PDA

View Full Version : From The "No Shit" Desk...

Johnny_Blaze_47
02-06-2005, 01:42 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1985653

Report: Canseco tell-all implicates McGwire

Sunday, February 6, 2005
Canseco: Bush had to know about steroids
ESPN.com news services

After months of talking about naming names in a tell-all book, retired slugger Jose Canseco is about to do just that.

The New York Daily New published details of the former slugger's book, which is still in the editing stages, in Sunday's editions.

Canseco writes that he personally injected Mark McGwire with the drug and that he saw McGwire and Jason Giambi inject each other, according to the paper.

McGwire, who has long denied steroid use, said in a statement to the paper: "I have always told the truth and I am saddened that I continue to face this line of questioning. With regard to this book, I am reserving comment until I have the chance to review its contents myself."

Giambi's agent, Arn Tellem, took issue with Canseco's credibility.

"This book, which attacks baseball and many of its players, was written to make a quick buck by a guy desperate for attention, who has appeared on more police blotters then lineup cards in recent years, has no runs, no hits and is all errors," Tellem told the Daily News.

Canseco writes that President Bush "had to have been aware" of rampant steroid use on the Texas Rangers when he owned the club in the early 1990s, the Daily News reported.

Canseco also claims he introduced the performance enhancers to Rafael Palmeiro, Ivan Rodriguez, and Juan Gonzalez when he joined the Rangers in 1992.

The White House had no comment on Canseco's specific allegation, but did say the President called on leagues and players unions to eradicate steroid use in his 2004 State of the Union address.

The book is due in bookstores Feb. 21.

timvp
02-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Canseco writes that he personally injected Mark McGwire

Sorry T Park.

Canseco also claims he introduced the performance enhancers to Rafael Palmeiro.

Sorry Whottt.

whottt
02-06-2005, 06:04 PM
Damn!

This is devastating. It's a no-brainer that McGwire was a roid head...I knew he was a roid head back in 92.

It's also a no-brainer that Juan Gone was a user...although I doubt Jose introduced Juan to them...Juan was using them well before Jose came to the team...was obvious.

Pudge doesn't really suprise me...

Raffy...say it aint so Raffy...

Damn, it just fits too perfectly though...his numbers did turn into power numbers at the time Jose joined the Rangers..and sadly, his decline in numbers last year is just a little too perfectly timed with the institution of a steroid tesing policy.

This is very difficult for me...I didn't think Raffy was roid free because he was my favorite active player...he was my favorite active player because I thought he was roid free, compared to the other big names..and I was in awe of his clean bat skill. Devastating.

He still doesn't look like a roid head like the others do though...he never got any bigger, it's easy to see how his swing generates his power, and he has never been on the DL. It's hard for me to see him as being a full time user...but I guess he is the exception to the durability rule.

But everything Jose says fits perfectly with the other playrs he mentioned, and I believe him...it would be naive for me to think that he the only one he lied about was Raffy...especially when Raffy was a childhood friend of his.

Sadly, I don't think Jose is lying.

Time to retire Raffy. Why try and hit benchmarks when you cheated?
The same goes for Bonds and Sosa and all these other shitheads.

And damn, if you guys were going to use that crap, would have been nice to get a World Series out of the deal.

whottt
02-06-2005, 06:12 PM
You know...I gotta start wondering about Ripken...he and Raffy were really good friends...Ripken actually said he was in awe of Palmeiro. It just makes you wonder how deep this thing goes...

It's going to be funny, we'll probably find out that some guy like Fred McGriff was the only clean power hitter of this era.

Spurminator
02-06-2005, 06:34 PM
I wouldn't fly off the handle over comments by Jose Canseco just yet.

whottt
02-06-2005, 06:42 PM
The timing is just too perfect though...Pudge and Raffy did start putting up power numbers right around the time Jose joined the Rangers...Pudge did get bigger, got the mongoloid brow and started getting freak injuries. And Raffy did start jacking 35 homers a year...only to stop last season when MLB instituted drug testing.

I just don't see that Jose would be lying to take down all of his old friends unless he had a reason for it. Then again...with Raffy he could be jealous of Raffy staking his claim to the greatest Cuban player ever. But again...the timing of when Canseco says he introduced those guys to roids and the power surge in those guys numbers...it just makes too much sense.

I know he's not wrong about Juan Gone and McGwire..although Juan was a roid head before Jose ever came to the Rangers.....but those two, along with Giambi and Jose himself...are the poster boys for roid usage.

whottt
02-06-2005, 06:46 PM
You know, Jose was teamates with Frank Thomas, and Thomas has long been the most outspoken critic of steroid usage. If Jose was just trying to take every one down with him, he would have and could have lumped Thomas in there with them. The fact that he didn't makes me think there is a lot of legitimacy to what he is saying.

atlfan25
02-06-2005, 07:13 PM
He only says he introduced it to Raffy. Palmeiro could have just used it some for a season or two and then quit. If he has been using them for 10 years, i would think he'd be a lot bigger than he is. in 93' he jumped from 22 to 37 homers and stole a whopping 22 bases, which is a lot for him and something he hasn't come close to in any other year, could be cuz of roids.

I think his decline to 23 homers last year didn't have to do with him getting off roids. He turned 40 and everybody when they hit their last couple years see a decline like that. I just think it is probable he might have used them some a few years from like 1992-94 or something.

T Park
02-10-2005, 05:55 PM
First, off, I dont think I ever said Mcgwire never took steroids.

Id like some proof though, same arguement the Bonds people said until Bonds came clean.

Canseco isnt the best most solid person to make these either.

