PDA

View Full Version : USA Basketball...get ready for dissapointment

benefactor
08-05-2008, 08:13 PM
I just got through watching the final exhibition game...and unless Krzyzewski gets out his "Basketball Offense for Dummies" book we are screwed.

All the big names are going to matter little. Two things are still a huge problem headed into the Games....we have no dominant post presence and we have no real offensive sets. Neither of these can be fixed. We were getting held in check by an Australia team that didn't even have one of its best players. The sad thing is that all it took was them playing a defensive scheme that would make the other team run some sort of real offense, and of course, we looked like we didn't know anything like that existed. The lack of a post presence hurt defensively too. You could really see how we could use a player like Josh Smith right now when you see LeBron block three shots.

There is no series here. Every game is Game 7. We can't afford for Carmelo to go 4-13 and miss all 4 threes. We can't afford for Howard to pull down HALF as many board as Carmelo in almost the same amount of time. We can't go 3-18 from behind the arc collectively. And I sure don't want to hear any of this "well these are just exhibitions" crap. We have been embarrassed thoroughly in international play. We should be looking to make a statement in every single game. Every time we walk on that floor we should be trying to erase a very forgettable recent past. But the fact of the matter is we can't, because yet again the team is not built the right way and we have the double barreled douchefest that is Krzyzewski and Dantoni on the bench acting like they are actually doing something of substance.

Hopefully I am wrong and they find a way to pull it out...but as of right now all the signs are pointing to the same old song, just a different verse.
:depressed

Red Hawk #21
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I think you are right on the money with this topic, I couldn't believe how the U.S looked today, there were times when the Aussies scored like 4 or 5 times in a row in that game. There was no ball movement on our side just players going iso. And I don't buy the "it was a just a exhibition game they didn't play their hardest" Bullshit. I know the U.S team was trying their best to crush the Aussies but they just couldn't. This team has alot of work to do, and by the way Kidd and Melo blow.

Findog
08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
This team has alot of work to do, and by the way Kidd and Melo blow.

:bang:bang:bang

nil.ball
08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
They looked like bunch of kids on steroids never played a game together before. It's isolation one on one every trip down the court. It's almost unbareable to watch.

Indazone
08-05-2008, 09:05 PM
These guys are gonna have to play some defense. The least they can do is run the high pick and roll for Kobe or Michael Redd. That doesn't take anytime to learn.

hater
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
well yeah, all it's gonna take is a bad shooting night for US and is all over. Kinda same as 2006, 2005, 2002, etc, etc

JamStone
08-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Having a dominant post presence in international play is not necessary. Look when Team USA did have a dominant post presence in the last Olympics with Duncan. And, what dominant post presence did Argentina have in 2004?

Teams in international play need great perimeter shooting and versatile players that can both shoot and either attack the rim off the dribble or score out of the post. The successful international teams have a lot of ball movement and take care of the ball.

That's where I somewhat agree with you in that Team USA doesn't have any set offensive plays. That's more important than having a dominant post presence. The American players need to stop going one on one and trying to make spectacular passes. The turnovers have hurt especially when it's compared to low turnovers by their opponent. A few more pick-and-roll counters and some give-and-go sets would help force the offense to move the ball more.

picnroll
08-05-2008, 09:59 PM
Screw Colangelo. Screw Cashefski. Screw team USA.

itzsoweezee
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
that pathetic excuse for an offense is completely on coach K. can the US win playing streetball? i really hope not.

Red Hawk #21
08-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Screw Colangelo. Screw Cashefski. Screw team USA.

:lol:lol

I. Hustle
08-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Yeah! Screw Cashewsky

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
"Kill Bill lie when he says there is some good players outside US because every person knows only US can play basketball". :rolleyes

RonMexico
08-05-2008, 10:44 PM
No offensive sets or inside presence? Sounds like Mike D'Antoni's offense alright...

Lp26
08-05-2008, 11:41 PM
I'm glad someone said it first :lol

I see the same problems as last year, all flash and no substance. A team that can execute a successful pick and roll, and keep them half-court can definitely beat them. They have the same scattered offense, and they look extremely confused when faced with actual defense.

I don't really care one way or another (I'm a bad American), but i don't feel any attachment to this team . . .

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 12:10 AM
all this chode blowing over an 11 point win. wow.

RonMexico
08-06-2008, 12:10 AM
I'm glad someone said it first :lol

I see the same problems as last year, all flash and no substance. A team that can execute a successful pick and roll, and keep them half-court can definitely beat them. They have the same scattered offense, and they look extremely confused when faced with actual defense.

I don't really care one way or another (I'm a bad American), but i don't feel any attachment to this team . . .

I think you can exchange the term "Team USA" and insert "2004-2008 Phoenix Suns" and the same descriptions would apply... yep, a team that can execute pick and roll and keep them in the half-court can beat them... scattered offense and confusion when faced with a defense that can stop them.

