PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Russia

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:00 AM
Anyone else up to watch this with me?

08-03-2008, 02:03 AM
you beat me to creating a thread by two minutes.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:03 AM
Gotcha!!

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:04 AM
I am going to do a quarter to quarter analysis.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:04 AM
Game on, Kobe already to the FT line.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:06 AM
Ak47 with the wild shot.

08-03-2008, 02:11 AM
kobe has to stop forcing shots.

duncan228
08-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Nice to know I'm not the only one not sleeping. This may be the first game I see all of.

duncan228
08-03-2008, 02:23 AM
Who are the commentators?

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:26 AM
AK47 with some wild shots, good blocks and almost picking up the T.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:27 AM
First Quarter:

Team USA started the 1st quarter with a trip to the free throw line from Kobe. He then forces a turn over on the other end. He is quite the tenacious defender. They have done a good job at getting to the line in most every game. Seems like the USA, true to form, is trying to pound the ball inside to Dwight early when they can. Another forced turnover from team USA leads to a thunderous Lebron dunk. Team USA's defense is much improved today; forcing turnovers, nice rotations and rebounding.

First basket from Russia comes 3 minutes into the first off of a nice shake and bake. The half court offense for the USA is breaking down a little. They are resorting to the NBA one-on-one a little too much and not moving the ball. AK-47 goes inside off a half court play and ties it 9-9. The energy has dropped a little and the USA is not running as much as they should. Russia is hanging in there, playing better defense now and not turning the ball over as much.

Chris Paul has entered the game at the 4:30 mark of the quarter. Russia is doing a nice job in the half court now. AK-47 is the focal point right now and just got to the line on Lebron. Wade is playing with the best energy right now; he is shooting well, rebounding and getting to the rim. Deron Williams entered the game at the 3:40 mark of the quarter. Deron Williams with a nice full court pressure steal and assist to a steaking Paul.

Team USA is still gambling a lot on defense. They have great energy when pressuring and trapping, but often look disorganized when the trap is broken. AK-47 with a monster block on Melo inside that leads to the Russians getting to the free throw line at the other end (hit both, score 20-14 USA in the lead). Bosh since entering has done a nice job of getting inside and to the line. Good entry passes and good hands by the USA bigs.

Pressure from the guards has been the story for team USA in this first quarter. They have caused a lot of turnovers and then run out on the break to get easy buckets. Plenty of free throws for team USA in the first. One of the better defensive quarters for the USA. Solid offense that got a little stagnant for a while, but the constant getting inside by both the bigs and guards have helped.

AK-47 is already getting upset. The end of the 1st is near and he is getting animated over some calls/non-calls. He then gets to the line with 22 seconds left and misses the first, hits the second. Paul to Williams for 3 to end the 1st: 29-17 for the USA.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:30 AM
Who are the commentators?

I think it is Rick Kamla and ??

duncan228
08-03-2008, 02:34 AM
I think it is Rick Kamla and ??

Thanks. I thought it sounded like Kamla but he hasn't said freaks yet. :lol
I don't know who the other one is either.

KidCongo
08-03-2008, 02:36 AM
fuck the commentators are dead shits

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Fran Frashilla (sp?)

Russians hanging around.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Lebron to Kobe was bad ass!

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:40 AM
Lebronz looking to take over.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Lebronz looking to take over, but comming up short.

Fixed.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:43 AM
Deron Williams is a stud.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:44 AM
For you commentator fans Mike Breen and Doug Collins for the Olympic games.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:47 AM
Pashootin? , more like Pabrickin.

KidCongo
08-03-2008, 02:50 AM
The camera is on the wrong side of the court. The sponsors logo's on the hardwood face the other way.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Kobe with the ridiculously long 3 ball, brick.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Pabrikin sticks it between the rim and the backboard, where is the box for this game, this guy sucks.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 02:55 AM
Quarter 2:

Prince is in to start the 2nd. Russia starts out with a basket and then Wade turns it over on the other end. AK-47 hits a jumper on the turnover. Prince comes down and hits a baseline jumper. Better defense with USA, and Russia uses another intentional foul off the turnover. Lebron and Kobe enter the game off the foul and Lebron gets into the lane so effortlessly for the lay in immediately. So smooth and powerful. Great ball movement by the USA, inside out with Lebron. Then perimeter passes do not lead to the basket, but good offense on the possesion. AK-47 is showing a nice array of offensive moves: jumper, inside post. USA leads 33-25.

Russia is really playing nice team defense. More man-to-man than zone, but a little zone tossed in. Forced some turnovers on team USA. The offense has stalled for USA, they have the movement but are a little sloppy and shots are not falling; give credit to Russia's defense. Very even game so far, if Russia would just cut the turnovers out they would be closer than 8 points.

