PDA

View Full Version : Interesting article...

Red Hawk #21
08-08-2008, 06:04 PM
USA basketball is missing something ... or someone
By Scoop Jackson
Page 2 Updated: August 8, 2008, 2:11 PM ET

They looked good, didn't they? Flashes of '92, right? Like we 'bout to get that ol' thing back.

But something still doesn't feel right, right? There's still something wrong, isn't there? It's like something is missing, but you just … can't … put … your … finger on it.

Chris Bosh threw down a big dunk against Australia -- but was it an intimidating one?
Let me help. There was a point in the third quarter of USA's final pre-Beijing tune-up against Australia (which was playing without Andrew Bogut, mind you) when Chris Bosh took over. The U.S. lead had fallen to single digits. But, off a pass from Dwyane Wade, Bosh came down the lane doing his best David Robinson impersonation and threw one down. Bill Walton would have been proud.

But after that, the Australians scored with ease. And often. They never flinched; they acted as if Bosh's dunk was nothing more than two points. Another national team, scared by us in a basketball game? Not anymore. Not even facing the best team the U.S. has been able to assemble in eight years.

But Chris Bosh is not the issue here. He just exposed the void that might just hinder the Redeem Team's quest for gold. What's missing on this team is an intangible that, on his best day, Bosh (or Dwight Howard, or Carlos Boozer, or anyone else on the team) can't provide -- the intangible that would make this feeling that's gnawing at the bottom of our stomachs like leftover ceviche go away.

On the eve of the opening ceremony, it's too late to do anything about it. This team has other concerns too -- like occasional apathetic defense, intensity lapses and not having anyone besides Michael Redd to drop needles from 30 feet or anyone besides Tayshaun Prince to lock down a player like Spain's Juan Carlos Navarro if he gets warm. But what's missing is …

Amare Stoudemire.

Even though Chris Anstey of Australia believes the fear factor is still there ("I think a lot of teams get intimidated by that [U.S.] team"), the truth is, if the intimidation factor was there, none of us would have that feeling in our stomach.

Nothing against anyone on this squad, but Stoudemire -- who elected not to participate, concerned about the health of his surgically-repaired knees -- is the only player who was available to the United States who could have taken that feeling inside of us away. His presence, his demeanor, his anger, his power, his meanness, the messages he sends when he plays … that's what is missing.

Amare Stoudemire brings something to the table that perhaps no other American player can.
The U.S. team is made up of great players, but none are mean.They're all too nice. No one is going to elbow an Angolan in the chest for no reason. There's no one who makes other teams think twice about whether they really want to win; that player who can knock the will and ambition out of a team without throwing a punch; that player who can do something on offense that is so intimidating to the opposing squad, the U.S. doesn't have to play defense for two or three trips down the floor because its opponent is so shook up.

Had that been Stoudemire instead of Bosh on the other end of that pass from D-Wade against Australia, flying down the lane for a flush, that game is over. Shrinkage sets in on the other side. Their shots stop falling. Confidence exits their souls as if someone yelled, "Fire!"

But after watching the U.S. get past Turkey and Lithuania like they were AAU squads, and then be challenged by Russia and Australia, it is glass-cubicle clear that once the games begin in Beijing, no one is going to be afraid of the U.S. team. Or anyone on it.

True, LBJ can go nuts. Kobe can lose his mind offensively. And those things may reduce an opponent's chances of winning. But they won't crush an international team's spirit the way they do in the NBA. The Wizards and Spurs may be scared, but the world ain't. Stoudemire's ability to do things by sheer force -- force no other international player, or any other player in the NBA for that matter, possesses -- could have been the difference between this team simply winning the gold medal and this team winning the gold medal while never having less than a 25-point lead after halftime. The difference between destiny and dominance. Redemption and resurrection.

So as you watch this team go for the gold, pay close attention to what is missing. Visualize the difference Amare Stoudemire would've made. Not that we are looking for perfection, but we are in search of something damn close. And if we're looking for this team to re-establish our true place in the game, by having other nations straight scared of us when they have to go against us, then we may have to wait until 2012 -- when Team USA might be able to convince Stoudemire just how necessary he is.

Because in this sport we call basketball, in which we are trying to redeem ourselves, why just go for the gold when instilling fear is a much greater reward?

mZjPnqzq_E0

Red Hawk #21
08-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Personally I think he has a point but you should never have to depend on your opponent being intimated to win a basketball game.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-08-2008, 06:12 PM
So Scoop thinks that a few alley oop dunks are what they need? And Stoudemire is not "mean". Am I the only that saw the Suns go out and take on $40 mil in salary to bring in Shaq because STAT wasn't enough of a physical presence? He's so mean that when Bruce Bowen supposedly tried to end his career Amare got even by pissing and moaning to the media. Not surprisingly, Scoop is full of shit.

