08-08-2008, 06:43 PM
:)

benefactor
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
....in this league

http://www.juneauempire.com/images/031107/16646_500.jpg

timvp
08-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Way to jinx him. The last player you said was a stud was waived a month later.

:td

Bruno
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Way to jinx him. The last player you said was a stud was waived a month later.

:td

Jinx stories are for pussies.

Hemotivo
08-08-2008, 06:51 PM
:lol

Bruno
08-08-2008, 06:52 PM
Splitter didn't sign with Spurs because he was scared of Ian.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/014a6HJfAJbuG/340x.jpg

timvp
08-08-2008, 06:53 PM
Waiving Marcus Williams was a disaster but trading Luis Scola for nothing was a great move.

:stirpot:

Magic_Johnson
08-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Ian will take over and TD will be the 2nd option.

timvp
08-08-2008, 06:54 PM

Ah now I see why you started this thread. That pic was worth the wait.

Nicely played :tu

Bruno
08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
:stirpot:

Look at the fear in Scrubla's eyes :

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01ewbSh7N597p/610x.jpg

urunobili
08-08-2008, 07:03 PM
FAILURE... Mahimini won't ever make the team.. ZERO basketball IQ.. just athleticism doesn't cut it with this team... :td

Magic_Johnson
08-08-2008, 07:09 PM
FAILURE... Mahimini won't ever make the team.. ZERO basketball IQ.. just athleticism doesn't cut it with this team... :td

well Elson made the team 2 years with no basketball IQ

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Haters can kiss Jackie butler's ass.
And don't worry it is big enough to receive a nearly infinite number of lips.

polandprzem
08-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Bruno you are overrated

1st. you did not posted a pic
2nd. you messing with timvp
3rd there is no third

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Serious questions for Bruno. In your opinion, how come Mahinmi didn't improve his summer league performance much at all from two summers ago when he was just learning basketball? Do you think he will be a rotation player this season? Has the French media talked about him at all since summer league?

TIA.

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:32 PM
In your opinion, how come Mahinmi didn't improve his summer league performance much at all from two summers ago when he was just learning basketball?

I didn't watch Mahinmi two summers ago in SL.
Mahinmi's improvement over the year in D-League has been quite amazing. I didn't put too much weight in what he has done in SL because it's SL.

Do you think he will be a rotation player this season?

If the roster stay the same, yes.
Mahinmi mobility is light year ahead other Spurs' bigs.
There is a wide open niche open for him in Spurs' roster.

Has the French media talked about him at all since summer league?

AFAIK, no.

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the answers. Summer league is higher level of play than D-League, so I don't think it's right to say summer league is just summer league and then get all excited about what he did in D-League. But I guess we'll find out if your optimism is based in reality or not. I hope Mahinmi is a stud.

I forgot what Bruno thought about Elson before the Spurs signed him. Hopefully he wasn't hyping him up, too. Let me do a quick search . . .

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Bruno you are overrated

1st. you did not posted a pic
2nd. you messing with timvp
3rd there is no third

:depressed

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I see Elson as a serviceable big man and I think that he will be a good fit with Duncan.

On the offensive end : His midrange jumpshoot will be money with Duncan in the post.

Same thing we heard about Rasho. Truth is at most he'll attempt one or two jumpers a game and will hit about 40% of them. That doesn't do much.

On the defensive end : His speed will help him to play decent man 2 man defense. 90% of the time our center defend the opposite PF and not the opposite C.

He may be faster than your average bigman but that is negated by being uncoordinated and having a low basketball IQ.

If he can be a decent rebounder (at least better than Rasho), he will be a valuable role player.

Rasho is a better rebounder.

Scary, I know.

Add to that, that he is not old, injury prone and has no attitude troubles and for $6M/2 years (Potapenko received that contract last summer and I take Elson over Potapenko), I'm sold on him.

I'd take an NBDL player for the minimum over Elson. Elson is a has been who never was anything. Throwing away more than half of the MLE on him is insane.

Elson is a way better jumpshooter tahn Rasho.

Not really. They both shot between 34-38% on jumpers their whole career. Last season, Elson bumped that up to 42%. Career-wise, they are about the same.

Let him open at 16-18ft and he will hit more than 50% of his jumpshoot and score 10-12pts.

