PDA

View Full Version : Fedor / UFC

Evan
08-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I tried to bump our previous thread like this but it looks like everything before April is gone. Weird.

Question: By the way, Couture said that he is ready to fight with Fedor.

Finkelstein: I can tell you that if UFC will negotiate with us then this fight can happen this year maybe within the bounds of our joint tournament with UFC. We are ready to negotiate, the fighters are ready, everything is ready, the only deal is with UFC policy headed on their separation and singularity.

ATRAIN
08-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I hope this happens soon!!

Evan
08-04-2008, 12:32 PM
I hope this happens soon!!

I think Fedor's team may finally be realizing that there is nothing out there but the UFC for him to make money. I'm sure their smart enough to realize that Affliction is too unstable.

Who knows….this thing will change on a dime.

dbreiden83080
08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
After all this hype, when this fight finally happens, we are likely destined for a huge let-down.

LEONARD
08-04-2008, 05:15 PM
Who knows….this thing will change on a dime.

Could stop on a dime too!!

Evan
08-04-2008, 05:48 PM
Could stop on a dime too!!

I got that cliche right you sum-bitch

oligarchy
08-05-2008, 09:53 AM
Won't happen.. there's nothing there for the UFC.

Fedor wants exclusivity, which UFC isn't going to agree with. So, that leaves a one-fight deal. Randy is the champion, so the belt is technically on the line. If he loses, Fedor has the belt and is gone. Not happening. UFC gains nothing from this. It make more sense for the UFC to sit on Randy's contract so no smaller orgs can put this fight together.

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:24 AM
Won't happen.. there's nothing there for the UFC.

Fedor wants exclusivity, which UFC isn't going to agree with. So, that leaves a one-fight deal. Randy is the champion, so the belt is technically on the line. If he loses, Fedor has the belt and is gone. Not happening. UFC gains nothing from this. It make more sense for the UFC to sit on Randy's contract so no smaller orgs can put this fight together.

The one thing that may be appealing is the easy of the UFC HW division as it stands right now along with a massive paycheck. You got Cain, Carwin and Lesnar who could all be studs one day but they are so far and away from Fedor there is basically no challenges for him at this point. Everyone who has a chance to beat him his outside the UFC now.

desflood
08-05-2008, 10:28 AM
Evan, who do you think has a chance to beat Fedor right now (in any org.)? Out of curiosity.

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Evan, who do you think has a chance to beat Fedor right now (in any org.)? Out of curiosity.

Anything can happen but damn near nobody. I used to think it was Tim because of his weird size and elbows…get him against a cage wall and pound on him. Get a cut. Hahaha….Tim couldn't even take 5 steps before he was done let alone work him into a cage wall. Ropes were irrelevant.

Someone will arise of course, greatness is finite. But now…the HW div in MMA is so depleted I just can't see anyone.

You?

polandprzem
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Barnett is a lucky bastard, he could win (with emelianenko) with his diabolic approach.
Although he had problems with Nastula one day so you never know.

desflood
08-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Eh... I'm with you on this one. Figured Tim might have a shot because he's so awkward, but obviously not. I'd like to say Randy, but we all know better. There's Nog... but probably no to that one also. Damn you, Fedor, for being so good.

desflood
08-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Barnett is a lucky bastard, he could win (with emelianenko) with his diabolic approach.
Now, there's a definite maybe.

Evan
08-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Eh... I'm with you on this one. Figured Tim might have a shot because he's so awkward, but obviously not. I'd like to say Randy, but we all know better. There's Nog... but probably no to that one also. Damn you, Fedor, for being so good.

And damn his managers for depriving us of his greatness for so long with exhibition matches.

Evan
08-05-2008, 11:01 AM

You're right

But I'm not sure what to make of that guy. For some reason I can't get a gauge on him. Guess its been too long since we saw him in regular action.

angelbelow
08-07-2008, 10:31 PM
fedor> all HW

djohn14
08-07-2008, 10:51 PM
fedor> all HW

Arent you forgetting about Tank Abbott?

angelbelow
08-08-2008, 02:46 AM
Arent you forgetting about Tank Abbott?

my bad :bang

Evan
08-11-2008, 09:47 PM
eh.......................

looks like Fedor is fighting a Sumo/Judo wrestler can for NYE. I am neither surprised or disappointing. This is just what Fedya will do every NYE for his Japanese fans...As long as he only does his BS exhibition fights once a year now and at least gives us 2 real fights you can't complain too much I suppose.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/josh_gross/08/11/fedor.update/index.html?eref=writers

djohn14
08-12-2008, 11:42 AM
http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2008/08/12/randy-couture-and-fedor-meet-in-la/

The above is one of several photos being distributed by UFC heavyweight champion (that’s right, he’s still their heavyweight champ) Randy Couture’s camp depicting Couture and WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko socializing Monday night at Los Angeles-area hot spot “STK.”

In the release of the photos there was no mention of business being discussed between either men. Couture has recently been quoted as being less optimistic about a much-anticipated “dream” fight between the two men and there is no word whether the two met regarding a possible fight last night or if the photos are being distributed simply to grab some headlines (in which case, mission accomplished).

Reports indicate that Couture and the UFC have entered into arbitration in recent weeks in an attempt to resolve their long-standing contractual feud. Is there light at the end of the tunnel, or is this just a tease?

Im sure its nothing, but I just wanted to post it.

ATRAIN
08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
^^but where would they fight?

djohn14
08-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Dont know. Couture screwed himself by getting into this conflict with Dana. Couture said it could still happen in UFC, but It probably wont happen at all.

Evan
08-12-2008, 12:31 PM
^^but where would they fight?

Ouside the UFC Hdnet will be involved….they already have something in place. Inside the UFC…Hdnet will not be involved.

dallaskd
08-23-2008, 12:31 AM
bump.

