PDA

View Full Version : If We

bavarianworks
08-05-2008, 01:14 PM
do indeed sign Pargo, do you guys see the following an option or no? I know SA would pull it, but would the Suns? SALARIES WORK.

Udoka+Bonner+Vaugh for Barbosa

They get the backup they desperately need, as well as a player that actually can play defense. Bonner was a throw in, but they are very small after Shaq/Stoudamire.

VaSpursFan
08-05-2008, 01:17 PM
why would we trade for barbosa if we are already set in the backcourt? if we sign pargo, the spurs would most likely trade for a big.

Sissiborgo
08-05-2008, 01:20 PM
why would we trade for barbosa if we are already set in the backcourt? if we sign pargo, the spurs would most likely trade for a big.

True! and suns would not trade him!

DPG21920
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Lets look at this:

The Suns need someone who can back Nash up and play defense, Vaughn does that. They also need a point guard that can shoot however and deliver nice, crisp passes with all pick and rolls they run. Vaughn can not do that. Would not be a terrible back up, but they can use Barbosa for a the back up and he can defend, shoot and get to the rim.

Udoka would help them. He is a very good defender and can shoot the 3 ball. It gives them a Raja Bell clone. Bonner might get some burn, but they have a decent amount of bigs (Lopez, Shaq, Marks, Amare, Boris Diaw).

So the Suns in this trade get a little depth to back up the 2/3/4 but give up one of their biggest needs (a back up point guard that can score and change the pace of games) so I do not think they would do it because they are left in no better position with their biggest need(s). When all else fails, if the team is not getting salary cap relief or filling a major need with a serviceable player, then go for the best player. Barbosa is the best in this deal. Just my take.

Sissiborgo
08-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Lets look at this:

The Suns need someone who can back Nash up and play defense, Vaughn does that. They also need a point guard that can shoot however and deliver nice, crisp passes with all pick and rolls they run. Vaughn can not do that. Would not be a terrible back up, but they can use Barbosa for a the back up and he can defend, shoot and get to the rim.

Udoka would help them. He is a very good defender and can shoot the 3 ball. It gives them a Raja Bell clone. Bonner might get some burn, but they have a decent amount of bigs (Lopez, Shaq, Marks, Amare, Boris Diaw).

So the Suns in this trade get a little depth to back up the 2/3/4 but give up one of their biggest needs (a back up point guard that can score and change the pace of games) so I do not think they would do it because they are left in no better position with their biggest need(s). When all else fails, if the team is not getting salary cap relief or filling a major need with a serviceable player, then go for the best player. Barbosa is the best in this deal. Just my take.

But they would never want to loose Barbosa and they would not want to get 3 guys for him!

T Park
08-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Why would the Spurs want a 5th point guard?

DPG21920
08-05-2008, 01:32 PM
But they would never want to loose Barbosa and they would not want to get 3 guys for him!

That's what I said. I said the Suns would not do it.

SenorSpur
08-05-2008, 01:36 PM
The last thing the Spurs need is another backcourt player - especially one who is a horrific defender. Barbosa is not a Spurs-type player. This makes no sense at all.

DROB4EVER
08-05-2008, 01:38 PM
No way they would take that trash for him. Plus we would have a glut of small players and be even thinner at SF.

I can see bonner going to Utah or Tor, teams that like shooting 4s. Would be surprised if they just bought out someones contract.

While I would like Pargo to be a spur I think we really need a true SF.

xtremesteven33
08-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Bonner,Udoka,Vaughn/Hill for Nocioni.....

bleh i give up

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Last thing we need is another point guard/shooting guard. If the Spurs do sign Pargo, they'll have to trade for size. The backcourt is too small.

SenorSpur
08-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Last thing we need is another point guard/shooting guard. If the Spurs do sign Pargo, they'll have to trade for size. The backcourt is too small.

Maybe Pop has amended his desire for a Derrick McKey, long three-type player and now is looking for more the Aaron McKie, short-three-type, instead. :lol

spurnash
08-05-2008, 02:13 PM
Bonner,Udoka,Vaughn/Hill for Nocioni.....

bleh i give up

I like Nocioni but to make the salaries work you have to give up Oberto as well. Nocioni makes $8M but Bonner, Udoka and Vaughn Combine to $5.2...just short...I would still do it since I think Gist and Mahinmi could get some more playing time and make up for Oberto but the Spurs seem to like what he brings.

