PDA

View Full Version : Ungrateful much? Don't be.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Spurs Season Records Since 98-99 season:
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/305/picture4bt0.png

NBA Finals Records?
http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/1588/picture5mf6.png

There are three teams with more championships than the Spurs - Lakers, Celtics, and the Bulls.

The Spurs are one of five teams that have never lost in the NBA Finals.

There are eight teams with only ONE NBA championship.

There are nine teams that have made a Finals appearance, and left losers. Cough* Phoenix, Dallas cough*

There are seven teams that have NEVER visited the NBA Finals.

The San Antonio Spurs have the highest winning percentage of the four major sports in the last ten years.

I didn't think I would have to add this one, but there are a lot of ungrateful fans in here, so I just thought I would remind you: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1042/1196418571_1306dc5d05.jpg?v=0

Us Spurs fans have NO room to be ungrateful, yet a lot of us act like senseless, spoiled brats.
Quit the stupid 'off-the-cliff' rants about how we're going to suck this year, and your loss of faith in the Spurs Front Office.
I just showed to you how the FO has given the Spurs an opportunity to win it each and every year since 98-99.
What more do you want?
You win some, you lose some.
That is how it works in sports.

TheProfessor
08-07-2008, 06:22 PM
:tu

to21
08-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Most of these fans weren't around Pre-Duncan.

They don't know no good...........

benefactor
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Ive thought about this before. I was griping to my cousin about losing in the playoffs to the Lakers and his response was..."Hey man, you got 4 titles." He is so right. Its irritating to see our team not make the moves that we want them to make but we have had it pretty damn good over the past 10 years........10 YEARS.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:27 PM

that's what makes it worse: they ONLY know the Duncan era, and still, they complain.

Solid D
08-07-2008, 06:30 PM
I'm grateful much! James Gist! Coming Christmas 2009 (or 2010)!

http://www.fidnet.com/~dap1955/dickens/images/carol_cover_color2.jpg

Merry Christmas Tim!

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm grateful much! James Gist! Coming Christmas 2009 (or 2010)!

http://www.fidnet.com/~dap1955/dickens/images/carol_cover_color2.jpg

Merry Christmas Tim!

lol

Obstructed_View
08-07-2008, 06:34 PM
That's fucking stupid. Every fan of their team wants them to win, whether or not they've had past success. Only a retard says "oh well everyone shouldn't try as hard this year because they won a couple of years ago". I wouldn't root for a team that I thought wasn't trying as hard as they could to win every year.

Gratitude has nothing to do with it.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:36 PM
That's fucking stupid. Every fan of their team wants them to win, whether or not they've had past success. Only a retard says "oh well everyone shouldn't try as hard this year because they won a couple of years ago".

im sorry; i really do have crappy memory - refresh it, please, and show me where i suggested that the Spurs don't try as hard because they've been at the top every year.

Obstructed_View
08-07-2008, 06:42 PM
im sorry; i really do have crappy memory - refresh it, please, and show me where i suggested that the Spurs don't try as hard because they've been at the top every year.

So you didn't suggest that the fans shouldn't criticize the organization simply because of what said organization has done in the past? If people think the front office is doing things that jeopardize the team's chances of winning, they are going to point it out. Again, gratitude has nothing to do with it, and your point is retarded. If the Spurs win four titles, and there are reasons people think they could have won five, then the points are valid.

A ranting post telling fellow sports fans not to rant on a message board was a nice touch, though. I'm sure the Spurs' front office is grateful that they have you out there policing the internets for them. :lol

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:46 PM
So you didn't suggest that the fans shouldn't criticize the organization simply because of what said organization has done in the past? If people think the front office is doing things that jeopardize the team's chances of winning, they are going to point it out. Again, gratitude has nothing to do with it, and your point is retarded. If the Spurs win four titles, and there are reasons people think they could have won five, then the points are valid.