10-12 points a game? A season?

First of all he won't hit 50%. Second of all, it's proven in the Spurs' system that a center with a midrange jumper doesn't get more than 1 or 2 of those shots a game. At most, the threat of being able to hit a wide open 15 footer is what counts.

You don't need to be Einstein to play good man 2 man defense. His low BBIQ will hurt him more for team defense and Duncan is here to help him.

Duncan will also be there to pick up fouls. Nazr was a good man-to-man defender but a poor team defender. In the end, his poor team defense made Spurs fans and Pop want to kill him.

The Spurs' defense is built on team defense. If you can't rotate well, you won't play.

I think that Elson will be a rebounder in SA than in Denver (like Rasho when he comes in SA from Minny).

Nazr and Raso's rebounding rates stayed pretty much the same. Perhaps Elson all of a sudden becomes a better rebounder than Rasho, but that is just hope.

That's your opinion, mine is that it's a good signing.
Only future will tel who is right and who is wrong (if Denver doesn't match).

Yeah, we'll see I guess. I must warn you that timvp is rarely wrong when it comes to pointing out bad free agent signings.

Ouch. Sometimes it sucks being right. :depressed

"That's your opinion, mine is that Elson is a good signing. Only future will tel who is right and who is wrong." - Bruno

Was timvp right are will you be able to dance around it? :)

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:49 PM
Ouch. Sometimes it sucks being right. :depressed

"That's your opinion, mine is that Elson is a good signing. Only future will tel who is right and who is wrong." - Bruno

Was timvp right are will you be able to dance around it? :)

Elson was a decent bigman in SA.
I was right, you was wrong. Deal with that.

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Damn, timvp was almost exactly right on each point. Impressive.

Unfortunately.

Trainwreck2100
08-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Without Elson we don't get Thomas

timvp
08-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Without Elson we don't get ThomasGood point. That fifth championship the Spurs won last year would have been impossible without the Thomas acquisition.

angelbelow
08-08-2008, 07:54 PM
cool

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:55 PM
:lmao @ timvp trying to nitpicking on Elson.

Spurs split the MLE during that summer on Elson and Butler.

You called Butler "the best FA signing since Bowen" and Elson a scrub. You then flip flop like a madman on Elson.
I said that Elson was a serviceable bigman and I wasn't sold on butler.

I was light years more accurate than you that summer.

urunobili
08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
i really thought Bruno was WAY better than this with his basketball scouting skills... it may be that he is french and he is having a crush with him as all Argies have with Manu... unconceivable... i had him rated smarter than what this thread indicates...

polandprzem
08-08-2008, 07:57 PM
I like the "light years" phrase

Yup - wasn't timvp high on Jackie?

hehe

Bruno
08-08-2008, 07:58 PM
i really thought Bruno was WAY better than this with his basketball scouting skills... it may be that he is french and he is having a crush with him as all Argies have with Manu... unconceivable... i had him rated smarter than what this thread indicates...

Pablo Lemoine was a good player.

Happy, now ?

T Park
08-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Good point. That fifth championship the Spurs won last year would have been impossible without the Thomas acquisition.

Yet the fourth wouldn't have been possible without Elson.

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:01 PM
:lmao @ timvp trying to nitpicking on Elson.Saying someone will suck and spelling out exactly how they will suck and being right = nitpicking?

Spurs split the MLE during that summer on Elson and Butler.

You called Butler "the best FA signing since Bowen" and Elson a scrub.You were also happy with Butler's signing. I said all along Butler could suck but for as cheaply as the Spurs signed him, he was well worth the risk. I didn't foresee him giving up on the sport of basketball after getting his first pay day.

You then flip flop like a madman on Elson.I thought I was wrong after his first game as a Spur. I wasn't because that was the best game he ever had.

I said that Elson was a serviceable bigman and I wasn't sold on butler.Lie. You said Elson would be good and you like the Butler signing because you liked his potential.

I was light years more accurate than you that summer.Yeah, Mr. Oberto-sucks-we-should-dump-him.

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Wait, Splitter isn't coming?

whottt
08-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Francisco Elson:
1 season with Spurs
1 Championship
1 All Time TimVP Owning

Kurt (the golden scrub) Thomas?
*crickets chirping*

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Yet the fourth wouldn't have been possible without Elson.What did Elson do other than go from a starter to the fourth big in record time during that playoff run?