Still struggling on offense is USA. Good example of what is going on was this last play. Quazi zone from Russia and the USA just spreads and leaves Lebron 1 on 1 and he is forced into a tough shot. Kobe with a sick jam to possibly kick start the offense. USA's defense has been consistent. High pressure, forcing turnovers and rebounding well. They have only allowed 8 points halfway through the quarter. Just as a side note, it is funny to watch Kobe defend. He seems to be using the same move Battier used when he guarded Kobe so well (the hand in the face on the jump shot).

Williams with a nice entry pass to Boozer for the reverse. AK-47 is playing well, just chased down an offensive rebound and the next possession he makes a sweet pass to a back door cutter. Then he draws the foul on Boozer the next possession to get to the free throw line. I have always like AK, and thought he would make a perfect Spur! Williams is really energizing the team. Wade continues to shoot well as he gets the bounce off a tear drop. He then forces a steal and Kobe flies out of bounds to save it. Williams to Boozer gets another quality look, but it does not fall. Just as I was about to write that Russia has done a better job of taking care of the ball, Wade with another steal and flush.

It is now an 12 point game (43-31) and turnovers have been the reason. Kobe is fierce on defense. He really has a great attitude and sets the tone for the "up in your grill" style of "d" that team USA is playing. Williams has made some nice passes and has really been the most consistent in running the offense. Nice entry passes and perimeter passing as well. He made a tough pass to Melo that led to free throws with a minute left in the quarter. USA gets another stop (thank god, because from the latter half of the 1st until now the offense has not looked sharp. Credit Russia's defense for some of that). Wade with an absolute monster offensive rebound and gets fouled with 8 seconds left.

Story of the 1st half: Both teams defense and turnovers. Kind of an ugly, grind it out game except for the breaks off of the turnovers. Wade had a monster half and Williams looked sharp. AK-47 had a very nice half as well. Half time score: 46-31 in favor of team USA.

ThunderStix®
08-03-2008, 03:02 AM
Go USA! They better win the gold this year.

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/4/american_flag_pictures_t2684.jpg

It's time to clean house!

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 03:09 AM
Go USA! They better win the gold this year.

http://www.hickerphoto.com/data/media/4/american_flag_pictures_t2684.jpg

It's time to clean house!

Indeed! I love watching Olympic basketball.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:17 AM
Russians need to take it to Chris Paul as much as possible, his D is looking weak.

08-03-2008, 03:23 AM
USA is playing nuggets style basketball now. everyone for themselves. got to get control back to the point guards. probably should put in jason kidd since the team isn't responding to chris paul.

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:26 AM
ak47 is abusing melo.

kobe missed that??

cmon team usa.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:28 AM
Kidd is a good idea, I think they need to start going low to Howard too. Coach K doesn't seem to agree, Russians just down 8 with 3:52 to go in the 3rd.

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:30 AM
i wonder if kidd is even gonna play in the 2nd half....i dont know why he wouldnt but the announcers were yappin about it earlier.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
I like how Wade chucks the ball at the rim every time the whistle blows even if he is at 3/4 court.

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:32 AM
redd is the best shooter on this team.. he should play more imo.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Kidd is old coach K wants to save him for when the games count.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 03:33 AM
Quarter 3:

Interesting that Kidd does not start the 3rd, he has been out for a while. CP3, Melo, Dwight, Lebron and Kobe start. Better passing leads to a Melo baseline jumper off the iso and he hits. USA defense forces a turnover on Russia's first offensive possession. Lebron is just a beast at getting inside. He really is the perfect balance of grace, power and speed. True to this games form, AK draws the foul (non-shooting). AK blows by Melo but misses the lay in thanks to a nice rotation from Howard. CP3 hits Kobe in the corner for a 3 ball. AK is abusing Melo and laced a sick pass down the middle of the USA's defense.

After starting out the quarter with nice ball movement, USA is looking sloppy. Kobe is trying to assert himself a little more, he has taken 3 shots in a row. He has made 2 of them. USA looks a little unfocused in this quarter. AK with the steal and pushes it. He then dishes it for an assist. Back to back turnovers for team USA. It is now a ten point game (54-44). Kobe hits immediately. AK with a sick drive/scoop. Russia is upping the defense with another forced turnover. USA looks lethargic. Melo is asleep this quarter defensively as he commits a shooting foul and puts Russia at the line with a chance to cut the lead to 8 after the timeout.

Bosh is in. Kobe hits a contested shot off of terrible offense. AK to the rim again for the layup. The hybrid zone that Russia is playing (more man-to-man) is causing USA to just not move the ball. If it was not for Kobe beating his man and hitting tough jumpers, USA would be in bad shape in this quarter. Russia has been active and have kept the deficit to only 8.

