PDA

View Full Version : Ratings Info For Those Who Asked -ESPN & Ticket 760

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Didn't want it to get lost in the other thread. So I'll post it here.

For just all listeners. Here's a breakdown between the two stations. ESPN & Ticket

12+ Listeners...

AQH (Meaning how many people listening during any given 15 minutes)

AQH
Coach A Vs Rome - (Just comparing same times 11A-1P)

Rome - 6100
Coach A - 100

AQH
Duel Vs Taylor (They only go against each other 1 hour. 5P)

Taylor - 5200
Duel and Jason - 800

Here is a Year to Date Breakdown....
Here's a breakdown of Spring 07 Vs Spring 08

AQH
Rome Spring 07 - 4200
Rome Spring 08 - 6100

AQH
Ticket Spring 07 - 3700
Taylor Spring 08 - 5200

Pretty good growth.

Here's the break down for ESPN - Which last year was Oldies/Classic Tejano

AQH (11A-1P)
Spring 07 - Oldies Classic/Tejano - 1200
Spring 08 - Bringing It - 100

(5P-8p)
Spring 07 - Oldies Classic/Tejano - 1100
Spring 08 - Duel and Minnix - 300

tlongII
08-05-2008, 02:03 PM
scoreboard

2centsworth
08-05-2008, 02:15 PM
some of that has to do with the host, but the vast majority of it has to do with the stations. The ticket has the advantage of time in the market and ESPN does zero marketing.

If the host were changed I bet the results would be very similar.

Vinnie_Johnson
08-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Ouch The Burn is great.

GoGatos
08-05-2008, 02:43 PM
some of that has to do with the host, but the vast majority of it has to do with the stations. The ticket has the advantage of time in the market and ESPN does zero marketing.

If the host were changed I bet the results would be very similar.

You're right on one count... Ticket does have an advantage because no one knows ESPN exists. And if Taylor was on ESPN and Duel was on Ticket, Duel would more than likely have higher ratings simply because no one would know Taylor was on the radio. However, the ratings Taylor is pulling are DOUBLING (in some cases more than doubling) what previous hosts on this station ever got (Thompson Bros. included). To say that any host on the Ticket will pull similar numbers is just wrong. Again, most people held the stance that the Thompsons were the best sports hosts in this town in the history of EVER. Taylor's ratings are twice what they had.

Evan
08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
2 questions

1. Why is the spring book so important
2. why are radio ratings year round instead of "sweeps" like tv

2centsworth
08-05-2008, 02:55 PM
You're right on one count... Ticket does have an advantage because no one knows ESPN exists. And if Taylor was on ESPN and Duel was on Ticket, Duel would more than likely have higher ratings simply because no one would know Taylor was on the radio. However, the ratings Taylor is pulling are DOUBLING (in some cases more than doubling) what previous hosts on this station ever got (Thompson Bros. included). To say that any host on the Ticket will pull similar numbers is just wrong. Again, most people held the stance that the Thompsons were the best sports hosts in this town in the history of EVER. Taylor's ratings are twice what they had.

I've never been a fan of the Thompsons. In fact, they irritate me. as far as ratings increases, Rome increase dramatically too. Is it because he was better than the past? There has to be some other dynamic working. I'm not trying to down taylor, but to attribute all of the success to the host makes little sense to me.

btw, I've been very complimentary of Taylor, but his gross Cowboy homerism is starting to wear on me. Very Maverick like.

For the 8 years preceeding Parcells the Cowboys were horrid on draft day and on the field. Parcells drafted/discovered Tony Romo, Witten, Barber, Demarcus Ware, Terrence Newman, etc...

S_A_Longhorn
08-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Again, most people held the stance that the Thompsons were the best sports hosts in this town in the history of EVER. Taylor's ratings are twice what they had.

Just b/c your nose is brown, BILLY BOB, doesn't make Taylor the best 'EVER'. If ratings were the end-all, then Top 40 radio would have the best music around. How many Clear Channel stations are Top 40 these days?