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Francisco Elson:
1 season with Spurs
1 Championship
1 All Time TimVP Owningtimvp owned himself for mistakingly thinking timvp was wrong after one game.

Kurt (the golden scrub) Thomas?
*crickets chirping*True he may have surpassed Vaughn as the most overrated player on the team.

Bruno
http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1114905&postcount=10

:rollin

Trainwreck2100
What did Elson do other than go from a starter to the fourth big in record time during that playoff run?

Rested the big men during the season for said playoff run?

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:07 PM

:rollinI said from the beginning it was a gamble. He gave up on basketball after getting his millions. Can't really blame lack of scouting when a player just gives up.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106660&postcount=27

:lmao

Bruno
08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Saying someone will suck and spelling out exactly how they will suck and being right = nitpicking?

Check Elson rebounding numbers...

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:08 PM
Rested the big men during the season for said playoff run?And that is something only Elson could have done?

manufor3
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM

:lol

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Check Elson rebounding numbers...They were still worse than Rasho's, which is what I said.

Trainwreck2100
08-08-2008, 08:10 PM
And that is something only Elson could have done?

If Elson didn't disappear, and if he played like crap the whole season then they other big guys would have played and not been rested.

Bruno
08-08-2008, 08:11 PM
I said from the beginning it was a gamble. He gave up on basketball after getting his millions. Can't really blame lack of scouting when a player just gives up.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1106660&postcount=27

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:13 PM

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1977269&postcount=10

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1231_hysterically_laughing.gif

Bruno
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
They were still worse than Rasho's, which is what I said.

Way to twist things. Rasho was a bad re bounder in his last year in SA. Elson did a better job than Rasho and than what eh did in Denver.

Kori Ellis
08-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Elson sucked.
Butler sucked.
Who cares - neither of them helped or hurt the Spurs win a Championship.

Hopefully Mahinmi doesn't suck. And the Spurs probably still need another big.

Bruno
08-08-2008, 08:17 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1977269&postcount=10

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/1231_hysterically_laughing.gif

Check what he ahs done in D-League and SL. He is still raw but is on the right way.

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Way to twist things. Rasho was a bad re bounder in his last year in SA. Elson did a better job than Rasho and than what eh did in Denver.Elson improved but was still worse than Rasho's second worst season on the Spurs. Improving to a point below Rasho's career rebounding numbers on the Spurs isn't exactly a momentous breakthrough.

He may be faster than your average bigman but that is negated by being uncoordinated and having a low basketball IQ.

That one sentence ended up being the perfect description of Elson. Picture perfect, actually.

polandprzem
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Rotflmaolol

Brutalis
08-08-2008, 08:19 PM
Elson helped us win a title, I don't see how it's the other way around. If there was no Elson giving Rasho rest then who? Horry? Nah.

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Elson helped us win a title, I don't see how it's the other way around. If there was no Elson giving Rasho rest then who? Horry? Nah.I rest my case.

Bruno
08-08-2008, 08:27 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/spurs/mahinmi_200_070823.jpg
The key to number five.

timvp
08-08-2008, 08:29 PM
http://spurstalk.com/the-savior.jpg

Sincerely,

May

Spurs da champs
08-08-2008, 08:32 PM
You all failt to realize he is going to suck?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2008, 08:43 PM
You all failt to realize he is going to suck?
He isn't.

pad300
08-08-2008, 08:47 PM
Elson improved but was still worse than Rasho's second worst season on the Spurs. Improving to a point below Rasho's career rebounding numbers on the Spurs isn't exactly a momentous breakthrough.

That one sentence ended up being the perfect description of Elson. Picture perfect, actually.

Interesting perspective you have... From Basketball-reference.com
Elson had 2 seasons with the spurs, posting rebound rates of 15.2% and 14.9% (partial season while he was with SAS). To split it further into OReb% and DReb% 06/07 7.7% 22% 07/08 7.4% 22.2%

Rasho had 3 seasons posting rebound rates of 15.0%, 15%, and 12.1%. Going into OReb% 12.4% 12.0% 9.1% and Dreb% 17.6% 18% 14.8%.

