PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't give a damn about basketball Olympics...

Ill Cosby
08-06-2008, 01:40 PM
....I've been flip floppin' for the last month on how I felt about the Olympics.

I live in America, but I'm not a biggest fan of this country. Don't give me the 'would you live anywhere else in the world' BS, because that's relevant, beacause I could on and on how my people earned the things they have in this stolen land. So I'm not patriotic, but I would have loved to see Chris Paul buss some ass around the world (I saw that one move he did). Then I read an article on how Stern was cool with the players takin' a stand (it was on here) and even soundin' like he was encouraging it, but the players backed down.

Now I just watched this vid and I'm sure I don't give a damn about the Olympic and I'll be damned if I watch...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3517320&categoryId=2459788

First it sounded like Lebron wasn't the coon I thought he was (remember the Vanity Fair cover). Talked a good game, but like ESPN always does, they got him caught up and flip floppin' now sayin' that the Olympics are no place for politics or 'were just here to play basketball'

I've lost respect for:

Carmelo (already had little)
Lebron
Dwanye Wade
Daren Williams

I would love to see what the other players have to say

What, you'll do remeber this?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg/220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

SMH @ these overpayed (some underperforming) athletes...no back bone G

Findog
08-06-2008, 02:07 PM
I wonder why we need athletes to "speak out." Nobody is going to change anything because Carmelo told them to.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 02:21 PM
You have a be a pretty weak minded person to give a shit what professional athletes have to say about politics.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-06-2008, 02:23 PM
You have a be a pretty weak minded person to give a shit what professional athletes have to say about politics.

:lol

BWS-1994
08-06-2008, 02:29 PM
As I've read before: "Leave politics to the politicians."

But it isn't always a good thing.

Spur-Addict
08-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Carmelo..."And we let the Gov't deal with Politics"..--So sad, so sad. That's the mindset which is contributing to the deterioration of this country right now.

Spur-Addict
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
....I've been flip floppin' for the last month on how I felt about the Olympics.

I live in America, but I'm not a biggest fan of this country. Don't give me the 'would you live anywhere else in the world' BS, because that's relevant, beacause I could on and on how my people earned the things they have in this stolen land. So I'm not patriotic, but I would have loved to see Chris Paul buss some ass around the world (I saw that one move he did). Then I read an article on how Stern was cool with the players takin' a stand (it was on here) and even soundin' like he was encouraging it, but the players backed down.

Now I just watched this vid and I'm sure I don't give a damn about the Olympic and I'll be damned if I watch...

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3517320&categoryId=2459788

First it sounded like Lebron wasn't the coon I thought he was (remember the Vanity Fair cover). Talked a good game, but like ESPN always does, they got him caught up and flip floppin' now sayin' that the Olympics are no place for politics or 'were just here to play basketball'

I've lost respect for:

Lebron
Dwanye Wade
Daren Williams
Kobe Bryant

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c8/Carlos-Smith.jpg/220px-Carlos-Smith.jpg

Fixed.

monosylab1k
08-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Carmelo..."And we let the Gov't deal with Politics"..--So sad, so sad. That's the mindset which is contributing to the deterioration of this country right now.

Yeah because this country has really improved since all the douchebag celebrities starting talking politics out their ass.

The only good thing about all these moron celebrities acting like fake politicians is that it gave us some great moments in Team America.

stretch
08-06-2008, 02:54 PM

im not going to say anything more on this matter, but government and politics have accomplished absolutely nothing in human history. i dont give a damn about politics as i feel its waste of time, because there always has been, and always will be starvation, war, crime, and other such things going on. no government in this world will ever solve the problems we face, and many times only adds to them.

let people who enjoy politics, deal with politics. i dont care about them, never have, and never will. and my mindset has not contributed in the slightest bit to any deterioration of this country. ive never been convicted of a crime. i dont promote violence or anything degrading to society. i pay all my taxes and bills on time. i help in providing free community services. people not caring about politics has absolutely NOTHING to do with the degradation of society. its the stupid desicions that imperfect humans make, and thats it.

Spur-Addict
08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah because this country has really improved since all the douchebag celebrities starting talking politics out their ass.

The only good thing about all these moron celebrities acting like fake politicians is that it gave us some great moments in Team America.

Celebs are no different from regular people aside from their exposure. Should be utilized.

im not going to say anything more on this matter, but government and politics have accomplished absolutely nothing in human history. i dont give a damn about politics as i feel its waste of time, because there always has been, and always will be starvation, war, crime, and other such things going on. no government in this world will ever solve the problems we face, and many times only adds to them.

let people who enjoy politics, deal with politics. i dont care about them, never have, and never will. and my mindset has not contributed in the slightest bit to any deterioration of this country. ive never been convicted of a crime. i dont promote violence or anything degrading to society. i pay all my taxes and bills on time. i help in providing free community services. people not caring about politics has absolutely NOTHING to do with the degradation of society. its the stupid desicions that imperfect humans make, and thats it.

If you buy a car will you change the car piece by piece into a car you don't want?...I bet you won't. Only difference is, you share this car and refuse to keep it how you liike it. Yeah, gov't has done nothing, nothing but set guidelines around your life with consequences.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-06-2008, 03:14 PM
I wonder why we need athletes to "speak out." Nobody is going to change anything because Carmelo told them to.

I disagree. He helped me find the strength to beat my snitching addiction.

stretch
08-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Okay, one more post.

If you buy a car will you change the car piece by piece into a car you don't want?...I bet you won't. Only difference is, you share this car and refuse to keep it how you liike it. Yeah, gov't has done nothing, nothing but set guidelines around your life with consequences.

