PDA

View Full Version : loCking My Script

jacQue21
08-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Well I just want to share about my expericed of being a filmmaking student, during our thesis 101 in IAFT (http://www.filmschool.ph) I’m still waiting for feedback regarding my script. It has to be ten pages long and I’ve written seven so far. I’ve gotten past the inciting incident, past the progressive complications, past the mid-point, but I still have to write a good climax and a reveal. I’m kind of worried that it’s sparse and maybe a little too predictable, but let’s wait for what the mentors have to say. I must lock it soon because this term is going to fly by so fast that there’s a chance this film might end up half baked. And this is the thesis! This is the single culmination of all things learned this year. It has to be great. It has to pop. It has to make a mark.
I think the biggest issue is really the story. I’m not so worried about the technical aspects of the film. I know I can count on good people to achieve the look I’m gunning for. But no amount of eye candy can fill the gaping hole left by a hanging script. Mistakes can be overlooked; but, if a character doesn’t evoke empathy, then it’s all for naught. If dialogue is cliché, no amount of amazing PD or even the master touch of a great DP can save the scene. It makes me respect writers all the more. Just imagine what a solitary task they must perform. Imagine being stuck in front of a blank page with nothing but your own ideas and instincts to guide you. In a way a film is book ended by solitary pursuits. The writer writes alone and the editor edits alone, for the most part. In between them there is this insane, mass movement and communication between hoards of people that depend on each other for survival. Yes, filmmaking is collaborative but writing and editing is singular. I think it’s an interesting image. To top it off, those very bookends make or break the whole film. A bad script can never be saved by a great production and bad editing can ruin a great film.
This takes me back to the problem at hand. How do I finish this story? Procrastination is a sin and I think changing the story at this point is just too risky. I must stick to my guns and just go with it. Wish me luck. Pray for me if you can because I’m going to need all the grace for this one. I hope all is well with you and that everyday you’re able to see even just one aspect of

Brutalis
08-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Get laid or something dude.

johnsmith
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
You said climax

Michael Bay
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Well I just want to share about my expericed of being a filmmaking student, during our thesis 101 in IAFT (http://www.filmschool.ph) I’m still waiting for feedback regarding my script. It has to be ten pages long and I’ve written seven so far. I’ve gotten past the inciting incident, past the progressive complications, past the mid-point, but I still have to write a good climax and a reveal. I’m kind of worried that it’s sparse and maybe a little too predictable, but let’s wait for what the mentors have to say. I must lock it soon because this term is going to fly by so fast that there’s a chance this film might end up half baked. And this is the thesis! This is the single culmination of all things learned this year. It has to be great. It has to pop. It has to make a mark.
I think the biggest issue is really the story. I’m not so worried about the technical aspects of the film. I know I can count on good people to achieve the look I’m gunning for. But no amount of eye candy can fill the gaping hole left by a hanging script. Mistakes can be overlooked; but, if a character doesn’t evoke empathy, then it’s all for naught. If dialogue is cliché, no amount of amazing PD or even the master touch of a great DP can save the scene. It makes me respect writers all the more. Just imagine what a solitary task they must perform. Imagine being stuck in front of a blank page with nothing but your own ideas and instincts to guide you. In a way a film is book ended by solitary pursuits. The writer writes alone and the editor edits alone, for the most part. In between them there is this insane, mass movement and communication between hoards of people that depend on each other for survival. Yes, filmmaking is collaborative but writing and editing is singular. I think it’s an interesting image. To top it off, those very bookends make or break the whole film. A bad script can never be saved by a great production and bad editing can ruin a great film.
This takes me back to the problem at hand. How do I finish this story? Procrastination is a sin and I think changing the story at this point is just too risky. I must stick to my guns and just go with it. Wish me luck. Pray for me if you can because I’m going to need all the grace for this one. I hope all is well with you and that everyday you’re able to see even just one aspect of

Don't worry about any of that. Just follow my motto - "If you blow up enough shit on screen, people won't pay attention to the story". Works like gangbusters!

slayermin
08-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Don't worry about any of that. Just follow my motto - "If you blow up enough shit on screen, people won't pay attention to the story". Works like gangbusters!

:lol

Michael has great advice.

balli
08-07-2008, 01:38 AM
vl0bJ2Tq28I