PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Encounters!

edgar
08-09-2008, 10:52 PM
Tony Parker is one tight brother as so are other basketball players!

So my friend was telling me about how he once served Tony Parker and his wife (back then girlfriend) Eva Longoria and that instead of giving him a decent tip (15%), they left him A QUARTER! No kidding yall. I mean you make all that money and you leave this worker a quarter...give me a break :(

So have you encountered a Spurs player?

I think it would be cool if we had SpursTalk members discuss their own experiences. Now I am not talking about the usual Spurs spotting from a distance but instead actual face to face chat! So if you have any please share with the rest of us. Give us an insight on how they really are in real life!

Thanks to everyone who replies!

Kori Ellis
08-09-2008, 10:54 PM
I always hear that Manu (well except the incident with Manny) and Tony tip a lot but that Tim is really cheap :lol

I would guess they probably tip according to the service like everyone else.

edgar
08-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I always hear that Manu (well except the incident with Manny) and Tony tip a lot but that Tim is really cheap :lol

One time we had Ben Wallace and couple other Bull players back when he was with them...come eat at our restaurant at the River Walk. Our manager wanted an autograph from at least one of them so he payed for their whole meal..and at the end, they left 8% tip...:bang

go figure?

peskypesky
08-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Hmmm...maybe they're not good with math?

djohn14
08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I met Kurt Thomas at a St. Louis Cardinal Game the offseason before he became a Spur. Great guy right there...We had a conversation that lasted 2 innings...at least 30 minutes, and I got his autograph...on a baseball but I got it. He bought me a snowcone thing. Anyway he was awesome and thats why Im so happy he is a Spur. I also met Danny Granger....but thats a different story.

ducks
08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Tony Parker is one tight brother as so are other basketball players!

So my friend was telling me about how he once served Tony Parker and his wife (back then girlfriend) Eva Longoria and that instead of giving him a decent tip (15%), they left him A QUARTER! No kidding yall. I mean you make all that money and you leave this worker a quarter...give me a break :(

So have you encountered a Spurs player?

I think it would be cool if we had SpursTalk members discuss their own experiences. Now I am not talking about the usual Spurs spotting from a distance but instead actual face to face chat! So if you have any please share with the rest of us. Give us an insight on how they really are in real life!

Thanks to everyone who replies!
I just love how people think that rich people owe the people that serve them big tips
why?
if people ask them for autographs and stuff they should be thankfully they signed and not expect money

or the servers think they are rich and not have to be good host
I would not tip well either would you?

ducks
08-09-2008, 11:26 PM
Hmmm...maybe they're not good with math? yeah they did not finish high school just ask a poster here:rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
08-09-2008, 11:30 PM
I haven't shared this one here. Back when i worked at the movies I saw "The Order" in the same theater as the Spurs. They would see the employee screenings sometimes to avoid crowds. Anyways I brought a whole pizza and sat in the same row as Malik just to say to myself "You may be a millionaire, but who's the one eatin pizza in the movies, and who is sucking down popcorn." Keep in mind this was before they served pizza in movie theaters.

z0sa
08-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I met Tim at a pizza hut, and he refused autographs. In fact, the only word he said was "Okay," in response to me blubbering about how great he is.

But I did shake his huge hand, and he was kind enough not to crush my wimpy fingers.

baseline bum
08-10-2008, 12:22 AM
25-cent tip means your friend is a shitty waiter. The only other explanation would be that Tony's Persian, but we know that to not be true.

edgar
08-10-2008, 12:44 AM
I met Tim at a pizza hut, and he refused autographs. In fact, the only word he said was "Okay," in response to me blubbering about how great he is.

But I did shake his huge hand, and he was kind enough not to crush my wimpy fingers.

I can understand why Timmy would say this to you>>>> "ok" but i mean damn it wouldn't hurt to change it to "Thanks" lol! :lmao

edgar
08-10-2008, 12:48 AM
25-cent tip means your friend is a shitty waiter. The only other explanation would be that Tony's Persian, but we know that to not be true.

He is a good waiter, Tony is just an asshole many times...his ego is so huge. At a spurs open practice to the fans at the AT&T (back then SBC Center) I remember sitting at front row and seeing a group of hot looking young girls screaming Tony's name. All they wanted was a picture and he was ignoring them all. So after about 30 seconds of the girls yelling at Tony, Robert Horry grabbed his head and twisted it in the direction of all the girls. I laughed at this but then I figure he was one cocky guy. :rolleyes

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 12:57 AM
I just love how people think that rich people owe the people that serve them big tips
why?
if people ask them for autographs and stuff they should be thankfully they signed and not expect money

That is the worst logic. These athletes would not have any money if not for the fans. It is the fans paying for tickets, merchandise and watching televised games that allow for the league to be profitable and for players to earn as much as they do. They should be more than willing to sign autographs as long as the timing is good and everyone is polite.

I do not care how bad the service is, a quarter tip is just stupid. I will tip nicely and I am not rich. If the service is bad, the tip goes down, but never that low. If you had that big of a problem with the service, make a formal complaint and tell the waiter that you will not be leaving a tip at all. Leaving a quarter is just being an ass. They do not owe them a big tip, but a reasonable tip is in order.

Borosai
08-10-2008, 01:11 AM
Maybe the rest of the change fell off the table. Did your buddy search under the table?

knee-knee-3
08-10-2008, 01:13 AM
A girl I know, who used to work at Hooters and is very hot, was drinking with her friends at a bar downtown several years ago, when they spotted Malik Rose. She eventually approached him and talked to him. They humped. True story. He gave her cab fare and said he'd give her a call later, but that never happened and she totally expected it.

WildcardManu
08-10-2008, 02:11 AM
They humped.

:lmao

J.T.
08-10-2008, 02:17 AM
I saw Tony Parker driving around Stone Oak in his Lambo and raced him with my Trailblazer and I won.

wisnub
08-10-2008, 02:36 AM
That is the worst logic. These athletes would not have any money if not for the fans. It is the fans paying for tickets, merchandise and watching televised games that allow for the league to be profitable and for players to earn as much as they do. They should be more than willing to sign autographs as long as the timing is good and everyone is polite.

I do not care how bad the service is, a quarter tip is just stupid. I will tip nicely and I am not rich. If the service is bad, the tip goes down, but never that low. If you had that big of a problem with the service, make a formal complaint and tell the waiter that you will not be leaving a tip at all. Leaving a quarter is just being an ass. They do not owe them a big tip, but a reasonable tip is in order.

AGREE...I also not rich but I will never tip a guy 25 cents..they might serve mw a poison next time i go there L.O.L ,i know most of waiter's income comes from tips so i dont mess up other people's life.

It's really cool to know other people's experiences coz i've never seen anything like this...

Spurtacus
08-10-2008, 02:38 AM

:lol

naico
08-10-2008, 03:01 AM
He is a good waiter, Tony is just an asshole many times...his ego is so huge. At a spurs open practice to the fans at the AT&T (back then SBC Center) I remember sitting at front row and seeing a group of hot looking young girls screaming Tony's name. All they wanted was a picture and he was ignoring them all. So after about 30 seconds of the girls yelling at Tony, Robert Horry grabbed his head and twisted it in the direction of all the girls. I laughed at this but then I figure he was one cocky guy. :rolleyes

Heartbreaking story...So what if he ignored them? Big deal. I would've done the same thing. Just becuz ur a star doesnt mean ur an ass if u don't accept every damn request from fans.

edgar
08-10-2008, 12:54 PM
Heartbreaking story...So what if he ignored them? Big deal. I would've done the same thing. Just becuz ur a star doesnt mean ur an ass if u don't accept every damn request from fans.

