PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: "Spurs Fans:Nervous"

xtremesteven33
08-08-2008, 05:37 PM
sounds like a spurstalk guy...haha

TrueHoop reader Tim watches the Spurs like a cat watches a mouse.

And at the moment it's making him feel a little queasy.

They didn't repeat as they had hoped, and seem to have a need to find some young studs to make things happen with Tim Duncan. But so far the off-season has seen the loss of would-be young studs Tiago Splitter and James Gist, a lack of promise from would-be young stud Ian Mahinmi, the departure of Brent Barry, and a few little moves, for instance bringing in Roger Mason Jr.

Tim e-mails:

The entire summer has been perplexing, and disappointing on many levels. Really, don't get me started. Okay, since you asked ...

-The Tiago Splitter miscalculation
-George Hill rather than Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur or Chris Douglas-Roberts
-Malik Hairston rather than Bill Walker or Richard Hendrix
-James Gist, possible late draft steal, goes to Italy
-Ian Mahinmi is not looking ready
-Brent Barry goes to Houston
-They didn't get in on the Renaldo Balkman giveaway even though they have a hole at the wing.
-Anthony Tolliver?!? Nothing against him, but unless the Spurs move Matt Bonner I don't see the logic.
-Jannero Pargo -- again he's a fine bench guy and all, but the Spurs just drafted a point.

This whole marching to the beat of your own drummer thing has its drawbacks.

Three good things: Roger Mason Jr. is an upgrade over Michael Finley, Kurt Thomas was signed on the cheap, and the Spurs have not affected their 2010 cap space, which is significant. ...

Probable roster as of training camp:

Parker/Pargo/Vaughn/Hill
Mason Jr./Ginobli/Finley(?)
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan/Tolliver/Bonner/Mahinmi
Oberto/Thomas

Weird, huh? Things are not balanced, and I suspect a small trade involving Vaughn and Bonner is in the works. I'd like Vaughn and Bonner to Miami in a sign and trade for Dorell Wright (the Heat just signed his replacement in Yakhouba Diawara, and already have Shawn Marion, Udonis Haslem, Michael Beasley and James Jones as forwards) but this isn't fantasy sports. Or, perhaps, they'll deal Hill for something if/when they sign Pargo -- the only two teams that are reportedly interested in him are Los Angelas and Boston, so that's highly doubtful.

Anyway, those are my ramblin' blues. If you can figure Pop out, let me know.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-33-157/Spurs-Fans--Nervous.html

itzsoweezee
08-08-2008, 05:39 PM
i still don't understand why people keep mentioning 2010. things will have deteriorated so much in two years that cap space in 2010 won't mean shit. this team is done.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
He copied all that shit from here.

manufor3
08-08-2008, 05:41 PM
i still don't understand why people keep mentioning 2010. things will have deteriorated so much in two years that cap space in 2010 won't mean shit. this team is done.

free agent market, we will go after a big name

gmanrulz
08-08-2008, 05:42 PM
wheres los angelas

Ronaldo McDonald
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
free agent market, we will go after a big name

I read somewhere that you have a better chance of getting struck lightning than the Spurs picking up a "big name" player. True story.

dbreiden83080
08-08-2008, 05:59 PM
If the Spurs have a bad year this year, then obviously the pressure to win in 2010 will be off the charts. If Major changes need to be made in the FO, then make them and do whatever it takes to see to it, that what is left of Duncan's career is not wasted.

T Park
08-08-2008, 06:01 PM
adiós hit the road then

xtremesteven33
08-08-2008, 06:02 PM
ok...which spurstalk guy submitted that email?

benefactor
08-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Yup...lets have it. C'mon now, fess up....

spursfan09
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
:lol wow. I am not worried we haven't made a "big move". We still have 3 big names. our biggest move for next year's playoffs we be to stay healthy.

rAm
08-08-2008, 06:40 PM
:lol wow. I am not worried we haven't made a "big move". We still have 3 big names. our biggest move for next year's playoffs we be to stay healthy.

which already isn't looking good due to Manu playing in the Olympics and another horrid March.

TheMadHatter
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
When you have Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan on your team you don't need to make big moves. You just need health.

K-State Spur
08-08-2008, 07:14 PM
somebody is going to have to explain to me why Tolliver & Bonner are necessarily redundant.

evidently, you're only allowed to have 1 big man with a jumpshot?