Both of them got worse over their time with the Spurs. I'd call them about tied overall, except for Rasho's last year... Elson's rebounding wasn't really a problem. It was that he couldn't understand what to do on the court in our defense.

texbound
08-08-2008, 08:52 PM
It doesn't matter now whether Ian is a stud because the Spurs

have the rebounding and scoring machine in Maggette, wait.....

have a potential league MVP in Splitter, wait.......

have the steal of the draft in James Gist, wait......

might get Pargo

urunobili
08-08-2008, 09:29 PM
He isn't.

sig bet?

T Park
08-08-2008, 10:23 PM
What did Elson do other than go from a starter to the fourth big in record time during that playoff run?

He contributed in his ways.

I don't know what you want from all of this.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2008, 11:00 PM
sig bet?

Sure. Name it.

Spurs da champs
08-09-2008, 02:08 AM
He isn't.
The guy does ok against other d leaguers does that mean he is ready to play in the big league? No, not imo.

Bruno
08-09-2008, 05:18 AM
Oh and timvp going after me because I've given up on Oberto is quite funny.
With his selective memory, he has forgotten that he wanted to trade him for Chucky Atkins. :rollin

Indazone
08-09-2008, 08:43 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Mahinmi is going to be a stud. He won't get much playing time initially but wait until December when he's worked into the offense and gets comfortable playing with Duncan. He'll get 10-15 min a game and end up averaging 8 pts 5 rebounds. It's his amazing PER numbers that have me thinking this way.

Landry also had a crappy summer league last year but his athleticism and basketball skills kicked in after he learned the offense and the trainers had a go at him. Started destroying everyone in practice and Adleman started playing him a lot more. I see Mahinmi as an even greater potential talent. He'll get into the games later in the year. I expect him to develop in time during practices with the team and when the NBA athletic training staff gets to him to improve his strength and conditioning.

Mahinmi should be a great slashing and dunking type player in the low post.

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 09:01 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Mahinmi is going to be a stud. He won't get much playing time initially but wait until December when he's worked into the offense and gets comfortable playing with Duncan. He'll get 10-15 min a game and end up averaging 8 pts 5 rebounds. It's his amazing PER numbers that have me thinking this way.

Landry also had a crappy summer league last year but his athleticism and basketball skills kicked in after he learned the offense and the trainers had a go at him. Started destroying everyone in practice and Adleman started playing him a lot more. I see Mahinmi as an even greater potential talent. He'll get into the games later in the year. I expect him to develop in time during practices with the team and when the NBA athletic training staff gets to him to improve his strength and conditioning.

Mahinmi should be a great slashing and dunking type player in the low post.

I dont really wanna dispute anything you say after that sig youve graced us with,

But... his PER numbers are based of about 10 minutes... TOTAL, in the entire NBA season, really no indication.

I dont expect much out of him this season, i would be happy with 10-15 minutes and about 6 points and 5 rebounds and a spark off the bench.... and then see how he goes from there.

Splitter is by far the better player now, but down the road Mahinmi has the chance to be better... but if i would pick between the two, in terms of now and career wise, i would take Splitter.

DROB4EVER
08-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Ian can be a dominate player if he continues to improve. What we saw in summer leauge was not a good indicator of where he is in his developmen.

Im sure he was told to work on certain game moves and to play at less than 100% effort to not get hurt. I was shocked he was such a poor shot blocker this summer that I went to find some video from him in D Leauge and France.

He looked 3 times the player in those videos, where he was basically sleepwalking in summer leauge. They just wanted him to get some run this summer at walk through speed.

The video I have seen of him he looks like a more athletic version of Aldridge form portland. I saw a guy who can put the ball on the floor from 17ft and get to the rim consistantly and do so smoothly. A guy who was following teammates misses with dunks. And a very good shot blocker.

The only negitives I saw, he looked to foul to much and when he is in the paint sometimes he used to many moves and got jammed up with his defender or would get called for traveling.

Several GMs believe he will be a 20ppg 10rpg 2 blk guy in a couple years.

Put this guy with Splitter in 2 yrs and you have a great front court. I dont think Splitterr is as athletic nor is he likely to be the better scorer, but I can see him averaging 15ppg 9 rpb and a block or two.