Its a freking twist of the head. And the whole point of an open practice for the fans was for fans to interact with the spurs. I can understand if its game 52 of the NBA season but damn come on it was the first and only open practice they would host that year! Tony didn't even know Eva Longoria then, so its not like he was watching out for her or anything.

edgar
08-10-2008, 12:55 PM

I totally agree

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 01:11 PM

Tony and Manu are actually the most humble of the Spurs I think. They are always incredibly polite and not the least bit cocky at all. My interaction with them has always been that they have very little ego considering their level. Some players are assholes, but not those two.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh and giving a quarter or a penny is usually a sign that the waiter sucks. It's normally universal to mean that the waiter has treated you extremely poorly. I left a penny for a bitch waitress before. And I also have left a zero tip and wrote a note on the receipt.

I almost always tip 20% + but there's times when a waiter makes your experience miserable.

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM

Tony Parker has hot girls screaming his name alot of places hes goes I bet. I'm sure he is pretty immune to the situation and only picks and chooses certain times to be attentive. It probably gets old after a while. Ofcourse you probably won't understand how that feels ever.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Meeting/seeing Spurs:

One time LJ and I went to Best Buy at around 12noon to buy something and Sean Marks was there looking at laptops.

We came back there at 6pm the same day to return something, and Marks was there looking at laptops.

I seriously hope he went home and came back. That would suck to be at Best Buy for 6 hours.

We also Ron Mercer/Jason Hart at a club that same night. It was definitely a Spurs sighting day.

edgar
08-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Tony and Manu are actually the most humble of the Spurs I think. They are always incredibly polite and not the least bit cocky at all. My interaction with them has always been that they have very little ego considering their level. Some players are assholes, but not those two.

Believe me this guy has a huge ego..I thought he didn't for the longest but he does. Now having Eva alongside does not help his situation because she too thinks the world should stop for her.

Manu Ginobili is the most humble out of all spurs, i can admit that. At that same practice, I will never forget how great this guy was. He had just gotten hurt because of a play they ran. I believe they reported it to be a groin injury later on in the news. But anyways, as he was limping his way back to scores table, I shouted Manu, and even though he was in pain, he turned his head and said "Hey whats going on". I always carry that with me..lol

But you can tell Ginobili is most humble of them all.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Believe me this guy has a huge ego..I thought he didn't for the longest but he does. Now having Eva alongside does not help his situation because she too thinks the world should stop for her.

I don't need to believe you, I know for myself. He's extremely polite, very level headed and humble.

And Eva is actually very low-key, nice and down to earth. I have meet her many times in social situations and she's just a regular girl. Don't believe the hype.

jimo2305
08-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Kevin Willis:
back in '03.. my buddy and i went to go grab something at walmart on de zavala and we saw a tall guy comin' out of the store.. i was like.. man that guy's tall.. and my friend said 'that's kevin willis!' i said 'kevin who?' he says that's kevin willis from the hawks.. what's he doin' here? so we drive by closer to willis and we ask him.. 'hey man.. what u doin' in town? did u get traded to the spurs?' he's like 'yea.. i got traded.. i play for the spurs now..' as he was loading his groceries into his jeep.. and he continued.. 'yea hopefully we'll see what happens.. hopefully we'll win a championship..' as we all know.. we won the championship lol!

Fabricio Oberto:
when we picked him up as an FA.. he was in town but didnt have a home so he stayed at our hotel.. he was usually with the spurs folk during daytime.. but his wife came to our restaurant about everyday.. and man she's tall.. i caught saw oberto walking with his wife tho one morning.. this was like when nobody really knew him yet.. but i did because ive seen his pictures and read articles.. so i saw him and i was so surprised and i said "hey!" as an involuntary reaction lol.. and he just smiled and said 'hi.. how you doin'' and walked on.. i felt so stupid lol.. he caught me by surprise because we never saw him till then..

Eric Williams:
eric is one cool cat.. down to earth.. and i recognized him easily because he was with that boston squad that was makin' things happen a few years back.. so when he walked up to the front desk of the hotel i worked at.. i greeted him with "welcome mr williams.. how may i help u today".. he was actually impressed and taken aback that i knew who he was right away.. we made small talk and he said i should secure a room for his wife and give her his keys.. i took care of it right away.. and he rememebred my face later on in the month when he came back.. pretty much he was looking back and forth because.. yes he signed on with the spurs but he was trying to get a place to live at.. so for the meantime he was in the hotel.. so anytime he came to the hotel.. he'd ask "where's my homeboy jimmy" lol.. man it sure sucked later on when he left the spurs.. he's a cool guy too..

that's pretty much who ive met upclose with the spurs.. my roomie at the time met robert horry at wingstop and they had a small chitchat.. he said he asked why a player.. i forgot who it was.. wasnt seeing playing time.. i think it was nazr mohammed.. and horry said he's in pop's doghouse lol.. it all made sense haha

fotan2
08-10-2008, 02:22 PM

you were lucky .

i heard someone who asked LeBron for autographs , then LeBron was like " fuck off " .

Leetonidas
08-10-2008, 02:30 PM
Your friend was obviously a fucking horrible waiter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 02:31 PM
One morning when I was eating some breakfast at McDonalds, a rumor began brewing that Tim Duncan was visiting my hometown for a quick look (Del Rio is a quick look no matter how long you stay here). It was just a couple weeks after his first season in San Antonio, so I didn't really believe in the hype. Just as I was finished with my meal, he arrives at the McDonalds parking lot. I knew this was my one chance to meet him because apparently no else in the restaurant noticed he was about to enter. I scurry over to the entrance and wait for him, trying my best not to make a scene and ruin my chance to have a 1 on 1 conversation with him.

He approaches the door, and at that moment I greet him with a calm 'Hi, Tim'. He tells me that he already knows that I'm a cool guy since I'm the first fan he's met in town that hasn't become hysterical and began screaming when approaching him. I feel very excited to know that I'm already on his good side. He tells me that he really would like some McDonalds breakfast but isn't really in the mood to be flooded by loud fans in the restaurant since he is not a morning person. He then asks me if I could get his meal for him while he waits outside in his car for me. I felt weird that it's my first time meeting Tim Duncan and I'm getting him breakfast, but hey, it's Tim Duncan, so whatever, I was happy doing favors for him.

I leave the restaurant, go to his car, and hand him his food. He invites me in his car to chill so I can keep him company while he eats. Of course, I accept his offer. So we're just there in his car laying back relaxing and talking about his experiences in his first year in San Antonio, and it seems as though we're hitting it off just swimmingly. And it dawns on me that I'm almost late for work at the ER. I inform him of my situation and he insists that he drives me to work, saying that 'it's the least he can do for being relaxed around him'. I also accept that offer, and as soon as we are about to leave the parking lot, I noticed a friend of mine who is also working in the ER but has the day off, has just parked in the lot.

