PDA

View Full Version : Source: LeBron would consider European offer of $50M a year or more

xtremesteven33
08-05-2008, 09:45 PM
Jay-Z and the New Jersey Nets? Mike D'Antoni and the New York Knicks?

Heck, the Cleveland Cavaliers' strongest competition for LeBron James' long-term services could be the deep-pocketed new kid on the block -- Europe.

A person close to James said Tuesday that the Cavaliers' superstar would strongly consider playing overseas if he was offered a salary of "around $50 million a year."
James' current contract expires after the 2009-10 season, and while several NBA teams are working to create salary cap space for his impending free agency, none could offer a contract beginning at even $20 million a year.
The Russian team CSKA Moscow and the Greek team Olympiacos, which recently gave Josh Childress a contract approaching $30 million over three years, have already contacted James, according to the person close to him. The person added, however, that no monetary or contractual discussions have taken place.
While $50 million a year seems outlandish, it is within the realm of possibility, considering the $250 million contract David Beckham received two years ago to join Major League Soccer, the $33 million Michael Jordan was paid by the Chicago Bulls for the 1997-98 season, the strength of the euro in comparison to the dollar, and the fact that European clubs are not bound by a salary cap.
While several NBA players have left the league this summer for more lucrative contracts in Europe, no stars have done so -- or even considered it. Joel Litvin, the NBA's president of league and basketball operations, said the league is not concerned about this developing trend.
"I don't want to say it's much ado about nothing, but we think it's overblown a bit," Litvin said. "It's not something we're losing sleep over. "
But losing a player of James' magnitude would be nothing short of a nightmare for the NBA.
"For the most part, the league considers the players to be fungible products," an official from the National Basketball Players Association said. "But LeBron is one of the three or four players the league would definitely hate to lose. If a team lost him or Kobe [Bryant] to Europe, it would lose its mind. It would be devastating."
But both Litvin and the NBPA official said they don't foresee anything -- even the loss of a superstar -- leading the NBA to eliminate the salary cap and thereby compete financially with the European teams.
"It would be disappointing to lose one of our star players, but I have no concern at all about the best players playing anywhere but in the NBA for a long time to come," Litvin said. "I'd be surprised if one of our top players chose to go to Europe but if it did happen, there are many players who would step up and fill the void."
The source close to James said LeBron would play in Europe only for a year or two before returning to the NBA. He said James would view it as an opportunity to popularize the game and himself overseas. He added that James would not consider himself to be playing in the "minor leagues."
"Not at all," the person said. "He believes those guys are pros also."
The entire scenario falls in line with James' stated goals of becoming a billionaire and "global icon." But the representative from the players' association will have to see James in a European uniform before he believes it.
"First of all, we don't know that there's going to be a $50 million offer," the official said. "And secondly, he wouldn't be able to accomplish over there the things that he wants to do over here, which are to win NBA championships, MVP awards, etc."
But he could become filthy rich and a global icon.

Chris Broussard is a senior writer for ESPN The Magazine.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3520860

Fillmoe
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
lol.... Dudes will sell their soul for money in 09.

dbreiden83080
08-05-2008, 11:55 PM
Oh yeah, Lebron is going to get a Jordan like legacy, by playing in Europe. :rolleyes

ducks
08-06-2008, 12:08 AM
he wants money

|AiE|illuzioN
08-06-2008, 12:37 AM
shit i'd take 50 million a year

baseline bum
08-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I'd play in Tehran or Greenland for $50 million a year.

Fillmoe
08-06-2008, 01:00 AM
but you dudes have no talent....

Fillmoe
08-06-2008, 01:00 AM
he wants money

lol...

MR OBVIOUS!

Spurtacus
08-06-2008, 01:28 AM
I'd play in Tehran or Greenland for $50 million a year.

Baghdad?

T Park
08-06-2008, 01:38 AM
Baghdad?

Praise Allah.

rj215
08-06-2008, 01:56 AM
His goal was to be a global icon and a billionaire. Plus he'd just play in Europe during the basketball season and then fly back to glorious Akron during the offseason.