Hopefully Gist will become a good 3 and in 2010 we can land a big time 2 or wing player and send Duncan into retirement with our first repeat championships!!

tmtcsc
08-09-2008, 01:17 PM
Here's to hoping Ian doesn't suck..But dude has been nowhere near what I expected. In fact, compared to my expectations after 3 friggin years, I'd say he blows.

He hasn't dominated anyone.

mrspurs
08-09-2008, 05:38 PM
wasnt ian in uniform during this past season at some point? ill say this if ian is a stud, then id be willing to bet my fishing spot, pop would have had him on the court playing non-stop (yelling and jelling at him from the start to the end of the season) just like he did another french player named tony parker.(and imo tonys position is much harder to learn on an nba court) i cant say bad things about french players cos my wife is french and i stay away from making my wife angry. so dont quote me on this.........ian=waste of time (ive personally watched ian since the spurs grabbed him, he might have gotten a little quicker on his foot work, but he aint got much of a brain when he gets the ball) by the time ian becomes a stud, tim and manu will be gone or sitting with david. ian is no tony parker=stud..........most young players would have crumbled by pops non-stop pounding, tony took it well enough to keep on keeping on...all the way to a finals mvp

itzsoweezee
08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
pop isn't exactly a great developer of young talent (just like his mentor, that piece of shit larry brown). we're just lucky pop didn't fuck tony up.

ElNono
08-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Mahinmi is ready..... to go back to the Toros

ivanfromwestwood
08-09-2008, 06:20 PM
ian looked like shit because he was pretty much playing in a pick up game in the summer league. he has been learning all the spurs plays with the toros. i expect him to play alot better in the system he knows. you cant teach bb iq but you can teach set plays and defensive rotations. he will be fine. i thought he played good last year early on based on hustle.

td4mvp21
08-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Ian sucks, just like Hill and the rest of our team :dramaquee

MannyIsGod
08-09-2008, 08:13 PM
Ian seems to be the type of player that learns best by being thrown into the fire. Sadly those seem to be the exact players Pop doesn't usually give much of a chance to develop quickly so I doubt Ian does much this year. I was pretty unimpressed in SL because he was pretty damn bad.

That being said, if he gets lots of playing time early in the season then I could see him developing faster than most here anticipate which would be a good thing. Its on Pop to give him time.

z0sa
08-09-2008, 08:35 PM
With the resigning of kt, we might need a miracle to get Pop playing this kid more than 15 mins a game. The question is, can we survive with a bigman rotation of Kt/oberto? If not, Pop throws him into the fray.

If we go on another 17-3 start, Ian might be screwed.

lotr1trekkie
08-09-2008, 09:29 PM
J ET S , Jets, Jets, Jets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ivanfromwestwood
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
ian is still a baby. give him two years in the spurs system. he will be solid.

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Ian can be a dominate player if he continues to improve. What we saw in summer leauge was not a good indicator of where he is in his developmen.

Im sure he was told to work on certain game moves and to play at less than 100% effort to not get hurt. I was shocked he was such a poor shot blocker this summer that I went to find some video from him in D Leauge and France.

He looked 3 times the player in those videos, where he was basically sleepwalking in summer leauge. They just wanted him to get some run this summer at walk through speed.

The video I have seen of him he looks like a more athletic version of Aldridge form portland. I saw a guy who can put the ball on the floor from 17ft and get to the rim consistantly and do so smoothly. A guy who was following teammates misses with dunks. And a very good shot blocker.

The only negitives I saw, he looked to foul to much and when he is in the paint sometimes he used to many moves and got jammed up with his defender or would get called for traveling.

Several GMs believe he will be a 20ppg 10rpg 2 blk guy in a couple years.

Put this guy with Splitter in 2 yrs and you have a great front court. I dont think Splitterr is as athletic nor is he likely to be the better scorer, but I can see him averaging 15ppg 9 rpb and a block or two.

Hopefully Gist will become a good 3 and in 2010 we can land a big time 2 or wing player and send Duncan into retirement with our first repeat championships!!

I think he would struggle to put up those numbers if he continued to play in the D-League. He has alot of potential, but even he does pan out, predicting those numbers for someone who hasnt done anything in the league isnt the most re-assuring.