PDA

View Full Version : Josh Smith Signs Offer Sheet w/ Grizz

sribb43
08-08-2008, 10:06 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53926/20080808/grizzlies_sign_josh_smith_to_offer_sheet/

The Memphis Grizzlies have signed restricted Atlanta free agent Josh Smith to a $58 million offer sheet, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal is reporting.

The Hawks now have seven days to match or let Smith walk, but have said in the past they'll match any offer the high flyer may get from rival teams.

Should the Griz land Smith he is expected to play power forward alongside Rudy Gay at small forward, O.J. Mayo at shooting guard and Mike Conley at point guard.

IronMexican
08-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Grizz could be fun to watch if ATL doesn't match.

Stump
08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Atlanta will match

JamStone
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Dumb if he didn't want to play in Atlanta anymore. Now, if they match, he's stuck there for another five years. Guess he didn't want to risk not getting a big contract this summer and waiting another year. Would he really be excited to play in Memphis? Maybe with Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo, but still.

baseline bum
08-08-2008, 11:44 AM
I freaking told you Laker fans! :lmao

This was the smart thing for Atlanta to do. Now because Atlanta played their cards right, they're going to keep Smith and only have to pay him $10 million starting. He'll be making $13.2 million on the last season of the deal. That's a bargain for one of the best young players in the game, and the Hawks should just match it today as a thank you to the Grizz for saving them the money they'd have to spend if he ever hit the open market next summer.

mrspurs
08-08-2008, 11:45 AM
memphis isnt really an nba team, they are the allstar d-leaguers for LA...until gasol leaves LA, i will hold a personal grudge against the babybears for flat out cheating.

dirk4mvp
08-08-2008, 12:27 PM
hell yes

benefactor
08-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Will be matched. I agree that this is good for the Hawks. Smith will probably be kicking himself later for doing this when players who will are not as good as him are making more money.

Red Hawk #21
08-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Im not completely sure the buffoons in the Hawks front office are smart enough to match.

rj215
08-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Dumb if he didn't want to play in Atlanta anymore. Now, if they match, he's stuck there for another five years. Guess he didn't want to risk not getting a big contract this summer and waiting another year. Would he really be excited to play in Memphis? Maybe with Rudy Gay and OJ Mayo, but still.

+1 Read my mind. He should've taken the 1 year tender and then gotten out of that sink hole in ATL.

balli
08-08-2008, 02:48 PM
ATL better match.

And Atlanta isn't a sink hole. Woodson sucks and the ownership is fucked, but for several seasons now they've been a team on the brink; young and fun team to watch. Last season it culminated in a playoff berth and I seem to remember them taking the World Champion Celtics to 7 games, as opposed to the supposed future dynasty in LA.

Joe Johnson is an incredibly good basketball player- I haven't enjoyed watching a specific player's season as much, since his in 05-06. Horford should have won ROY last year. Marvin Williams keeps improving. If they keep him, Smith is amazing. Pachulia's a decent player. Knock Bibby all you want, but he's capable of doing the things they need him to do.

In closing: Atlanta is an up and comer, not a sinkhole. It sucks Childress bolted, but I expect them to make the playoffs again next year.

JamStone
08-08-2008, 10:33 PM
And... matched.

That didn't take too long.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3525609

angelbelow
08-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Poor Grizzlies:depressed

if they believed that they had a good shot then they really are idiots.

GuerillaBlack
08-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Mavs fans everywhere am cry.