A ranting post telling fellow sports fans not to rant on a message board was a nice touch, though. I'm sure the Spurs' front office is grateful that they have you out there policing the internets for them. :lol

im not trying to police anything; your sarcasm exemplifies your maturity.

im not suggesting the FO is perfect; i recognize that they have made mistakes.
im just saying that a lot of spurs fans are acting extremely immaturely and are so spoiled by the fact that we have done so well over the last ten years; seriously. you expect them to be perfect every year, and i don't think the FO wants anything less than a championships.

Obstructed_View
08-07-2008, 06:50 PM
im suggesting the FO is perfect.

See "Freudian Slip", and thanks for playing.

:lmao at someone who calls people "faggots" judging my maturity.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 06:53 PM
See "Freudian Slip", and thanks for playing.

:lmao at someone who calls people "faggots" judging my maturity.

you get my point.
stop dodging the subject.
expect the spurs FO to be perfect each and every year; you're the one that'll be let down when they don't win it all.

i WANT them to win it each and every year, but im not going to bitch and whine about the FO each off season if they don't win.

ivanfromwestwood
08-07-2008, 06:54 PM
and thats only the Duncan era. look what the spurs have done in years before. we only missed the playoffs in 84, 87 and 97. if we made the playoffs in 87 then we wouldnt have drafted David. if we made the playoffs in 97 ,no Duncan. i dont know what happened in 84. we had a killer team. that being said, we spurs fans are spoiled because winning is all we have ever known.28 trips to the playoffs in 31 years speaks for itself.

Playoff Appearances: 28
Overall Playoff Record: 153-121
NBA Championships: 4 (1999, 2003, 2005, 2007)

2008 -- defeated Phoenix, 4-1, first round
defeated New Orleans, 4-3, conference semifinals
lost to LA Lakers, 4-1, conference finals

2007 -- defeated Denver, 4-1, first round
defeated Phoenix, 4-2, conference semifinals
defeated Utah, 4-1, conference finals
defeated Cleveland, 4-0, NBA Finals
WON NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

2006 -- defeated Sacramento, 4-2, first round
lost to Dallas, 4-3, conference semifinals

2005 -- defeated Denver, 4-1, first round
defeated Seattle, 4-2, conference semifinals
defeated Phoenix, 4-1, conference finals
defeated Detroit, 4-3, NBA Finals
WON NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

2004 -- defeated Memphis, 4-0, first round
lost to LA Lakers, 4-2, conference semifinals

2003 -- defeated Phoenix, 4-2, first round
defeated LA Lakers, 4-2, conference semifinals
defeated Dallas, 4-2, conference finals
defeated New Jersey, 4-2, NBA Finals
WON NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

2002 -- defeated Seattle, 3-2, first round
lost to LA Lakers, 4-1, conference semifinals

2001 -- defeated Minnesota, 3-1, first round
defeated Dallas, 4-1, conference semifinals
lost to LA Lakers, 4-0, conference finals

2000 -- lost to Phoenix, 3-1, first round

1999 -- defeated Minnesota, 3-1, first round
defeated L.A. Lakers, 4-0, conference semifinals
defeated Portland, 4-0, conference semifinals
defeated New York, 4-1, NBA Finals
WON NBA CHAMPIONSHIP

1998 -- defeated Phoenix, 3-1, first round
lost to Utah, 4-1, conference semifinals

1996 -- defeated Phoenix, 3-1, first round
lost to Utah, 4-2, conference semifinals

1995 -- defeated Denver, 3-0, first round
defeated LA Lakers, 4-2, conference semifinals
lost to Houston, 4-2, conference finals

1994 -- lost to Utah, 3-1, first round

1993 -- defeated Portland, 3-1, first round
lost to Phoenix, 4-2, conference semifinals

1992 -- lost to Phoenix, 3-0, first round

1991 -- lost to Golden State, 3-1, first round

1990 -- defeated Denver, 3-0, first round
lost to Portland, 4-3, conference semifinals

1988 -- lost to LA Lakers, 3-0, first round

1986 -- lost to LA Lakers, 3-0, first round

1985 -- lost to Denver, 3-2, first round

1983 -- defeated Denver, 4-1, conference semifinals
lost to LA Lakers, 4-2, conference finals

1982 -- defeated Seattle, 4-1, conference semifinals
lost to LA Lakers, 4-0, conference finals

1981 -- lost to Houston, 4-3, conference semifinals

1980 -- lost to Houston, 2-1, first round

1979 -- defeated Philadelphia, 4-3, conference semifinals
lost to Washington, 4-3, conference finals

1978 -- lost to Washington, 4-2, conference semifinals

1977 -- lost to Boston, 2-0, first round

Solid D
08-07-2008, 06:55 PM
It's actually humorous to go back and look at some of the Summer threads, particularly so prior to championship years.