I call the friend over as he looks surprised since he believes that the car I'm in is mine. He approaches the car and Tim rolls down his window and you can imagine the surprise that gave my friend as he just notices I'm hanging out with Tim Duncan. He straight up hugs Tim through the window, and begins bombarding him with questions. I told him that we're on the way to the hospital because I'm late for work, and a sigh of disappointment comes from him, as he realizes his one time meeting Tim Duncan is over. And at that point, Tim comes up with another offer. He tells the friend of mine that if he covers for me at the ER for today, he'll give him 4 tickets to next season's opener and a locker room pass to meet him again after the game. He accepts the offer, gladly, runs into the restaurant to grab his breakfast, gives Tim another hug and takes a picture with him, and goes to work in my place.

I ask Tim what he wants to do since he got me the day off of work, and he brings up the idea of going to the gym for a little shootaround. I'm thinking to myself, 'oh my God, I'm gonna be playing basketball with Tim Duncan, what can be better?'. I excitingly accept the offer and show him the way to the local gym.

I'm just realizing that this is starting to become just the perfect day for me; meeting Tim Duncan, getting the day off, and now I'm gonna be playing basketball with him. I must be dreaming.

So we arrive and we change into our gear and start with a shootaround. A couple of other guys come into the gym and ask us if they wanted to play a little 2 on 2 match. Of course, me and Tim dominate, beating them 70 to 22. After that, I play him a free throw shooting contest, whoever makes the most out of 50, and he won, 38 to 36. I then play him a game of horse, and he beats me again, with his last shot being an underhand fullcourt shot backwards. When he made that shot, my jaw dropped. We continue on playing in the gym, and as we start to get worn down in the evening, he says he wants to get out of there and go do something else. He says he can really go for a game of bowling now. I show him the way to the alley, and the perfect day just keeps on going, the bowling alley is completely empty, allowing us to have more time playing and less time with bombarding fans. Let me tell you, he's an awesome bowler. We played 2 games with Tim beating me both times by at least 115 points.

By that time, it's already about 6 or 7 pm, and he says it's time for him to get out of town and back to San Antonio. We go to get some lunch at Chili's (he ordered one of the burgers, I forgot which one. One of the big mouth burgers) before he leaves. He drops me off at my house and tells me that I'm a pretty cool guy and that he'd like to hang out again next time he's in town. I tell him that that would be awesome and to just call me when he's back. We share our goodbyes and he tells me that next year he'll make sure that the Spurs win the championship. :)

Leetonidas
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
And as far as Tim Duncan goes, people should just leave him alone. He's a very normal dude, and he doesn't like all the star hype shit. I mean think about it. No one comes up to people like us EVERYWHERE WE GO constantly asking us the same shit and telling us how awesome we are for like, what, 11 years almost?

I think Tim is trying to keep outside contact minimal anyway so he can get home faster and sign onto Xbox Live.

E20
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM
One morning when I was eating some breakfast at McDonalds, a rumor began brewing that Tim Duncan was visiting my hometown for a quick look (Del Rio is a quick look no matter how long you stay here). It was just a couple weeks after his first season in San Antonio, so I didn't really believe in the hype. Just as I was finished with my meal, he arrives at the McDonalds parking lot. I knew this was my one chance to meet him because apparently no else in the restaurant noticed he was about to enter. I scurry over to the entrance and wait for him, trying my best not to make a scene and ruin my chance to have a 1 on 1 conversation with him.

He approaches the door, and at that moment I greet him with a calm 'Hi, Tim'. He tells me that he already knows that I'm a cool guy since I'm the first fan he's met in town that hasn't become hysterical and began screaming when approaching him. I feel very excited to know that I'm already on his good side. He tells me that he really would like some McDonalds breakfast but isn't really in the mood to be flooded by loud fans in the restaurant since he is not a morning person. He then asks me if I could get his meal for him while he waits outside in his car for me. I felt weird that it's my first time meeting Tim Duncan and I'm getting him breakfast, but hey, it's Tim Duncan, so whatever, I was happy doing favors for him.

I leave the restaurant, go to his car, and hand him his food. He invites me in his car to chill so I can keep him company while he eats. Of course, I accept his offer. So we're just there in his car laying back relaxing and talking about his experiences in his first year in San Antonio, and it seems as though we're hitting it off just swimmingly. And it dawns on me that I'm almost late for work at the ER. I inform him of my situation and he insists that he drives me to work, saying that 'it's the least he can do for being relaxed around him'. I also accept that offer, and as soon as we are about to leave the parking lot, I noticed a friend of mine who is also working in the ER but has the day off, has just parked in the lot.

I call the friend over as he looks surprised since he believes that the car I'm in is mine. He approaches the car and Tim rolls down his window and you can imagine the surprise that gave my friend as he just notices I'm hanging out with Tim Duncan. He straight up hugs Tim through the window, and begins bombarding him with questions. I told him that we're on the way to the hospital because I'm late for work, and a sigh of disappointment comes from him, as he realizes his one time meeting Tim Duncan is over. And at that point, Tim comes up with another offer. He tells the friend of mine that if he covers for me at the ER for today, he'll give him 4 tickets to next season's opener and a locker room pass to meet him again after the game. He accepts the offer, gladly, runs into the restaurant to grab his breakfast, gives Tim another hug and takes a picture with him, and goes to work in my place.

I ask Tim what he wants to do since he got me the day off of work, and he brings up the idea of going to the gym for a little shootaround. I'm thinking to myself, 'oh my God, I'm gonna be playing basketball with Tim Duncan, what can be better?'. I excitingly accept the offer and show him the way to the local gym.

I'm just realizing that this is starting to become just the perfect day for me; meeting Tim Duncan, getting the day off, and now I'm gonna be playing basketball with him. I must be dreaming.

So we arrive and we change into our gear and start with a shootaround. A couple of other guys come into the gym and ask us if they wanted to play a little 2 on 2 match. Of course, me and Tim dominate, beating them 70 to 22. After that, I play him a free throw shooting contest, whoever makes the most out of 50, and he won, 38 to 36. I then play him a game of horse, and he beats me again, with his last shot being an underhand fullcourt shot backwards. When he made that shot, my jaw dropped. We continue on playing in the gym, and as we start to get worn down in the evening, he says he wants to get out of there and go do something else. He says he can really go for a game of bowling now. I show him the way to the alley, and the perfect day just keeps on going, the bowling alley is completely empty, allowing us to have more time playing and less time with bombarding fans. Let me tell you, he's an awesome bowler. We played 2 games with Tim beating me both times by at least 115 points.

By that time, it's already about 6 or 7 pm, and he says it's time for him to get out of town and back to San Antonio. We go to get some lunch at Chili's (he ordered one of the burgers, I forgot which one. One of the big mouth burgers) before he leaves. He drops me off at my house and tells me that I'm a pretty cool guy and that he'd like to hang out again next time he's in town. I tell him that that would be awesome and to just call me when he's back. We share our goodbyes and he tells me that next year he'll make sure that the Spurs win the championship. :)
I stopped reading when you said Tim Duncan invited you in the car, soundled like Tim Duncan wanted to rape a minor also when you said you worked at the ER.

