PDA

View Full Version : Griz sign Hawks' Smith to offer sheet

edgar
08-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Griz sign Hawks' Smith to offer sheet

By Ronald Tillery (Contact), Memphis Commercial Appeal
Originally published 08:51 a.m., August 8, 2008
Updated 08:51 a.m., August 8, 2008

The Memphis Grizzlies have sent a contract offer worth $58 million to Atlanta Hawks restricted free agent Josh Smith today, according to multiple NBA sources.

As the only team left with significant room under the salary cap, the Griz have shifted out of a summer holding pattern and targeted the versatile 6-9, 235-pound forward.

Atlanta has seven days to match, per league rules, once Smith receives the offer sheet.

Smith's numbers have increased in each of his four NBA seasons since Atlanta made him a first-round pick out of high school in 2004. He averaged 17.2 points, 8.2 rebounds and 2.8 blocks last season, helping the Hawks make the playoffs.

The Hawks have said they would match any contract offer to the 22-year-old Smith, but are on the hook next season with big contracts for Mike Bibby and Joe Johnson.

Should the Griz land Smith he is expected to play power forward alongside Rudy Gay at small forward, O.J. Mayo at shooting guard and Mike Conley at point guard.

In another development, the Griz have identified Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi as a person of interest and hope to sign the 7-2, 23-year-old next week. Ehadadi last played for Saba Battery of the Iran Super League. He'll also play for the Iran national team in the Olympics.

Ehadadi recently collected 19 points and 16 rebounds in summer league action at Utah. He amassed 20 points and nine rebounds against Argentina and 20 points, 20 rebounds and six blocks against Serbia in Olympic tune-ups.

manufor3
08-08-2008, 09:27 AM
hawks'll match

Mr.Bottomtooth
Damn, if this goes through, the Grizzlies can be a force in the east.

Mr.Bottomtooth
Oh, and link?

Indazone
08-08-2008, 09:28 AM
Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi

Now that's interesting. If the Grizzlies signed him, would he get boo'd when he is introduced in stadiums around the NBA just for being Iranian or would he be just another foreign player in the NBA?

coopdogg3
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM
I guess being a "person of interest" means something different in the NBA than it does to the police.

manufor3
08-08-2008, 09:29 AM

:lol

coopdogg3
08-08-2008, 09:30 AM

Now that's interesting. If the Grizzlies signed him, would he get boo'd when he is introduced in stadiums around the NBA just for being Iranian or would he be just another foreign player in the NBA?

I wonder what would happen to an American player if they had to tour through Iran.

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 09:31 AM
Good job edgar with the scoop!

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Oh, and link?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/aug/08/griz-sign-hawks-smith-offer-sheet/

Indazone
08-08-2008, 09:33 AM
I wonder what would happen to an American player if they had to tour through Iran.

He's probably have to endure a round of "death to America chants".

DPG21920
08-08-2008, 09:36 AM
The language in this press release is weird and how come none of the major publications (yahoo! or espn) have the story? It says the Grizzles have sent an offer sheet to the Atlanta Hawks Josh Smith, not that he has signed it. But then it says Atlanta has 7 days to match? It gives a number but not the length of years?

exstatic
08-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Hey Forest, Memphis isn't in the EC. They're in our conference, AND our division.

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 09:40 AM
Hey Forest, Memphis isn't in the EC. They're in our conference, AND our division.

Uhm he was being sarcastic. :toast

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 09:41 AM
The language in this press release is weird and how come none of the major publications (yahoo! or espn) have the story? It says the Grizzles have sent an offer sheet to the Atlanta Hawks Josh Smith, not that he has signed it. But then it says Atlanta has 7 days to match? It gives a number but not the length of years?

Local newspapers for ya.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2008, 09:48 AM

It was a joke.

lurker23
08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
In another development, the Griz have identified Iranian center Hamed Ehadadi as a person of interest and hope to sign the 7-2, 23-year-old next week. Ehadadi last played for Saba Battery of the Iran Super League. He'll also play for the Iran national team in the Olympics.

Ehadadi recently collected 19 points and 16 rebounds in summer league action at Utah. He amassed 20 points and nine rebounds against Argentina and 20 points, 20 rebounds and six blocks against Serbia in Olympic tune-ups.