Brutalis
08-07-2008, 06:57 PM

Had a few playoff headaches before TD. :sleep

Fabbs
08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
That's fucking stupid. Every fan of their team wants them to win, whether or not they've had past success. Only a retard says "oh well everyone shouldn't try as hard this year because they won a couple of years ago". I wouldn't root for a team that I thought wasn't trying as hard as they could to win every year.

Thank you.
Also:
"To those with much that was given, much will be expected."

Duncan in the lotto balls, Manu at #57 etc. This has been one of if the not most rockin roster for the past 10 years. 2000 is obviously an asterik year with Dunkar being injured, 2001 the DA playoff injury was a legit set back. The rest is poppycock excuses.

FromWayDowntown
08-07-2008, 07:11 PM
I've never really considered faggots to be spoiled -- honestly, the widespread ridicule that comes with that condition hardly seems like spoiling at all.

Oh, and the Spurs have been really, really good for a very long time. It's good to be a Spurs fan, even when they don't get all the way to the top of the mountain.

cool hand
08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
this year is going to suck. everything I thought the FO was doing to save money in the past was true. we won the titles inspite of the frugalness.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 07:19 PM
The team has always been good (with the exception of a few off years). They did not win titles until recently, but to act like the Spurs were just shit before Duncan and Robinson is just not true. They have gone through a couple ups and downs, but have always been a "winning" team for the most part.

The F.O. has done their job; they brought in Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Could they do more, yes. Have they allowed for us to contend over the past 10 years, yes and the Spurs will still contend until Duncan retires.

td4mvp21
08-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I'll be ungrateful about our shitty offseason if I fucking want to. If my team isn't winning, or it looks like they won't be winning, I'll bitch about it because I'm a fan that wants to see his team win. I didn't sign a fucking contract when I chose to cheer for the Spurs.

Tully365
08-07-2008, 07:32 PM
It is funny to see Portland, Houston, Dallas, and Phoenix trolls on spurstalk trying to talk trash. Even last year, which fans here consider a "bad year" (making the conference finals!), the Spurs had more success than any of those teams. San Antonio fans are no doubt spoiled-- most of them feel completely justified in trashing the FO for the unpardonable sin of not winning the championship every single year. All the Spurs have done in the last ten years is win more often than every single baseball, football, hockey, and basketball team in the entire country.

"Ho-hum. What have you done for me lately?" That's how a lot of fans sound around here.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 07:43 PM
People are free to whine, piss and moan all they want. They can analyze the F.O. moves and say what they would have done. What I do not get is how they can complain about "not winning" when the Spurs will still be in contention. I also do not understand how you can complain if the F.O. is not done making moves yet. If they went into the year with only 12 players and this was it, I could agree with judgment. It is not over yet. What if these moves lead to a trade for someone who really helps? What if it leads to bad signings? You do not know, you can speculate. Outside of trading Duncan, Parker or Ginobili, the F.O. can not really mess up unless they sign and play terrible players that take away from what DPG all do. If they handcuff themselves for the future, that can be bad as well. As of yet though, they have done neither.

G-Nob
08-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Thanks for reminding us, David.

I guess we should be ashamed of ourselves for having such high expectations for our basketball team.

And I'm not ungrateful for our four championships. I'm saying its not good enough and I would say the same even if I were a Celtics fan.

From my perspective, I have 30 years vested interest in my basketball club. That means I can praise or gripe and bitch all I want to. I don't need some candy ass who's only been watching the Spurs since Duncan came to town to tell me I shouldn't.

Tully365
08-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Just imagine when fans of the Clippers, the Bucks, the Hawks, the Knicks, (or any team in the NBA for that matter) visit this site and read Spurs' fans saying things like "our FO fuckin' sucks" or "Pop needs to go"... I'm sure they think it's hilarious. It's kind of like Latrell Sprewell turning down a 3 year/21 mil offer cuz he's got a family to feed... I know people like to vent, but it doesn't hurt to have a little bit of reasonable perspective. It's one thing to disagree with certain moves made by the FO-- it's an entirely different thing to say that they are incompetent. That just makes no sense.

Kori Ellis
08-07-2008, 08:26 PM
I agree that some fans are very spoiled and don't get how hard it is to win a title. But the "faggots" comment wasn't necessary and should be taken out.

Thanks.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Just imagine when fans of the Clippers, the Bucks, the Hawks, the Knicks, (or any team in the NBA for that matter) visit this site and read Spurs' fans saying things like "our FO fuckin' sucks" or "Pop needs to go"... I'm sure they think it's hilarious. It's kind of like Latrell Sprewell turning down a 3 year/21 mil offer cuz he's got a family to feed... I know people like to vent, but it doesn't hurt to have a little bit of reasonable perspective. It's one thing to disagree with certain moves made by the FO-- it's an entirely different thing to say that they are incompetent. That just makes no sense.

+1

Admiral
08-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for starting this thread. We really have chosen a great team to follow. I have been a Spurs fan since 1990, and have often thought about how incredibly good we've been since that time. Over the last 18 years:

-We have been a playoff team all but one of those seasons (and that one year was crazy in terms of injuries)
-We have been NBA Champions 4 times
-We have had one of the best winning percentages of any pro sports team (I bet we're #1, but am not sure)
-We have seen two of the best big men to ever play the game
-We have had multiple hall-of-famers
-We have many great plays/moments to reflect on

Seriously guys, we have had it so good. And I'm not convinced that it's over. I have faith in the front office to continue to make good decisions. Their track record has earned them the benefit of the doubt!

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 08:35 PM
I agree that some fans are very spoiled and don't get how hard it is to win a title. But the "faggots" comment wasn't necessary and should be taken out.

Thanks.

ok, kori.
you are always right. (no sarcasm at all)

you're the unbiased, rational voice in this community, along with timvp, and a few others.

the 'faggots' comment WAS unnecessary; but i am sick and tired of rants by spoiled people about the FO sucking, and getting rid of pop and crap.

and i do realize there will always be fans who don't understand, so ill just give up.

sorry, kori.

Tully365
08-07-2008, 08:40 PM

Thanks.

I agree. People are out of line with that stuff. If we are going to have at least reasonably civilized debates here and agree that it's inappropriate to use racial insults, religious name-calling, etc., then I think there should be rules regarding this too.

underdawg
08-07-2008, 08:42 PM

I think he meant there's been a lot of negative sentiment that has no basis at all. It's one thing to have a constructive criticism of the team you root for, but it's pathetic to throw in the towel before a single regular season game has been played. If that's how you live your life, so be it but I root for a gutsy team and I'd hope in general the Spurs have gutsy fans as well. I really can't remember a single season where I've felt like we stacked up better than the rest of the teams. There's always going to be holes, but that's why the Spurs have had so much success - they have players that have stepped up and filled the holes.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 08:50 PM
I think he meant there's been a lot of negative sentiment that has no basis at all. It's one thing to have a constructive criticism of the team you root for, but it's pathetic to throw in the towel before a single regular season game has been played.

yeah, that's pretty much what i meant.

along with a few other things..

slayermin
08-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Call me spoiled. But I want number five badly and hope, hope, number six with a repeat.

Just when I think I have the Spurs figured out, they usually surprise me. I am praying that some of our young guys step it up and takes us into the upper echelon of dynasties.

tlongII
08-07-2008, 09:11 PM
I don't think any team's fans should just sit back and buy whatever the FO is trying to sell them. Regardless of how much success you've had in the past. The Spurs' FO has been ineffective for a number of years now imo.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 09:24 PM
I don't think any team's fans should just sit back and buy whatever the FO is trying to sell them. Regardless of how much success you've had in the past. The Spurs' FO has been ineffective for a number of years now imo.

how much more successful can you get than this?