TDMVPDPOY
08-06-2008, 02:51 AM
[QUOTE=rj and then fly back to glorious Akron during the offseason.[/QUOTE]

why would he? he be up for double taxing on foreign income if he stays in america for a accumulated period of time for that financial year.

Magic_Johnson
08-06-2008, 06:43 AM
He can't shoot, he will suck in europe

I. Hustle
08-06-2008, 07:25 AM
http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Michael-Jordan---10---Washington-Wizards-Photograph-C10109252.jpeg

stretch
08-06-2008, 08:25 AM
i think lebrons point was that he basically would not play in europe. id be willing to bet even if he did get an offer for $50 mil a year, he would still stay in the NBA.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
LeBron's goal isn't to be the next Jordan. He already said it was to be a global icon & a billionaire. Playing in Europe for a few years would help that.

I don't think he'd go until he already won a title in the NBA tho.

Kobayagi
08-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Praise Allah.

I'd praise Allah for half that money.

hater
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Lebron said he wants to be the first billionaire athlete.

that's what he wants. so I would not be surprised to see him go for 50, 60 mil a year.

Gino2882
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Sad. Todays athletes.

Lebroke must have spent his 100 millie Nike deal...

coachmac87
08-06-2008, 02:44 PM
isnt he already a global icon? jordan became one without leaving the league.

but man 50 mil a year is just crazy....thats almost manus or tony whole contract in one year!!!!!

i dont think he passes it up and plays about 2-3 years and collect almost 200mil just in his playing salary...not including new endorsements he could get.

hater
08-06-2008, 02:47 PM
isnt he already a global icon? jordan became one without leaving the league.

not even close to what Jordan was internationally.

When little kids in Paraguay say "James!" when they make a basket, he will be close. But right now, most of the world don't know who he is.

dbreiden83080
08-06-2008, 04:03 PM
he wants money

Has has money, and will make a shitload more of it when he wins a ring. You think Lebron has endorsements now, wait till he starts winning titles and he will be on TV every 15 seconds.

rj215
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Has has money, and will make a shitload more of it when he wins a ring. You think Lebron has endorsements now, wait till he starts winning titles and he will be on TV every 15 seconds.

Everyone thinks Lebron winning a title is a forgone conclusion. but when he signs his megadeal in 2010, how many teams outside of the Spurs will have a legit shot at winning a title? He might go somewhere like the Knicks and play for that loser D'Antoni. Or go to the Nets and have to carry whatever scrubs they'll have.

Shaolin-Style
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
How much freakin money do you need these days?

Does he drive a hummer 24/7 or something?

The Franchise
08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
i think lebrons point was that he basically would not play in europe. id be willing to bet even if he did get an offer for $50 mil a year, he would still stay in the NBA.

SSSHHHIIITTTTT!! That man would kill anybody standing between him and signing.

Dex
08-06-2008, 08:51 PM
Stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid stupid thing to say.

Lebron has to understand that he is virtually the face of the NBA right now. For him to come out and say that even he has a certain price that will bring him to Europe only adversely affects the NBAs situation. If even King James could be woo'd over, who's really that untouchable?

Some people in this world just don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

Indazone
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Why should Lebron care whether he's the face of the NBA or not if someone waves 50 million big ones in your face then you say how how you want me to jump.

Dex
08-06-2008, 10:14 PM
Why should Lebron care whether he's the face of the NBA or not if someone waves 50 million big ones in your face then you say how how you want me to jump.

Hey, I totally understand that. 50 million dollars a year is hard for ANYBODY to say no to.

But still, he's getting paid a ridiculous amount in the NBA already, and is the poster boy for a historical American league.

This whole thing with Europe is clearly making itself a threat to the NBA product. Obviously Europe is allowed to have its own league, but now all of a sudden all these teams with salary cap restrictions are gonna have new competition vying for their players that they simply just can't compete with. It tips the NBA scales.

If something is putting the integrity of the NBA in a bind, the last thing it needs it is for its biggest spokesperson to say even he can be sold out. And if Lebron had any respect for the actual NBA and everything he grew up idolizing, he'd be smart enough to not come out and publicly say it to the media, even if its what he really believes.

