PDA

View Full Version : SHOCKING NEWS: Shan Foster to play in Europe

monosylab1k
08-08-2008, 08:41 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/080808dnspomavslede.25b0a6df.html

Dallas Mavericks' fans will have to wait a while to see 2008 second-round draft pick Shan Foster knocking down 3-pointers at American Airlines Center.

Foster, a 6-6 guard from Vanderbilt, has signed a one-year contract with a team in Europe and will play overseas next season, Mavericks president Donnie Nelson said Thursday in an e-mail.

Nelson, who is in China serving as an assistant coach for China's men's Olympic basketball team, didn't specify the team Foster signed with. The Mavericks still retain Foster's NBA rights.

"This gives him valuable playing experience in one of the top leagues in Europe," Nelson said. "He performed well in summer league but ... this gives him a chance to improve. His future is very bright, and we're excited about him rejoining us next summer. This also gives the Mavs roster flexibility, which may prove valuable in the current free-agent market."

Foster and his agent, Bill Duffy, of BDA Sports Management, couldn't be reached for comment.

"We think it's great for Shan if he does," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said via email, "and I think the more NBA-quality players there are in Europe, the better it is for the entire league."

Foster, who will turn 22 this month, averaged 7.5 points in 11 games for the Mavericks' NBA summer league team. He was only 2-for-11 from 3-point range over his final six games.

Vanderbilt's all-time leading scorer, Foster averaged 20.3 points per game last season and was named the Southeastern Conference player of the year. He was a career 42.1-percent 3-point shooter in college. The Mavericks selected Foster with the 51st overall pick.

Mavericks' 2007 second-round draft picks Reyshawn Terry of North Carolina and Ronnie Seibutis of Lithuania also played on teams overseas last year. They both recently completed stints on the Mavs' summer league team. Seibutis has returned to Europe, and Terry is expected to be in Mavs' camp in October.

monosylab1k
08-08-2008, 08:43 AM
:wow

but....but....but I thought Foster was one of the top guys on their draft board? I thought they were targeting him the whole time? I thought they were shocked he lasted into the 2nd round? I thought he was the guy that could hit the long range shots for us this year, which is why they took him?

At least that's the excuses they gave us as for why they couldn't trade up into the first round.

sribb43
08-08-2008, 09:02 AM
"This also gives the Mavs roster flexibility, which may prove valuable in the current free-agent market."

Free-Agent market? Lol....unless the mavs want to sign Darrell Armstrong for the minimum, thats the best they can do at this point

monosylab1k
08-08-2008, 09:04 AM
"This also gives the Mavs roster flexibility, which may prove valuable in the current free-agent market."

Free-Agent market? Lol....unless the mavs want to sign Darrell Armstrong for the minimum, thats the best they can do at this point

He throws teases like that out to make us all think he's behind the scenes actually doing his job.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2008, 09:05 AM
rofl According to amarelooms, he was gonna surprise people in the NBA and be the steal of the draft.

manufor3
08-08-2008, 09:22 AM

go sign earl barron

DaDakota
08-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Window.....CLOSED !

:D

DD

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 11:16 AM
He wasn't that good. The worst SEC Player of the Year in .. forever.

xtremesteven33
08-08-2008, 11:25 AM
SHOCKING NEWS: nobody cares

JamStone
08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
"I can't wait... to play in a Euro league..."

monosylab1k
08-08-2008, 11:48 AM
SHOCKING NEWS: nobody cares

keep those words in mind every time you feel like posting.

mrspurs
08-08-2008, 11:49 AM
i cant wait to see jasons frustrated face......its a joy to see and we will personally get to see it more then we used to.hahaha life is good

xtremesteven33
08-08-2008, 11:56 AM
keep those words in mind every time you feel like posting.

:lol

sendman
08-08-2008, 01:51 PM
"We think it's great for Shan if he does," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said via email, "and I think the more NBA-quality players there are in Europe, the better it is for the entire league."

:lmao:lmao:lmao
Then I suggest you let all top players to go to Europe and NBA will rock!