USA basketball has lost its air of invincibility. That's no big secret. The rest of the world got better. It happens. Amare isn't some savior despite what he might have inked on the side of his neck.

JamStone
08-08-2008, 06:17 PM
A white player?

Pero
08-08-2008, 06:21 PM
A white player?

:lmao

benefactor
08-08-2008, 06:42 PM
It pretty simple actually....

http://www.fiba.com/images/web/News/coaches/usa/Mike_Krzyzewski/_original/USA_M_Krzyzewski_o.jpg

=

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q45/gospelrapper/coachklein.jpg

TheMadHatter
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
The USA team flat out needs experience playing as a unit. They need a coach capable of merging a group of superstar talents into a team with well defined role players. Mike K. is not that coach unfortunately.

We can no longer win this thing on talent alone.

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I didn't get why the USA has a NCAA coach to coach NBA players in a FIBA event. It makes no sense at all and USA horrible coaching is the main reason why they lost against greece last year.

The USA team is head and shoulder ahead other teams and should win the gold but they have made the task less easy by chosing this coach.

JamStone
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
I didn't get why the USA has a NCAA coach to coach NBA players in a FIBA event. It makes no sense at all and USA horrible coaching is the main reason why they lost against greece last year.

The USA team is head and shoulder ahead other teams and should win the gold but they have made the task less easy by chosing this coach.

Team USA didn't lose to Greece last year. That was two summers ago in 2006, the first year they put this team together and that first summer where they had the least amount of preparation time. NBA coaching didn't help in 2004 with minimal preparation either. NBA coaching would likely not coach this team much different from how Coach K is coaching.

JMarkJohns
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
At one point Amare played angry, and this anger did intimidate many players. However, along the way he allowed said fact to go to his head, therefore becoming too cocky for his own good at times, aiding in his increasing number of bonehead plays which caused many of those once intimidated by him to realize he could be very stupid, if not childish, and in turn they started harassing him, which caused Amare to whine, which caused Amare to become and, increasingly, play frustrated.

Much of the time now, this frustration is confused for anger and intimidation.

HOWEVER, I do agree that Amare will be missed. His ability on offense, his intensity and his ability to score on anyone at any time from practically anywear will be missed and, along with Jackson's point, without that one player of his unique being, it will be hard for the USA to intimidate most opposing big men because none of them bring the combination of versatility, athleticism, offensive prowess, size and strength that Amare brings, nor the relentlessness to score no matter. That will be missed, but not because Amare's passion casuses an anger that strikes fear in the hearts of foreign big men. Because nobody can bring in one package what he can, even if off the bench.

Bruno
08-09-2008, 05:20 AM
NBA coaching would likely not coach this team much different from how Coach K is coaching.

I highly doubt USA would play that kind of defense with a NBA competent coach like Pop.

Gino
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Im a Stoudemire fan but I completely disagree with this article.

Amare Stoudemire is NOT Charles Barkley (as this article tries to pretend). And Amare's weaknesses is basically what has been Team USA's weaknesses the past few years; defense and mental toughness.

mrspurs
08-09-2008, 05:55 PM
bring back the college boys, there is no doubt in my mind our college boys can beat anyother countrys team...........if not so what, not like our pros have been doing it

Ghazi
08-09-2008, 05:58 PM
bring back the college boys, there is no doubt in my mind our college boys can beat anyother countrys team...........if not so what, not like our pros have been doing it

College team would probably get blown out by Spain.

ShoogarBear
08-09-2008, 07:30 PM
College team would probably get blown out by China.

Fixed.

Findog
08-09-2008, 08:27 PM
haha, Scoop Jackson knows as much about basketball as that other Scoop Jackson.

Lp26
08-10-2008, 01:09 AM
If you want "intimidation", IMO go for KG. I think he might be a little mentally unstable and that always helps with the intimidation factor :lol.

What Team USA needs is better interior defense and perimeter defense . . . the only perimeter defender they have is essentially Kobe. I guess you put Prince in that category b/c you're allowed to hand check(?), but he barely plays.

In terms of interior defense, they have no one. Only Howard is a good help side defender, but his man defense is weak.

They still have enough talent to win it. I'm just not sure if they can handle the great fundamental teams.

z0sa
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM
If you want "intimidation", IMO go for KG. I think he might be a little mentally unstable and that always helps with the intimidation factor :lol.

What Team USA needs is better interior defense and perimeter defense . . . the only perimeter defender they have is essentially Kobe. I guess you put Prince in that category b/c you're allowed to hand check(?), but he barely plays.

In terms of interior defense, they have no one. Only Howard is a good help side defender, but his man defense is weak.

They still have enough talent to win it. I'm just not sure if they can handle the great fundamental teams.

I don't recall which game it was, but the last memory I have of watching USA Basketball (and it isn't recent), is of LeBron and some bigman getting abused on the picnroll again ... and again ... and again ... :downspin: