PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs to hear from Malone soon

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 03:14 AM
Spurs to hear from Malone soon
Web Posted: 02/06/2005 10:13 PM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA020705.1D.malone.822523f5.html

The Spurs may find out by the end of the week whether Karl Malone will be joining the team this season.

Malone told a California newspaper on Sunday he's close to making a decision on whether to sign a free-agent contract with the Spurs and resume his 19-year NBA career. Malone became a free agent in July while in the process of rehabilitating a knee injured while playing for the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals.

Malone addressed the situation with the Spurs the morning after a Saturday meeting with Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and forward Tim Duncan over dinner in San Antonio.

Malone described the meeting as enjoyable and candid.

"I asked them some straight-up questions," Malone told the Riverside Press-Enterprise, "and I got straight-up answers. I'm going to talk it over with my wife (on Sunday) and have a decision by the end of the week."

The Spurs have made no secret of their interest in signing Malone.

Popovich said the Saturday meeting was arranged because Malone's desire to play has grown in recent weeks as his knee began to get stronger. He said Malone looked to be in great shape, perhaps even thinner than when he played last season for the Lakers.

Malone reassured Popovich during the meeting that he would not sign with any team unless he believed he was physically able to play effectively.

"(We told him) we don't want him to come in and rehab for two months and be able to play four minutes a game," Popovich said. "He was very honest and said, 'I have no intention of doing anything close to that. I wouldn't think of coming back if that's all I could do.'

"He's feeling real good about the knee and just has to decide if he's got the juice to continue to do this. He's not a halfway guy. He doesn't want to do this until he's going to give it his all and really be into it, mentally. He's just too much (of) a team guy to do it any other way."

Popovich said he tried to ease concerns expressed by Malone that his presence might harm the Spurs' team chemistry.

"He doesn't want to disrupt anything," Popovich said. "He doesn't want people to be mad at him. He wants to feel welcome. He wants to be part of it, because he's beginning to get the fire for it as his knee gets healthy. But he doesn't want to screw anything up."

After 18 seasons with the Utah Jazz, Malone endured a soap opera last season with the Lakers, whose biggest stars, Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, feuded almost all season.

"I don't know (if we eased his fears)," Popovich said. "We told him those were all great concerns. But we've got great people and I think everybody would handle it because of the class he has and the player he is, if he could play."

Popovich said it was important that he and Duncan get to know Malone better before deciding to add him to a team that owns the NBA's best record this season.

"He's a wonderful guy, even though he's been our archrival all these years," Popovich said. "He's a good man and we had a good time. (It was) a familiarity thing, get to know each other and see what he's thinking, see what the Spurs are thinking and see if it's a fit, see if it makes sense. We'll take a little time and reflect on the meeting and figure out what's going to happen."

Popovich said he is pleased to hear Malone's promise to make a decision by the end of the week.

"There probably should be a deadline," Popovich said, "a point at which this just doesn't make sense — and we're getting close. Exactly what day that is I don't know. But we're getting close."

Kaster
02-07-2005, 03:20 AM
I can't believe Malone has waited this long. Would he not feel cheap and guilty if he won a championship after joining the best team in the league with more than half the season over with? Does Evil know no bounds? :angel

timvp
02-07-2005, 03:25 AM
The Drama Queen is lining it up so that he's the talk of the NBA All-Star break. It's all a big show and sadly, Spurs fans are buying it hook, line and sinker.

Karl Malone will go watch a few rodeo events and then San Antonio will love him while Entertainment Tonight and Celebrity Justice park outside the sheep barn wanting pictures of the conquering hero who is shaking off a knee injury for one last run at a title.

:shootme

TheWriter
02-07-2005, 03:31 AM
while Entertainment Tonight and Celebrity Justice park outside the sheep barn wanting pictures of the conquering hero who is shaking off a knee injury for one last run at a title.

I hope you don't honestly believe that. Sure, his signing will get some coverage from ESPN and what not, TNT will talk about it. But this isn't big news in the world of celebrity my friend.

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Of course it was a joke. Celebrity Justice is for court cases.

timvp
02-07-2005, 03:33 AM
Yeah, I was just kidding. Ironically enough, I was doing it for the drama.

Get used to it.

TheWriter
02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
What drama though?

I've never known Malone as being "dramatic" when he was with the Jazz. The guy joined the As The World Turns of the NBA last season. Drama didn't follow him, he followed drama.

I think the dude is sincere in saying he wants to return at 100%, that he doesn't want to disrupt the chemistry of the team, etc.

However, the only drama he'll bring is a enhanced shot at a ring. Like it or not, best case scenario with Malone, we're "better." Worst case, he's at the end of the bench for 30 games not including playoffs.

usckk
02-07-2005, 03:54 AM
How many times has Malone said "I will make a decision by the end of this week." To many times. I'm not buying into this. He's not playing.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-07-2005, 03:56 AM
The one question i have is.... If Karl Malone signs.... how will the fans react? will they boo??

I am for signing Malone, and he would be my least favorite spur but i wouldnt boo him... i would accept him as a spurs

timvp
02-07-2005, 03:56 AM
Worst case, he's at the end of the bench for 30 games not including playoffs.

