PDA

View Full Version : Is there still a chance that Gist stays with the Spurs?

Tully365
08-09-2008, 01:01 PM
From today's Jeff McDonald column:

"An Italian Web site reported Friday that James Gist, the Spurs’ second-rounder from Maryland, had agreed to a deal with a team in Italy. A Spurs source said Gist has not yet signed with any team overseas, leaving open the possibility he still could begin next season in San Antonio.

If Gist were to sign with a foreign team, the Spurs would retain his NBA rights."

Anyone have any info? I'm still crossing my fingers that Gist might be on the opening day roster.

xtremesteven33
08-09-2008, 01:13 PM
theres still a chance but nothing to get worried about.

well do fine with him or without him

DROB4EVER
08-09-2008, 01:27 PM
Having him if he will play would be nice but if he turns out to be a good player we will most likely lose him in 2010. Giving him a chance to grow and play over seas while keeping his rights wouldnt be a bad idea.

Part of me wants him now because we are weak at the 3 and he could help, but I think he will turn out to be a steal in this draft and I wouldnt want to lose out on him in 2010 when we would let him walk so we could sign other teams free agents.

I think a year or two over seas is a good idea provided he will come back to us by then.

Tully365
08-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Having him if he will play would be nice but if he turns out to be a good player we will most likely lose him in 2010. Giving him a chance to grow and play over seas while keeping his rights wouldnt be a bad idea.

Part of me wants him now because we are weak at the 3 and he could help, but I think he will turn out to be a steal in this draft and I wouldnt want to lose out on him in 2010 when we would let him walk so we could sign other teams free agents.

I think a year or two over seas is a good idea provided he will come back to us by then.

I really think the strategy of letting guys develop in Europe is coming to a permanent change, or at least to a point where it needs to be seriously reevaluated. If Gist goes to Europe and "develops" every euro-team will have a front row seat to watch his progress and be willing and able to offer him NBA-type money to stay... with the financial realities of global basketball, the "stash him in europe for a year" approach has become much riskier, especially now that guys like Kobe, Melo, Lebron, Boozer, etc., are all on record saying they would consider playing there for the right price. If this trend continues at the current pace, Europe will be what the ABA was to the NBA in the early 70s: a major competitor. The NBA eventually won that battle, but they might not be so lucky this time.

ChumpDumper
08-09-2008, 02:09 PM
It would be stupid not to sign him this season.

That said, he won't be signed this season.

JPB
08-09-2008, 03:25 PM
Gist signing isn't on Angelico Biella website yet.

Latest news is from 08-08...

johnny_J_Jackson
08-09-2008, 05:07 PM
No Chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................no God!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Hates Spurs Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bartleby
08-09-2008, 05:39 PM
No Chance!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....................no God!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Hates Spurs Fans!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another year, but the same old shit from the fans of the perennial first-round Rockettes.

First they were jacking each other off b/c they thought Yao was going to take them all the way. Then it was b/c of the addition of T-Mac, then Stromile Swift, then Scola, and now Artest. What a fucking joke.

johnny_J_Jackson
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
and you look like you take it up the ass bartleby.

Tully365
08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
and you look like you take it up the ass bartleby.

Ah, the standard redneck homophobe comeback. Nice.

SenorSpur
08-10-2008, 08:10 AM
I really think the strategy of letting guys develop in Europe is coming to a permanent change, or at least to a point where it needs to be seriously reevaluated. If Gist goes to Europe and "develops" every euro-team will have a front row seat to watch his progress and be willing and able to offer him NBA-type money to stay... with the financial realities of global basketball, the "stash him in europe for a year" approach has become much riskier, especially now that guys like Kobe, Melo, Lebron, Boozer, etc., are all on record saying they would consider playing there for the right price. If this trend continues at the current pace, Europe will be what the ABA was to the NBA in the early 70s: a major competitor. The NBA eventually won that battle, but they might not be so lucky this time.

:tu

exstatic
08-10-2008, 09:40 AM

Every Euroleague team doesn't have that kind of money, and the ones that do are going to target top players, not developing second rounders. I also think that many of the players who say they'd play in Europe are getting statements on record for contract leverage.

Let's keep this in perspective. The NBA has lost one sixth man candidate, a highly recruited HS phenom, and some euros that went back. That's it.

|AiE|illuzioN
08-10-2008, 11:00 AM
sign him or fail.

Tully365
08-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Every Euroleague team doesn't have that kind of money, and the ones that do are going to target top players, not developing second rounders. I also think that many of the players who say they'd play in Europe are getting statements on record for contract leverage.

Let's keep this in perspective. The NBA has lost one sixth man candidate, a highly recruited HS phenom, and some euros that went back. That's it.

I think I am keeping it in perspective. You can't sum up the Euro-teams by saying they won't target developing second rounders. They'll target anyone they can that can help them win games. They've targeted second rounders in the past and will do so even more in the future. One year ago, there was not talk coming from the top stars in the NBA about possibly playing in Europe someday-- now it's a topic of discussion that all the big stars are participating in. You can write it off as nothing or minimize it all you want, but I think a fundamental change is underway.