PDA

View Full Version : Pop a prospect for the Lakers job?

usckk
02-06-2005, 10:02 AM
Other prospects the Lakers position would attract are former Lakers coach Pat Riley, Detroit's Larry Brown, San Antonio's Gregg Popovich (should he prefer lusher limelights), University of Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun and the retired Chuck Daly. If the Lakers lower their demands, the high-energy, hard-driving, very knowledgeable Doug Collins might be a suitable replacement for the rest of the season. Collins would love to coach Bryant. Coaching Michael Jordan gave him a crush on great guards.

Mark in Austin
02-06-2005, 10:18 AM
Pretty dumb speculation. Pop's disdain for all the hype and BS that would come with coaching ellay is obvious. And why leave a better team with a brighter future, and a better franchise player for Kobe and tablescraps? It would never happen.

Speculating that he would prefer a "lusher limelight" is the equivalent of speculating that Duncan might decide to cut a rap album this summer and try acting because he wants people to see "the other side of T-DUNK". In other words, it is pretty close to mental :jack .

genghisrex
02-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Without a link, I don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this was written by an L.A. writer -- i.e. someone who can't imagine anyone not wanting to coach (or play) in Tinseltown amidst the glitz and glamour. Well, imagine Gregg Popovich.

Jimcs50
02-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Pop go to LA?

Hmmmm, maybeeeee.

Hollywood Hills

They stood there bright as the sun
On that California coast
He was a Midwestern coach on his own They looked at him with those soft eyes
So innocent and blue
He knew right then he was too far from home
He was too far from home
They took his hand and they led him along that golden beach
They watched the waves tumble over the sand
They drove for miles and miles
Up those twisting turning roads
Higher and higher and higher they climbed

And those Hollywood nights
In those Hollywood hills
They were looking so right
In their banners and frills
Oh those big city nights
In those high rolling hills
Above all the lights
They had all of their wiles

He'd headed west cause he felt that a change would do him good
See some old friends, good for the soul
They had the stars, Jack, Denzel and Diane
The beautiful people, courtside sippin on their wine
He saw those faces and he lost all control
He had lost all control
Night after night
Day after day
It went on and on
Then waking up with Jeannie Buss, hungover and feeling low
He spent all night staring down at the lights of LA
Wondering if he could ever go back to San Antonio

And those Hollywood nights
In those Hollywood hills
It was giving him chills
In those big city nights
Above all the lights
With a passion that kills

In those Hollywood nights
In those Hollywood hills
In their banners and frills
Oh those big city nights
Above all the lights
They had all of their skills

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I'm surprised Jim didn't start this thread as a warm-up for the trading deadline.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-06-2005, 11:25 AM
I dont know, i think T-Dunk said something the other day about needing to work on his street cred.

SequSpur
02-06-2005, 11:30 AM
Pop would absolutely melt down in LA, dude can't control himself on the sidelines now with blowing an artery.

RobinsontoDuncan
02-06-2005, 12:01 PM
i think the only other places pop would be consider as a coach would be Miami and Clevland.

Useruser666
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
California Dreaming
~ The Mamas and The Pop's

All the fans are down
And Pop's hair is grey
Phil's been for a walk
On opening day

Malik be safe and warm
If Pop was in L.A.
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

Pop sits up on his perch
As the coach of S.A.
Oh, the media got down on it's knees
And Jim Grey began to pray

You know the teacher likes the fold
He knows he's gonna stay
California dreamin'
On Tex Winter's play

All the team is down
And the purple's turned to gray
Kobe can't even walk
Gathering splinters everyday

If he didn't pay her
He'd be in Colorado today
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

(California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
(California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

ALVAREZ6
02-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Retarded thread, Pop would never go to LA.

He has the best team.

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2005, 01:47 PM
California Dreaming
~ The Mamas and The Pop's

All the fans are down
And Pop's hair is grey
Phil's been for a walk
On opening day

Malik be safe and warm
If Pop was in L.A.
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

Pop sits up on his perch
As the coach of S.A.
Oh, the media got down on it's knees
And Jim Grey began to pray

You know the teacher likes the fold
He knows he's gonna stay
California dreamin'
On Tex Winter's play

All the team is down
And the purple's turned to gray
Kobe can't even walk
Gathering splinters everyday

If he didn't pay her
He'd be in Colorado today
California dreamin'
On such a winter's day

(California dreamin')
On such a winter's day
(California dreamin')
On such a winter's day

Man, you're pretty talented.

