PDA

View Full Version : Anthony Tolliver..Blessing In Disguise?

edgar
08-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Anthony Tolliver
6-8, 240-pound

What do you guys think of the playing time and effect that he will bring to the Spurs next year?

Tolliver appeared in all four games at the Rocky Mountain Revue, averaging 11.5 points and 3.5 rebounds in 26.5 minutes while knocking down 53.3 percent (8-15) of his shots form beyond the arc. He led the Spurs in scoring with 21 points in Tuesday's summer league finale against the Atlanta Hawks.

:ihit

ss1986v2
08-09-2008, 10:39 PM
What do you guys think of the playing time and effect that he will bring to the Spurs next year?:ihit
im not even sure he makes the team coming out of preseason...

edgar
08-09-2008, 10:41 PM

From what I keep hearing about this guy...he has a very good chance at making the team.

Kori Ellis
08-09-2008, 10:56 PM

Me either. They partially guaranteed his contract to keep him around, but I'm sure they'll keep all their options open. We'll have to see what he does in training camp.

Solid D
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
If he shoots like he did in SL, then he might just get some minutes. He can go down on the block and post up, having played in the post in college, or set the high screen and pop out for the long range jumper. He's not a very aggressive player defensively or going for boards and that would be a concern.

angelbelow
08-09-2008, 11:21 PM
i dunno, his rebounding numbers dont impress me.

z0sa
08-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Three point shooters generally don't rebound oncesoever unless they follow their shot (and most NBA shooters rightfully believe the shots in every time), so why do people want three point shooting big men to be different?

ducks
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
i dunno, his rebounding numbers dont impress me.

did horry's last year

Solid D
08-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Three point shooters generally don't rebound oncesoever unless they follow their shot (and most NBA shooters rightfully believe the shots in every time), so why do people want three point shooting big men to be different?

What I observed from Summer League, when Tolliver was inside, he was not as aggressive as some of the other players were in going for rebounds or loose balls. He also wasn't overly assertive defensively. George Hill was better at going to the boards than Tolliver was and Hill played on the perimeter.

z0sa
08-10-2008, 12:03 AM
What I observed from Summer League, when Tolliver was inside, he was not as aggressive as some of the other players were in going for rebounds or loose balls. He also wasn't overly assertive defensively. George Hill was better at going to the boards than Tolliver was and Hill played on the perimeter.

He sounds like a more physically inclined Bonner ...

ivanfromwestwood
08-10-2008, 12:13 AM
He sounds like a more physically inclined Bonner ...
i saw all the SL games and trust me, tolliver is no bonner. bonner shoots better and hustles more. besides bonner knows the spurs system. i cant see him stealing bonners mins. he will be waived during training camp or preseason.

z0sa
08-10-2008, 12:18 AM
i saw all the SL games and trust me, tolliver is no bonner. bonner shoots better and hustles more. besides bonner knows the spurs system. i cant see him stealing bonners mins. he will be waived during training camp or preseason.

I agree, but don't you think it's kind of hard to steal minutes that don't exist? :bang

ivanfromwestwood
08-10-2008, 12:33 AM
I agree, but don't you think it's kind of hard to steal minutes that don't exist? :bang true but that was with horry in the lineup. no horry and older bigs might mean some court time for bonner. tolliver gets bonners old spot deep on the bench.

z0sa
08-10-2008, 12:38 AM
If Matt Bonner gets substantial minutes, I will be one happy spurs fan. The amount of hate this guy gets is ridiculous, when he fills a role we desperately need filled.

ivanfromwestwood
08-10-2008, 12:41 AM
If Matt Bonner gets substantial minutes, I will be one happy spurs fan. The amount of hate this guy gets is ridiculous, when he fills a role we desperately need filled.
im pulling for him as well. i think one more year under his belt will help him alot. the spurs help defense system helps so so defenders look like lock down defenders.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-10-2008, 01:00 AM
If he keeps shooting the three like summer league, put him in the pick and roll with either Manu or Tony and have some fun...

Spurtacus
08-10-2008, 01:01 AM
I am no longer thinking positive about any Spurs player. This offseason has been full of disappointments.

Having said that...Tolliver will suck.

ivanfromwestwood
08-10-2008, 01:03 AM
If he keeps shooting the three like summer league, put him in the pick and roll with either Manu or Tony and have some fun... bonner is still better even in the pick and roll. give up hope on tolliver now. you will be less disappointed when he's cut.

bigdog
08-10-2008, 01:08 AM
Tolliver will not make the team. Bonner is better than him, and Bonner never really plays, so there's no chance Tolliver would play. Bonner's minutes will be much higher this season.

z0sa
08-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Tolliver will not make the team. Bonner is better than him, and Bonner never really plays, so there's no chance Tolliver would play. Bonner's minutes will be much higher this season.

Matt Bonner played 853 minutes last season, and Robert Horry played 580. Of course, we all recall Horry's vacation at the start of the season (or whatever you want it called). To me, that means Horry would have probably still played more minutes than Bonner last season had he played in all 82 games. Of course I know Horry can't do that, but let's just entertain the idea for a second.