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Spur fans have the right to be worried. I don't mean missing the playoffs worried, but a 48-52 win season could very well happen.

Marcus Bryant
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
"Spurs Fans:Idiots"

duncan228
08-08-2008, 08:54 PM

I hate Spurs fans.

I really hate Spurs fans.

:lol

xtremesteven33
08-08-2008, 09:42 PM
When you have Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker, and Tim Duncan on your team you don't need to make big moves. You just need health.

thank you laker fan

lefty
08-08-2008, 09:44 PM

Sequ

T Park
08-08-2008, 10:17 PM

Yuuup.

DROB4EVER
08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
I wouldnt say Im nervous. I think the FO has made alot of questionable moves or lack of moves.

Hill in the draft odd, and the fact he is yet to sign even more odd. Gist praised and looking like a guy who could really help of the bench, and defend the tweeners that kill us every yr, sent to Italy?

Hairston I never thought looked like an NBA player, didnt even look like a D1 player and we picked him over some other guys I think are gonna be good role players.

Splitter think could not be helped, he was a great pick where they got him but losing him hurts.

Not addressing the lack of athletes on the wing, a move that has burned us before.

Not looking to add a true Center to the roster, a shot blocker rebounder guy....big mistake. If the spurs wanna be the dominate defensive team for the early title yrs we need a good 7 footer.

Pargo would be a nice pick up but come on he would have signed if he wanted to come, he is using the spurs as leverage.

Letting berry get away, a mistake for sure. When you have a good big man shooters are esential.

I dont think Pops and RC know whats going on. They are worried about 2010 more than 2008-2009.

EvaLongoria
08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Explain me this: What is the importance of the 2010 season? Why everybody talking about creating space for this season????????? Why 2010 and not now?

timtonymanu
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Explain me this: What is the importance of the 2010 season? Why everybody talking about creating space for this season????????? Why 2010 and not now?

because 2010 is the offseason where lebron, wade, and bosh will be FA.

mystargtr34
08-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Nearly all of the role players contracts dont come off the books until 2010.

A chance to land a big star, or if not, alot of room to start a new era around TP and TD

EvaLongoria
08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Nearly all of the role players contracts dont come off the books until 2010.

A chance to land a big star, or if not, alot of room to start a new era around TP and TD

and around Manu,,,you left Manu out? Manu is the enery of us !!!!!!! GINOBILIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII,,,,,our white Jordan !

mystargtr34
08-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Yea, he will always be our x-factor, but he'll be 33 then, thats another 200 odd games... i dont think he will be as big as a contributor as TP or Duncan.

EvaLongoria
08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Yea, he will always be our x-factor, but he'll be 33 then, thats another 200 odd games... i dont think he will be as big as a contributor as TP or Duncan.

Well, i think Manu will be a force no matter his age,,,why? Because of his offensive and defensive awareness. He admits he's not agile as 4 years ago, but he has masterized his mid jumpers, his beyond the arc, pumpfakes, glass shots and fadeaways. So, i dont think he needs to rely solely on his prior athletics skills. Remember Michael Jordan in Wizards? He killed everybody with jumpshots.
Sometimes, players improve or maintain their great game exchanging youth athletic skills with more fundaments and awareness. I think Manu is becoming better each year, and each year he is losing youth. Conclusion: his fundamentals are getting stronger,,,,example: last season,,,,last season was his best season so far, and it was his season with less dunks and crazy layups,,,The same is happening with Duncan: Tim is getting more solid and smarter each year,,,
My concern is regarding Tony because he is killing everybody with young quickness,,but what about in the 30's when youth is over? I hope Tony start improving his 3s and his mid jumpers now, because Father-Time is coming soon, but like Charles Barkley says : " Ginobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-09-2008, 12:07 AM
if hill doesn't pan out, spurs will be shaky next season. even if pargo joins, he isn't that good and is the last person you want taking shots during the playoffs. it seems that the spurs had a huge elaborate plan to keep the team strong but it seems that, by chance, a perfect storm has destroyed most of the their plans and backup plans.

most of these incidents are not the spurs' fault but it does seem that almost everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. you got scola, splitter, maybe a poor first round pick in hill, barry leaving, and another year going by which means everyone is another year older. the spurs had solid plans to improve the PF/C and PG positions but scola, splitter, and perhaps hill and mahinmi all simultaneously decided to not deliver.

good news is that the spurs have plenty of backup plans so they still improved. it may be a small improvement but it's better than going backwards. mason will a good replacement for finley at SG and can also play backup PG so that ginobili doesn't have to do it anymore. kurt thomas came back for cheap which will keep the PF/C position from sliding. the spurs are probably one excellent bench player away from being the top team. if mahinmi, hill, or mason decide to elevate their game, it will be more than enough to get back on the top.

midgetonadonkey
08-09-2008, 12:15 AM
Hill will be ok.