Leetonidas
08-10-2008, 02:36 PM

I can't believe I just read that. :lol

I've eaten at that McDonald's a few times...it's just weird picturing Tim Duncan and you hanging out in DEL RIO shooting hoops and then going to Jet Bowl and Chili's?

THE CHILI'S WASN'T EVEN OPEN AT THAT TIME!!!

E20
08-10-2008, 02:38 PM
I met Manu, man was incredibly nice to everybody around him.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 02:41 PM
I can't believe I just read that. :lol

I've eaten at that McDonald's a few times...it's just weird picturing Tim Duncan and you hanging out in DEL RIO shooting hoops and then going to Jet Bowl and Chili's?

THE CHILI'S WASN'T EVEN OPEN AT THAT TIME!!!

:lol You could've at least let a few people get fooled before you ruin it.

kskonn
08-10-2008, 02:47 PM

Edgar, sounds like you have something against Tony, which seems to be common in San Antonio. I agree with Kori, in numerous encounters Tony has always been very humbe, never acted entitled, bascially just acted like everyone else. Just because he is famous doesn't mean he has to always go out of his way to make someones day. Out of all the spurs I would say that Tim would probably come off as the most stand offish, don't get me wrong he is a nice guy, but he can often come off cold and short(in words, not size).

kskonn
08-10-2008, 02:49 PM

It sounded like a letter to the editor for a gay porn mag!!! pretty good though. :lol

I stopped at tim duncan was in Del rio just to check it out, doubt it.:lol

Still pretty funny stuff.

ducks
08-10-2008, 02:56 PM

the fans are not paying for it the tv companies are paying their salary

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Tony Parker:

Went to two of his autograph signings. One was at Ihop and another one at scoozi's I believe on nacagdoches. It was years ago. I have pictures of both times and 2 autographs. I took my nephew who was very young and he made a funny face at him and my nephew started laughing. It was really cute.

Another time was when Passion of the Christ came out. I was at the Quarry waiting in line outside the theater. Then I saw this tall person walking towards the end of the line. It was Tony Parker. He was with a whole bunch of people. So anyways a few minutes later some ushers were taking Tony to the front of the line so he wouldn't have to wait, and some people even started booing. :lol but thats typical San Antonio. So he and I watched a movie together :p:

Manu:

At Ihope once for an autograph and picture. seemed nice. There were so many people there. I think Manu became very popular very fast in comparison with Tony. I think its cause he was Latino...

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:09 PM

Ya, that's why the WNBA players make so much money...It is the same damn tv companies. You must not be into business or know how tv companies make their money. You have to have fans watching the program so you can charge money for advertising. That is how the vast majority of the money is made. If the fans were not watching the programs and buying merchandise and buying tickets to the games there would be no money for the players. Get a clue.

Quit shutting down your brain when it comes to Tony. Just because he left a bad tip one time does not mean he is a bad person. It means he handled the situation like a child. Everyone has bad days and if what Kori says is true, then it is not the norm. To act like the fans are not the reason teams make money is just dumb. If that was the case, owners would not invest in huge stadiums, advertising to draw fans in and merchandising. They would just directly deal with the tv companies and take the fans out of the equation. We all know fans are irrational, spoiled, hard-to-please and ignorant right? Oh wait, having said all of that, you can not do that because no fans = no money.

So as I said, athletes do not owe fans anything with regards to money and they are people as well. They have their good days and bad days, but as long as people are polite and have good timing, they should be more then willing to sign an autograph or chat to show their gratitude for the fans that support them.

Luckily, most Spurs understand that and give back to the community.

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:10 PM
Edgar, sounds like you have something against Tony, which seems to be common in San Antonio. I agree with Kori, in numerous encounters Tony has always been very humbe, never acted entitled, bascially just acted like everyone else. Just because he is famous doesn't mean he has to always go out of his way to make someones day. Out of all the spurs I would say that Tim would probably come off as the most stand offish, don't get me wrong he is a nice guy, but he can often come off cold and short(in words, not size).

I realize many superstars act this way..Tony is a great basketball player and thats it. Sure he puts on the happy face from time to time but when no one is watching he is a dick. Why is it that I only talk bad about his people skills and not anyone elses...i've seen this stuff for myself, thats why. If kori and anyone else thinks he is the best polite person then thats their opinion but don't put him in the same likes as that of Ginobili or Robert Horry. Parker is nothing like them.:nope

E20
08-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I wonder if any players have ever signed a hot chicks boobs?

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
It's funny to think that Tony would only leave a quarter tip just to be an ass. He probably just hated the service. Has Tony ever gone back since? If i didn't like the service I don't leave anything. At least he left a quarter.

E20
08-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I never tip. I just don't have the money. Which is why I never go out to eat.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I wonder if any players have ever signed a hot chicks boobs?

cash459
08-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I saw Fabricio at North Star mall shopping at Armani exchange. When he walked out of the store, the dude looked TOTALLY lost!! he may as well have stepped out of a time machine....he stood there for a good 10 minutes, just looking in each direction trying to figure out which way to go. :lol

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
It's funny to think that Tony would only leave a quarter tip just to be an ass. He probably just hated the service. Has Tony ever gone back since? If i didn't like the service I don't leave anything. At least he left a quarter.

My friend told me service wasn't bad..And also I am not basing my opinion on that alone but instead of other encounters of seeing the way he acts with fans.

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:21 PM
I realize many superstars act this way..Tony is a great basketball player and thats it. Sure he puts on the happy face from time to time but when no one is watching he is a dick. Why is it that I only talk bad about his people skills and not anyone elses...i've seen this stuff for myself, thats why. If kori and anyone else thinks he is the best polite person then thats their opinion but don't put him in the same likes as that of Ginobili or Robert Horry. Parker is nothing like them.:nope

have you meet them on one one?
do you know manu,horry, tips well for a fact?

texbound
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM

That sounded similar to a gag on a radio program I used to listen to back in DC (The Don and Mike Show). On that program it would've continued with:

"Then you'll never guess who we ran into, it was George Clooney who was in town shooting a scene for an upcoming movie. George jumps into Tim's car and we decide to go across the border for some food, drinks and entertainment. We walked into a restaurant in Acuna and I couldn't believe my eyes, but George Strait was sitting by himself at a table. He invited us over, he's a huge Spurs fan, so we joined him. Out of the bathroom comes Selma Hyack and she joins us at the table."

The story always finishes with:

"Then we all had glorious 5-way sex"

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:23 PM
:p:We once saw Timmy at the downtown Hard Rock..he had two security guards surrounding his table. He refused autographs and photos which was totally ok, since it seemed like he was out with family and didn't want to be bothered. It was just so cool to see him so close...

E20
08-10-2008, 03:24 PM
ducks, we get the point you are trying to make.

Tony > Every single person in every single aspect. (Excluding Manu)

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 03:26 PM
That sounded similar to a gag on a radio program I used to listen to back in DC (The Don and Mike Show). On that program it would've continued with:

"Then you'll never guess who we ran into, it was George Clooney who was in town shooting a scene for an upcoming movie. George jumps into Tim's car and we decide to go across the border for some food, drinks and entertainment. We walked into a restaurant in Acuna and I couldn't believe my eyes, but George Strait was sitting by himself at a table. He invited us over, he's a huge Spurs fan, so we joined him. Out of the bathroom comes Selma Hyack and she joins us at the table."