Congrats on Taylor's ratings. Mighty impressive, but they don't include me. Sorry Duel, but the marketing & management of ESPN The Zone makes the PS3 first year look flawless. nonetheless, I prefer your programming over SPorts Talk Dallas.

Oh, and the Rome ratings are ridiculous. That show is nothing but an ego ride for Rome. Used to be my favorite sports radio show, but I can't listen to him for more than 2 seconds now. And the "fact" that his ratings went up just tells me I am glad I don't give these ratings an ounce of creditability.

MoSpur
08-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Taylor still stinks.

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 03:33 PM
2 questions

1. Why is the spring book so important
2. why are radio ratings year round instead of "sweeps" like tv

1) All books are equally important. Spring is normally the dead time, and the Fall book is normally the strongest because of football season

2) Not sure. Just the way it's been.

Kori Ellis
08-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Good for Mike Taylor. That show is finally getting more listeners. That's cool.

Oh and I didn't expect Duel's show to do much yet. I would think anyone would expect that. Hopefully it gets some marketing.

CharlieMac
08-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Taylor still stinks.

That show is pretty much a Diaper Genie.

Brutalis
08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Rome is a dumb ass I don't understand why people listen to his shit.

Buddy Holly
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
BMP is mishandling 1250 big time. Nonexistent promotion. Website has been delayed for half a year now. Terrible.

T Park
08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I was a huge fan of 1250, but the no website issue has been burnt out as a listener.

Im on the road all summer, and would love to listen to the Thompsons and others, but yet, I guess BMP and ESPN 1250 doesn't want listeners, so I won't listen anymore.

AlamoSpursFan
08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
Add in the fact that the way radio ratings are gathered is a friggen joke.

They send you a diary and $1. Nice incentive. Most people throw them in the trash.

ESPN gets quality guests and always has plenty of calls. And while I get that the snooze-fest peddlers at the Tickrah will say "callers don't equal ratings", somebody's gotta be listening.

The Tickrah's ratings were abysmal when they first flipped the switch too. Y'all just need to keep watching your back. The Zone is a comin'.

mommaDONEraisedaTHUG
08-05-2008, 08:30 PM
1250 sucks

T Park
08-05-2008, 08:42 PM

They send you a diary and $1. Nice incentive. Most people throw them in the trash.

ESPN gets quality guests and always has plenty of calls. And while I get that the snooze-fest peddlers at the Tickrah will say "callers don't equal ratings", somebody's gotta be listening.

The Tickrah's ratings were abysmal when they first flipped the switch too. Y'all just need to keep watching your back. The Zone is a comin'.

I'm about done with em.

samikeyp
08-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Honestly,Taylor was the main reason I stopped listening online.

Ocotillo
08-05-2008, 09:18 PM

I kept the buck.:toast

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Honestly,Taylor was the main reason I stopped listening online.

By the way. Kudos to Mikey for giving me the "brother from the other mother" blast Sunday.

Nicely done sir.

PeterBurns
08-05-2008, 10:18 PM

Yes. Agreed big time ASF. It's a very old-fashioned way of doing it.

Believe it or not, I don't mind having them in town. Hopefully it draws more listeners to sports radio in general. Then the listeners can decide who they like best.

I can understand how they can't get marketing dollars. I get that, but for them not to have a website, or even just a website with a "Under Construction" page is just amateur.

They keep saying that this website it worth the wait. But honestly, 7 months for a website? :lmao

Although it has helped them in one case. I had a client that unfortunately decided to advertise with them. They tried to cancel, but couldn't find any info about the station existing. Ouch. So in that case, it worked!

T Park
08-05-2008, 11:04 PM
yeah 1250 had slot of potential but the've totally failed. Sad really.

pkbpkb81
08-05-2008, 11:19 PM
i just dont like espn radio the national shows dont take calls oh yeah and dule sucks

T Park
08-05-2008, 11:57 PM
Dule?

