PDA

View Full Version : If Pop coached a few more allstar games maybe we could attract some high profile FA's

RobinsontoDuncan
02-06-2005, 04:30 PM
He never has coached one before, but everytime a player talks with Pop they always seem to get a good impression, so i guess he might make a good impression. Ray Allen is a FA this summer.

Dre_7
02-06-2005, 04:32 PM
I dont think wed have the $$$ to sign Allen. But a lineup of Parker, Manu, Allen, TD would be AWESOME!

Brodels
02-06-2005, 05:06 PM
He never has coached one before, but everytime a player talks with Pop they always seem to get a good impression, so i guess he might make a good impression. Ray Allen is a FA this summer.

Who do you want to try to unload to get Allen? Would you rather give up Manu, Parker, or both?

xcoriate
02-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Theres a thing called cap room that you require to sign max free agents such as Ray Ray.

We don't have any.

Its not happening

Thats all

exstatic
02-06-2005, 06:05 PM
The Spurs will only have the MCE this year, and part or all of that is going to Scola. Ray Ray is too old to be breaking up your young corps to trade for, too. He'll be 30 right at FA time, and he WILL want a 6 or 7 year deal. He's not shooting as well from the field as Manu. He's not shooting as well as Manu from beyond the arc. I don't understand this infatuation with other team's players, especially ones with bad knees.

SequSpur
02-06-2005, 06:23 PM
37 and 10

Ed Helicopter Jones
02-06-2005, 06:26 PM

Yeah, it's a shame that the Spurs don't travel to any of the cities where these hot FA's play so that Pop and his staff could spend a little time chatting with them.

Thank goodness Pop is coaching an all-star game so he can meet these guys in person and impress them with his intense all-star game coaching style.

:pctoss

Gummi
02-06-2005, 06:50 PM
I think Pop is pretty well liked around the league. I've heard Charles Barkley talk nice about Pop several times during their show. Then during the World Championships in Indiana back in 2002, I read that several players really liked him, and also in the Olympics last year. I think Jermaine O'Neal talked about how Pop's a cool guy.

I don't think it's a matter of Pop not being in the spotlight like coaching the All-Star game, but San Antonio not being a "big time" city like New York, LA, and Chicago. I'm not saying that players only want to play in a big city, but remember an article several months ago when a reporter reported that LeBron James had a clause in his NIKE contract that if he would play for New York he would get a bonus money from them.

Also, the Spurs have a trend of signing older, more experienced players (Bowen, Barry, Ferry, Kerr, Porter, and so on), and certain players that fit the Spurs mold.

ShoogarBear
02-06-2005, 07:39 PM
Pop already has enough exposure with the World Championships and the Olympics the past two years.

That was serious coaching for serious competition, which >>> All-Star games.

Jimcs50
02-06-2005, 08:07 PM
37 and 10

38-10

RobinsontoDuncan
02-06-2005, 09:49 PM
Ok, dont shoot me please im just the messanger.