TDRiIV3IicA

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM

How can an ineffective FO deliver a championship 1 year removed and be ineffective for a number of years? You could maybe say, maybe, for a year, but that is it.

Tully365
08-07-2008, 09:27 PM

Ineffective for a number of years? They won the NBA championship the year before last!

One of their best under-the-radar moves was signing Udoka. Even Brandon Roy said the Blazers missed his toughness on defense last year. I bet Udoka plays 25 minutes a game next year, while Bowen logs fewer minutes. Smart signing by the FO!

tlongII
08-07-2008, 09:45 PM
How can an ineffective FO deliver a championship 1 year removed and be ineffective for a number of years? You could maybe say, maybe, for a year, but that is it.

Because they have Tim Duncan, Ginobili, and Parker. Duh.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 09:54 PM

and tim duncan, ginobili, and parker couldn't win a championship all alone.

they need the FO to surround them with quality role players.

Spurtacus
08-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Personally, I am grateful of our past accomplishments. That doesn't mean I should be grateful for what the Spurs FO is doing this offseason. We need some changes and I don't feel like our needs were addressed enough to help us win another championship.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 10:09 PM

Did the front office not draft all of those players?

wijayas
08-07-2008, 10:26 PM
you get my point. stop dodging the subject.
expect the spurs FO to be perfect each and every year; you're the one that'll be let down when they don't win it all.

i WANT them to win it each and every year, but im not going to bitch and whine about the FO each off season if they don't win.

:toast :toast :toast

weebo
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM
the front office sure has been sucking a lot this offseason

wijayas
08-07-2008, 10:30 PM

How do you judge effectiveness?

If effectiveness = signing Kobe, LeBron, Dwayne, one after another, then the Spurs FO really sucks! :bang :bang :bang

If effectiveness = bringing a group of professional ballers that know their roles to achieve the greater good of the team, then count the rings!

manufor3
08-07-2008, 10:32 PM

+1

wijayas
08-07-2008, 10:34 PM
I think he meant there's been a lot of negative sentiment that has no basis at all. It's one thing to have a constructive criticism of the team you root for, but it's pathetic to throw in the towel before a single regular season game has been played. If that's how you live your life, so be it but I root for a gutsy team and I'd hope in general the Spurs have gutsy fans as well. I really can't remember a single season where I've felt like we stacked up better than the rest of the teams. There's always going to be holes, but that's why the Spurs have had so much success - they have players that have stepped up and filled the holes.

Couldn't have said it better myself... :toast

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
How do you judge effectiveness?

If effectiveness = signing Kobe, LeBron, Dwayne, one after another, then the Spurs FO really sucks! :bang :bang :bang

If effectiveness = bringing a group of professional ballers that know their roles to achieve the greater good of the team, then count the rings!

the thing is, people expect them to win it each and every year, and complain when they don't.

there can only be ONE nba champion, and the spurs have been really blessed to have been it four times already.

let me reiterate - i want the spurs to win so bad, but i understand that they can't every time.

and it frustrates me when people complain about the FO when obviously, the FO has been doing its job - which is giving the team as a whole an opportunity to be be at the top.

its not the FO's fault ginobili played like crap, or we didn't score enough.
obviously we scored enough if we got to the western conference; we just met a better opponent.

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Spurs fans are spoiled. No doubt.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 10:55 PM

if mr marcus bryant agrees with me, then i know im right.
:toast :lol

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Or maybe I'm drunk.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Or maybe I'm drunk.

no.
just agree with me, and we'll stop there.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM
Marcus is reminding me of that old burned out guy at the office who secretly hates his job and then one day just walks in and tells everyone: f*ck you

hater
08-07-2008, 11:03 PM

I think this is not true anymore.

When you get gasol for kwame, and keep Kobe, you are spoiled.

when you get KG, Pierce, Ray Allen in the same team, and still have good draft picks... that's spoiled

when you get an up and coming future HOF like CP3, and develop a superstar on the same season its spoiled.