Something that has been done long before human governments. Simply read the bible.

then again, some arent bible readers/followers... but everyone is entitled to their own opinions and choices.

in some ways, you could argue that these "guidelines" has actually led to crazier people and more crime, as many people dont do crime just to survive, but because they enjoy the "thrill" that it gives to them. im not saying i buy into it, but some people make very good arguments for that.

my point is, it doesnt matter what the consequences are, you make your own desicions in life. consequences may help have an effect, but they dont make the descisions. you make your own. government cannot solve those problems, never has, and never will. as time has gone on, and governments have become more "sophisticated" and "advanced", the issues society face have only gotten worse. why do you think you hear about old people saying "back in my day, you didnt even have to lock the door. you didnt have to worry about going outside and getting robbed, or your kids getting kidnapped. but today on the other hand..." and stuff like that? its an interesting correllation that as government "improves", societies problems increase.

Darthkiller
08-06-2008, 03:24 PM
dude, if even they are gonna speak out, they arent gonna just say oh i will speak out, then the chinese government will just be prepared to not broadcast them.

Ill Cosby
08-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Fixed.

Nah...I didn't have too much respect for Kobe in the first place so...it's whatever

Aren't these guys suppose to be there to represent the USA?

So they are basically reppin' us by sayin "We don't give a damn"

OF COURSE I don't expect Kobe to sign legislation to stop genocide, but an athlete makin' noise on such issues is a loud noise...(Look at the gesture[pic] in my 1st post)

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Part of the problem is that these guys know they don't have a leg to stand on. How much money are they making off of companies who protect their bottom line by getting their stuff made in China? Most of them are probably just scared stiff of the prospect of trying to sound important and coming across as a dumbass to the media in the process. And I have my doubts that Stern and company really gave them a green light to speak their minds in China as the NBA expands into that market.

ambchang
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
I wish all the celebrities will come out and tell the other countries that if they run their country any different from the great US of A, they will feel the wrath of those who know nothing else but what their idols tell them.

stretch
08-06-2008, 04:48 PM
Aren't these guys suppose to be there to represent the USA?

No, they represent USA Basketball.

sabar
08-06-2008, 04:52 PM
Uh the less they speak the better. Human beings are already bombarded by propaganda from every direction. Everything everyone says has an agenda to it, people are always trying to convert you to the right side. From the moment you are born and your parents instill their values into you, you are being created by society, not by yourself. I'm glad these athletes aren't saying anything.

We have enough mindless sheep making choices based on popularity, it would be nice for the kids (and even adults) watching these athletes to be able to make an informed decision on their own and not be molded into what the people around them think they should be.

There are people that say that it is for their own good, and this is true but only to some extent. At first people say "murder is wrong" and everyone agrees, but soon you have people saying things like "communism is evil" and "capitalism is evil", things in which people are split upon yet both sides would take it to the grave that their statement is the right one.

Leave politics to politicians, voting people, and parents. I'm watching the olympics to see some basketball, not for a forum on human rights violations. If you want that I am sure Nbadan and Co would be glad to discuss it in the political forum.

Mav fan may have hurt my team in 2006, but they know what they're talking about here.

I. Hustle
08-06-2008, 05:02 PM

:tu I hate that celebs feel that they have an obligation to speak their political views. Just because a person is a celeb does not make them more educated than anyone else. I can’t stand idiots like Rosie O’Donnell (sp?) who thinks that she needs to fight against every single group just to get some exposure since she butched out. I don’t even care the affiliation. Even though I can’t stand extreme liberals I feel the same about the super conservative republicans.

RonMexico
08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
Worst thread ever.

The idea and practical application of "government" is too complex for us to dissect on a message board. Likewise, it's too much to expect an NBA athlete to provide some profound ideology in a sound clip when his main focus should be to win the gold medal.

If we were to simplify politics/government, then we could simply describe it in terms of the chicken/egg theory: was there so much disorder that governments formed to better society or has the scope of government grown so much that it has caused unrest and - therefore - more disorder? Likewise, is a poor system of government to blame for Ill Cosby's terrible grammar and spelling or is he just an idiot? Was SpursDynasty born a faggot or did his environment turn him into one?

Ill Cosby
08-06-2008, 09:04 PM
You guys obviously don't get it, I'm not askin' for this dudes to refuse to play, wear all black, or chain them selves to a doo. I damn sure don't expect a speech.

I'm not expectin too much, but IMO nothing is unacceptable...Mind you DAVID STERN SAID IT WAS OKAY...

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/08062007/3/nba-boss-stern-ok-china-darfur-olympic-protest.html

I see if they were threatened with fines and what not, but the BIG BOSS o'kayed it, and they would even display a small symbol of disapproval...

Hell even the 'Dream Team' protested...!!!

This thread seems to be full of 'It ain't my business' types

Maybe it's just me who sees the injustice brought upon helpless people and it's supported by the country that is hosting the damn games

what about this?

http://www.rushmoredrive.com/News/FeatureArticle.aspx?fid=ddc31a48-9441-4cc0-ada4-c031c0b52907

Chinese Paper Says Blacks Banned From Bars During Olympics Published on: Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Nsenga Burton What do Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwight Howard and Jason Kidd have in common? They are the starting five of the 2008 Olympic Men’s Basketball team and none of them will be admitted to any bars in Beijing because they are black. No, this is not fiction -- it is fact as reported by the South China Morning Post (7/18/08). Beijing authorities have forbidden bar owners to serve blacks during the 2008 Olympics.

How hypocritical is it that the host of the largest international sports competition in the free world would ban an entire group of people based on race? This blanket discrimination is couched in the idea of “controlling” Beijing’s problem with prostitution and drugs, which is primarily driven by Mongolians. Somehow, this policy smacks of impropriety, pun intended, and underscores China’s continuous policies of discrimination. You would think with the global embarrassment over the mistreatment of Tibetan Monks, faulty consumer products, and the suppression of information about deadly diseases, that China would have figured out by now that the systematic exclusion of an entire group of people, many of whom have histories of horrendous discrimination in their home countries, would not reflect well on the mainland. Further, I was not aware that blacks owned drug trafficking and prostitution worldwide. Amsterdam anyone?