Fuck everybody that doubts that.

Gist sucks.

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Well, i think Manu will be a force no matter his age,,,why? Because of his offensive and defensive awareness. He admits he's not agile as 4 years ago, but he has masterized his mid jumpers, his beyond the arc, pumpfakes, glass shots and fadeaways. So, i dont think he needs to rely solely on his prior athletics skills. Remember Michael Jordan in Wizards? He killed everybody with jumpshots.
Sometimes, players improve or maintain their great game exchanging youth athletic skills with more fundaments and awareness. I think Manu is becoming better each year, and each year he is losing youth. Conclusion: his fundamentals are getting stronger,,,,example: last season,,,,last season was his best season so far, and it was his season with less dunks and crazy layups,,,The same is happening with Duncan: Tim is getting more solid and smarter each year,,,
My concern is regarding Tony because he is killing everybody with young quickness,,but what about in the 30's when youth is over? I hope Tony start improving his 3s and his mid jumpers now, because Father-Time is coming soon, but like Charles Barkley says : " Ginobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jordan had the game and skill set to dominate without using his athelticism as much.

Manu on the other hand, relies on his athelticism alot more to get to the hoop, he doesnt get much elevation on his jumpshot, nor does he have a high release, so he will have a much tougher time getting seperation from more atheltic defenders. He will probably be primarily a 3 point shooter by the time hes 33.

wisnub
08-09-2008, 12:32 AM
I read somewhere that you have a better chance of getting struck lightning than the Spurs picking up a "big name" player. True story.

Fuck man,that is true. I dont think we ever gonna get a "big name" player. If we ever ever gonna get Lebron or D Wade on 2010, I will go to work naked (its not going to happen)

K-State Spur
08-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Who are we going to grab now? We only had the MLE to offer. We made a run at Maggette, but he was too rich for that.

Josh Smith & JR Smith were going to get matched for that amount.

K-State Spur
08-09-2008, 12:41 AM
Fuck man,that is true. I dont think we ever gonna get a "big name" player. If we ever ever gonna get Lebron or D Wade on 2010, I will go to work naked (its not going to happen)

Most of the time, big name players simply don't change teams. We saw a little bit of reshuffling this year (in an offseason where the Spurs didn't have much to offer), but that's an anomaly - not the norm.

Last year, the biggest name to switch teams was Rashard Lewis, who is hardly an elite player.

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Im banking on Chris Bosh ... comin back to Texas

Obviosuly getting a player of that caliber would be a stretch, but theres alot of options to rebuild with more than one big piece... i cant wait.

midgetonadonkey
08-09-2008, 12:47 AM
Im banking on Chris Bosh ... comin back to Texas

Obviosuly getting a player of that caliber would be a stretch, but theres alot of options to rebuild with more than one big piece... i cant wait.

If you are banking on it, I'll put money on him never coming back.

I bet you 100$ that he never comes back.

underdawg
08-09-2008, 12:55 AM
Most of the time, big name players simply don't change teams. We saw a little bit of reshuffling this year (in an offseason where the Spurs didn't have much to offer), but that's an anomaly - not the norm.

Last year, the biggest name to switch teams was Rashard Lewis, who is hardly an elite player.

Orlando paid him like a big name player.

That said, the Spurs "big name" players have been Robinson and Duncan and that was through the draft (call it luck if you will.) It still really surprises me when fans on this forum are shocked that we don't bring in the "big" free agent. Our system just isn't set up that way - we rely on what we've been fortunate to have and add ordinary role players to fill the holes. Finley was a big acquistion for us, but he really was past the peak of his career and we got him cheap due to the NBA rule change. Call it luck, call it fortune but at the end of the day our Spurs have existed successfully by acquiring players that fit "the system" more than grabbing players that are "big name" players. If you don't like it - fine. That's normal for a fan that thinks that the Spurs have a motive to go out and get these "big name" players. The fact of the matter is that they've had a team that's been competitive because of the Big 3 and adding supplemental players to accomadate the Big 3 has worked out so far. We're getting younger this year and it's still yet to be proven that the moves by the FO will be a success or a failure. If we suck by mid-season, than the haters are all geniuses. Until then, let's see how it works out. By the way, there's still too many holes for our FO to be done yet.

wijayas
08-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Yup...lets have it. C'mon now, fess up....