When your team's plane breaks down 2 days before teh WCF and your 2nd best player is fighting a bad ankle. that's... not spoiled

I think the spoiled train has left San Antonio a looooong time ago

tlongII
08-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Did the front office not draft all of those players?

Yes they did. Several years ago.

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 11:11 PM

and they are reaping the success now, of several years ago; they continue to surround the big three now with role players that help them get to the top.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 11:12 PM

So you are saying the only reason the Spurs are successful now is because they have guys that the front office drafted years ago?

honestfool84
08-07-2008, 11:15 PM
So you are saying the only reason the Spurs are successful now is because they have guys that the front office drafted years ago?

he's suggesting that with the big three, the spurs can be so great; as if the FO doesn't need to surround them with quality role players.

DPG21920
08-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I know, I was making a point. The front office did their job and continue to do so which is why the Spurs have not only won championships recently, but they are still in contention.

Marcus Garvey
08-07-2008, 11:30 PM
I think this is not true anymore.

When you get gasol for kwame, and keep Kobe, you are spoiled.

when you get KG, Pierce, Ray Allen in the same team, and still have good draft picks... that's spoiled

when you get an up and coming future HOF like CP3, and develop a superstar on the same season its spoiled.

When your team's plane breaks down 2 days before teh WCF and your 2nd best player is fighting a bad ankle. that's... not spoiled

I think the spoiled train has left San Antonio a looooong time ago

When you cry like a little bitch because your favorite NBA team only has 4 titles in the last 9 years or whatever, you're spoiled.

honestfool84
08-08-2008, 12:00 AM
When you cry like a little bitch because your favorite NBA team only has 4 titles in the last 9 years or whatever, you're spoiled.

amen.

Tully365
08-08-2008, 12:43 AM

The last four years their record has been four playoffs, two titles, one loss in the conference finals, another loss to the eventual conference champs. They've won 50% of the last four years' titles. They've won over 50 games every year practically forever. No team in the entire NBA can claim anything close to the success of the Spurs in the last two, three, or four years. If that's your idea of ineffective... what's your definition of effective? Missing out on the playoffs many years in a row in order to stockpile draft picks? Portland has tons of potential, but only after many years of being a complete non-threat and non-factor in the western conference, and many years of not being in the playoffs. You really should just make the playoffs once before trashtalking. Just once.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2008, 01:40 AM

When you, in no particular order, reach for a first round player while letting others slip by, let Scola go to keep Bonner but then you don't play Bonner at all, pay a million dollars to get rid of a backup point guard who turned out to have some value after all, and then lose the high draft pick you counted on to be here this year, only to allow the best of your three draft picks to go overseas while you signed someone else on his SL team, you've got to admit that isn't likely to inspire confidence. Throw less than stellar performances from the other two draft picks, letting Barry go and keeping Finley into the mix, and some people are going to lose their minds. You could set your watch to it. Just because people are overreacting to certain things doesn't mean there isn't some legitimate argument to be made that many of these moves look questionable at best, and highly incompetent at times.

Folks that don't know what it's like around here in August either haven't been here before or should just stay away until October. :lol

JamStone
08-08-2008, 01:56 AM
It's fun to stats-masturbate sometimes.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2008, 02:00 AM

:lol
I'll be saving that one to drop on the unsuspecting some day. I'll make sure to give you credit for it.

DPG21920
08-08-2008, 02:00 AM
Finley in the mix, ahhhhhhhh. I think Barry left more than the Spurs let him go.

Blackjack
08-08-2008, 02:09 AM

Nothing like some good old stats-sturbation. :tu

Obstructed_View
08-08-2008, 02:23 AM
Finley in the mix, ahhhhhhhh. I think Barry left more than the Spurs let him go.

It's possible, but not more likely. Logic suggests that something could have happened between Barry and the Spurs since he came back to the team after sitting out for a month, or else he would have just gone to Houston after he cleared waivers. Regardless, that hardly unravels the case to be made that the FO's done some things that are difficult to explain.