The story always finishes with:

"Then we all had glorious 5-way sex"

:rollin

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:28 PM
have you meet them on one one?
do you know manu,horry, tips well for a fact?

Why do we keep bringing up the tip incident! Thats one of my many points on why I think Tony is very cocky and conceited oh and cheap. The incident with the quarter was my friend, not me. He told me that the whole working staff was shocked that this guy did this.

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:31 PM
ducks, we get the point you are trying to make.

Tony > Every single person in every single aspect. (Excluding Manu)

I got a better one...

Tony > Ginobili :lmao

mrspurs
08-10-2008, 03:33 PM
wellllllll.....i suppose this isnt fair, but ive got an excuse, i sometimes know how to get around all the security, ushers, television executive producers, people with walkie talkies, pretty much any and everyone who steps onto the floor, be it court or ice or cement or tons and tons of dirt etc. on the freeman and at@t center grounds. so id have to say ive met them all. heck i watched the at@t center being built from the bottom up every single day.(quite and amazing show).....i can tell ya this, they are just like you and me

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Why do we keep bringing up the tip incident! Thats one of my many points on why I think Tony is very cocky and conceited oh and cheap. The incident with the quarter was my friend, not me. He told me that the whole working staff was shocked that this guy did this.

you are saying manu and horry are much more classy
I am just asking if you have ever had a personally story or incident with them

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
wellllllll.....i suppose this isnt fair, but ive got an excuse, i sometimes know how to get around all the security, ushers, television executive producers, people with walkie talkies, pretty much any and everyone who steps onto the floor, be it court or ice or cement or tons and tons of dirt etc. on the freeman and at@t center grounds. so id have to say ive met them all. heck i watched the at@t center being built from the bottom up every single day.(quite and amazing show).....i can tell ya this, they are just like you and me

Can you get me tickets MRSPURS :downspin:

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:35 PM
yep

E20
08-10-2008, 03:36 PM

How many dicks did you suck and how many were in your ass at once for you to do those things?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Ya, that's why the WNBA players make so much money...It is the same damn tv companies. You must not be into business or know how tv companies make their money. You have to have fans watching the program so you can charge money for advertising. That is how the vast majority of the money is made. If the fans were not watching the programs and buying merchandise and buying tickets to the games there would be no money for the players. Get a clue.

Quit shutting down your brain when it comes to Tony. Just because he left a bad tip one time does not mean he is a bad person. It means he handled the situation like a child. Everyone has bad days and if what Kori says is true, then it is not the norm. To act like the fans are not the reason teams make money is just dumb. If that was the case, owners would not invest in huge stadiums, advertising to draw fans in and merchandising. They would just directly deal with the tv companies and take the fans out of the equation. We all know fans are irrational, spoiled, hard-to-please and ignorant right? Oh wait, having said all of that, you can not do that because no fans = no money.

So as I said, athletes do not owe fans anything with regards to money and they are people as well. They have their good days and bad days, but as long as people are polite and have good timing, they should be more then willing to sign an autograph or chat to show their gratitude for the fans that support them.

I have tipped bad most people do when the service is bad

I left a penny before
because the server sucked money people do

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:38 PM

people think they owe them
they do not
it would get very tiring to have to sign autographs 24/7

and expect to leave 50% tips because they are rich and they have to to make people happy

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:40 PM
you are saying manu and horry are much more classy
I am just asking if you have ever had a personally story or incident with them

Never waited in my life, so to answer your question no. But I do work in a restaurant in the riverwalk and see the occasional basketball player here and there. Chris Kayman had lunch and left 20% tip, Damien Wilkens showed up another occasion and left the BARTENDER a $20 tip on a $45 dollar tab. I mean its very uncommon to see stars leave a quarter. Nothing wouldve been better..but a quarter. :nope

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Never waited in my life, so to answer your question no. But I do work in a restaurant in the riverwalk and see the occasional basketball player here and there. Chris Kayman had lunch and left 20% tip, Damien Wilkens showed up another occasion and left the BARTENDER a $20 tip on a $45 dollar tab. I mean its very uncommon to see stars leave a quarter. Nothing wouldve been better..but a quarter. :nope

I guess he should have left a penny:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

duncan228
08-10-2008, 03:42 PM
What I've heard about Duncan is that he's usually easier about being approached if he's alone. If he's with his family he tends not to respond to requests for autographs or pics. I don't blame him. If you're famous you're "on" in public 24/7, no matter what you're doing. Duncan has always tried to shy away from the spotlight off-court. I can understand why he would try to protect his space with his family.

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:42 PM
How many dicks did you suck and how many were in your ass at once for you to do those things?

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM
I guess he should have left a penny:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

No he shouldve left your mom, now that wouldva been cheap :lmao

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:44 PM

Exactly, an adult would just leave no tip if they absolutely hated the service. If you leave a quarter, you are just being a prick about it. Be a man, make a formal complaint or leave a note.

century
08-10-2008, 03:45 PM

Great story. Did you hump?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
No he shouldve left your mom, now that wouldva been cheap :lmao

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w215/nalatino/anigifs/ohsnapks0.gif

edgar

Timmy is gay?:wow

Mr.Bottomtooth

:lol No.

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 03:49 PM
:p:We once saw Timmy at the downtown Hard Rock..he had two security guards surrounding his table. He refused autographs and photos which was totally ok, since it seemed like he was out with family and didn't want to be bothered. It was just so cool to see him so close...

ok so its okay for tim to act that way, but not tony?

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:50 PM
Exactly, an adult would just leave no tip if they absolutely hated the service. If you leave a quarter, you are just being a prick about it. Be a man, make a formal complaint or leave a note.

that makes you and adult?

who told you that?

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:51 PM
I have tipped bad most people do when the service is bad

I left a penny before
because the server sucked money people do

people think they owe them
they do not
it would get very tiring to have to sign autographs 24/7

and expect to leave 50% tips because they are rich and they have to to make people happy

You have completely missed the point:

1) Fans enable these athletes to make the money they are accustomed to. So, although it may be tiring to do autographs 24/7, they should do it most of the time as long as the situation is appropriate and everyone is polite.

2) I have more than once already said that it is ok to tip poorly if the service is bad, but be reasonable. Standard tip is 20% for good service. If it is bad, then 10%. If it is really bad, but they are not rude, just idiots, I can see 5%. If they are rude and bad, then you leave them no tip and file a formal complaint. You do not leave a quarter or a penny. That is not only rude, it lowers you to their level and is a childish way to "prove a point" to a waiter.

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 03:52 PM

I don't know. The quarter gets the point across that service sucked. Ps how do we know this story is even true? I left just a dollar one time. I didn't know it made me a kid

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:52 PM

who told you that?

Society.

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:53 PM

no horry and manu have class no one else does
juat ask him

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Society.

wow

what society?
in the usa?

edgar
08-10-2008, 03:54 PM

1. He was with his family, and if you know Timmy, you know that he doesn't like to be bothered w/family.

2.Timmy can bitch slap me and it would still be ok..as long as he is still winning championships for us.