And I'm not just talking about that thing SW says you do with your foot.

:cooldevil :eyebrows

T Park
02-06-2005, 02:08 PM
pop will coach the lakers the same time Ill be voted Most Valuable Poster.

ChumpDumper
02-06-2005, 02:56 PM
I can't think of a non-owner more in control of a franchise right now than Pop. This is obviously the perfect situation for the press-hating control freak he is. He'll give up the Spurs when they pry them from his cold, dead hands.

IX_Equilibrium
02-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Why even make this thread?

It would never happen

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Since when did Ducks start posting as "usckk"?

This thread sounds like some of his gems.

ducks
02-06-2005, 04:49 PM
ducks has onl one screen

whottt
02-06-2005, 05:00 PM
The only thing keeping Pop here is the control he has...I think if he was offered more control(which probably isn't possible), and more money at a higher profile organization...he'd be gone quicker than you can blink an eyelash...And the Spurs organization would be in serious trouble.

But isn't Pop locked into a longterm deal anyway? Same with RC? I thought the rule was that FO guys and coaches can only break their contracts if they get offered a position of greater power...a promotion. I know that's how it works in the NFL.

I think Pop and RC are locked up for the long haul with no one being able to easily offer them a position of greater authority...aren't they both VP's? I thought the Spurs took care of RC a few years ago when Portland was interested...and Pop has been about as high as a guy can get since the Spurs brought him back. I think the only thing a team could offer Pop, that he doesn't already have, is partial ownership

ZStomp
02-06-2005, 05:04 PM
What the F? Where did this "speculation" come from?

Is there a link?

Experiment2100
02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
think Pop and RC are locked up for the long haul with no one being able to easily offer them a position of greater authority...aren't they both VP's?

I think Pop turned over complete VP in title to RC to focus on just coaching a couple of years ago.

redeye
02-06-2005, 05:26 PM
:lol :lol This is funny and stupid.... :rolleyes :rolleyes
But..... I wonder if Pop would ever leave at some point?

whottt
I think Pop turned over complete VP in title to RC to focus on just coaching a couple of years ago.

No way. Pop promoted(with the blessing of ownership I assume) RC from assistant GM to GM(and maybe a VP post as well)...but Pop is still the VP of something...he just gave up his official role as GM.

And the reason he did that is because, RC obviously deserved a promotion, and Portland had it's sights on him as their GM.

But Pop is still a VP with tremendous pull and the only guys he answers to are the owners.

I'm am certain he still outranks RC in terms of organizational pull, something he wouldn't be able to do if he was just a coach.

I just can't see Pop demoting himself, while giving himself another boss, and I can't see him not being offended if the owners basically fired him from his GM spot..so he was behind all of that...

Basically, I think he gave RC the official title for the duties he was already performing unofficially...at least that's what my perception was.

redeye
to another team....

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 05:43 PM
I think RC is Senior Vice President and General Manager and Pop is Vice President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach.

Kori Ellis
02-06-2005, 05:45 PM
By the way, I found the link.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/banks/cst-spt-banx06.html

Chicago Sun Times, Lacy Banks

Russ
02-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Pop is way too much of a a control freak to get involved with the Lakers at this point. Kupchak calling Pop in for a talk after a losing streak? Pop would probably just kill him before he could open his mouth.

exstatic
02-06-2005, 06:58 PM
Why would Pop leave, with the core resigned for a few years, anyway?

ChumpDumper
02-06-2005, 08:19 PM
The only thing keeping Pop here is the control he hasThat and multiple title possiblilties.

He's not Larry Brown.

FromWayDowntown
02-07-2005, 07:45 PM
And the Spurs organization would be in serious trouble.

I don't get this comment. You've devoted significant bandwidth in another thread to arguing that Gregg Popovich has a win-at-all-costs attitude, and castigating him for dragging the franchise through the scum that such an attitude begets. You argue that such an attitude is a bad thing. Now you're arguing that the Spurs would be in serious trouble without Pop. Are you a fan of serious trouble? Are your takes just inconsistent? Are you just trying to see who's listening? Is there some ridiculously fine-line distinction you're trying to make? I'm really confused. . . . .