PDA

View Full Version : Help!

ashbeeigh
08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
We were rummaging around our office for cool stuff on our way over to our new office and I found a laptop that everyone swore didn't work...I know these things can be fixed so I took it home, plugged in the battery cord and put in my windows 98 CD (yeah..that's rigt..I didn't want to blow it up with my Vista in case it was a small hard drive) and it turned on. Well, yeah. The reason it doesn't work is because our head organizer took out the hard drive.

Where can I get a Compaq presario 2500 laptop compatible hard drive? How much will it cost me? Can any of y'all help me out? I think it'd be pretty cool to get all fixed and to walk into the office and be like 'Oh look what I fixed....the laptop..."

ElNono
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Two things:
1) You can probably use any 2.5" internal notebook harddrive in it. They go for about $100 for a 160GB model.
2) If the laptop is over 3 years old, odds are that the battery pack will either not hold a charge at all or lose the charge fairly quickly. So you might also find out how much does a battery pack costs for that thing before you plunge money on it.

Dex
08-04-2008, 09:32 PM
ElNono is right. It looks like the drive for that model Presario is a 2.5", so I'd imagine most 2.5" Internal IDE hard drives would work. So that you don't stress the processor, I would stick to one that runs at 5400 rpm, and you could probably go anywhere from 50-200 GB. Here are a few options that I pulled up real quick on eBay:

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/__2-5-internal-ide-5400_W0QQ_nkwZ2Q2e5Q22Q20internalQ20ideQ205400QQLH Q5fTitleDescZ1QQ_armZ1QQ_armmZ202QQ_fromfsbZ0QQ_ru uZhttpQ3aQ2fQ2fshopQ2eebayQ2ecomQ2fitemsQ2fQ5fQ5f2 Q2d5Q2dinternalQ2dideQ2d5400Q5fW0Q51Q51Q5fnkwQ5A2Q 512e5Q5122Q5120internalQ5120ideQ51205400Q51Q51Q5fa rrQ5A1Q51Q51Q5ffromfsbQ5A0

And here's a site that explains how to replace the HD and offers some options as well.

http://www.bixnet.com/cohpnohadrin.html

And looking into a battery might be a good idea, too. If it's really three year olds, I wouldn't be surprised if that battery is shot. I'm lucky to get an hour off of my HP which is just now pushing two, and running the DVD or optical drive doesnt help either.

ashbeeigh
08-04-2008, 09:50 PM
:tu Thanks Dex and ElNono. It doesn't sound too complicated. Maybe I'll get it all fixed next weekend.

Sense
08-04-2008, 10:39 PM
you might wanna get xp too ;p

ElNono
08-05-2008, 01:12 AM
:tu Thanks Dex and ElNono. It doesn't sound too complicated. Maybe I'll get it all fixed next weekend.

One more thing. Make sure that the HD you're getting is Parallel ATA (PATA). A good amount of the new notebook drives sold these days are Serial ATA (SATA) and they will not work in that laptop.

PixelPusher
08-05-2008, 02:19 AM
One more thing. Make sure that the HD you're getting is Parallel ATA (PATA). A good amount of the new notebook drives sold these days are Serial ATA (SATA) and they will not work in that laptop.

You'll find PATA hard drives referred are often referred to as "IDE" on ebay and other online sellers.

ashbeeigh
08-18-2008, 04:57 PM
Bump....

I'm thinking of going to an actual store to get the hard drive. Do you all have any suggestions? I was just going to run to Allgen behind Goodwill at De Zavala after work one day. But I want to make sure the geeks approve before I go there.

Brutalis
08-18-2008, 05:15 PM
I have no idea but I can tell you a similar thing that happened with a friend of mine..

She was given a laptop by a friend that said it's broke. Well it wasn't, her boyfriend said it needed something I forget. Well she took it to a computer repair shop, and flirted it up hardcore with one of the tech guys and he fixed the laptop and she gave him her number.

A fake number.

And the laptop was good as new.

ashbeeigh
08-18-2008, 05:59 PM
I have no idea but I can tell you a similar thing that happened with a friend of mine..

She was given a laptop by a friend that said it's broke. Well it wasn't, her boyfriend said it needed something I forget. Well she took it to a computer repair shop, and flirted it up hardcore with one of the tech guys and he fixed the laptop and she gave him her number.

A fake number.

And the laptop was good as new.

:lmao I don't think I could do that! Good story though.

TDMVPDPOY
08-18-2008, 09:11 PM
laptop harddrives are cheap

laptop ram is cheap also if you wanna speed up the fella

hence you can always buy a sata hard drive if there are ports for it

ElNono
08-18-2008, 11:24 PM
Bump....

I'm thinking of going to an actual store to get the hard drive. Do you all have any suggestions? I was just going to run to Allgen behind Goodwill at De Zavala after work one day. But I want to make sure the geeks approve before I go there.

I don't live in San Antonio (and haven't visited since March), so I don't know those guys you mention. But a place like CompUSA should have them.

Heath Ledger
08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Good luck finding a compusa considering most of them have closed down due to bankruptcy.

DannyT
08-19-2008, 01:13 AM
EBaY?

ashbeeigh
08-19-2008, 11:32 AM
EBaY?

I want it in my hands quick. None of this ebay crap. I saw them there, but I will be tempted to spend my hard drive money on clothes or something instead of the hard drive if I don't buy it right away.

Fernando TD21
08-19-2008, 12:01 PM
Newegg? I thought Newegg was one of the best stores in US to buy computer hardware.

DizzG.
08-19-2008, 02:29 PM
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/search/sys?query=hard+drive&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max

DannyT
08-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I want it in my hands quick. None of this ebay crap. I saw them there, but I will be tempted to spend my hard drive money on clothes or something instead of the hard drive if I don't buy it right away.

everytime you cry for help it reminds me of the little boy who cried wolf ...when you really need it its not going to be there...hope you bought that mace after all

ashbeeigh
08-20-2008, 05:32 PM
everytime you cry for help it reminds me of the little boy who cried wolf ...when you really need it its not going to be there...hope you bought that mace after all

I said thank you! I appreciate all the help everyone gives me in any thread I start.

DannyT
08-20-2008, 05:37 PM

youre right sounds like thank you to me....how foolish of me