Let’s get this straight. Black people can participate in the games, add money to the economy in “permitted” spaces like hotels, lodges and restaurants, but they cannot go to a bar, which may be located in a hotel, lodge or restaurant. This is outrageous. Would the world stand still if in 2008 the United States was banning entire populations of people based on perceived ideas about race?

Pretending to control drug trafficking while controlling the movement of black folks is out of control. To define an entire race of people as drug dealers and prostitutes is unacceptable. I guess this is what you get when an international committee overlooks a country that has transgressed human rights without recourse. The world community needs to unite against this injustice and demand that China allow all Olympic participants, athletes and visitors alike, equal access to all venues.

As China prepares to take the world’s stage in celebration of athletes all over the world, and by extension their people, it is tragic that they have decided to add blanket discrimination to the many offerings during this year’s Olympic games. Perhaps our expectations of China are too high? It is kind of ridiculous to have the expectation of moving freely in a country that does not allow its citizens to move freely. Complicated countries have complicated practices. The fact that Beijing is being allowed to ban all Blacks from any place or event, without rebuke or scorn, is maddening. Will the world stand by while China further institutionalizes another human rights debacle?

I guess they should just STFU about that too? SMH @ some of ya'll clowns

Atleast some poster gave a intelligent reason, though I don't agree with some of your points, you atleast have one

Likewise, is a poor system of government to blame for Ill Cosby's terrible grammar and spelling or is he just an idiot?

Last time I checked we were on the internet, not writing a school paper :lol

Indazone
08-06-2008, 10:07 PM
Dirk just came out with his own statement on the ongoing problems in the Olympics.

Dirk Nowitzki on Olympic Boycotts

April 17, 2008

The German news channel n-tv just released a statement of Dirk Nowitzki (http://www.n-tv.de/OlympiaBoykott_Nowitzki_kritisiert_Politiker/170420080318/950587.html) regarding the ongoing problems about the Olympics in Beijng this summer.

Why should athletes do, what politicans aren’t able to do for years? It is wrong, to make the athletes protest now! When they elected China for the Olympic games to be held at, they should have known that two worlds would clash. They also should have known that there will be trouble, but sport itself is non-political and there are athletes that work for the Olympics for four years. There is no reason for these guys now, not to participate!”
There is still no news on Chris Kaman getting a German passport to fight for Germany’s spot for the Olympics. Germany is not qualified for the Olympics yet and has to play a tournament in Athens later this summer.

http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/dirk-nowitzki-on-olympic-boycotts/

Kill_Bill_Pana
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Look to me like many more Americans need express political views when crap is go on. Americans keeps their mouth shut about this all time is what allow such evil as this happen. You will not be forgiven for fail to speak against such things.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article4466512.ece

White House 'buried British intelligence on Iraq WMDs'

MI6 told Tony Blair before the invasion of Iraq that a high-placed Iraqi source said that Saddam Hussein had no weapons of mass destruction. The intelligence was passed to the US but was buried by the White House, according to a new book.

The book claimed that the former Prime Minister sent a top British spy to the Middle East in 2003 — three months before the invasion — to dig up enough intelligence to avoid war but that President Bush and Dick Cheney, the Vice-President, dismissed any claims or possible evidence that would stop military action.

In The Way of the World, the Pulitzer prize-winning author Ron Suskind also claimed that the White House ordered the CIA to forge a backdated, handwritten letter purportedly from the head of Iraqi Intelligence to Saddam. The letter, which came to light nine months after the invasion, was meant to demonstrate a link between the Baathist regime and al-Qaeda.

The forgery, adamantly denied by the White House, was passed to a British journalist in Baghdad and written about as if genuine by The Sunday Telegraph on December 14, 2003. The article received significant attention in the US and provided the White House with a new rationale for the invasion, Suskind claimed. The White House called the allegation absurd.
Related Links

* British commanders 'wanted to storm Basra'

* Secret deal kept British Army out of Basra battle

* Bush reduces duration of tours of duty in Iraq

Suskind said that at the beginning of 2003 MI6 sent one of its top agents, Michael Shipster, to the region. Mr Shipster held secret meetings in Jordan with Tahir Jalil Habbush, the head of Iraqi Intelligence. The meetings were confirmed by Nigel Inkster, former assistant director of MI6.

Mr Inkster also confirmed that Mr Shipster was told by Mr Habbush that there were no illicit weapons in Iraq. Mr Inkster refused to comment last night.

Sir Richard Dearlove, the former head of British Intelligence, was also interviewed by Suskind. The author said that Sir Richard confirmed the Shipster meetings and report. He added that he asked why Mr Blair had not acted on the intelligence.

Sir Richard was quoted as saying that the mission was an eleventh-hour “attempt to try, as it were, I’d say, to diffuse \ the whole situation”. He added: “The problem was the Cheney crowd was in too much of a hurry, really. Bush never resisted them quite strongly enough.”

Suskind wrote that Sir Richard flew to Washington in February 2003 to present the Habbush report to George Tenet, then the Director of the CIA. The report stated that according to Mr Habbush, Saddam had ended his nuclear programme in 1991 — the same year that he destroyed his chemical weapons programme — and ended his biological weapons programme in 1996. These assertions turned out to be true.

Mr Tenet briefed Mr Bush and Condoleezza Rice, at the time his National Security Adviser.

Suskind wrote: “The White House then buried the Habbush report. They instructed the British that they were no longer interested in keeping the channel open.”

Rob Richer, a former CIA officer in the Near East division, told Suskind: “The Brits wanted to avoid war — which was what was driving them. Bush wanted to go to war in Iraq from the very first days he was in office.”

Mr Habbush was put on the White House’s list of most-wanted Iraqis but according to Suskind he was paid by the CIA in October 2003 to write the forged letter to Saddam, dated July 1, 2001, saying that the putative September 11 ringleader Mohammed Atta had trained for his mission in Iraq. This was the letter publicised in The Sunday Telegraph.