3.Tony GAVE a Fu**in 0.25 cent tip!!!

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:55 PM

who told you that?

Just like when you hear: being a man is doing the right thing. Same principle, but I guess you never learned that lesson.

Being a stand up person is about doing the right thing and being honest and having integrity. If you have a problem, you let people know without being immature.

It was an obvious error in judgment by Tony, get over it. It does not make him a horrible person. As you said, even you left a penny once, which meant even you make Tony Parker like mistakes.

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:56 PM
1. He was with his family, and if you know Timmy, you know that he doesn't like to be bothered w/family.

2.Timmy can bitch slap me and it would still be ok..as long as he is still winning championships for us.

yeah tony never helped tim win the title
hell he beat out tim for the finals mvp

spursfan09
08-10-2008, 03:57 PM

So then you are saying its okay for Timmy to act that way and not Tony?

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:57 PM
so if you do not tip above 5% according to this thread
you are a kid and not an adult

am I missing anything

ducks
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
So then you are saying its okay for Timmy to act that way and not Tony?

timmy could rape his wife and girlfried and it would be ok since it is timmy

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 03:58 PM
so if you do not tip above 5% according to this thread
you are a kid and not an adult

am I missing anything

Everything.

century
08-10-2008, 04:01 PM
I kinda believe that Tony and Tim are pricks while Manu is a nice guy. But I really don't give a shit as long as they bring in championships. If not, they'll get driven outta town. Such is life. I saw Horry in his Bentley at a traffic light on Broadway and asked him if they were gonna win the next day. Horry said for sure but they lost. What an asshole!

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:02 PM
You have no fundamentals to stand on, which is why you argue with blindness. I clearly said it is more than acceptable to leave no tip. What is not ok, is leaving a worthless amount (such as a quarter or penny) because you are not man enough to file a complaint and face the person with whom you have a problem. If the service upset you that much, by all means leave no tip. Just leaving a quarter makes you look petty and puts you on the same level as the rude waiter. But I guess you are an eye for an eye type of person.

ducks
08-10-2008, 04:04 PM
You have no fundamentals to stand on, which is why you argue with blindness. I clearly said it is more than acceptable to leave no tip. What is not ok, is leaving a worthless amount (such as a quarter or penny) because you are not man enough to file a complaint and face the person with whom you have a problem. If the service upset you that much, by all means leave no tip. Just leaving a quarter makes you look petty and puts you on the same level as the rude waiter. But I guess you are an eye for an eye type of person.

you know someone could be very busy and not have time to file a formal complaint
leaving a quarter gets the point accross
you friend most likely thought he could not be a good host and get a big tip and concentrate on the other customers
and now he is ticked he messed up

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:05 PM
The whole point of this thread was to share experiences that ppl had with spurs players. One of my stories had to deal with my friend waitering on Parker. He gave a quarter and was very bad on his part since he could've just left nothing. I believe my friend that he did not gave him bad service because its freaking Tony Parker! How many times do you have the chance to see him in person and especially wait on him. You certanly wouldn't treat him bad unless he was a DICK to you first but even then, you would try to see the positives out the whole experience.

Also I continue to pin point my point across that I do not think parker is a dick because of only this but because from other experience (Spurs open practice, stated earlier) he was too cocky in front of spurs fans with his actions.

I base my likings of spurs players based on their actions on and off the court. One thing is that you can play great basketball but even great basketball doesn't make you a great people person...just ask Ron Artest and dude that got punched by him.:ihit

DPG21920

Way to completely shift gears when you realized your arguments about tv stations and fans did not pan out.

ducks
I kinda believe that Tony and Tim are pricks while Manu is a nice guy. But I really don't give a shit as long as they bring in championships. If not, they'll get driven outta town. Such is life. I saw Horry in his Bentley at a traffic light on Broadway and asked him if they were gonna win the next day. Horry said for sure but they lost. What an asshole!

why he said he needs to give the ball to timmy in is interview:lol:lol:lol
really does not look like he enjoys talking about himself

tonyisamazing
08-10-2008, 04:06 PM
I met Avery Johnson the night that his jersey was retired i got his autograph and we were talking about basketball and stuff! Avery Johnson is a great guy and was so nice to me

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:08 PM
you know someone could be very busy and not have time to file a formal complaint
leaving a quarter gets the point accross
you friend most likely thought he could not be a good host and get a big tip and concentrate on the other customers
and now he is ticked he messed up

My friend, what the hell are you talking about? I do not have any idea about the person this thread was started about. I am doing this on the basis of common sense and decency.

Ya, they are in such a rush they can not call the manager over for one minute to make a formal complaint, but they can stop in for a nice lunch...

Leaving a quarter gets the point across alright; the point that you are a petty, immature prick at the moment. Just leave no tip, that gets the point across as well and is not putting salt in the wound.

tonyisamazing
08-10-2008, 04:09 PM
what is wrong with you guys? Just because tim wants to be left alone doesn't mean he's a bad guy. He has a life and doesn't want people following him aroumd telling him how good he is all the time. Remember he doesn't like to live in the lime light

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:11 PM
My friend, what the hell are you talking about? I do not have any idea about the person this thread was started about. I am doing this on the basis of common sense and decency.

Ya, they are in such a rush they can not call the manager over for one minute to make a formal complaint, but they can stop in for a nice lunch...

Leaving a quarter gets the point across alright; the point that you are a petty, immature prick at the moment. Just leave no tip, that gets the point across as well and is not putting salt in the wound.

Its pointless to explain it to him. Save your writing.

century
08-10-2008, 04:13 PM
I met Avery Johnson the night that his jersey was retired i got his autograph and we were talking about basketball and stuff! Avery Johnson is a great guy and was so nice to me

Almost forgot about him. Once when I left an oriental massage place on Perrin-Beitel , AJ was sitting in the waiting room. He smiled very cheerfully and asked me if I got a happy finish with a big wink. I told him to take the younger one with big tits and he thanked me very politely. Too bad we lost him to Dallas.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:13 PM
This turned into a weird, stupid thread of just more ducks crazy behavior defending Tony and then random Tony bashing.

I will tell you this, every Spurs player has their days when they are jerks.

Posters have seen Tim brush off little girls for autographs.

Posters here have experienced Manu tipping ZERO.

Posters here have been brushed off by Manu for an autograph.

Posters have seen Tim be rude and aloof.

Posters have apparently heard of Tony leaving a quarter tip.

Posters have seen Horry be a total jerk... and same with Bowen.

I have also read of Tim leaving a 5% tip, and another story of Tim tipping a $100 on a $25 tab.

But I can tell you for sure that Tony, Manu and Tim - none of them have huge egos and act like jerks regularly. They are all very humble and most of the time kind. But just like everyone else in the world, they have bad days and bad experiences which might make them not act so cool.

I have been around hundreds of basketball players in the locker room, at parties, around town or whatever - in general the Spurs are genuine guys.

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I saw Horry in his Bentley at a traffic light on Broadway and asked him if they were gonna win the next day. Horry said for sure but they lost. What an asshole!

So you'd prefer him to say they were gona lose and make you think he was making fun of your RETARDED ASS QUESTION?

