PDA

View Full Version : Time for Tim to Officially Move to Center?

wildbill2u
08-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Isn't Center Tim's best and true position now? After all, his game has changed since he came in the league and he plays the position a lot of minutes.

I googled "Top NBA Centers" and Tim was ranked #1 center by a lot of folks at different websites, stating the obvious. So should we bolster the PF position and move Tim to starting at his natural position on the depth chart?

Does this expose one of our problems--the depth/talent at the combined C and PF positions? Once you get past Duncan, Oberto and Thomas as interchangeable pieces at the two positions, we really don't have much proven talent. I wonder if Mahimi could play some PF or be retrained for it? He's mobile and a little underweight for the center spot.

Centers: Duncan, Oberto, Mahimi
PFs: Thomas, Bonner, Tolliver.

Indazone
08-09-2008, 10:18 AM
The only reason he's listed as a PF is so he won't come in second behind Yao in the All-Star voting :lol

Texas_Ranger
08-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Tim had more votes than Yao this year.

Indazone
08-09-2008, 10:36 AM
Not if he were listed as a Center.

TDMVPDPOY
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
i demand a trade if i was him,

Bruno
08-09-2008, 11:20 AM
In Spurs' system the PF and C spot are quite interchangeable.

However, there is still a difference on the defensive end. One of the big has to guard the opposite PF and the other the opposite C. Duncan mainly guard opposite C, so you can call him a "center".

Duncan, Thomas and Oberto is a solid bigman rotation but all three are quite slow to very slow and against some teams this rotation simply don't work. Spurs will need to have a big with the ability to guard quick/perimeter oriented bigs that have killed Spurs like Dirk and David West.

Oberto and Tolliver are too limited on the defensive end to be that guy. With Gist gone, Mahinmi is the only hope to be that guy.

duncan228
08-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Whatever he may do on the court, Duncan doesn't want to be called a center. He wants to be called a power forward. As Pop has said, just call him what he wants to be called (a happy Duncan is a good thing).

BronxCowboy
08-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Whatever he may do on the court, Duncan doesn't want to be called a center. He wants to be called a power forward. As Pop has said, just call him what he wants to be called (a happy Duncan is a good thing).

:tu It doesn't really matter what you call him. Duncan has been playing primarily center since Rasho didn't pan out. He's the only center on the current roster, but if he says he's a power forward or if he says he's a zebra, I'll go along with it.

wildbill2u
08-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Everything y'all have said doesn't change the fact that our three man rotation/depth, especially without Horry, isn't very impressive once you get past Tim.

Oberto and Thomas are aging slow players who aren't really first class. If I were Pop, I'd be tearing my hair out trying to parcel out the minutes and the matchups.

This is why we have to resort to small ball a lot when the matchups don't work. And it's not like we're deep in great small ball players.

Indazone
08-09-2008, 12:16 PM
This is why I said had the Spurs gotten Scola it would have been another Championship team. You just play Timmy at Center, put Scola at PF and Bowen at SF. For some sets just for fun, you could put Oberto at Center, Tim at PF, and Scola at SF.

You could have done that with Splitter too.

ahh what might have been. :toast

kobyz
08-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Tim is PF for life

ChumpDumper
08-09-2008, 02:07 PM
Let's just call him a shooting guard. That wouldn't change anything either.

duncan228
08-09-2008, 02:23 PM
Let's just call him a shooting guard. That wouldn't change anything either.

If we're going there we should call him a point guard. He wanted to be Magic when he was learning the game.

Man In Black
08-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Tim is a POST :)

ChumpDumper
08-09-2008, 02:31 PM
If we're going there we should call him a point guard. He wanted to be Magic when he was learning the game.We would finally have someone to back up Tony.

TheMadHatter
08-09-2008, 02:38 PM
Center on defense, PF on offense.

Indazone
08-09-2008, 02:48 PM
If Duncan is a PF then Hakeem is the greatest PF ever.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-09-2008, 03:11 PM

And if he isn't then who is?

Texas_Ranger
08-09-2008, 03:11 PM

WRONG!

itzsoweezee
08-09-2008, 04:21 PM
imagine if the spurs had an athletic big man that could score, other than duncan. if only they had been lucky enough to have drafted the best big man in europe.

mrspurs
08-09-2008, 04:32 PM
i think eveyone has it wrong so far..........timmy is the best biggest point guard in the league, he's been practicing at catching the ball down in the paint and finding open players all around the court it seems since david retired.......true centers imo dont pass the ball, they slam the ball in the rim

mystargtr34
08-09-2008, 10:08 PM
This is why I said had the Spurs gotten Scola it would have been another Championship team. You just play Timmy at Center, put Scola at PF and Bowen at SF. For some sets just for fun, you could put Oberto at Center, Tim at PF, and Scola at SF.

You could have done that with Splitter too.

ahh what might have been. :toast

Only problem with that is, Scola might be a WORSE defender than Oberto, and hes also an inch shorter... so im not sure how that would pan out.

Having said that, i still hate the trade to this day, and you guys got a really good player - no doubt.

The only way ill feel good about the trade is if Spanoulis comes over, and more importantly, when Splitter comes over.

I dont think the Spurs keep Splitter if they didnt trade Scola, so well have to wait and see on that one, i havent given up hope since hes still only 22.

raspsa
08-09-2008, 10:39 PM
:lol:lol
Center on defense, PF on offense.

That's a disturbing pic of Artest.. looks like something hanging between his legs..:lol:lol

angelbelow
08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
doesnt really matter, we play small ball in the closing moments anyway.

z0sa
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
:lol:lol

That's a disturbing pic of Artest.. looks like something hanging between his legs..:lol:lol

:lmao

I never caught that til you said something ... :lmao

200 miles
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM
i cant wait for Mahinmi to have a promising, if not great, rookie season as a CENTER to finally turn some heads here

wildbill2u
08-10-2008, 10:34 AM
doesnt really matter, we play small ball in the closing moments anyway.

We're FORCED to go small because of matchup problem with our big men against virtually all the playoff teams. Thomas' minutes actually dropped after the first round.

Despite Nellieball, basketball is still a big man's game.