But once again, everything for King James seems to come down to the almighty dollar. I wonder what kind of Nike deal he can hook up in Greece?

pauls931
08-06-2008, 10:16 PM
No problem, increase ticket prices, raise cap, problem solved. Suckers, rejoice.

mavs>spurs2
08-06-2008, 10:17 PM
Hey, I totally understand that. 50 million dollars a year is hard for ANYBODY to say no to.

But still, he's getting paid a ridiculous amount in the NBA already, and is the poster boy for a historical American league.

This whole thing with Europe is clearly making itself a threat to the NBA product. Obviously Europe is allowed to have its own league, but now all of a sudden all these teams with salary cap restrictions are gonna have new competition that they just can't compete with. It tips the NBA scales.

If something is putting the integrity of the NBA in a bind, the last thing it needs it is for its biggest spokesperson to say even he can be sold out. And if Lebron had any respect for the actual NBA and everything he grew up idolizing, he'd be smart enough to not come out and publicly say it to the media, even its what he really believes.

But once again, everything for King James seems to come down to the almighty dollar. I wonder what kind of Nike deal he can hook up in Greece?

you self righteous tree hugging asshole, you're saying if your boss offered you a raise/promotion, even though there is a better man for the job being overlooked and he would be better for the company, you wouldn't accept? gtfo, if someone offered me double pay to go visit the world and fuck some fine european women i'd be gone too

stern and the u.s. government are to blame if the NBA collapses, certainly not lebron

Dex
08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
you self righteous tree hugging asshole, you're saying if your boss offered you a raise/promotion, even though there is a better man for the job being overlooked and he would be better for the company, you wouldn't accept? gtfo, if someone offered me double pay to go visit the world and fuck some fine european women i'd be gone too

stern and the u.s. government are to blame if the NBA collapses, certainly not lebron

Jeez, take your xanax and calm down, skippy.

All I said is that Lebron doesn't need to be shooting off his mouth to media RIGHT NOW about how much money it would take him to sign him out of the NBA.

His contracts not even up for two years, and the NBA obviously isn't too hip about all these players being nabbed by European teams that are playing by their own money rules. You know, it's real easy for someone to NOT fucking say something, but instead Lebron had to open his mouth, and now look what we've got: Another news article that makes the NBA look bad, sponsored by King James.

If he wants to take 50 million to play in Europe in two years, then fine, GTFO and good riddance. But until then, he should keep his mouth shut and quit trying to inflate his already ridiculously scaled paycheck.

mavs>spurs2
08-06-2008, 10:28 PM
You know, maybe by opening his mouth teams will actually see signing him as a possiblity and he will get more offers in the right price range. he's doing whats best for himself, and i dont blame him

Dex
08-06-2008, 10:32 PM
You know, maybe by opening his mouth teams will actually see signing him as a possiblity and he will get more offers in the right price range. he's doing whats best for himself, and i dont blame him

Then we've made the same point. If he's willing to sell out like that, Lebron cares more about money than he does about the NBA itself. Which doesn't sound that crazy to most of us hard working individuals.

But like I said, for a guy who is already the prima donna of the League and should be doing okay in the bank, I'd expect a little more character. You don't see Tim or Dirk flashing their name for European contracts and bigger dollars, do you?

I dunno. To me, it seems like for some of these players, being in the NBA might mean something.

mavs>spurs2
08-06-2008, 10:36 PM
I dunno. To me, it seems like for some of these players, being in the NBA might mean something.

I think it used to, but Stern is doing his best to put an end to those days

dbreiden83080
08-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Everyone thinks Lebron winning a title is a forgone conclusion. but when he signs his megadeal in 2010, how many teams outside of the Spurs will have a legit shot at winning a title? He might go somewhere like the Knicks and play for that loser D'Antoni. Or go to the Nets and have to carry whatever scrubs they'll have.

He's young and has the best physical talent of anyone in the league. I don't know why everyone is assuming he is leaving the Cavs but if he does, wherever he goes, a team will be built around him to give him a shot at it. Look at Kobe, his team went from Scrubs to contenders in like a season and a half.