It honestly wouldn't suprise me though.

dcole50
02-10-2005, 06:35 PM
i don't see how anyone can look at mcgwire and how hew grew and not realize the guy was on 'roids.

N.Y. Johnny
02-10-2005, 08:04 PM
if they were someday proven to be cheating what to do with Maris' record? 61 the record minus roids and the roided up record set by Bonds.

Sosa has probably used them too, he's been caught cheating with a corked bat already, and he came out of nowhere hitting that year too and after that.

Anyone see or hear Giambi's conference today?
what a joke..what was the point of that? come clean if thats what you intended to do Giambi, he said nothing! fuck him, let Tino start at 1B this year in NY :flipoff

atlfan25
02-11-2005, 08:12 PM
He implicates Clemens, Bonds, Sosa, and B.Boone as well.
I am only skeptical about Clemens. Sosa and Boone is no surprise should it be true.
--------------------------------------------------------------
http://nydailynews.com/front/breaking_news/story/279973p-239878c.html
Canseco book takes swing at Clemens

By MICHAEL O'KEEFFE and T.J. QUINN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITERS

Jose Canseco's stick-and-tell memoir continued to shock the baseball world today with revelations that implicate Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and several journeymen players, as steroid users.

The book hit bookstores today and is the subject of a "60 Minutes" segment that will be broadcast on Sunday.

Canseco says in his book that he has no direct knowledge of steroid use by those players, and he isn't as brazen when accusing them as he is in describing the alleged steroid use of Mark McGwire, Jason Giambi, Ivan Rodriguez, Rafael Palmeiro and Juan Gonzalez, which the Daily News first reported Sunday. But he points a meaty finger at the game's biggest names in "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big." He also claims that George W. Bush, as general managing partner of the Texas Rangers in the early '90s, had to be aware of steroid use on his team.

Of Clemens, a seven-time Cy Young winner who has always denied using illegal performance enhancers, Canseco never says he knows for sure that the Rocket shot up. Canseco writes, "I've never seen Roger Clemens do steroids, and he never told me that he did."

But he then goes on for two pages about how Clemens said he used the term "B-12 shots" - clubhouse code for steroids, Canseco says - with respect to other players. He then says how he remembers "thinking" that Clemens showed "classic signs" of steroid use, like sudden improvement late in a career.

Randy Hendricks, one of Clemens' agents, responded angrily today, telling the Daily News: "Neither Roger nor I have seen the book, but any such suggestion is absurd on its face. It's a wonder Canseco didn't name the Pope, given he named President Bush. Roger has not taken any illegal drugs or substances. He has passed all tests and will continue to do so in 2005. In 2004, with stricter testing, he passed the tests and won a record 7th Cy Young Award."

Canseco is as vague when discussing Sosa as he is with Clemens, again saying that he has no first-hand knowledge that he was juicing.

"I don't know Sammy Sosa personally," he writes, "so I can't say for a fact that he ever took steroids."

But again, he writes, he remembers "thinking" that Sosa's body changed more dramatically that McGwire's did before the home run summer of 1998.

"It seemed so obvious, it was a joke," Canseco writes.

"No comment," Sosa agent Adam Katz said.

About Bonds, Canseco says flat-out, "the simple fact is Barry Bonds was definitely using steroids." But he also cites Bonds' testimony before the BALCO grand jury, which was overheard by the Daily News and later revealed in the San Francisco Chronicle, as proof.

About Baltimore Oriole Miguel Tejada, the 2002 AL MVP and a former Oakland teammate of Canseco's, Canseco writes, "I started giving him advice about steroids, and he seemed interested in what I was saying." Canseco says he "can't say for sure" that Tejada cheated, but then writes that he would have been justified in doing so.

He also says that Seattle's Bret Boone, who grew noticeably bigger before the 2001 season, hinted that he was using steroids. Once again, Canseco doesn't use the "S" word, but says when he asked Boone what he had been doing, Boone said "Shhh, Don't tell anybody," and Canseco took that to mean he was "part of the club."

He also says he injected pitcher Wilson Alvarez and outfielder Dave Martinez when they were teammates in Tampa. He says that Tampa pitcher Tony Saunders, who famously broke his arm while pitching in a game, abused steroids.

Clemens spoke to the Daily News about steroids and related subjects in June, denying at the time he had done anything illegal to develop his physique.

Many players have wondered how he remains able to touch 98 on a radar gun at his age, but Clemens said in June that he had no need to vindicate himself or explain his success.

"My motivation, my desire, how I treat people, the respect I have came a long time before I had anything to do with this game of baseball," he said in June. "My mother worked three jobs. She didn't take no for an answer."

Spurminator
02-12-2005, 10:21 AM
Anyone else reminded of Joseph McCarthy?

Jose Canseco's stick-and-tell memoir continued to shock the baseball world today with revelations that implicate Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa and several journeymen players, as steroid users.... Canseco says in his book that he has no direct knowledge of steroid use by those players.

So why the fuck is this big news? Skepticism doesn't sell when it comes to the news and sports talk radio. And fans will believe whatever they want to believe.

Fuck Canseco. He's just trying to get revenge on the league that rejected him because he couldn't cut it.

I refuse to lap up every daily "revelation" reported by the sensationalist sports media from a sensationalist book written by a used up hasbeen that couldn't stay on any team for the last ten years of his career because he was a monumental asshole.

T Park
02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
Well Dcole,

Joe Mcewing who played with Mcgwire in I think 99.

He siad Mcgwire worked out at least 8 hours a day int eh weight room pumpin weights and running and other weight training things.

So, Im gonna believe a guy like Joe McEwing before Ill believe a nimrod like Jose Canseco.