Got a chance to see Ehadadi play a game in the RMR, and hopefully more people will get a chance to see him play during the Olympics. My impression was that he was probably the best player on that team. He uses his size well, and has some good offensive moves in the post. However, he still seems a bit raw (as is generally expected for a 23-year-old), and his hustle is going to have to increase if he wants to play in the NBA. At times he seemed very bored on defense, and jogged (or less) on getting back on defense after a missed shot. However, perhaps he was just bored by having the play an exhibition against the Dallas Mavericks summer league team.

DisAsTerBot
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM

only an idiot would boo someone just for being iranian

mojorizen7
08-08-2008, 10:10 AM
WTF are the Hawks doing to themselves this summer? If they don't retain J. Smith then.....oh yeah....i forgot........their the Hawks. Business as usual.

TheMadHatter
08-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Wait I thought the Grizzlies ruined themselves after the Pau Gasol trade? What is this....they are effectively rebuilding? You don't say :lmao

The_Game
08-08-2008, 10:53 AM
you guys are morons if you don't think hawks will match this offer

MaNuMaNiAc
08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Wait I thought the Grizzlies ruined themselves after the Pau Gasol trade? What is this....they are effectively rebuilding? You don't say :lmao

effectively?? :rolleyes

Mr. Body
08-08-2008, 11:06 AM

Most of the people in both countries aren't collosal asshats like their leaders are.

There was a story from the Rocky Mountain Revue where the Jazz gave him a jersey with his name on it because he lost some members of his family recently in a car accident. The crowd ate it up and both teams reported being very moved by the tribute. And that's Utah, supposedly one of the most conservative states in the nation.

The only people giving a rats' ass about Iran are the criminals in the White House and the propagandists employed by Rupert Murdoch.

bigdog
08-08-2008, 12:08 PM
The Hawks will match it. They were just waiting for him to get an offer so they could see what his value is.

lefty
08-08-2008, 12:17 PM

:lol

benefactor
08-08-2008, 12:36 PM
The Hawks are morons if they dont...especially with how he would be grossly overpaid next summer.

Tully365
08-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Atlanta proves how hard it is to build a championship team. After shocking the Celtics by taking them to game 7 in the playoffs, most people thought they'd be a force in the East this season. Then Childress left for Europe, and Josh Smith has essentially said he doesn't want to be in Atlanta if Woodson is still the coach... they're a good young team, but things don't long quite as rosy as they did just a few months ago...

angelbelow
08-08-2008, 02:13 PM
wow thats the most he could conjure.

baseline bum
08-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Look at Atlanta's salary cap situation. They have tons of money to match this offer, which is well below what he would pull on the open market. He's making less than Bogut.

baseline bum
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Most of the people in both countries aren't collosal asshats like their leaders are.

There was a story from the Rocky Mountain Revue where the Jazz gave him a jersey with his name on it because he lost some members of his family recently in a car accident. The crowd ate it up and both teams reported being very moved by the tribute. And that's Utah, supposedly one of the most conservative states in the nation.

The only people giving a rats' ass about Iran are the criminals in the White House and the propagandists employed by Rupert Murdoch.

I don't know... what about the time Wang Zhi Zhi got booed as he checked into his first game here?

TheMadHatter
08-08-2008, 02:49 PM
They are still going to be the same team minus Childress who came off the bench for them anyways.

baseline bum
08-08-2008, 03:07 PM
They are still going to be the same team minus Childress who came off the bench for them anyways.

I think they'll get better as Horford continues to develop.

BacktoBasics
08-08-2008, 03:25 PM
How long does Atlanta retain Childress's right?

Red Hawk #21
08-08-2008, 03:33 PM
WTF are the Hawks doing to themselves this summer? If they don't retain J. Smith then.....oh yeah....i forgot........their the Hawks. Business as usual.

Yup, your right. :bang

Red Hawk #21
08-08-2008, 03:39 PM

Someone needs to really step up in Childress absence, people don't realize how good childress was. He gave us energy, hustle and slashing. If Horford and Marvin can get better this year though, we should be in good shape.

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 04:37 PM
wow thats the most he could conjure.

I know right? Meanwhile they gave JJ that huge contract.

Mark in Austin
08-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Smith is an idiot for signing that offer if his goal was getting away from Atlanta.