The article said "Tim". Which Tim? Timvp? :lol

jimo2305
08-09-2008, 06:32 AM
ha! i remember singin' to this tune waaaay back.. as soon as offseason started.. im like "why are we screwin' up already".. the loss of splitter crushed my confidence by alot.. and it only only got worse lol!!

look it's great to have faith in your team and such but let me take a hit of whatever your'e on if you truly thing we're gonna have a successful season in 2009..

look parker's on the nba live 09 cover.. those coverboys get injured or have horrible seasons compared to their typical seasons.. mark my words.. i said it.. theres a curse there

tav1
08-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Guys, it was me. Henry Abbott and I have emailed in the past I sent it to him a couple nights ago. I just now saw the post (and this thread) because I was offline while attending to business late this week. I posted nearly the same thing as he posted from my email in a couple thread(s) on this board. So I'm the idiot fan.

K-State Spur
08-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Orlando paid him like a big name player.
It still really surprises me when fans on this forum are shocked that we don't bring in the "big" free agent. Our system just isn't set up that way - we rely on what we've been fortunate to have and add ordinary role players to fill the holes.

Nobody's system really works that way.

Save a gift from Jerry West this past year, and the Lakers last big name acquisition from another team was Shaq (before the new CBA).

Typically, the only guys who change teams are guys who a) are well past their primes (i.e. Kidd to the Mavs, Shaq to the Suns), b) guys who are B/C level free agents who may - or may not - take off in their new surroundings (i.e. Arenas to the Wiz, Nash to the Suns), c) guys who have other issues that make them available for less than their production would indicate (i.e. Artest to the Rockets).

Ya Vez
08-09-2008, 12:15 PM
The NBA and Laker fans should be nervous reports are Kobe will test the global market..

Yahoo NBA Sports

Kobe says Europe a possibility

By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 6 hours, 30 minutes ago
Adrian Wojnarowski

BEIJING – Kobe Bryant won’t sign a contract extension with the Los Angeles Lakers until he has tested the global market, the U.S. Olympic basketball star told Yahoo! Sports on Saturday.

Asked whether he plans to solicit overseas offers before signing an extension, Bryant flatly said yes.

It’s possible Bryant could leave the NBA for Europe – perhaps in a dual role of owner and player – as early as next summer. Bryant is signed with the Lakers through the 2010-11 season, but can opt out after next season.

Suddenly, the best player in the world seems determined to pair the changing global economics with his unparalleled popularity to create an international bidding war. A day earlier, Bryant told the Boston Globe that he would consider a $50 million offer to play in Europe.

lotr1trekkie
08-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Screw 2010 strategy! Are we really going to give 30-35 million for The King, Wade or Bosh? None of these bloodsuckers will ever come for much less than Tim gets ----which is all they are worth to us? We need to IMPROVE this season! Finley doesn't help us get to the finals. Ditto Bonner, Pargo and Gist. It seems to me that if the FO[Holt] doesn't stop dealing in wishing and hoping[ if Mahamni is good, if Hill is a stud, Mason is a hidden gem], Tim will have every right to request a trade to a serious contender before 2012. Maggette should have taught us that 99% of FA's will take the money, period! I'd prefer to pay whatever to get Splitter hope to sign any of these FA. Let Lebron go to Greece and get educated. Let Bosh go to Russia and Wade to Tau. We need to take care of the the Big Three!

K-State Spur
08-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Screw 2010 strategy! Are we really going to give 30-35 million for The King, Wade or Bosh? None of these bloodsuckers will ever come for much less than Tim gets ----which is all they are worth to us? We need to IMPROVE this season! Finley doesn't help us get to the finals. Ditto Bonner, Pargo and Gist. It seems to me that if the FO[Holt] doesn't stop dealing in wishing and hoping[ if Mahamni is good, if Hill is a stud, Mason is a hidden gem], Tim will have every right to request a trade to a serious contender before 2012. Maggette should have taught us that 99% of FA's will take the money, period! I'd prefer to pay whatever to get Splitter hope to sign any of these FA. Let Lebron go to Greece and get educated. Let Bosh go to Russia and Wade to Tau. We need to take care of the the Big Three!