Williams and Wade are in. Williams instantly makes a sick pass to Kobe off the turnover and Kobe misses the layup after the ridiculous spin move. Wade has brought the energy still and causes a turnover and then hits a really tough shot. USA with another turnover as Redd enters the game. Wade with another steal and fouled in the open court. He is playing the best by far along with Deron. Redd hits a 3 off a Wade pass. Not great ball movement, but a much needed shot to open things up. This has been one of the worst quarters in all of the tune-ups for team USA. Russia has played very good defense and had some nice offensive possessions but they have turned the ball over a lot. USA has defended actively, with the exception of falling asleep by Melo and CP3 in this quarter.

Williams to Wade off the turnover. Nice fast break. Bosh looks a little lost on both ends. Williams comes up with the rebound, pushes it, hits Redd for the 3. Score is 71-51 to end the third. Wade, Kobe and Williams really fueled all the positive things in that quarter. Nice push by the last unit to end the 3rd. Still no Kidd?

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:34 AM
Redd is going to be key on this team, I always thought Team USA could use his shooting. Tim Duncan was the best shooter on the 2004 team.

08-03-2008, 03:35 AM
the coaches don't want to risk injury and put kidd in. i want to see if he can really control the USA team. deron williams did a decent job. USA defense is still sucking.

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:39 AM
at least we are 22 pts ahead now.....but there is A LOT to improve on, especially on defense....too bad that its not going to.

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Wade, Kobe and Williams have taken over this game.

KidCongo
08-03-2008, 03:46 AM
man LeBrons gotta stop putting on muscle

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:49 AM
lebron looks really mad....at the refs?? or just simple frustration?

Rynospursfan
08-03-2008, 03:50 AM
Kobe calls glass on the 3 ball. So you guys think the USA can beat the Spanish team?

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 03:52 AM
im surprised coach k hasnt put the lower end of team usa's bench in already.

edit: here they come...i think.

Hank the Tank
08-03-2008, 04:00 AM
well wasnt the greatest game by team usa but we still beat em.

hope dwight will beat up on bogut on monday.

DPG21920
08-03-2008, 04:03 AM
Quarter 4:

Bosh, Redd, Deron, Melo and Wade are in to start the 4th. First basket of the quarter to team USA and it puts them up by 22 (73-51). Banked in 3 for Russia, no! Melo immediately responds with a jumper. Melo commits a foul, he has really had a poor defensive game despite team USA's very good defense tonight. AK with a nice behind the back move is fouled and makes it, but it will not count. Kobe comes back in along with Lebron. AK-47 misses both but chases down the board to keep possession.

Lebron with a bullet pass inside to a cutting Kobe who is fouled on the floor. Chris Paul comes in. Lebron misses, Russia rebounds, Wade steals and dishes to Melo for the put back. The game is still being played at the slower pace, mostly half court sets for both sides. Kobe with a steal, throws the alley-oop to Wade but AK steals it then gets an offensive rebound and free throws on the possession. Lebron fouls out with 10 points. Jason Kidd has not played one minute in the second half. Melo has rebounded well this game, along with scored nicely (mostly off of nice passes from Wade and Williams), but done little else. Wade with another assist to Melo.

The lead for USA is hovering around 22 with 4 minutes left and AK is at the free throw line again. So much dribbling from USA and not enough ball movement. USA is trying to run out, but CP3 made a bad decision last possession. Prince, Dwight, CP3, Williams and Redd are in for the last 2:30. USA wins 89-68

Analysis: Team USA's gambling, high pressure defense worked well today. For the most part, they caused a ton of turnovers and everyone with the exception of Melo and CP3 have had great energy defensively. Will it work against better teams? Not sure, because when the press is broken, USA looks lost. Offensively this was the worst game I have seen from USA. Not much ball movement, too much 1-on-1 and to often stagnant. When they moved the ball, they looked fantastic (go figure) and they are so athletically superior that the isolations do work well, even though it becomes predictable. Williams, Wade and Kobe carried this team tonight.

Russia played well defensively for the most part. They had what I like to call an active man-to-man/hybrid zone defensive scheme. They caused some turnovers and rebounded well, but were just over matched athletically and in skill. They had some nice moments offensively (mostly from AK-47) and did a good job of getting to the line. Solid team that was well disciplined.

08-03-2008, 04:11 AM
USA pick and roll defense needs to improve fast. jose calderon and marc/pau gasol will rip through USA defense like nothing at the current pace. most of it is just laziness and trying to reach in for the steal in order to get a highlight. spain, greece, and argentina won't miss their free opportunities.

rj215
08-03-2008, 04:21 AM
The one thing about all the pre-Olympics games that stood out to me is how weak and soft Bosh looks even against mediocre competition.