Of the forgery allegation, Mr Tenet said: “There was no such order from the White House to me or, to the best of my knowledge, was anyone from the CIA ever involved in any such effort.” Of Mr Habbush, Mr Tenet said that the claims in the book were a complete fabrication. He said that Mr Habbush had “failed to persuade” the British that he had “anything new to offer by way of intelligence”.

Delving deep

— Ron Suskind was a reporter for The Wall Street Journal from 1993 to 2000

— His serialised stories, following a religious student from a blighted inner-city school to the Ivy League Brown University, won the Pulitzer Prize for Feature Writing in 1995

— His 2004 book The Price of Loyalty penetrated the inner sanctum of the Bush Administration

— Excepts of his last book, The One Percent Doctrine, were published last month in Time magazine

monosylab3k
08-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Dirk just came out with his own statement on the ongoing problems in the Olympics.

Dirk Nowitzki on Olympic Boycotts

April 17, 2008
The German news channel n-tv just released a statement of Dirk Nowitzki (http://www.n-tv.de/OlympiaBoykott_Nowitzki_kritisiert_Politiker/170420080318/950587.html) regarding the ongoing problems about the Olympics in Beijng this summer.

Why should athletes do, what politicans aren’t able to do for years? It is wrong, to make the athletes protest now! When they elected China for the Olympic games to be held at, they should have known that two worlds would clash. They also should have known that there will be trouble, but sport itself is non-political and there are athletes that work for the Olympics for four years. There is no reason for these guys now, not to participate!”
There is still no news on Chris Kaman getting a German passport to fight for Germany’s spot for the Olympics. Germany is not qualified for the Olympics yet and has to play a tournament in Athens later this summer.

http://www.ballineurope.com/national-teams/dirk-nowitzki-on-olympic-boycotts/

Get AIDS, Rockets fan.

Indazone
08-07-2008, 12:11 PM
:lol

Getting under your skin eh Mavsfan? We all know how soft Dirk is and that statement even if it was back in April proves it.

stretch
08-07-2008, 12:14 PM
We all know how soft Dirk is and that statement even if it was back in April proves it.

What? Are you stupid or something? how does that have anything to do with Dirk being what you call "soft"? please explain.

Findog
08-07-2008, 12:48 PM
We all know how soft Dirk is

Dirk ain't soft. There are flaws and holes in his game, but being "soft" isn't one of them. Get a clue.

RonMexico
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Are you speaking about Dirk's flaccid penis? If so, then yes, he is soft.

RonMexico
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
My summary of this thread so far...

Ill Cosby: "Shit, fuck NBA Players and Fuck America... go Juan Carlos"
stretch: "Fuck the man"
Kill Bill Pana: "US evil an ees fuckin stupid just like all American can see Kill Bill Pana not a liar I love European basketball team they are all really good Saddam no have weapons of mass destruction Bush is a liar but everyone on message board call Kill Bill Pana a liar. I no a liar because Lebron gonna play in Europe too with Josh Childress all you on message board can suck my dick like George Bush and Tony Blair."

stretch
08-07-2008, 01:29 PM
Kill Bill Pana: "US evil an ees fuckin stupid just like all American can see Kill Bill Pana not a liar I love European basketball team they are all really good Saddam no have weapons of mass destruction Bush is a liar but everyone on message board call Kill Bill Pana a liar. I no a liar because Lebron gonna play in Europe too with Josh Childress all you on message board can suck my dick like George Bush and Tony Blair."

you forgot about his V-Span dick sucking.

RonMexico
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
you forgot about his V-Span dick sucking.

That's a good point. Rockets is stooopid.

Ill Cosby
08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
My summary of this thread so far...

Ill Cosby: "Shit, fuck NBA Players and Fuck America... go Juan Carlos"

Why do sheepish patriots translate any type of critical dialogue about this country or anyone representing this country as Anti-American?

Forgive my word asscoiation; to me 'patriotism' is blind support of your country, which alot of white people seem to have. This country has an evil past, and no one wants to acknowledge it. Look at 9-11. During WWII we dropped two atomic bombs and killed thousands of innocent people in the name of democracy (America is not really ran by a true democracy...think about it...do you really get to choose who's president or do you pick out of a group given to us...?), but when people who have their known rights attack us, now everyone that looks like them, in this country, are all evil now.

Or let's take to slavery. I'll be the first one to admit that every black person currently living in the USA are decendents of enslaved people, some may have came to this country later. Every white person does'nt have ancestors who were slave owners. Cool. But too many white people act like no one should pay for 400 years of free labor and oppression. Business wise if your grandfather worked at a company for 40 years, didn't get paid right, then died, wouldn't you sue for his paid even though he's dead now..? And your a fool if you think the past doesn't affect the future..but that's another discussion...

One reason I'm not on the 'Back To Africa' bandwagon is because we build this damn country and I'd be spittin on the graves of Fred Hampton, Dr. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcom X, and countless other people who fought so we could be treated equally not to leave and run away...I'm stayin'...

But as a Black American, I'm proud to be just that...

ambchang
08-07-2008, 04:27 PM
So all along, you actually wanted the NBA players not to play to boycott America and its evil past?

RonMexico
08-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Why do sheepish patriots translate any type of critical dialogue about this country or anyone representing this country as Anti-American?

Forgive my word asscoiation; to me 'patriotism' is blind support of your country, which alot of white people seem to have. This country has an evil past, and no one wants to acknowledge it. Look at 9-11. During WWII we dropped two atomic bombs and killed thousands of innocent people in the name of democracy (America is not really ran by a true democracy...think about it...do you really get to choose who's president or do you pick out of a group given to us...?), but when people who have their known rights attack us, now everyone that looks like them, in this country, are all evil now.