That pretty much looks like the Suns' last 4 playoff exits.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 12:16 AM
After hearing how bad this team sucks, I'm shocked we're actually winning all these games.

mavsfan1000
08-06-2008, 12:24 AM
After hearing how bad this team sucks, I'm shocked we're actually winning all these games.
Yeah it's unbelievable that a team as bad as this has won all their games by double digits.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 12:24 AM
I think Spurs fans are still pissed that Bowen's old ass didn't make the team. If he was there, you better believe there would be more "USA will outscore everyone by 40 ppg and win gold! Bowen will be tourney MVP!" threads created every day than all the Tlong "Oden/Bayless jackoff session" threads combined.

Don't be bitches just cuz your old ass man wasn't good enough to make it on the team.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 12:28 AM
I know the U.S team was trying their best to crush the Aussies but they just couldn't.

Oh so you're one of the players or coaches? You'd have to be to know that. So what the hell are you doing posting on a forum if your team sucks this bad? Get to game planning, asshole.

Spurtacus
08-06-2008, 01:27 AM

:tu

Lp26
08-06-2008, 01:40 AM

It's not exactly top notch competition. I'm curious to see what happens when they face Spain, Argentina, etc.

And i'm not a Spurs fan. I actually really dislike Bowen.

T Park
08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
I think Spurs fans are still pissed that Bowen's old ass didn't make the team. If he was there, you better believe there would be more "USA will outscore everyone by 40 ppg and win gold! Bowen will be tourney MVP!" threads created every day than all the Tlong "Oden/Bayless jackoff session" threads combined.

Don't be bitches just cuz your old ass man wasn't good enough to make it on the team.

???

wtf?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
08-06-2008, 01:57 AM
I think the team needs to be ran through Deron Williams, Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant. Those 3 are the best all around players team USA has.

I just don't think Lebron/Melo can accept not being the #1.

rj215
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
They probably could've used a coach with a better knowledge of the international game like oh I don't know....Coach Pop.

BTW Pop wouldn't put up with Dwight Howard missing defensive assignments and then arguing with him on the sidelines.

baseline bum
08-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Team USA better fucking be ready for Spain. They're going to have a huge chip on their shoulder after how pissed they were at Larry Brown calling that timeout at the end of the game they got eliminated in at Athens.

endrity
08-06-2008, 05:08 AM
Team USA better fucking be ready for Spain. They're going to have a huge chip on their shoulder after how pissed they were at Larry Brown calling that timeout at the end of the game they got eliminated in at Athens.

Not only that, Spain really can roll out a NBA starting five as well. They've got true NBA talent, which executes perfectly the international game.

Spain v. USA should be a great game. I hope Ricky Rubio plays a bit, the boy is everything they say he is.

benefactor
08-06-2008, 05:30 AM
Maybe you need to take an honest look at this team. The teams we played were either terrible, or didn't have all of their players. If you really think that playing the way we played against against Austrailia would have translated to a win against Greece or Spain you are kidding yourself.

Hater said it right...all its gonna take is one bad shooting night. Having some sort of offensive structure that allowed for easier looks would be able to help us overcome that. But that is not the case and at the end of the day we will try to depend on our "star power" and it will fail us yet again.

endrity
08-06-2008, 07:02 AM
The thing is USA will always blow away teams with little talent. Their athleticism, skill, makes it impossible for these kind of teams to keep a close score with the US. It's against talented and structured team that the US usually fails, and they have only played on such team, Russia, and were struggling until the fourth quarter.

mrspurs
08-06-2008, 09:13 AM
its run and gun what we saw on our hdtv. we shouldnt be called (team) usa, we should be called nba's (best)......i personally didnt see much team play, just the same ole show boating show, its gotten to the point(for me personally) where watching guys like superman get his shot blocked by some poor guy who's twice as short is what im waiting for......i know we're winning by double digits, but im from the days when our college boys used to whip the worlds behinds.........

Red Hawk #21
08-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Oh so you're one of the players or coaches? You'd have to be to know that. So what the hell are you doing posting on a forum if your team sucks this bad? Get to game planning, asshole.

I don't know what your upset about Mono. What I said wasn't a crime. You don't have to be a player or a coach to know that team U.S.A tries to crush their opponents. All the star players on that team try to dominate their opponents- Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Melo, Cp3 they all try their best to embarrass other teams. And they tried to do the same to the Aussies but they couldn't just because the Aussies played hard and played good defense. All Im trying to say is that this team needs to get better if they want to win the Gold

xtremesteven33
08-06-2008, 01:41 PM
to win the USA needs this lineup...

PG-Paul
SG-Bryant
SF-Lebron
PF-Bosh
C-Howard

Kidd and Melo are killing the team.

samikeyp
08-06-2008, 01:43 PM
to win the USA needs this lineup...

PG-Paul
SG-Bryant
SF-Lebron
PF-Bosh
C-Howard

Kidd and Melo are killing the team.

agreed, although I think Melo will snap out of it.