Solid D
08-05-2008, 02:14 PM
bavarianworks, you are doing it again. You left out Oberto, so I will say you are changing the curtains SLIGHTLY. :bang

Sissiborgo
08-05-2008, 02:32 PM
That's what I said. I said the Suns would not do it.

my bad;)

kobyz
08-05-2008, 02:50 PM
if we sign Pargo and then trade Hill + Bonner + Oberto for Nocioni and then sign another big from the free agency, you can go young(Earl Barron, David Harrison, Paul Davis) you can go old(Jamaal Megloire, Theo Ratliff) or you can go ex spur(Melvin Ely, Francisco Elson).
that will be a great summer!!

our roster will look good:

Parker/Pargo/Vaughn
Ginobili/Mason/udoka
Bowen/Nocioni/Gist
Duncan/Tolliver
Thomas/Mahinmi/FA

mrspurs
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
The last thing the Spurs need is another backcourt player - especially one who is a horrific defender. Barbosa is not a Spurs-type player. This makes no sense at all.

+1

angelbelow
08-05-2008, 06:24 PM
probably not.

ashbeeigh
08-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Maybe if we throw hill and oberto in we can get Oden too.

Kori Ellis
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Please use better thread titles that indicate what the thread is about.

And why, after getting Pargo, would the Spurs want another guard?

Did you mean, "If they DO NOT get Pargo...?"

ivanfromwestwood
08-05-2008, 06:39 PM
LB sux. i wouldnt give up Udoka for that piece of shit. maybe JV and MB but not Udoka. i think we just need to get rid of Bonner and Vaughn and keep getting more athletic.

dbestpro
08-05-2008, 07:14 PM
If Pargo is signed the Spurs will send Bonner 2.9 mil and Vaughan 1.2 mil + or - 10% for something tall. Curry (NY) and Diaw are both 9 mil. Throw in Oberto 3.5 mil and Udoka 1.2 mil or sign and trade Finley and you can get the deal done.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Colangelo wouldn't even let Pop coach Team USA, yet he's going to give us Barbosa for table scraps? :lmao

Spurs16212
08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Would this work because it would work salary wise.....

Sign Pargo

Trade Vaughn, Bonner, and Oberto to New York
for Eddy Curry......

We would have our two point guards with Pargo and Parker.... A quality big in Curry granted that he stays healthy and New York gets some decent return......

wisnub
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
If only I can turn back time....if only i have said what i still hide

wisnub
08-05-2008, 10:04 PM
do indeed sign Pargo, do you guys see the following an option or no? I know SA would pull it, but would the Suns? SALARIES WORK.

Udoka+Bonner+Vaugh for Barbosa

They get the backup they desperately need, as well as a player that actually can play defense. Bonner was a throw in, but they are very small after Shaq/Stoudamire.

YES GET BARBOSA...that would be fuckin tight

Doug Collins
08-05-2008, 10:49 PM

Sign Pargo

for Eddy Curry......

We would have our two point guards with Pargo and Parker.... A quality big in Curry granted that he stays healthy and New York gets some decent return......

Which one of those players is decent?

rascal
08-06-2008, 11:11 AM

Sign Pargo

for Eddy Curry......

Thats not even close to good for NY. I'm sure if they wanted to trade Curry they could get alot more than this.

dbestpro
08-06-2008, 11:38 AM

Sign Pargo

for Eddy Curry......

Why this would this work.
New York is going to try to pick up the pace. Curry will not fit the D'Antonio system. Ny does not need more salary so he could be a Camby like dump. No team has salary cap room so it has to be a trade for desirable contracts.

Curry has three year left at 9.7 mil, 10.5 mil, 11.2 mil

You must come within 10% of the 9.7 mil.

Vaughn one year at 1.2 mil
Bonner two years at 2.9 mil and 3.2 mil
Oberto two years at 3.5 mil and 3.5 mil

Total equals 7.6 mil, Still not a match salary wise.

You would have to either throw in Udoka at 1.1 mil or more likely do a sign and trade with Finley. for the 1.1 mil. Finley could get some guaranteed cash and both Finley and Vaughn would then be cut.

The cost of 9.7 mil would be the same for this year to New York but they would save in year two a difference between 10.5 mil and 6.4 mil which is 4.1 mil.
Year three is the difference between 11.2 mil and 6.7 mil which is 4.5 mil.
The three year savings would be 8.6 mil
Add in the cap tax and NY would save 17.2 mil over the life of the contract.
The idea in the era of salary cap of a trading a player for a player of equal talent is no longer an issue.

It's all about the cha-ching. Also, such a scenario would take the Spurs out of the infamous 2010 plan.