Oh, on the Iran thing: I know of one player who grew up in Dallas, played college ball at Cincinnati, and is now playing in Iran's pro league. 70% of that country's population is under 30 years old. Think about that for a second. (by comparison, 41.3% of the US population is under 30 per 2006 census stats.) These under 30's have been exposed to the west by satellite dishes (illegal but tolerated - probably more of them grew up with Baywatch than we did) the internet, etc. There are even Iranian DJ's and rappers.

Unless a bunch of old clerics stop trying to figure out how they can cling to power in a country that is finding them more and more irrevelant each passing year for long enough to take in a basketball game, I doubt there'll be much of a reaction at all.

Indazone
08-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Smith is an idiot for signing that offer if his goal was getting away from Atlanta.

Oh, on the Iran thing: I know of one player who grew up in Dallas, played college ball at Cincinnati, and is now playing in Iran's pro league. 70% of that country's population is under 30 years old. Think about that for a second. (by comparison, 41.3% of the US population is under 30 per 2006 census stats.) These under 30's have been exposed to the west by satellite dishes (illegal but tolerated - probably more of them grew up with Baywatch than we did) the internet, etc. There are even Iranian DJ's and rappers.

Unless a bunch of old clerics stop trying to figure out how they can cling to power in a country that is finding them more and more irrevelant each passing year for long enough to take in a basketball game, I doubt there'll be much of a reaction at all.

That's good. The internet, satellite communications has made borders and countries irrelevant. How long do you think it will take before the Clerics lose power? We are well on the way to winning the war with China because we turned them into us. Donut eating Homer Simpsons.

Spurs Brazil
08-08-2008, 06:07 PM
That's an easy one for the Hawks

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I don't know why Josh Smith signed that. That's way below his market value. If he signs the QO, he probably gets near a max deal next season. If the Hawks don't match that, they might as well shut down that joke of a franchise.

Oh and this is why I didn't count the Grizzlies out of the Maggette chase. Everyone (fourm + media) said the Grizzlies were holding onto their money this summer. But I'm sure if Maggette wouldn't have found a deal, he would have waited out the Grizzlies to see what they would do. I'm thankful the Spurs got to move on Maggette as soon as they did. This offseason has been underwhelming but Mason + a shot at Pargo > nothing.

timtonymanu
08-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Hawks just re-signed Josh Smith.

Spurs Brazil
08-08-2008, 10:03 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53934/20080808/hawks_waste_no_time_match_offer_for_smith/

Hawks Waste No Time, Match Offer For Smith

Aug 08, 2008 10:17 PM EST
Atlanta Hawks General Manager Rick Sund announced tonight that the club has retained forward Josh Smith and matched the offer sheet of the Memphis Grizzlies.

“Tonight, the Hawks organization received an offer sheet from the Memphis Grizzlies for Josh Smith,” said Sund. “We are happy to announce that we will match their offer sheet. Ownership, management and the team are happy to have Josh return as a member of the Hawks. We look forward to training camp in October and we will continue to look at additional opportunities to improve our roster.”

Smith, whom the Hawks drafted with the 17th pick overall in the first round of the 2004 NBA Draft, has finished second in the NBA in blocks per game in each of the past two years and averaged team-highs in blocks per game (2.80) and steals per game (1.57), while also ranking second on the Hawks in points per game (17.2), rebounds per game (8.2) and assists per game (3.4) in 81 appearances last season.

T Park
08-08-2008, 10:16 PM
The Grizzlies played that well.

They knew the Hawks would match. All this did was placate the 5 Grizzlies fans in Memphis.

Textbook cheap owner move.

TDMVPDPOY
08-08-2008, 10:18 PM
smith shouldve waited for an offer from a euro club

baseline bum
08-08-2008, 10:22 PM
BUMP

That's a bargain for one of the best young players in the game, and the Hawks should just match it today as a thank you to the Grizz for saving them the money they'd have to spend if he ever hit the open market next summer.

(from my post this morning in the thread in the NBA forum)

DPG21920
08-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Hawks match the offer:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AmNCXziOBSEspaZ_bGUgB9u8vLYF?slug=ap-grizzlies-smith&prov=ap&type=lgns

ducks
08-09-2008, 02:44 PM
did not take long

BWS-1994
08-09-2008, 03:55 PM
No brainer. Now, for the Hawks to sign J-Smoove to a long term deal...