Or let's take to slavery. I'll be the first one to admit that every black person currently living in the USA are decendents of enslaved people, some may have came to this country later. Every white person does'nt have ancestors who were slave owners. Cool. But too many white people act like no one should pay for 400 years of free labor and oppression. Business wise if your grandfather worked at a company for 40 years, didn't get paid right, then died, wouldn't you sue for his paid even though he's dead now..? And your a fool if you think the past doesn't affect the future..but that's another discussion...

One reason I'm not on the 'Back To Africa' bandwagon is because we build this damn country and I'd be spittin on the graves of Fred Hampton, Dr. Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, Malcom X, and countless other people who fought so we could be treated equally not to leave and run away...I'm stayin'...

But as a Black American, I'm proud to be just that...

Not sheepish. Not a blind patriot. Not white. Not translating anything you said. In fact, that's exactly what you did say. You posted a picture of Juan Carlos and said you lost respect for a certain number of NBA players and said America is evil.

And your arguments are full of non-sequitors: "this country has an evil past. Look at 9-11."

Ok, I'm looking at 9-11 and I see thousands of innocent people that died when two massive skyscrapers collapsed because "blind patriots" of another country flew two jets into them. That means America is evil? Or are you purporting that the U.S. Government planted bombs in the Twin Towers because the country is evil? It's just one big conspiracy. Then you proceed to launch into a commentary about World War II... I guess there's a link because the "Manhattan Project" developed the atomic bomb and Manhattan is where the World Trade Center collapsed. Coincidence????? Not at all because the American government is diabolical and evil and Harry Truman planned 9-11 back in 1945, obviously.

Another quote: "But too many white people act like no one should pay for 400 years of free labor and oppression." What white people do you hang out with? Who are you talking about? President Bush? All the people in the Twin Towers when they collapsed? Congressmen? That crazy old white guy down the street from you? I need some concrete support for this argument because most of the white people I know that would say such things don't have jobs and therefore, can't pay for anything in the first place.

Quote 3: "Business wise if your grandfather worked at a company for 40 years, didn't get paid right, then died, wouldn't you sue for his paid even though he's dead now..?" It's your right as a free American to sue. Many people in other countries would not have such a right.

Quote 4: "But as a Black American, I'm proud to be just that..." This is probably the quote I don't understand the most. Do you not realize that is a very patriotic statement? You're sitting here and telling us in your initial post that you're not caring about Olypmic basketball because you don't like America. Then you're saying that all "patriots" are blind homers and you don't like those kind of people. But then you close your post by stating that you're proud of the nation that your ancestors helped build and you're not going anywhere. That's the true definition of "patriotism"!!! That's why you should be standing up and cheering for guys like LeBron, D-Wade, Chris Paul, Kobe, etc. because they're manifestations of the freedom in America. The Chinese are banning black people from bars!!! You should be proud that such racial injustice is no longer allowed in America - the country your ancestors helped build.

But you know who else's ancestors helped build this country? All the men who are representing the United States basketball team at the Olympics this year. For the same reason that you do not have to and do not want to leave this country, those men do not have to make a public, verbal stand against the Chinese government. The fact that they are there, competing and representing their country is already victory enough. And if they are standing up on the podium receiving gold medals across their necks for all of the world and China to see, then you should smile with pride and cheer for them because they successfully represented the country that your ancestors and my ancestors and all our ancestors (except SpursDynasty) helped build.

Ill Cosby
08-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Some of your misunderstanding I due to my poor wording (too much frustration when I'm serious and some cats are jokin). That's why I have a few non-sequitors. My fault entirely.

First off I was defining what a "patriot" is commonly demonstrated as. Most of the people who claim to be "patriotic" are straight sleep when it comes to this country and it's dealings. And people who critisize commonly are called un-"patriotic". Yes I said there is an evil past and expressed I'm a proud Black American, but I never said I hate the country. Like I said, I should be able to be proud and be able to point out the evils at the same time...that's just common sense to me.

Ok, I'm looking at 9-11 and I see thousands of innocent people that died when two massive skyscrapers collapsed because "blind patriots" of another country flew two jets into them. That means America is evil? Or are you purporting that the U.S. Government planted bombs in the Twin Towers because the country is evil? It's just one big conspiracy. Then you proceed to launch into a commentary about World War II... I guess there's a link because the "Manhattan Project" developed the atomic bomb and Manhattan is where the World Trade Center collapsed. Coincidence????? Not at all because the American government is diabolical and evil and Harry Truman planned 9-11 back in 1945, obviously.

I brought up 9-11 just to illustrate the fact an American life is no more important than an Oriental life or an Arabian life. Those are terrible events. And I rather not get into my believes on the shady facts surrounding the Twin Tower and Pentagon attacks right now (too lengthy and off subject).

Another quote: "But too many white people act like no one should pay for 400 years of free labor and oppression." What white people do you hang out with? Who are you talking about? President Bush? All the people in the Twin Towers when they collapsed? Congressmen? That crazy old white guy down the street from you? I need some concrete support for this argument because most of the white people I know that would say such things don't have jobs and therefore, can't pay for anything in the first place.

Well let's also remember we live two different lives, so as I can respect your experience, you should be able respect mine. That's what I've heard and seen. I can't give you names and transcripts, not to joke, but I hope you know what I mean.

I could bring up a few documentaries where white people were interviewed and give the 'It was a long time ago' excuse.

Quote 3: "Business wise if your grandfather worked at a company for 40 years, didn't get paid right, then died, wouldn't you sue for his paid even though he's dead now..?" It's your right as a free American to sue. Many people in other countries would not have such a right.

I know that. And that fact is besides the point, I'm talkin' about America. I, again, was trying to illustrate a point. Regardless of how long ago it was, the fruits of their fruits of their(Africans who were enslaved) labor are a very present reality. There are companies who started off in the 1800's that are Fortune 500 because of that foundation of having free labor from slaves gave them the ability to maximize profit.