Evan
08-28-2008, 07:57 PM
I have a feeling by the end of 09 he will be in the UFC. But I doubt the Randy fight will ever happen.

dallaskd
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
I say Randy comes back to the UFC for 2 fights, goes 1-1. THEN, fedor comes.

Evan
08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
I say Randy comes back to the UFC for 2 fights, goes 1-1. THEN, fedor comes.

Well Randy is never coming back if he expects to get 1 fight and then be released...the UFC gains nothing from that and its simply stupid for him to even request it.

dallaskd
08-28-2008, 08:07 PM
yeah i think the UFC wont mind if he comes back for 2 fights though. say he beats an icon like Lesnar and people are shocked how he did it at 44, then he fights Nog or Mir and retires. But then who would they have fight for the title if Couture wins? I can't see him fighting at 45. Maybe right after he retires they can bring in Fedor and have him replace Couture and people wont even think about randy anymore.

Evan
08-28-2008, 08:10 PM
yeah i think the UFC wont mind if he comes back for 2 fights though.

100% agree

desflood
08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
More rumors...

Reigning UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture could return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship by year's end as part of an out-of-court settlement with the organization.

Multiple sources close to the fighter, speaking exclusively to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), today said that Couture is willing to fight once more for the UFC, possibly before the end of the year, as a potential resolution to his ongoing legal battles with the fight promotion.

However, Couture himself could not be reached for comment, and it's unknown if the UFC is even considering the offer at this point.

According to one source, as part of Couture's concession to return the octagon, the 45-year-old UFC hall-of-famer would want to walk away "clear and free" from the organization after the bout.

Couture (16-8 MMA, 13-5 UFC), who hasn't fought since a third-round TKO victory over fellow UFC heavyweight Gabriel Gonzaga in August 2007, resigned from the organization two months later over what he perceived to be a lack of respect from UFC officials, issues over his pay, and the UFC's inability to sign then-top free agent Fedor Emelianenko.

However, Zuffa LLC officials believe, per his fight contract, that Couture's next two bouts must be in the UFC. Couture had said that he wanted his resignation upheld so he could move on with his career, including a potential bout with Emelianenko outside the UFC.

BWS-1994
08-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Maybe De La Hoya and Pacquiao's $100 million fight would make all parties think of making this dream fight happen, if at least only to generate more $s.

desflood
08-29-2008, 05:25 PM
If it were anybody else running the show, they would make it happen. But since it's Dana White... money isn't the bottom line for him anymore. His ego is. And in the long run, I think it'll probably cost the UFC a lot.

Evan
08-29-2008, 06:17 PM
If it were anybody else running the show, they would make it happen. But since it's Dana White... money isn't the bottom line for him anymore. His ego is. And in the long run, I think it'll probably cost the UFC a lot.

Fedor has a non compete clause for the US

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2008/8/29/603880/randy-couture-update

Evan
08-29-2008, 06:30 PM

by the way...Dana has been neutered. Don't underestimate the impact Lorenzo will have behind the scenes. I think Dana took the UFC as far as he could go and I suspect the Randy, TV and Fedor issues are all being handled by him. I just find it too much of a coincidence that a short time after he comes on board full time these three things are close to happening at one time.

desflood
08-30-2008, 10:27 AM
Good point. There's a sneaking suspicion in the back of my mind that at some point Lorenzo will make a decision, he and Dana will clash and Dana will leave the UFC in a huff and begin his own org. Not right away, of course. Five or ten years down the road, maybe...

djohn14
08-31-2008, 09:10 AM
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that a potential Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko fight is currently being discussed for January or February of 2009. The UFC is currently negotiating with both Couture and Emelianenko. The fight is still a long shot, however it seems that UFC officials are willing to get this fight together now more than ever. It is still rumored that Couture will face Brock Lesnar in Portland, Oregon on November 15 at UFC 91 and the Emelianenko fight may go down depending on how that fight turns out. Xtreme Couture is currently making travel arrangements with larger heavyweights as sparring partners for Couture which has many people assuming that Couture is preparing himself for a fight with Lesnar. The UFC is expected to make an announcement on a new contract sometime next week.

dbreiden83080
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
MMAJunkie.com is reporting that a potential Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko fight is currently being discussed for January or February of 2009. The UFC is currently negotiating with both Couture and Emelianenko. The fight is still a long shot, however it seems that UFC officials are willing to get this fight together now more than ever. It is still rumored that Couture will face Brock Lesnar in Portland, Oregon on November 15 at UFC 91 and the Emelianenko fight may go down depending on how that fight turns out. Xtreme Couture is currently making travel arrangements with larger heavyweights as sparring partners for Couture which has many people assuming that Couture is preparing himself for a fight with Lesnar. The UFC is expected to make an announcement on a new contract sometime next week.

Randy is NUTS to fight Brock with a Fedor fight banking on him winning that fight. Brock is a fucking load and not a great matchup for Randy at all. He can't outwrestle Brock or press him on the cage for long stretches and dirty box him in the clinch. Brock is too damn big and strong. Randy will be giving up about 40 pds, 2 inches, 14 years and a truckload of athletic ability to Brock. I see that fight as a toss up honestly, maybe leaning toward Brock taking it. If Randy wins, i can't see it being dominant.

angelbelow
10-02-2008, 07:54 PM
i still think courture will win, but i agree that it wont be in convincing fashion.

LEONARD
10-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Couture would get embarassed and he knows it...

dbreiden83080
10-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Couture would get embarassed and he knows it...

I don't think people like Randy ever believe they can't win. You don't fight at an elite level beating down guys half your age, without a ridiculous degree of mental toughness. Can he beat Fedor? Not likely. But i do believe he feels he can win.