Kori Ellis
08-06-2008, 01:32 AM
They keep saying that this website it worth the wait. But honestly, 7 months for a website? :lmao

This, I completely agree with. I could have made a professional looking website for them in a few days ... and I'm not even that great at making websites. So, they could have just hired a pro and got it done in a couple days. I am not sure of the station's logic in not doing it. In this day and age, you absolutely need some sort of online presence.

I like Jason, Chris and Dawn a lot (though I honestly haven't listened to the show that much lately ... not for any particular reason, other than this time of year isn't great for sports). I hope their success isn't hampered by the fact they aren't getting any marketing or advertising. Most people I know outside of this forum have no idea that their station exists.

T Park
08-06-2008, 01:36 AM
The Thompsons and others deserve better.

timvp
08-06-2008, 01:54 AM
AQH
Rome Spring 07 - 4200
Rome Spring 08 - 6100

AQH
Ticket Spring 07 - 3700
Taylor Spring 08 - 5200

Pretty good growth.

There's some fuzzy math in this thread. It's obvious that more people have found 760 on their dial but the Taylor fellating doesn't make much sense looking at those above numbers. Rome is a good to use as the baseline number of 760 listeners in terms of just standard growth.

So according to the numbers, Rome experience 45% growth compared to only 40% for Taylor. In 07, the afternoon host was able to keep 88% of the Rome traffic. Taylor was able to keep 85% of the Rome traffic.

Basically, Taylor is at best holding serve. Although compared to the baseline numbers, Taylor is actually doing worse than his predecessors.

Either way I don't really care because if I wanted to listen to sports talk, I'd just think to myself.

T Park
08-06-2008, 02:37 AM
Either way I don't really care because if I wanted to listen to sports talk, I'd just think to myself.

:lol Cue the emails to Kori

Nbadan
08-06-2008, 02:54 AM
What's really sad is that Spurstalk.com almost gets as many readers as both 'sports talk stations' get combined listeners....with no advertising budget...

Logan
08-06-2008, 03:24 AM
scoreboard

ESPN 1250 will never post this, but I will.

I suspect Peter Burns and Clear Channel know this, but will never post it either.

Arbitron has been contacted by BMP Radio and their attorneys.

Apparently, Ticket 760 has been using "ESPN" as one of its partner names for years.

Thus, any listener logging "ESPN" or "ESPN 1250" or "ESPN 1250 The Zone" in their Arbitron diary from February 2008 to July 2008, the credit went to Ticket 760.

So... any Ticket 760 ratings since February 2008 via Arbitron has equaled Ticket 760 + ESPN 1250.

Look for the Fall ratings book to show a significant loss for Ticket 760 and a true correction for ESPN 1250.

Ticket 760's ratings have been inflated by at least 50%, while Arbitron's faulty's ratings of ESPN 1250 have registered zero.

Watch the Clear Channel suits shit in their pants, beginning in October.

mommaDONEraisedaTHUG
08-06-2008, 03:28 AM
prove it

Logan
08-06-2008, 03:34 AM
prove it

The Fall rating will prove it.

BMP has petitioned Arbitron to force Clear Channel San Antonio to remove "ESPN" from its recognition proticols, effective August 1st.

Anything before this month that you see for Ticket 760 is actually the combination of The Ticket and ESPN 1250.

Stay tuned.

The TRUTH will set you free.

samikeyp
08-06-2008, 06:59 AM
By the way. Kudos to Mikey for giving me the "brother from the other mother" blast Sunday.

Nicely done sir.

Thanks man. I think I did pretty good for my national call-in debut! :tu

You guys did a great job.

AlamoSpursFan
08-06-2008, 08:11 AM
Hey Pete,

How are you and Jimmy able to discuss ratings in here, anyways?

Most radio peeps I know change the subject immediately if not sooner the moment you mention the word "Arbitron".