E20
08-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Kori is going to lock this thread. LOL

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:16 PM

I disagree with this if you don't know the circumstance. I have been in a situation where the waitress was extremely rude and obnoxious, and the manager was no better at all. So I left a penny tip. It doesn't mean I'm immature or petty - it just was making a point that I had no other means of making. What can you do when the manager is just as much of an ass as the waitstaff. Another situation was almost identical, so I left a zero tip and just wrote a (not very nice) note on the receipt.

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I disagree with this if you don't know the circumstance. I have been in a situation where the waitress was extremely rude and obnoxious, and the manager was no better at all. So I left a penny tip. It doesn't mean I'm immature or petty - it just was making a point that I had no other means of making. What can you do when the manager is just as much of an ass as the waitstaff. Another situation was almost identical, so I left a zero tip and just wrote a (not very nice) note on the receipt.

wow I can't believe we are still debating the 0.25 cent tip...we are totally missing the thread's purpose

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:19 PM
wow I can't believe we are still debating the 0.25 cent tip...we are totally missing the thread's purpose

The point of the thread (on your part) was to bash Tony. We get that.

You haven't cared anything about other people's stories about Spurs.

century
08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I have been around hundreds of basketball players in the locker room, at parties, around town or whatever - in general the Spurs are genuine guys.

I know Christy Canyon. She's been with almost as many men.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
I know Christy Canyon. She's been with almost as many men.

:wtf

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:21 PM
The point of the thread (on your part) was to bash Tony. We get that.

That became this thread's point. My initial point was to bash on tony and then move on...:wakeup

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Why do you say that, i enjoy reading their experiences. It brings insight on how they truly are..

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:25 PM

Just like when you hear: being a man is doing the right thing. Same principle, but I guess you never learned that lesson.

Being a stand up person is about doing the right thing and being honest and having integrity. If you have a problem, you let people know without being immature.

It was an obvious error in judgment by Tony, get over it. It does not make him a horrible person. As you said, even you left a penny once, which meant even you make Tony Parker like mistakes.

I have clearly said that is an error in judgment and not indicative of Tony as a person.

Kori: if the manager is just as bad as the waiter, get up and leave. Leave 0 tip. What point does leaving a penny make that leaving 0 tip does not? Write a note, file a complaint with corporate office if there is one. Write a bad review online...there are many options. Leaving a penny tip is not a mature way to get a point across. Does it make you a terrible person, no. It is hard to turn the other cheek sometimes, but it is the right thing to do. If the wait staff and managers are rude, you leave nothing for a tip, never come back and spread negative word-of-mouth.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:26 PM
What point does leaving a penny make that leaving 0 tip does not?

Makes you feel better and makes your point. Immature would be throwing a big fit and making a scene. Mature would be leaving a penny and leaving.

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Makes you feel better and makes your point.

How does leaving a penny out of your hard earned money make one feel good?

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
How does leaving a penny out of your hard earned money make one feel good?

I throw pennies in the trash.

ChumpDumper
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I left a losing lottery ticket as a tip once.

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM

Thats against the law kori :nope

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Thats against the law kori :nope

Well not exactly in the trash... I just throw my change on the street.

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Makes you feel better and makes your point. Immature would be throwing a big fit and making a scene. Mature would be leaving a penny and leaving.

Exactly. It is just two ways of doing things I guess. I feel better when I know I have been put in a situation with a negative person and handled myself with dignity. I refuse to let other people's negativity affect my outlook on life and how I treat others.

You do not have to respect another person, but you should treat them with respect. Just my take on things. I have lost my cool on more than one occasion but I actively think about it and work on it as much as I can. Even the nicest people lose their cool, but that does not make it right.

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:31 PM
I left a losing lottery ticket as a tip once.

What kind? You don't see many of the higher priced ones laying around. You coulve really messed wit him. :rollin

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Exactly. It is just two ways of doing things I guess. I feel better when I know I have been put in a situation with a negative person and handled myself with dignity. I refuse to let other people's negativity affect my outlook on life and how I treat others.

You do not have to respect another person, but you should treat them with respect. Just my take on things. I have lost my cool on more than one occasion but I actively think about it and work on it as much as I can. Even the nicest people lose their cool, but that does not make it right.

I just see nothing undignified about leaving a penny. In fact I think it's a good way not to blow up about something.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Anyway, someone should search for Manny's story about Manu not tipping him... then Manny calling Manu out about it on ManuGinobili.com. :lmao

ducks
08-10-2008, 04:35 PM
I hate when people start yelling at the servers to make their point

century
Why do you say that, i enjoy reading their experiences. It brings insight on how they truly are..

I just remembered my meeting with Bowen. I stood in line at KFC when Bruce came in and accidentally parked himself in front of me. When I protested he accidentally kicked me and stepped on my foot. Then he apologized because it was an accident. Anyways he ordered a bucket of dark meat, cornbread and a supersized watermelon slushie. He even left me his change, 41 cents and told me to buy myself a bandage and some painkillers.

ducks
Anyway, someone should search for Manny's story about Manu not tipping him... then Manny calling Manu out about it on ManuGinobili.com. :lmao

take a very long time with all the manu threads here:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

DPG21920
When you try and make yourself feel better, to quote from a batman movie: "That's not justice, that's revenge. Justice is about restoring harmony, righting wrongs, revenge is about making yourself feel better"

I am preaching today! LOL

http://www.mohea.com/photoalbums/2005/baptism/images/2005-01-30_church_choir.jpg

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM

Thanks pple can always use the change for more productive things in life, as opposed to using it to make their .01 cent points to shitty waiters.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:37 PM
When you try and make yourself feel better, to quote from a batman movie: "That's not justice, that's revenge. Justice is about restoring harmony, righting wrongs, revenge is about making yourself feel better"

Well that's cool and all, but I don't watch superhero movies. :lol

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:38 PM
I wonder what Manu had to say?

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Here's the Manu/Manny tipping story:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10553&highlight=manu+valet

Manu claimed he didn't have his wallet :lol

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Kori = Malcolm X
DPG = Martin Luther King Jr.

LOL

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
Here's the Manu/Manny tipping story:

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10553&highlight=manu+valet

Manu claimed he didn't have his wallet :lol

Now thats funny, thanks Kori for bringing the link

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Kori = Malcolm X
DPG = Martin Luther King Jr.

LOL

I like Martin Luther King Jr. better...:rolleyes

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:44 PM
That is some funny stuff Manny. I can not believe he responded, see, that is a stand up guy!

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
That is some funny stuff Manny. I can not believe he responded, see, that is a stand up guy!

I have never read any Tony apologiez...Kori you have any other links to share? :nope

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Oh and timvp has a lot of meeting Spurs stories... Stephen Jackson borrowed a CD from him and never gave it back :lol and a lot of other funny stuff.

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I have never read any Tony apologiez...Kori you have any other links to share? :nope

I do not think it is right to judge people on isolated incidents. As long as the scale tips in the nice direction it is o.k. with me. Tony might have done a few things, but so has everyone. I have heard enough both ways to suggest that it is simply a matter of timing.