Nice rant. Now who are the Spurs going to sign less than half of the MLE? That's all that the team can offer, regardless of how much cap space they want available in 2 years.

Going after Corey Maggette basically proved that the 2010 plan is much less rigid than folks on this board act like it is. It's likely just as much the logical conclusion of being fiscally responsible at is it a conscious decision to hold cap space for that year.

DROB4EVER
08-09-2008, 01:43 PM
Jordan had the game and skill set to dominate without using his athelticism as much.

Manu on the other hand, relies on his athelticism alot more to get to the hoop, he doesnt get much elevation on his jumpshot, nor does he have a high release, so he will have a much tougher time getting seperation from more atheltic defenders. He will probably be primarily a 3 point shooter by the time hes 33.

Manu uses smarts and angles to get seperation. He also has a bag of deadly fakes to draw contact. He has never been jump shooter he is a set shooter and guys have to lay off him because of his first step.

Euro guys can play without being athletic so he will be a good player till 35.
His body has taken a beating so that is the only question is if his legs will hold out.

As far as his jumping, if anyone saw that dunk in the warm up games the other day his legs are fine. He can still explode, he has just had an ankle issue all year that got reinjured in the playoffs and robbed him of lift and cut ability.

Anti.Hero
08-09-2008, 01:59 PM
Last year was the year to solidify the legacy. They failed.

Now I just sit back and enjoy the last years of Manu and Tim. It's all good.

duncan228
08-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Last year was the year to solidify the legacy. They failed.

Now I just sit back and enjoy the last years of Manu and Tim. It's all good.

Anything less than a Championship is a failure in a sense, but they did get to the WCF. Their season was more successful than 26 other teams in the league. I think their legacy is solid even without a repeat, though I agree a repeat would be great.

If the big 3 stay healthy this year, and the role players do their job, I like our chances to continue our "win in odd years" pattern. And a fifth Title, even without a repeat, puts this team yet another level above the rest of the league.

It is all good.

johnny_J_Jackson
08-09-2008, 04:55 PM
You bums quit your damn complaining. You won 4 titles. Bunch of retared San Antonio children.

mrspurs
08-09-2008, 05:12 PM
i thought this thread was gonna lead to manu playing in the games. hahahaha, i could careless what any espn or anyother reporter has to say about the spurs. im old enough to know good basketball when i see it, i dont need some ex-player or even some non ex-player reporter telling me something i probably knew first or already......

Flux451
08-09-2008, 05:18 PM
I am not sure the age of most fans here, but I am from the era of jr reid, duncan, vinny, carr, etc.
Seems if we do get into a lull, its something to live with. I am just happy to have been so success the past decade.
Anyone remember the frustration of getting taken out in most 1st rounds and really desping the Jazz.
The worst was right before we got tim duncan.
Time to suck it up if the season goes sour. I still have confidence though, so should you.

rj215
08-09-2008, 05:33 PM
I would love to see what these cliff jumper Spurs fans would do if they really went into a title drought. I mean for fuck's sake everytime they make a move that you don't understand or agree with it 'we'll never win again' or 'well they wasted what's left of Tim and Manu's career'...quit bitchin' and wait to see if the Spurs can get back to the top of the mountain....I didn't agree with them drafting Hill but even if they fucked that up is it really going to kill us? Hell no. We might sign Pargo and Pargo > Hill. Plus we have Vaughn's scrub ass in case of emergency. Gist was a summer league wonder....who gives a flying fuck. He's off to make chedder somewhere else..good for him. And Ian doesn't have to come save us; all he has to do is spell Tim and Kurt for 10 minutes a game. Let's all take a deep breath, put the gun down and wait to see what the FO's moves will do for us this year.

Oh and I almost forgot...:lobt::lobt::lobt::lobt:

z0sa
08-10-2008, 12:01 AM
These are all the same argument everyone made after the Spurs delivered no big time moves in 2007.