PeterBurns
08-06-2008, 08:38 AM
Hey Pete,

How are you and Jimmy able to discuss ratings in here, anyways?

Most radio peeps I know change the subject immediately if not sooner the moment you mention the word "Arbitron".

It's public information.
I'm just not allowed to tell anyone how to fill out a diary. Which I never would. I believe that the diaries should be as truthful as possible. That is really a report card for the show and station.

So, it's always good to get feedback on if the show is gaining listeners, or losing listeners. Same goes for the station.

S_A_Longhorn
08-06-2008, 09:08 AM
ESPN 1250 will never post this, but I will.

I suspect Peter Burns and Clear Channel know this, but will never post it either.

Arbitron has been contacted by BMP Radio and their attorneys.

Apparently, Ticket 760 has been using "ESPN" as one of its partner names for years.

Thus, any listener logging "ESPN" or "ESPN 1250" or "ESPN 1250 The Zone" in their Arbitron diary from February 2008 to July 2008, the credit went to Ticket 760.

So... any Ticket 760 ratings since February 2008 via Arbitron has equaled Ticket 760 + ESPN 1250.

Look for the Fall ratings book to show a significant loss for Ticket 760 and a true correction for ESPN 1250.

Ticket 760's ratings have been inflated by at least 50%, while Arbitron's faulty's ratings of ESPN 1250 have registered zero.

Watch the Clear Channel suits shit in their pants, beginning in October.

<crickets from GATOS ans PeterBurns>

Bigzax
08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
we got your back duel!

get laura green back from dallas and i'll worship your show!

GoGatos
08-06-2008, 12:19 PM
<crickets from GATOS ans PeterBurns>

Actually, I responded to this in the thread devoted to it. Thanks.

Also, Logan might want to double-check some of his facts before throwing out those statements...

timvp
08-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Notice has PeterBurns ignores my post. He must not have that parent permission slip signed again.

GoGatos
08-06-2008, 01:19 PM
There's some fuzzy math in this thread. It's obvious that more people have found 760 on their dial but the Taylor fellating doesn't make much sense looking at those above numbers. Rome is a good to use as the baseline number of 760 listeners in terms of just standard growth.

So according to the numbers, Rome experience 45% growth compared to only 40% for Taylor. In 07, the afternoon host was able to keep 88% of the Rome traffic. Taylor was able to keep 85% of the Rome traffic.

Basically, Taylor is at best holding serve. Although compared to the baseline numbers, Taylor is actually doing worse than his predecessors.

To say he's doing worse than his predecessors is HILARIOUS. Taylor can't be holding serve if he has more than double the amount of listeners than any other show 760 has had in the PM drive time slot... and 85% of Rome's current audience is actually LARGER than 88% of his old audience.

pkbpkb81
08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
Burn

timvp
08-06-2008, 02:42 PM
To say he's doing worse than his predecessors is HILARIOUS.Look at the math and show me where it's wrong.

Taylor can't be holding serve if he has more than double the amount of listeners than any other show 760 has had in the PM drive time slotIt's called standard growth. You think Rome has gotten that much better in the last year? Rome, if anything, is considered to be getting worse than ever. If the standard in the equation is increasing greater than the variable, that's not a good sign for the variable.

... and 85% of Rome's current audience is actually LARGER than 88% of his old audience.Uh yeah but 85% < 88%. That means Taylor holds onto less traffic than his predecessors. What part of this don't you understand?

Say if ESPN.com hired a new editor of their NBA section of their website. If ESPN.com's overall traffic rises 75% from one year to the next, but their NBA section rises only 50% ... the new NBA section editor can't claim scoreboard that he got more traffic than any of his predecessors. In this scenario, the new editor was simply riding the standard increase wave ... and not even doing a very good job at doing that.

Like I said above, I don't care and I don't have a dog in this race. However the lack of basic math and business common sense in this thread was too much to overlook. Plus PeterBurns never faxed me his parent permission slip from DG so I can't let the fuzzy math slide.