Quote 4: "But as a Black American, I'm proud to be just that..." This is probably the quote I don't understand the most. Do you not realize that is a very patriotic statement? You're sitting here and telling us in your initial post that you're not caring about Olypmic basketball because you don't like America. Then you're saying that all "patriots" are blind homers and you don't like those kind of people. But then you close your post by stating that you're proud of the nation that your ancestors helped build and you're not going anywhere. That's the true definition of "patriotism"!!! That's why you should be standing up and cheering for guys like LeBron, D-Wade, Chris Paul, Kobe, etc. because they're manifestations of the freedom in America. The Chinese are banning black people from bars!!! You should be proud that such racial injustice is no longer allowed in America - the country your ancestors helped build.

But you know who else's ancestors helped build this country? All the men who are representing the United States basketball team at the Olympics this year. For the same reason that you do not have to and do not want to leave this country, those men do not have to make a public, verbal stand against the Chinese government. The fact that they are there, competing and representing their country is already victory enough. And if they are standing up on the podium receiving gold medals across their necks for all of the world and China to see, then you should smile with pride and cheer for them because they successfully represented the country that your ancestors and my ancestors and all our ancestors (except SpursDynasty) helped build.

I don't hate America
I don't hate being here
I don't want the NBA players too stop playing

My only problem is that, you talk about all these great rights and privileges we have, shouldn't we exercise them? Then why not speak for people who would otherwise be killed for raising awareness. I don't really want them to protest (I'll admit that was too strong of a world), but bring awareness. Nike isn't gonna drop Lebron's and Kobe's contracts if they (let's say) carry the Sudanese flag in support of the people who are goin' through genocide or the Tibetan flag for support. Not even big flags, maybe joints like this size...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/intl-gallery6/images/photo-04-398h.jpg

I'm a simple man and I was just lookin' for something simple and small

Spurtacus
08-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Are you speaking about Dirk's flaccid penis? If so, then yes, he is soft.

Steve Nash revealed this to you? :wow

RonMexico
08-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Steve Nash revealed this to you? :wow

He mentioned it once, yes.

RonMexico
08-08-2008, 09:33 AM
Some of your misunderstanding I due to my poor wording (too much frustration when I'm serious and some cats are jokin). That's why I have a few non-sequitors. My fault entirely.

First off I was defining what a "patriot" is commonly demonstrated as. Most of the people who claim to be "patriotic" are straight sleep when it comes to this country and it's dealings. And people who critisize commonly are called un-"patriotic". Yes I said there is an evil past and expressed I'm a proud Black American, but I never said I hate the country. Like I said, I should be able to be proud and be able to point out the evils at the same time...that's just common sense to me.

I brought up 9-11 just to illustrate the fact an American life is no more important than an Oriental life or an Arabian life. Those are terrible events. And I rather not get into my believes on the shady facts surrounding the Twin Tower and Pentagon attacks right now (too lengthy and off subject).

Well let's also remember we live two different lives, so as I can respect your experience, you should be able respect mine. That's what I've heard and seen. I can't give you names and transcripts, not to joke, but I hope you know what I mean.

I could bring up a few documentaries where white people were interviewed and give the 'It was a long time ago' excuse.

I know that. And that fact is besides the point, I'm talkin' about America. I, again, was trying to illustrate a point. Regardless of how long ago it was, the fruits of their fruits of their(Africans who were enslaved) labor are a very present reality. There are companies who started off in the 1800's that are Fortune 500 because of that foundation of having free labor from slaves gave them the ability to maximize profit.

I don't hate America
I don't hate being here
I don't want the NBA players too stop playing

My only problem is that, you talk about all these great rights and privileges we have, shouldn't we exercise them? Then why not speak for people who would otherwise be killed for raising awareness. I don't really want them to protest (I'll admit that was too strong of a world), but bring awareness. Nike isn't gonna drop Lebron's and Kobe's contracts if they (let's say) carry the Sudanese flag in support of the people who are goin' through genocide or the Tibetan flag for support. Not even big flags, maybe joints like this size...

http://www.whitehouse.gov/president/intl-gallery6/images/photo-04-398h.jpg

I'm a simple man and I was just lookin' for something simple and small

Simple and small is fine. You still have some comments in there that would be better supported by facts.

Gunnery Sgt Hartman
08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
This thread is pathetic. Private Cosby, you me sick to my fucking stomach! I should PT you until you fucking die! I'll PT you until your asshole is sucking buttermilk!!!

Ill Cosby
08-09-2008, 03:17 PM
BEIJING – The Chinese government was so frightened that Joey Cheek, the former Olympic medalist turned human rights advocate, would come to the Beijing Games and mention the murder of 400,000 Sudanese that it decided to revoke his visa.
They must be petrified then of Kobe Bryant and LeBron James, the two global sporting icons who are immensely popular in this basketball-mad country and are simply too big to silence.
Should either display the conviction they’ve flashed in the past in publicly denouncing the genocide in Darfur, then the Chinese could be humiliated by the attention on their decision to buy oil from, and provide arms to, the murderous Sudanese government.
Will they, though?
Or will the enormity of it all, the general chilling of speech at these bizarre games or the push by USA Basketball for Kobe and LeBron to focus first on winning gold, allow the moment to pass?
ADVERTISEMENT

