eye with Brown. Stoudemire and James played sparingly, while Anthony was in Brown's doghouse and seemed glued to the bench and engaged in a war of words that continued after Athens. James was even benched one game after Brown thought he showboated following a dunk.

"Not being able to go out there as an individual really hurt me more than anything at that time because I knew I could do some things to help our team win," said James, who averaged 5.4 points.

Wade, who averaged 7.3 points as a reserve, has been anxiously awaiting a chance at redemption.

"We've talked about it for four years. It's been a long four years," he said. "And now, thank God, the time has come where we can do something about it.

"Melo talks about it more than everybody. He was really hurt by what happened over there and the way he was perceived. He really wasn't able to help the team at all. He really wanted to help the team. I know that he really wants to win just as much as anyone else."

The scene is different with Team USA's returnees this year. The Americans have been playing together for three years after making a commitment to be placed in a large pool of players. Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski and his staff made three-year commitments, too. Team USA's roster is led by Jason Kidd and Kobe Bryant.

They've already won their first three exhibition games, the latest being last night's 120-84 thrashing of Lithuania in Macau.

Bryant (13 points) held Sarunas Jasikevicius to 9 points, with three turnovers. Jasikevicius starred against the US in Athens, hitting seven 3-pointers and scoring 28 points.

Wade scored 19 points, Dwight Howard had 17, and James 15. Just 2 1/2 minutes into the game, the Americans led by double digits.

Kidd is the only American on this year's squad with Olympic gold on his résumé, having earned his in 2000 in Sydney. If the Americans win gold in Beijing, don't be surprised if the Athens four are among the most emotional players during "The Star-Spangled Banner."

"The four guys that were there, myself, Dwyane, Melo, and LeBron, we feel we have a chance to rewrite that Athens history," Boozer said. "It doesn't [often] come around twice and we know that. We want to take advantage of this opportunity."

Wade echoed Boozer's sentiments.

"We are so thankful for getting another opportunity to win the gold and to erase what happened in '04."