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Rome, if anything, is considered to be getting worse than ever.

Says who?

timvp
08-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Says who?Who says otherwise? Link to claims of Rome getting drastically better in the last year or that a 45% growth was the national radio average?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Who says otherwise? Link to claims of Rome getting drastically better in the last year or that a 45% growth was the national radio average?

You're mistaking me with someone that cares about radio ratings.

All I know is that I haven't heard anything in regards to "Rome getting worse".

Plus, I like his show and have been a proud clone since 1997.

timvp
08-06-2008, 02:56 PM
You're mistaking me with someone that cares about radio ratings.You care enough to get involved with every radio related thread on this forum.

All I know is that I haven't heard anything in regards to "Rome getting worse".

Plus, I like his show and have been a proud clone since 1997.ROFL. I apologize for saying something bad about your hero. I'm not sure what is more lame ... being a Jim Rome "clone" or being proud of being a Jim Rome "clone". I mean yeah I listen a couple times a year but bowing over to a radio voice to the point you claim to be a "longtime clone" is pretty fruity if you ask me.

Kori Ellis
08-06-2008, 02:59 PM
KEllis Ratings: SpursTalk - 4 million page views a month. Taylor - 5,000 listeners. Duel - 500 listeners.

I win?

:lol

Kori Ellis
08-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Seriously, good luck to both Duel and Taylor's shows. Any sports fan should want them to both flourish. I know you all use this board for your battles, and that's fine by me because there's a good cross section of sports fans here to draw opinions from. Hopefully both shows continue to improve.

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
You care enough to get involved with every radio related thread on this forum.

Again, you are confusing me with someone who cares about radio ratings.

ROFL. I apologize for saying something bad about your hero. I'm not sure what is more lame ... being a Jim Rome "clone" or being proud of being a Jim Rome "clone". I mean yeah I listen a couple times a year but bowing over to a radio voice to the point you claim to be a "longtime clone" is pretty fruity if you ask me.

Didn't say he was my hero, but I do enjoy his show and have been listening for 11 years.

I guess though that if it's lame, then me and the millions of others around the country must be lame as well and you alone know better then all of us.

Maybe you should quit running this board for a while, it's giving you a superiority complex that I'm not so sure is justified.

timvp
08-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Again, you are confusing me with someone who cares about radio ratings.Again, you post in every thread about radio so you must care about something.

Didn't say he was my hero, but I do enjoy his show and have been listening for 11 years.Props. Quite the accomplishment :tu

I guess though that if it's lame, then me and the millions of others around the country must be lame as well and you alone know better then all of us.I said it was my opinion. If you don't want to rack my take, then believe what you will.

Maybe you should quit running this board for a while, it's giving you a superiority complex that I'm not so sure is justified.Superiority complex because I think it's kinda lame to use being a "longtime clone" as some sort of defense?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:50 PM
I don't think I was defending anything but rather stating that I like his show and have been listening for a while.

Is it weird being way up in the clouds and judging everyone the way you do?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Again, you post in every thread about radio so you must care about something.

Again, I don't give a fuck about ratings.

But I don't like Duel's show, and I sure as fuck hate Charlie Parker...........hate..........with a passion.

timvp
08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
I don't think I was defending anything but rather stating that I like his show and have been listening for a while.Where did I say you were defending something?

Is it weird being way up in the clouds and judging everyone the way you do?Link to me judging people? I said it was lame for someone to pull the "I'm a Jim Rome clone" as some sort of tool in an argument about whether Rome's ratings have gone up or down lately.

But since I go around judging people, these forthcoming links should be a wakeup call for me. Right?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Where did I say you were defending something?

Superiority complex because I think it's kinda lame to use being a "longtime clone" as some sort of defense?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Link to me judging people?

I'm not sure what is more lame ... being a Jim Rome "clone" or being proud of being a Jim Rome "clone".

timvp
08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
Again, I don't give a fuck about ratings.

