PDA

View Full Version : Options for this years Draft Picks?

FlAVaK
08-07-2008, 06:28 AM
I got some questions in general:

What possibilities do Hill, Gist and Hairston have?
Considering money, playing time, future...

The Spurs currently got 12 under contract. They usually don`t carry a loaded Roster of 15 players through a season. Also there is talk about free agents (Finley, Pargo...) to be signed. So it looks like that not all of them 3 could find a place on the roster for next season, maybe none.

Thats why i wanted to break down the possibilities for those guys:
I assume they all want some money and a future in the NBA...

1. Sign with the Spurs. Ride the Bench or be assigned to the Toros. Salary would be like 800-1000k for Hill and 400-500k (non guaranteed) for Gist and Hairston, right?!

2. Sign directly with the Toros. Get good minutes but mediocre competition. What are typical D-League salaries. Are the guaranteed?

3. Sign in Europe. Get minutes, good competition and a guaranteed salary! I donīt want to talk about numbers these days, but it could be more than the typical NBA Rookie-Salary...

Another Uncertainty I have: How long do the Spurs keep their rights? In which case do they lose the rights to a player?

What do you think are the best options for Hill, Gist and Hairston?

PS: Gist may have signed in Italy already...

manufor3
08-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Gist=Gone
Hill=Practically a lock for the roster
Hairston=Probably will sign with the toros

midgetonadonkey
08-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Great thread. You have such insightful ideas.

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Gist is gone for now, but i think that was the plan all along... he will be brought back over probably next season.

wisnub
08-09-2008, 02:15 AM
Gist is gone for now, but i think that was the plan all along... he will be brought back over probably next season.

I dont think he will play after one season...I see Splitter Dejavu already. Im still hurt that we said Scola's contract was too much and no room for him considering gay splitter will join us after x years; and Houston match Scola's contract just like that..just like it was nothing. Sad thing is Scola playing great..but well forget him. I dont think Gist will sign in Italy just for one year and if he got multiple years contract Spurs will unwilling to buy it as usual. I dont think FO let Gist develop overseas, that would be stupid. We need help and worst case scenario he's better off train himself in Dleague just like Ian. If that is the plan all along...then congratulations, Spurs just lost another player

Spurs da champs
08-09-2008, 02:16 AM
Gist=Gone
Hill=Practically a lock for the roster
Hairston=Probably will sign with the toros

If he is why do the spurs want to sign Pargo?....:nope

FlAVaK
08-09-2008, 03:04 AM
Great thread. You have such insightful ideas.
I didn`t make up this thread for ideas but to understand the decision making of Rookies!

Why do they choose Europe over the D-Leaugue? What happens to their rights? What are typical D-Leaugue salaries?

I just wanted some information, thought I could get it here on ST, maybe I was wrong...

Bruno
08-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Sign directly with the Toros. Get good minutes but mediocre competition. What are typical D-League salaries. Are the guaranteed?

A drafted players can't signed directly with a D-League team.
Salaries in D-League are low ($25K) and aren't guaranteed.

Sign in Europe. Get minutes, good competition and a guaranteed salary! I donīt want to talk about numbers these days, but it could be more than the typical NBA Rookie-Salary...

Salaries in Europe for players like Gist or Hairston aren't higher that the rookie salary. IMO, Gist salary in Italy should be around $300K.

Another Uncertainty I have: How long do the Spurs keep their rights? In which case do they lose the rights to a player?

Spurs keep their right unless they renounce to them or they spend one year without playing.

What do you think are the best options for Hill, Gist and Hairston?

Hill best option is to sign with Spurs because his contract is guaranteed.
If Gist and Hairston aren't in this year Spurs' plan, they don't really have a best option.
Signing in Europe or signing a non guaranteed contract in NBA with a huge chance to be cut, are two different options. I cna't say one is better than the other. It depends on the player priorities.

FlAVaK
08-09-2008, 07:02 AM
Thanks Bruno!

This D-League Number of 25K is it per year, month or season?

Bruno
08-09-2008, 07:39 AM

It's per year and it's the max salary. Some players are even paid less.

SPURSGOAT
08-09-2008, 10:48 AM
OUCH! Only 25K!? Damn that would be tough depending on where you lived.

lotr1trekkie
08-09-2008, 11:22 AM
What is the minimum salary to sign Gist and send him to the Toros for training? Playing in Milan will be culturally uplifting for Gist but how much will he improve? This isn't Tau or Maccabbi! Pursuing Pargo tells me that Hill will be the PG in Austin for much of the year.

DROB4EVER
08-09-2008, 11:27 AM
To keep their rights spurs would have to sign them, I think what the spurs are doing is getting all these young guys this year and with the 3 second rounders next year who will likely all be asked to play over seas for a year so we can keep cap free for 2010.

In 2010 they will look to sign a max guy and one other top tier player who will join duncan parker ian and hill as well as hopefully splitter. That way we would have a really nice starting 5 and a good 6th man.

Then I think the plan is to sign bring back several of those second rounders who have been playing over seas to be our bench. Not a bad plan, but if the guys are getting paid well over there and are stars, why would they come back to make less and ride the bench?

DROB4EVER
08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks Bruno!

season