Tully365
08-10-2008, 02:25 AM
Tim e-mails:

The entire summer has been perplexing, and disappointing on many levels. Really, don't get me started. Okay, since you asked ...

-The Tiago Splitter miscalculation
-George Hill rather than Mario Chalmers, Darrell Arthur or Chris Douglas-Roberts
-Malik Hairston rather than Bill Walker or Richard Hendrix
-James Gist, possible late draft steal, goes to Italy
-Ian Mahinmi is not looking ready
-Brent Barry goes to Houston
-They didn't get in on the Renaldo Balkman giveaway even though they have a hole at the wing.
-Anthony Tolliver?!? Nothing against him, but unless the Spurs move Matt Bonner I don't see the logic.
-Jannero Pargo -- again he's a fine bench guy and all, but the Spurs just drafted a point.

-Splitter was not a miscalculation by the Spurs. His staying in Europe was the result of economic changes in the US and in Europe that are beyond the control of any NBA team. Blaming the Spurs for Splitter is sort of like blaming the mayor of a small obscure town somewhere in middle America for the price of gas being $4 a gallon.

-Hill may still turn out to be better than those guys. Way too early to judge. If the Spurs worked out Hill and Chalmers together and Hill clearly outplayed him, what would expect them to do? Pick Chalmers just because he came from a bigger program? Vaughn came from that same big school and he gets crucified daily on this site.

-Mahinmi is looking ready to put up numbers better than Horry or Elson did last year. That's all they need.

-Why is it that a few months ago Barry was an old guy that the Spurs needed to get rid of and now he's a clutch performer that they will sorely miss? Mason plays better D and is younger and more athletic, the two magic things everyone said the Spurs needed.

-Balkman couldn't start for The New York Knicks. Let me rewrite that: The New York Knicks. Udoka had better numbers on a good Spurs team last year than Balkman did on a terrible Knicks team.

Flux451
08-10-2008, 09:34 AM
-Splitter was not a miscalculation by the Spurs. His staying in Europe was the result of economic changes in the US and in Europe that are beyond the control of any NBA team. Blaming the Spurs for Splitter is sort of like blaming the mayor of a small obscure town somewhere in middle America for the price of gas being $4 a gallon.

-Hill may still turn out to be better than those guys. Way too early to judge. If the Spurs worked out Hill and Chalmers together and Hill clearly outplayed him, what would expect them to do? Pick Chalmers just because he came from a bigger program? Vaughn came from that same big school and he gets crucified daily on this site.

-Mahinmi is looking ready to put up numbers better than Horry or Elson did last year. That's all they need.

-Why is it that a few months ago Barry was an old guy that the Spurs needed to get rid of and now he's a clutch performer that they will sorely miss? Mason plays better D and is younger and more athletic, the two magic things everyone said the Spurs needed.

-Balkman couldn't start for The New York Knicks. Let me rewrite that: The New York Knicks. Udoka had better numbers on a good Spurs team last year than Balkman did on a terrible Knicks team.

Well put!:toast

pad300
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM

23 pts against the Lakers in the playoffs...
I think you are significantly overestimating the people who actually wanted to get rid of Barry. Barry has always been acceptably productive & efficient on the court, it's just that some people thought he was overpaid for the MLE... Finley on the other hand was an old guy that the Spurs needed to get rid of. When Finley's not hitting his shots consistently, he brings very little else to the table...

Just because Isaih is an idiot is not a problem with Balkman.

http://dberri.wordpress.com/2008/04/06/a-eulogy-for-the-knicks-of-isiah-thomas/

According to some statistical measures, Balkman was the 2nd most productive player on the team on a per minute basis... Isiah is a lousy GM, a lousy coach, and a pretty good scout. Balkman is a useful player on the floor who doesn't need plays called for him - he gets his scoring off fast breaks, broken plays and rebounds.... This is a useful player to have. Getting him for twice the price Denver paid would be a steal.

Tully365
08-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Don't get me wrong--I liked Barry. I just think that if the Spurs are serious about getting younger, than it makes sense to start with older reserve players like Horry and Barry. If Finley resigns he will not be much more than a cheap insurance plan, and will have dropped on the depth chart from #1 to #3. But I honestly think Mason & Hill will represent a very significant defensive upgrade over both Barry and Finley.

