PDA

View Full Version : iMac Questions

08-04-2008, 03:25 PM
We saved our nickles and pulled the trigger last weekend on the new 24" 3.06 GHz and now I need an external HD so I can backup via Time Machine. Any suggestions on which one to look for and which one to avoid?

I'm also going to re-rig my old iMac for the daughter, bought 2GB of RAM from Crucial, but I now need a webcam since my old model was pre iSight. Any suggestions on that front?

Dex
08-04-2008, 04:19 PM
lacie and western digital seem to be dome pretty popular brands that work well. For some reason Seagate drives like to crash and eat data with it, so Id try to avoid them, but any drive has that potential. Most external drives seem to work just fine though.

As for the camera, I believe there is an external iSight you can buy that works well with machines that have a decent processor. There are lots of came out there so if you go third party, make sure it is mac supprted and usually the more you spend, the better video quality you're gonna get

Heath Ledger
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
get this

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080803/ENT03/80803010

its the 500gb apple time capsule, its wireless and you can share files from your pcs as well as your mac on that drive.

it has much badassedness, if you already spent that much might as well go all out.

by the way i have the 20" imac and i absolutely love it. In a year or so ill get a 24"

Dex
08-04-2008, 09:40 PM
get this

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080803/ENT03/80803010

its the 500gb apple time capsule, its wireless and you can share files from your pcs as well as your mac on that drive.

it has much badassedness, if you already spent that much might as well go all out.

by the way i have the 20" imac and i absolutely love it. In a year or so ill get a 24"

TimeCapsules are definitely badass. Might as well put your router and external all in one and get rid of the clutter.

Not to mention being able to automatically backup wirelessly through Time Machine is pretty handy too.

Having to support the fuckers tho, I can tell you they are a pain when they don't work like they are supposed to.

leemajors
08-05-2008, 11:34 PM
lacie and western digital seem to be dome pretty popular brands that work well. For some reason Seagate drives like to crash and eat data with it, so Id try to avoid them, but any drive has that potential. Most external drives seem to work just fine though.

As for the camera, I believe there is an external iSight you can buy that works well with machines that have a decent processor. There are lots of came out there so if you go third party, make sure it is mac supprted and usually the more you spend, the better video quality you're gonna get

fyi Apple stopped manufacturing the iSight probably almost 3 years ago, they're hard to find. Plenty of cheaper webcams out there anyway, like you said.

Heath Ledger
08-05-2008, 11:43 PM
umm isight is currently built into ALL imacs and macbooks,

Heath Ledger
08-05-2008, 11:44 PM
bummer i just sold a logictech webcam at a garage sale for $8 i only used it like 2 or 3 times paid $40 for it originally.

TDMVPDPOY
08-06-2008, 02:46 AM
i believe all webcams are still 1.3mp right? how come they dont improve on them...

leemajors
08-06-2008, 11:27 AM
umm isight is currently built into ALL imacs and macbooks,

iSight was an external camera... but it is built into all newer models.

Brutalis
08-06-2008, 04:11 PM
You really wanna put a webcam on your daughters computer?