But I don't like Duel's show, and I sure as fuck hate Charlie Parker...........hate..........with a passion.The thing I don't get about people who hate radio with so much vigor is why don't they turn the channel? I've listened to probably 20 minutes of Duel since he's been on the radio. I haven't listened to Charlie Parker since he used to host the Pop Show like ten years ago.

But seriously, if you hate something with so much passion, why not switch the dial before you get to the point where the passion has built up to where you become obsessive about it? Sports radio in general is horrible. I hate it. Rome is the only one who I'll listen to because he's at least entertaining. But why punish yourself by listening to it if you hate it?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Again, give that high horse a break, he looks tired from carrying you on his back for all these years.

Or take a lesson from your wife who is seemingly always humble.

timvp
08-06-2008, 04:00 PM
Again, give that high horse a break, he looks tired from carrying you on his back for all these years.

Or take a lesson from your wife who is seemingly always humble.So you don't have a reason for listening to something you hate? What happened to other examples of me judging people?

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 04:01 PM
The thing I don't get about people who hate radio with so much vigor is why don't they turn the channel. I've listened to probably 20 minutes of Duel since he's been on the radio. I haven't listened to Charlie Parker since he used to host the Pop Show like ten years ago.

But seriously, if you hate something with so much passion, why not switch the dial before to the point where the passion has built up to where you become obsessive about it? Sports radio in general is horrible. I hate it. Rome is the only one who I'll listen to because he's at least entertaining. But why punish yourself by listening to it if you hate it?

Chuck convinced me to buy Sirius radio.............and I love it, but now I'm just bitter that Chuck has forced me to pay for radio.

I gave Duel a shot for a couple days and thought his show was awful.

Also, I'm just fucking around about the other shit. You guys run a fine site and I try to avoid bothering either of you based on the amount of entertainment at work you provide me with.

GoGatos
08-06-2008, 04:08 PM
Uh yeah but 85% < 88%. That means Taylor holds onto less traffic than his predecessors. What part of this don't you understand?

Uh yeah, but Taylor has MORE THAN DOUBLED THE RATINGS OF ANY OTHER HOST FOR PM DRIVE IN TICKET 760 HISTORY. What part of this don't you understand? He is NOT doing worse than his predecessors.

Kori Ellis
08-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Uh yeah, but Taylor has MORE THAN DOUBLED THE RATINGS OF ANY OTHER HOST FOR PM DRIVE IN TICKET 760 HISTORY.

No one is denying that.

timvp's just saying that IN GENERAL the Ticket's listeners are up. So you have to consider it comparatively.

2centsworth
08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Timvp is just copying my post, dressing them up, and then making them his own.:lol

GoGatos
08-06-2008, 04:25 PM
No one is denying that.

timvp's just saying that IN GENERAL the Ticket's listeners are up. So you have to consider it comparatively.

I know what he's saying about listeners being up in general. I just took exception to him saying that Taylor's doing worse than his predecessors, which is flat out wrong.

timvp
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
I know what he's saying about listeners being up in general. I just took exception to him saying that Taylor's doing worse than his predecessors, which is flat out wrong.Is he or is he not doing a worse job in retaining the Rome traffic?

Kori Ellis
08-06-2008, 04:28 PM
He's not doing worse than his predecessors in overall raw listeners.

He is doing slightly worse than his predecessors were doing in terms of comparing to a baseline.

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Is he or is he not doing a worse job in retaining the Rome traffic?

You mean the greatest sports radio personality of all time Jim Rome?

timvp
08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
You mean the greatest sports radio personality of all time Jim Rome?Yes. I've listened since 1996.

:downspin:

PeterBurns
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Notice has PeterBurns ignores my post. He must not have that parent permission slip signed again.

Yo...Check the Spursreport Sold post.
I answered.

mexicanjunior
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
They both should just stream The Ticket 1310, best sports radio out there....