The situation is so tense in totalitarian Beijing that Cheek, who won two medals as a speed skater at the Turin Games and then donated his prize money, time and boundless energy to the children of Darfur, is stuck back in Washington D.C. No less than President Bush is being lobbied to fight for the return of his visitation visa.
“What I see is a major push globally by the Chinese to suppress speech by any athletes anywhere,” Cheek said by phone Thursday. “Revoking my visa probably stands as an example to anyone in China who wants to speak about anything.”
James and Bryant probably don’t fear the Chinese. Bryant said he didn’t even know who Cheek was, let alone what happened.
They have been among the most outspoken of the major American athletes on the subject and are capable of generating a level of worldwide (and in-China) attention like few others.
Bryant cut a public service announcement a year ago on Darfur, demanding people to rise up and help (“Together we have the power to change the world”). James, in an interview with ESPN, echoed the sentiments (“We’re talking about lives lost”) and promised a bigger statement here in Beijing.
On Thursday, however, both shied away from bold pronouncements.
“No, not really,” Bryant said when asked if he had anything to say about Darfur.
“Basic human rights should always be protected,” James said before adding, “One thing you can’t do is confuse sports and politics.”
“I think the political guys are going to do what they need to do, that’s their job,” he added. “We are here to concentrate on a gold medal. Sports and politics just don’t match.”
Whether they continue that approach remains to be seen. Perhaps they are planning something big later in the Olympics. Perhaps they’ve decided to step back.
Or perhaps they’ll come to the realization of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity they have here and will grow emboldened.
“For certain, when the Olympics are over, their opinions won’t carry so much weight,” USA Basketball managing director Jerry Colangelo said. “Right now, it is a hot button.”
But will Kobe or LeBron push it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It’s not fair to demand that they do. If they want, Bryant and James can embrace a potential hero’s role. You can’t demand a person to have that in him, though.
Cheek, who makes this look almost easy, is the first to say each person’s commitment to a cause is their own personal choice. Just two years ago, he was advocating merely for the children of Darfur to play sports and improve the basics of their life in refugee camps. His demands for stronger action grew over time.
“At some point I said, ‘As great as it is that we have these programs for kids to play, you know what would be really great is if their government stopped gunning them down,’ ” he said.
So he makes no demands on athletes, just on China and the International Olympic Committee to allow anyone to speak as they wish.
“Let me not say what anyone else should do, because that is not my place,” Cheek said. “I think for everyone their first goal is to compete, as well it should. But freedom of speech is implicit in the Olympic charter.”
At the very least, he’s heartened that the U.S. Olympic team, in an obvious statement, selected a former Sudanese refugee, runner Lopez Lomong, now a naturalized citizen, to carry the American flag at Friday’s Opening Ceremony.
James previously promised on ESPN that his decision would not be affected by any possible pressure from his two main employers – the NBA and Nike – both of whom see China as fertile ground for business.
“People should understand that human rights and people’s lives are in jeopardy,” James said in May. “We’re not talking about contracts here. We’re not talking about money.”
It was then that he promised to say something big in Beijing. One day in, he didn’t. Has anything changed?
“No,” he said. “Nothing. It’s the same statement I’ve made.”
Bryant echoed the sentiment and claimed that this may not be the best time.
“Nothing’s changed. It’s just time to play basketball,” he said. “I’m not a government official or politician. I’ll let them do that.”
You weren’t a politician before and you spoke out, he was reminded.
“That’s different than coming out here and speaking about it on a daily basis,” Bryant said. “If the politicians want to get paid to shoot jump shots, then they can come and do that.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Colangelo and U.S. head coach Mike Krzyzewski have been adamant that they have told no one what or what not to say.
“What we said was, ‘We don’t muzzle anyone. If you, in your heart, think you need to say something, that is entirely up to you,’ ” Colangelo said.
For Krzyzewski, however, the focus is basketball. He wants nothing to affect the team. Not politics, not anything. His preference is obvious.
“I don’t think there is a balance right now,” Krzyzewski said. “If you’re a competitor … you have to be single-minded in what you’re doing. It’s not about seeing the city or making political comments, although they can say whatever they want.”
Krzyzewski wasn’t convinced they should even be put in the position.
“Why would you ask them? They are not the experts,” he said.
Because they spoke out about it before. And no one is asking a player who hasn’t previously denounced the situation.
“Well, I’ve talked about the Duke team before,” Krzyzewski said. “I am talking about USA Basketball right now. It’s not about avoiding an issue; it’s about concentrating on one. I would hope people would be respectful of that.”
Colangelo points to the importance of the team to represent the United States with “class and dignity” and isn’t certain that making speeches about major international policy is even the most effective course of action.
“Let me ask you this, what carries more weight?” he said. “One of them making a comment about what’s happening in Tibet or Darfur or two nights ago in Shanghai when our players helped raise $430,000 for the earthquake relief program where 70,000 Chinese died? I think that’s a little bit more important.”
Can’t a player do both?
“Yes. A person may choose to do that,” Colangelo said. “If they chose to do that, I don’t have any issue with that.”

No doubt the Chinese government is waiting to find out if Bryant, James or any other high-profile athlete makes that choice.
The torch hasn’t even been lit and this has already been an Olympics overwhelmed by embarrassing questions about government crackdowns, the curbing of free speech or, most comically, claims by the government and its pawns at the IOC that the thick smog blocking the sun over Beijing is really just innocent “mist.”
The Chinese people have been warm and welcoming, unfailingly polite and positive. Their government has been the opposite, almost incapable of dealing with an outside world they can’t control.
“Revoking my visa is just a small incident in a systematic effort anywhere that China has the authority over a country or an athlete to try to shut people up,” Cheek said.
“Right now, when we are celebrating this whole peaceful event, the reality is the whole world is not together. There is this massive conflict and a massive amount of people suffering, and the host country is in position to do something about it. Not only are they not doing anything about it (but also) they are keeping the people perpetrating these crimes in power or at least keeping their pockets full.
“What’s Olympic about that?”
Nothing, of course. And perhaps no one is in better position to point it out than Kobe or LeBron. If they so choose.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/beijing/basketball/news?slug=dw-darfur080708&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

this article above states and I'm tryin' to get across...

Were not puttin' Kobe and Lebron in a position that they didn't put themselves into. Both spoke on the issue while in the states, but renigged when they got to Beijeng...