DPG21920
08-08-2008, 02:33 AM
It's possible, but not more likely. Logic suggests that something could have happened between Barry and the Spurs since he came back to the team after sitting out for a month, or else he would have just gone to Houston after he cleared waivers. Regardless, that hardly unravels the case to be made that the FO's done some things that are difficult to explain.

I think the reason Barry did not go to the Rockets was because he had been injured and not played. It would be hard to come back and jump on a new team, learn their system and play in the playoffs when he himself had not played. Not to mention, Yao got hurt and he probably thought that the Spurs would do much better in the playoffs. They did.

The only thing I agree about is that the strategy this year the front office is pursuing is cloudy. It is unclear what direction they are heading. I am not ready to say the moves are bad yet because we do not know why they are doing them and what they will lead to. It is a series of events, not individual events.

JamStone
08-08-2008, 02:45 AM
Nothing like some good old stats-sturbation. :tu

Might be better than stats-masturbation... hmmmmm.

Or when pulling the championship card, champsturbation?

Or homer fans being homer, fansturbation? Might like that one.

edit: Fansturbation could be very useful so long as tlong continues to make threads.

mrspurs
08-08-2008, 07:19 AM
I'll be ungrateful about our shitty offseason if I fucking want to. If my team isn't winning, or it looks like they won't be winning, I'll bitch about it because I'm a fan that wants to see his team win. I didn't sign a fucking contract when I chose to cheer for the Spurs.

you tell us or(how do they say it these days?:lol......you go boy)

mrspurs
08-08-2008, 07:25 AM
Thanks for starting this thread. We really have chosen a great team to follow. I have been a Spurs fan since 1990, and have often thought about how incredibly good we've been since that time. Over the last 18 years:

-We have been a playoff team all but one of those seasons (and that one year was crazy in terms of injuries)
-We have been NBA Champions 4 times
-We have had one of the best winning percentages of any pro sports team (I bet we're #1, but am not sure)
-We have seen two of the best big men to ever play the game
-We have had multiple hall-of-famers
-We have many great plays/moments to reflect on

Seriously guys, we have had it so good. And I'm not convinced that it's over. I have faith in the front office to continue to make good decisions. Their track record has earned them the benefit of the doubt!

shoulda been around during the iceman days, those also were a blast, boy ill tell ya if they only had the internet back in them days, they would have heard most of us saying we dont want the A-train

mrspurs
08-08-2008, 07:36 AM

heard that......i for one personally flipped for joy when bob bass left SA, i swear we have been nothing but better(in the FO area) since he and red mcombs expired....red n bass were like them fools in golden state(bring in the names to fill in the seats) i never once had the feeling the spurs were trying to grab a trophy since we lost to the bullets(unseld,hayes, and a couple of nba refs put a stop to that) the days when vinny was our saviour, and we lost hair just watching him bringing up the ball(much like todays draft pick hilll btw):wow

1Parker1
08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
When did Phoenix make the Finals???

rj215
08-08-2008, 08:21 AM
When did Phoenix make the Finals???

1993 with Barkley, KJ and Dan Majerle

Cool team that was fun to watch. Then Jordan demolished them in the Finals.

rj215
08-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Spurs fans are spoiled and I have my moments. But let's not lose sight of the fact that fans of the Cavs, Raptors, Nuggets etc would trade places with us in a heartbeat.

Sure the FO has made some questionable moves this offseason but they're the ones that have kept us in contention for over a decade. Cut them some slack.

:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

exstatic
08-08-2008, 11:39 AM

I think the relationship has been strained for a while, and that Brent came back to finish the year with (and for) his teammates. He left awful quick for someone who wasn't planning to do so. I'm not sure he ever really got over the almost trade for JR Smith a couple of years ago.

Obstructed_View
08-08-2008, 01:39 PM
I think the relationship has been strained for a while, and that Brent came back to finish the year with (and for) his teammates. He left awful quick for someone who wasn't planning to do so. I'm not sure he ever really got over the almost trade for JR Smith a couple of years ago.

That's possible, but even Brent knows he never lived up to anyone's expectations since "Get me out of here".