:lmao :lmao

No way in hell Pop puts him on the bench. He's coming here to play, good or bad. There's a better chance of Sequ making the Spurs within the next week than Pop giving Malone a DNP-CD when he joins.

Let's be real.

usckk
02-07-2005, 03:57 AM
Who do you think the Spurs will waive if he does come?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
02-07-2005, 04:01 AM
I would think Wilks or Sato

Mark in Austin
02-07-2005, 04:08 AM
I've never known Malone as being "dramatic" when he was with the Jazz.

You don't remember the seven or eight "falling outs" he had with Larry Miller over the years? You don't remember the tirade he went on when he was hosting that ellay radio show one summer?

How about tearing up the pinata at hemisphere?

It's ok to want Malone on the team. But lets be real about who and what he is.

xcoriate
02-07-2005, 04:18 AM
Let it begin......

Again

mattyc
02-07-2005, 04:21 AM
"He doesn't want people to be mad at him. He wants to feel welcome. He wants to be part of it, because he's beginning to get the fire for it as his knee gets healthy.
Oh goody.

But he doesn't want to screw anything up."

Because we are already on track for the championship without him, and he doesn't want to screw up his chance to ride the coattails?

Kori Ellis
02-07-2005, 07:10 AM
Hopefully the saga just ends this week, either way.

I'm so sick of hearing how he is going to decide "this week". I thought he was going to decide before the end of the year, January 1st, January 10th, February 1st ... blahblah.

I don't really mind if he comes or doesn't come. I just think if they are still waiting for his decision for more than another week or so, it's going to become a distraction to the other players as they head into the stretch run of the season. Health and focus are key.

xcoriate
02-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Hopefully the saga just ends this week, either way.

I'm so sick of hearing how he is going to decide "this week". I thought he was going to decide before the end of the year, January 1st, January 10th, February 1st ... blahblah.

I don't really mind if he comes or doesn't come. I just think if they are still waiting for his decision for more than another week or so, it's going to become a distraction to the other players as they head into the stretch run of the season. Health and focus are key.

Thats exactly my stance I can live with him, and I can live without him. Either way I think the championship is ours to lose.

Walton Buys Off Me
02-07-2005, 07:36 AM
Hey timvp, do you who Rodney Harrison is? Or what he stands for? He's the kind of player this Spurs team sorely lacks. Karl Malone is a tough, no-nonsense son-of-a-bitch. Do you think for one second thugs like Danny Fortson and Jerome James would take cheap shots at Duncan or Ginobili with Karl Fucking Malone standing next to them? Malone would put Fortson in a dress, drop his ass off on a street corner, then come back and collect his money.

The fact that we're debating whether or not Karl would help the team is insane and childish- let it go man. I'm the biggest David Robinson fan that ever lived but if someone can help my team in any way towards securing a title, then who the fuck cares about grudges?

P.S. The only drama I'm reading is coming from you.

BronxCowboy
02-07-2005, 07:52 AM
To hell with Evil. Fucking attention whore. Of course I'll boo him if he signs.

Rummpd
02-07-2005, 10:00 AM
NO, NEIN, NYET, HASTA LA VISTA BABY, ADIOS, HELL *&

He had his great chance last 5-6 games to truly help Spurs and for next 2-3 while Duncan and Rasho get well and did not, now he could be potentially disruptive with only 34 games left.

MadDoc

Jdspur20
02-07-2005, 10:09 AM
"I asked them some straight-up questions," Malone told the Riverside Press-Enterprise, "and I got straight-up answers. I'm going to talk it over with my wife (on Sunday) and have a decision by the end of the week."

make a decision you freaking idiot!!!!!!! i have never seen a player drag a decision out longer than him. at this point really, i could care less wether he signs or not, i just want W's on the spurs calander.

SPARKY
02-07-2005, 11:34 AM
Honestly, the Spurs could address the interior toughness issue in their frontcourt by playing more of Rose and Massenburg and less of Nesterovic and Horry in certain situations.

In my mind, the best argument for adding Malone, even at this late juncture, is that Pop will actually play him when things get physical in the playoffs. The counter, though, is that teams will then try to run on the Spurs and force 57 year old Karl Malone to put his knee through a lot of work.

Still, come postseason it's likely that the game will slow down and given how stubborn Pop is with the postseason rotation, one can't help but find themselves amenable to the idea of the Spurs adding Malone.

airjer15
02-07-2005, 11:58 AM
at the age of 40 Malone is in better shape than most of the players in the league. Malone is a leader and he is hungry. Although your 80% chances of winning a championship are good, a 95% chance would be better. Forgive the prodical son. Lets play ball

T Park
02-07-2005, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE]Malone would put Fortson in a dress, drop his ass off on a street corner, then come back and collect his money.
[QUOTE]

Me and walton dont see eye to eye on alot of stuff but his comments about Malone being there to back up his teammates are spot on.

And the above comment is easily the funniest thing Ive EVER read in this forum. LMAO.