The Olympics is a perfect time to bring an issue to the forfront, plus guys like Kobe and Lebron have ALOT of power..Them two have nothing to lose if you ask me...I'm a big NBA fan and I should know that punishing these two specifically would be cuttin' your nose to spite your face...They are argueable the two biggest active NBA players in the world...You really think Nike would drop them...? No excuses and a fine ain't nothing..Lebron sign a $100 million contract his rookie year, I know he can afford a fine by now...

I really recommend you read the article...

Girasuck
08-09-2008, 09:10 PM
I've lost respect for:

Lebron
Dwanye Wade
Daren Williams

It's Deron, not Daren. Get it right dip shit. I've lost respect for you after this idiotic post of yours. Oh wait...just like this post, who gives a shit if I don't have respect for you or if you don't respect the players?

Why don't you go back to your basement and worship that pathetic point guard of yours that can't run any form of organized offensive basketball.

GetNashty
08-09-2008, 09:29 PM

That's what separates him and all these other "big name" athletes from Muhammad Ali. That's why they'll never be recognized for their bravery and will be forgotten in the history books.

The Franchise
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm suprised by the number of people in here who think speaking up to save human lives is somehow the wrong thing to do. I think Ill brought up 9-11 to illustrate how full of shit Americans can be. 3,000 American lives lost: Let's Nuke them. 300,000 lives lost in Darfur: Why should athletes speak out? It's not their place.That attitude shows an embarrassing level of insensitivity. When you put it in those terms we do seem kind of ignorant. Personally I think if you are in the public eye, and you can help save lives by bringing attention to a crisis, why wouldn't you?

Indazone
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM
I know that the USA has gone after China on human rights but China turned around and put a shot across our bow 5 months ago. They lambasted the USA's human rights record. I read this and I gotta say, they gotta point.

"We suggest the U.S. government to stop depicting itself as a human rights watchdog and focus more on its own human rights problems," Qin said.
He said China was willing to have dialogue on human rights with the U.S. and other countries.
The tit-for-tat charges come less than five months before Beijing hosts the Olympic Games, which have already put the spotlight on China's human rights record.
The reports also come as the two countries' economies become increasingly entwined and amid increased political cooperation between the U.S. and China on international problems, including efforts to strip North Korea of its nuclear program.
Beijing's report, gathered from a variety of international news sources, lambastes an increase in violent crime in the U.S., saying it poses a serious threat to the lives, liberty and personal security of the American people.
The report concluded the U.S. human rights records is "best described as tattered and shocking."
It cited an FBI report on crime statistics in the U.S. released last year that showed violent crime had increased by 1.9% from 2005 to 2006, with 1.41 million cases reported nationwide.
The report also cited news articles that said 30,000 people die in the U.S. from gunshot wounds every year and gun killings have climbed 13% since 2002.
It noted the United States has the largest prison system in the world, with the highest inmates-to-population ratio. The report cited police brutality and other instances where law enforcement officials violated civil rights.
China's report also lambasted the U.S. for the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
"The invasion of Iraq by U.S. troops has produced the biggest human rights tragedy and the greatest humanitarian disaster in modern world," the report said.
It also said U.S. troops had killed innocent civilians in the anti-terrorism war in Afghanistan.

We don't try to rehabilitate criminals, we just put em in prison to rot and then the tax payers just have to keep paying money to keep them there. It's interesting to note that the majority of US prison inmates are also young black males.

Ill Cosby
08-10-2008, 08:07 PM
I want to apologize to any of the soft ass posters I've offended and also the guys who actually came at me with an actual argument not a poor attempt at fly by comedy. I used a few strong words, but I meant everything I said....I'm just man enough to admit I worded some things too strongly.

I'm suprised by the number of people in here who think speaking up to save human lives is somehow the wrong thing to do. I think Ill brought up 9-11 to illustrate how full of shit Americans can be. 3,000 American lives lost: Let's Nuke them. 300,000 lives lost in Darfur: Why should athletes speak out? It's not their place.That attitude shows an embarrassing level of insensitivity. When you put it in those terms we do seem kind of ignorant. Personally I think if you are in the public eye, and you can help save lives by bringing attention to a crisis, why wouldn't you?

Thank you

How many non-politicians have spoken out on 9-11?

ThunderStix®
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM

I've lost respect for:

Lebron
Dwanye Wade
Daren Williams

:rolleyes Whatever.

It's disgusting how many Americans now hate their own country.

I hope the USA wins gold just because of people like you and the Americans on this forum rooting for Argentina because of Manu.

Or the self righteous people who want the U.S. to lose because they're afraid LeBron hurt the worlds feelings by garunteeing they would win the gold.

I could care less what the world thinks about us. They will hate this country no matter what we do.

The USA will always be number one in the world* :king *As long as they stand with Israel.

BTW, it's Deron Williams, not Daren Williams. :p: :lol

RonMexico
08-11-2008, 10:12 AM
I want to apologize to any of the soft ass posters I've offended and also the guys who actually came at me with an actual argument not a poor attempt at fly by comedy. I used a few strong words, but I meant everything I said....I'm just man enough to admit I worded some things too strongly.

Thank you

How many non-politicians have spoken out on 9-11?

Not as many as you would think. Most people in Hollywood have purported the rumor that the United States government executed 9-11 and yet, the vast majority of them have spoken out on the ills in Darfur. Everyone in America knows about the situation in Darfur and George Clooney has made it is his personal crusade to correct the human rights violations there. The only athlete who really spoke out was Pat Tillman and he backed up his words with his life.

Just because we don't think the Olympics are the proper forum for athletes to discuss China's human rights violations doesn't mean we're on some kind of "USA!" high horse. I mean, you and the Franchise will be the first ones to say that we as a country don't have the right to speak out because of all our prior wrongdoings. We definitely wouldn't want to be hypocritical here...

I'm just simply saying it's a weak argument to say you lost respect for all these athletes, especially when you don't include your boy CP3 on the list. If you did, then we could probably take you more seriously. And my team's PG has spoken out a lot on the war the human rights violations in other countries. He's also backed up his word with his wallet.