I should have mentioned that I am originally from NY and watching the Knicks play is pretty much torture at this point. But I really think Udoka and the Spurs' FO get very little credit for what was a very good move. Udoka isn't a star, but he's a guy who plays 20 mpg and makes less than Vaughn, which is something most teams would love to have.

pad300
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Don't get me wrong--I liked Barry. I just think that if the Spurs are serious about getting younger, than it makes sense to start with older reserve players like Horry and Barry. If Finley resigns he will not be much more than a cheap insurance plan, and will have dropped on the depth chart from #1 to #3. But I honestly think Mason & Hill will represent a very significant defensive upgrade over both Barry and Finley.

I disagree with your theory. In my opinion, it makes sense to start with the old players who are playing badly (as opposed to being signficantly productive, Finley Wins/48 = 0.087 Barry Wins/48 = 0.196. Yes, statistics and in particular David Berri's Wins Produced stuff is not the be all and end all, but it's still somewhat relevant. ) At least they haven't brought back Horry (Wins/48 0.082) or Mighty Mouse (Wins/48 -0.05811),and are looking to move Vaughn (wins/48 0.067) down the depth chart. Also, I don't think Hill can play SG effectively in the NBA - he's 6'2"...

I should have mentioned that I am originally from NY and watching the Knicks play is pretty much torture at this point. But I really think Udoka and the Spurs' FO get very little credit for what was a very good move. Udoka isn't a star, but he's a guy who plays 20 mpg and makes less than Vaughn, which is something most teams would love to have.

Udoka was a good move at his price. However, he's not a reason to not find a non-undersized wing player...

Admiral
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I don't feel like we need to make many changes. We weren't far off last year. We have our nucleus of Tim, Tony, and Manu returning. That is a GREAT core to build around! So why the talk about bringing in a "big name?" We have three already.

I am not buying into the media's doom and gloom/"the Spurs are too old" talk. They have said that prior to seasons we've won titles, so take it with a grain of salt. We've been contenders for much of the last 15 years. Our front office knows what they are doing. Don't they deserve the benefit of the doubt this offseason?

I like Finley and could think of many worse players to fill his role. Why is everyone so down on him?

By the way, Balkman stinks. He has a bad attitude and couldn't even start on the Knicks. Next.

The Truth #6
08-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Guys, it was me. Henry Abbott and I have emailed in the past I sent it to him a couple nights ago. I just now saw the post (and this thread) because I was offline while attending to business late this week. I posted nearly the same thing as he posted from my email in a couple thread(s) on this board. So I'm the idiot fan.

I thought most of the points were valid for the moment. Obviously, much is to be determined. The letter wasn't all negative so I don't see why people would get their panties in a bunch. Many posters here are just looking for something to freak out about.

K-State Spur
08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
According to some statistical measures, Balkman was the 2nd most productive player on the team on a per minute basis... Isiah is a lousy GM, a lousy coach, and a pretty good scout. Balkman is a useful player on the floor who doesn't need plays called for him - he gets his scoring off fast breaks, broken plays and rebounds.... This is a useful player to have. Getting him for twice the price Denver paid would be a steal.

Sounds like the scouting report for Jackie Butler...

Tully365
08-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I disagree with your theory. In my opinion, it makes sense to start with the old players who are playing badly (as opposed to being signficantly productive, Finley Wins/48 = 0.087 Barry Wins/48 = 0.196. Yes, statistics and in particular David Berri's Wins Produced stuff is not the be all and end all, but it's still somewhat relevant. ) At least they haven't brought back Horry (Wins/48 0.082) or Mighty Mouse (Wins/48 -0.05811),and are looking to move Vaughn (wins/48 0.067) down the depth chart. Also, I don't think Hill can play SG effectively in the NBA - he's 6'2"...

Udoka was a good move at his price. However, he's not a reason to not find a non-undersized wing player...

If you look at something like the Roland Ratings from 82games.com, Barry was +0.3 for the year and Finley was -0.6, which equates to basically breaking even for both of them. Balkman finished the season -3.3 on a terrible team.

I didn't mean to imply that Hill would play SG, but rather that his presence represented an upgrade in the overall defensive abilities of the team. If he develops he might spend some time alongside Parker in a three guard smallball set, because he probably would be able to guard smaller SGs with his 6'9" wingspan.

Amuseddaysleeper
08-10-2008, 10:42 PM
We are going to be entering a dark age of the Duncan era.

*cracks open a beer*