PDA

View Full Version : The Old Paultz Play

dbestpro
08-09-2008, 05:34 PM
When Billy Paultz played center the Spurs had a great play designed just for him. Billy couldn't jump but he was a good rebounder. He would let his defender get in front of him. The guard would throw the ball off the back board to a wide open Paultz. This play worked time and time again. I could see Oberto doing this a couple times a game or even as a way to punish an over aggressive defender on Timmy.

Just something to think about as we grind through the summer.:wakeup

bigfan
08-09-2008, 05:35 PM
The WHOPPER!

mrspurs
08-09-2008, 05:48 PM
i remember the whopper like it was yesterday, still have his autograph on a popcorn box, along side,larry,mark the monster,allen,coby and of course the ice

ShoogarBear
08-09-2008, 05:59 PM
When was the last time you saw somebody front Tim Duncan?

SenorSpur
08-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Can't ever have too many references to the Whopper!

Solid D
08-09-2008, 06:18 PM

I know you aren't asking me, but Boris Diaw did it last year. That was the last one I recall.

Paultz had very long arms and good hands. The backboard pass is not a bad idea. Some of Robert Horry's shots last season looked like backboard passes, even though they weren't.

Capt Bringdown
08-09-2008, 08:31 PM
Yup, I remember that. That's the kind of flair and creativity that the ABA brought into the NBA. I'd like to see it again, it might work for Oberto as you said.

As an aside, I wonder why no one has ever taken up and mastered Kareem's sky hook?

z0sa
08-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Yup, I remember that. That's the kind of flair and creativity that the ABA brought into the NBA. I'd like to see it again, it might work for Oberto as you said.

As an aside, I wonder why no one has ever taken up and mastered Kareem's sky hook?

It is one of the most difficult moves to pull off effectively.

Taco
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/PlayerMaterial/BillyPaultz/PaultzFollowThrough.JPG

http://bermansports.com/images/500-drj215a.jpg

http://www.remembertheaba.com/TributeMaterial/PlayerMaterial/RonBoone/BooneJumperPaultz.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
08-11-2008, 09:02 AM
play wont work, cause i be there to block the shit out of oberto who has no vertical....

dbestpro
08-11-2008, 09:08 AM
play wont work, cause i be there to block the shit out of oberto who has no vertical....

You must be post 1980's. Paultz had no vertical. That was the reason for the play. The center could be flat footed and still be successful.

manufor3
08-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Some of Robert Horry's shots last season looked like backboard passes, even though they weren't.

:lol

Tully365
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I know you aren't asking me, but Boris Diaw did it last year. That was the last one I recall.

Paultz had very long arms and good hands. The backboard pass is not a bad idea. Some of Robert Horry's shots last season looked like backboard passes, even though they weren't.

:lol Some of Shaq's free throws do too!

Brutalis
08-11-2008, 02:52 PM

I fronted him a dime sack last summer and he never paid up.

mrspurs
08-12-2008, 07:47 AM

:lmao

mrspurs
08-12-2008, 07:52 AM
ok here goes.......you cant make up a special play for fab, he wont do it, ive heard him say it many times when they design a play for him......no habla english... and then he looks at manu. i hate picking on fab, the guy is all heart.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
ok here goes.......you cant make up a special play for fab, he wont do it, ive heard him say it many times when they design a play for him......no habla english... and then he looks at manu. i hate picking on fab, the guy is all heart.

Since you're adding so many people to your ignore list, you could do the rest of us a favour and add yourself to it.

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Oh, and I think it's not a bad idea, but it would require more flex being called and less four down for Duncan or isolations and pick 'n' roll for Manu or Tony. I don't think that would happen after watching the Spurs last season, flex was almost gone compared to 2006-07.

Oberto's numbers are a clear cut reflection of how much flex is used on offense, not just in the Spurs, but in the Argentinian National Team as well. He isn't going to back down anyone in the post, or outjump someone for a rebound. Oberto has great numbers and contributes a lot of points, boards and assits with flex, because he is great at finding open spaces. He has role player/scrub performances and stats with static offensive plays.