I wanted the Spurs to sign him in 2010 since he's from Texas but man he looked so-so at best....

mavsfan1000
08-03-2008, 05:01 AM
Kidd is old coach K wants to save him for when the games count.
Why would he go back with Kidd when the team has a better chemistry and experience playing with Paul and D. Williams? I think he decided Kidd is not good enough to run this team compared to those other 2. Kidd is 3rd string.

KidCongo
08-03-2008, 05:02 AM
Williams should be first choice off bench.

stretch
08-03-2008, 09:08 AM
the only thing that somewhat concerned me was the desicion making by guys like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Kobe, and Carmello. There were far too many times they were just looking for the flashy play or alley oop instead of the easy bucket. Now i know its only exhibition, so im sure they are just trying to put on a show. but when the real games start, they cant be messing around like that. they gotta show more maturity and always go for the easy, high percentage buckets over all else.

i must say though, chris paul really is a great answer for the US when teams throw zone defenses at them. i dont think there is a better player at breaking down zone defenses than chris paul, because he is so crafty at splitting through the doubles and finishing with a tear drop over the opposing center, or kicking it out to the open man. other guys like kobe, lebron, and carmello force a bad shot way too often, and many times drive wrecklessly, just hoping for a foul instead of trying to actually score or find the open man.

all in all, im liking what i have seen out of the US so far, and they should be able to win gold fairly easily.

angelbelow
08-03-2008, 01:46 PM
dang, low scoring game.

mrspurs
08-03-2008, 06:18 PM
either way the games is gonna be boring like most of them...i think that happens to often, team usa gets bored then when they need to play, they forget how to when its medal time

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-03-2008, 07:13 PM
did Travis Hansen play for russia?

EDIT: I just saw a box score, nope.

DPG21920
08-04-2008, 02:34 AM
Damn, I stayed up late and put a lot of work into my analysis, what did yall think? I was just practicing live blogging for the hell of it...

balli
08-04-2008, 02:52 AM
the only thing that somewhat concerned me was the desicion making by guys like Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Kobe, and Carmello. There were far too many times they were just looking for the flashy play or alley oop instead of the easy bucket. Now i know its only exhibition, so im sure they are just trying to put on a show. but when the real games start, they cant be messing around like that. they gotta show more maturity and always go for the easy, high percentage buckets over all else.

i must say though, chris paul really is a great answer for the US when teams throw zone defenses at them. i dont think there is a better player at breaking down zone defenses than chris paul, because he is so crafty at splitting through the doubles and finishing with a tear drop over the opposing center, or kicking it out to the open man. other guys like kobe, lebron, and carmello force a bad shot way too often, and many times drive wrecklessly, just hoping for a foul instead of trying to actually score or find the open man.

all in all, im liking what i have seen out of the US so far, and they should be able to win gold fairly easily.

Not sure what game you saw, but all I know is that Deron Williams absolutely tore it up and was BY FAR (no question about it) the best player on the floor last night. And he didn't play recklessy or flashy at all. Chris Paul on the other hand sucked ass and did nothing other than hit one shot (a Deron assist) while maing several dumb and flashy turnovers.

KidCongo
08-04-2008, 02:57 AM
Not sure what game you saw, but all I know is that Deron Williams absolutely tore it up and was BY FAR (no question about it) the best player on the floor last night. And he didn't play recklessy or flashy at all. Chris Paul on the other hand sucked ass and did nothing other than hit one shot (a Deron assist) while maing several dumb and flashy turnovers.

I agree. Deron plays FIBA ball much better than CP3 does. Paul is too small.

mrspurs
08-04-2008, 07:27 AM
ak47 is abusing melo.

kobe missed that??

cmon team usa.

i saw that too, my kids were laughing..........melo sucks, always has, always will

mrspurs
08-04-2008, 07:31 AM
The one thing about all the pre-Olympics games that stood out to me is how weak and soft Bosh looks even against mediocre competition.

I wanted the Spurs to sign him in 2010 since he's from Texas but man he looked so-so at best....

another reason i dont understand why anyone would pay bosh so much money......at best he's a 6th man...toronto is dumb, they sign the biggest flukes

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-04-2008, 09:39 AM
another reason i dont understand why anyone would pay bosh so much money......at best he's a 6th man...toronto is dumb, they sign the biggest flukes

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/Mr_Bottomtooth/1129995500-toostupid.jpg

stretch
08-04-2008, 10:27 AM

i didnt mean to type deron, that was an accident, because yes he played well. although i have noticed a few times so far in these games (again, exhibition, so im not putting much stock into it, but its just something i noticed) that he would look for his own shot first and come down on the fast break taking a quick pull-up jumper. in these games, being the point guard, his sole focus should be on making it easier for the scorers (lebron, kobe, wade, carmello) with good desicion making, presice passing, and good leadership. again, not that he isnt doing those things. i just have noticed a few times he seemed to force a shot, but im sure he wont be doing that when the olympics actually start.