If Bonner eats up at least 400 of those minutes, and plays 78 games (I'm going with this number based off of his first two seasons in Toronto, not the last two seasons, to be optimistic), then we're talking hopefully 18-20mpg, if he shows Pop what he's capable of.

SenorSpur
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM

Maybe. But Tolliver is more talented than Bonner. The Spurs need to give this guy a legitimate shot. They should not rush towards a quick decision about about a guy that has the potential to contribute this year.

Weather Man Bob
08-10-2008, 01:39 AM
...Tolliver will suck.

bigdog
08-10-2008, 03:00 AM
Maybe. But Tolliver is more talented than Bonner. The Spurs need to give this guy a legitimate shot. They should not rush towards a quick decision about about a guy that has the potential to contribute this year.

Yes, but I'm just saying it because Bonner can play against NBA talent, as to where Tolliver probably isn't. He might be able to contribute, but I see them playing the same type of role, so who knows.

SenorSpur
08-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Yes, but I'm just saying it because Bonner can play against NBA talent, as to where Tolliver probably isn't. He might be able to contribute, but I see them playing the same type of role, so who knows.

IMO, until Bonner earns a spot in the regular rotation and demonstrates a consistent stroke, I wont be convinced that he can play against NBA talent. He's already a terrible defender, so he has that working against him already. If Tolliver could surpass Bonner's poor defensive abilities, he'll improve his chances.

wildbill2u
08-10-2008, 10:15 AM
We are hurting for big men with proven ability. Only Duncan, Oberto and Thomas are certain to be in the rotation for meaningful minutes. That's a very thin frontline rotation for TWO positions.

Pop sat Bonner for most of the last part of the season for whatever reason. You ever see Pop give meaningful minutes to a rookie without superstar talents?

I think we're hurting on the PF/C positions with no apparent help in sight.

lotr1trekkie
08-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Unless they have an ace in the hole somewhere, we need to resign Horry as insurance until Mahimni proves he can give us 20+ minutes of quality ball.

Bartleby
08-10-2008, 11:08 AM
How many games last year did Horry give 20+ minutes of quality ball?

edgar
08-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Tolliver will shock everyone and make the NBA spurs squad!

SenorSpur
08-10-2008, 01:55 PM
Unless they have an ace in the hole somewhere, we need to resign Horry as insurance until Mahimni proves he can give us 20+ minutes of quality ball.

Uh, no. Not the answer. :bang

manufor3
08-10-2008, 01:59 PM

Maybe, tolliver might steal bonner's minutes, or vice-versa

mrspurs
08-10-2008, 10:23 PM

and the hits just keep on coming......first of all both players are nothing more then role players, either way both guys, are shine the pine players. and second of all we see two completely different players, bonner is not better then tolliver (id call it luckier so far) bonner hustles, and can shoot, but thats it. bonner is way to slow to even slide over and find his own seat, imo (why we never saw him much during the real games). tolliver is twice as quick as bonner, and is just as strong(id say stronger cos of size and simple gravity) bonner does know the spurs system..............from the end of the bench. ill put it this way, in a pick up game, and only bonner and tolliver are left, bonner sits:downspin: and i bet we win

Tully365
08-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Barring a trade, there really aren't many spots left on the roster. Right now, I'd guess the depth chart looks like this:

Parker/Hill/Vaughn
Mason/Manu
Bowen/Udoka
Duncan/Bonner/Mahinmi
Thomas/Oberto

That's 12 guys. So between Pargo/Finley/Tolliver/Gist/Hairston, there's probably only one or two spots open. There still seems to be a question as to whether or not Gist has actually signed a contract in Italy. Finley coming back will most likely depend on what Pargo decides. Pargo and Gist would be my favorites.

wisnub
08-11-2008, 10:28 PM
If he's not making the team...i dont know who the fuck will...our bench seems just a little bit better than last season (a tiny bit). If Mason proves that he can be a consistent scoring backup than its a whole different story. I know somehow Hill will be suck like a bitch. Just look at his performance in Summer League, he did talk lots of things in interview but when its time to play Gist and Tolliver who made a statement. Not only he didnt score,he also didnt help in assist either..Good thing he can play "D" otherwise Pop made stupid gamble on him over a proven draft. I got nothing to say about Mahinmi..hes the man.

wisnub
08-12-2008, 10:13 PM
I also calling all Spurs fans and people who got inside contacts, to forced FO to send all of our rookies (Hill,Mahinmi,Tolliver) to be assigned special sessions with Coach Chip during this summer to improve shooting..I think somehow team and player can reach agreement where it is absolutely necessary to treat offseason as time to imrpove shooting skills. I think that has been the problem for us in Playoffs; once our Big 3 got tired or slowed by injuries..bench got no game at all. Just in case its already happening,just to remind Chip to tell guys to add 500 more shots per day L.O.L