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Oh and timvp has a lot of meeting Spurs stories... Stephen Jackson borrowed a CD from him and never gave it back :lol and a lot of other funny stuff.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 04:48 PM
Vinny Del Negro borrowed my gold toe socks and never returned them, that bastard!

J.T.
08-10-2008, 04:49 PM
I met Tim Duncan at a CounterStrike LAN party and we played Madden for nine hours. He lost every game because he insisted on playing as the Bears. I played as the Patriots and used the "Steal Defense Signals" cheat code.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-10-2008, 04:50 PM

You know a Tony Parker message board?

edgar
08-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Well only reason why I may still like him is because he is a spurs..otherwise, forget it.

We are all one team with one goal... :flag:

timvp
08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Oh and timvp has a lot of meeting Spurs stories... Stephen Jackson borrowed a CD from him and never gave it back :lol and a lot of other funny stuff.True Buckets ended up stealing a UGK album from me. This thread has been done about 45 times on this forum so those really interested should use the search feature. The highlights I remember include timvp losing a game of 1 on 1 against Jaren Jackson when Jaren Jackson spotted him wearing a Jaren Jackson jersey, Angel Luv meeting Rasho at a bread factory, Manny getting a blurry picture of Beno at PF Changs and some poster (forgot who) saying that Pop cut him off in the Trinity parking lot and then Pop flipped him off.

Kori Ellis
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
To the posters, I deleted ... Enough with the Tony vs Manu B.S.

Thanks.

kskonn
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM

Well you said, it everyone has there own opinion, and I believe that Parker is just as nice, classy, etc... as anyone I have ever met. Again, besides this guy not letting hot chicks interupt his practice, and not tipping your friend, who we don't know is a good waiter, you have said nothing to explain what a dick he his. Neither of those events seem all that bad, I really think you just don't like him and you want other people not to like him as well.By the way I have met manu, horry, finley etc... whoever else has played in San Antonio for the last 3 years, they were all nice. In my opinion Finley was probably the most laid back.

Brutalis
08-10-2008, 05:28 PM
why?

Dude tipped a QUARTER. Get over yourself. :lol

ShoogarBear
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM

Well, I guess that was better than a Fresh Prince ending.

ShoogarBear
08-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Wait, what's this about Christy Canyon stories?

kskonn
08-10-2008, 05:42 PM
i think century wins the best stories contest

Admiral
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I have a few from the late 90's when the Spurs played at Charlotte:

-I saw Tim Duncan play in Charlotte during his rookie season. They would always bring a player or two back out after the game for an interview, and this time they chose Tim. There were probably 50-100 fans who waited near the tunnel, and when Tim left the court he stopped to sign autographs. He didn't seem bothered by it, although he did it in his usual serious business-like manner.

-Sean Elliott did the same thing another year. Very nice and conversational with everyone. You could tell that Sean was a very genuine, down-to-earth person.

-Avery Johnson did not sign autographs, but waved to us when he ran down the tunnel.

-David Robinson was the nicest. A group of about 100 of us were standing near the player exit underneath the arena in Charlotte. We couldn't get closer than about 50 yards from where the players came out, but I heard that players would sometimes walk over to the fans to sign autographs. We waited for about 15 minutes, and David came out. He walked all the way over to where we were and spent about 20 minutes signing autographs. He could not have been more genuine and down-to-earth. The cool thing was that he told us he had to be somewhere, yet he still took the time to be pleasant and accommodating. I will never forget it.

On the topic of superstars being obligated to their fans, I don't expect them to spend hours signing autographs. I'm sure all the attention gets old when you just want to go out in public and have a meal or spend time with family. With that said, I have very little patience for athletes who are rude to people. For all the money they make, I view it as a player's duty to at least be pleasant and polite to people. While seeing fans is a routine thing for players, seeing a favorite player is not so routine for each fan. Players should remember that.

Thankfully, our Spurs players historically take the time to be nice to fans. That goes a long way. :)

Brutalis
08-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I have a few from the late 90's when the Spurs played at Charlotte:

-I saw Tim Duncan play in Charlotte during his rookie season. They would always bring a player or two back out after the game for an interview, and this time they chose Tim. There were probably 50-100 fans who waited near the tunnel, and when Tim left the court he stopped to sign autographs. He didn't seem bothered by it, although he did it in his usual serious business-like manner.

-Sean Elliott did the same thing another year. Very nice and conversational with everyone. You could tell that Sean was a very genuine, down-to-earth person.

-Avery Johnson did not sign autographs, but waved to us when he ran down the tunnel.

-David Robinson was the nicest. A group of about 100 of us were standing near the player exit underneath the arena in Charlotte. We couldn't get closer than about 50 yards from where the players came out, but I heard that players would sometimes walk over to the fans to sign autographs. We waited for about 15 minutes, and David came out. He walked all the way over to where we were and spent about 20 minutes signing autographs. He could not have been more genuine and down-to-earth. The cool thing was that he told us he had to be somewhere, yet he still took the time to be pleasant and accommodating. I will never forget it.

On the topic of superstars being obligated to their fans, I don't expect them to spend hours signing autographs. I'm sure all the attention gets old when you just want to go out in public and have a meal or spend time with family. With that said, I have very little patience for athletes who are rude to people. For all the money they make, I view it as a player's duty to at least be pleasant and polite to people. While seeing fans is a routine thing for players, seeing a favorite player is not so routine for each fan. Players should remember that.

Thankfully, our Spurs players historically take the time to be nice to fans. That goes a long way. :)

A few years ago in a preseason game @ Memphis, Timmy was IR'd for obvious reasons. I had box seats and court passes. I got to stand in front of the rope. I felt spechuuul. But after halftime Tim walked out of the tunnel last, and I was sort of star struck. I didn't even THINK to get an auto, I just had a camera and yelped something like "Can I get a picture Tim." And he turned and looked and saw me in his jersey, smiled and posed half way turned around for a few seconds and then kept on. I got my picture. And most people would have ignored me.

DPG21920
08-10-2008, 06:50 PM
True Buckets ended up stealing a UGK album from me. This thread has been done about 45 times on this forum so those really interested should use the search feature. The highlights I remember include timvp losing a game of 1 on 1 against Jaren Jackson when Jaren Jackson spotted him wearing a Jaren Jackson jersey, Angel Luv meeting Rasho at a bread factory, Manny getting a blurry picture of Beno at PF Changs and some poster (forgot who) saying that Pop cut him off in the Trinity parking lot and then Pop flipped him off.

2-Pac for life

lefty
08-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I outrebounded Oberto once

Magic_Johnson
08-10-2008, 06:59 PM
i saw Tony at Disneyland Paris last summer. He was with eva and his family. I was with my niece and they take a picture with her, they were very nice.

ElNono
08-10-2008, 09:08 PM
I've personally met Tony Parker and Sean Marks. Both great guys. Also a non-Spur, but overall nice person: Bill Walton.
As far as Manu, not only I know him personally, I've met who is my wife today through him. I definitely owe him being one of the happiest guys around.
While I wouldn't necessarily consider myself a friend of him, he always remembers us and comes talk to us when he's in town with the Spurs.

wisnub
08-11-2008, 12:10 PM

The team pays for player's salary and a player can make extra income thorugh commercials or other business ventures. I dont deny tv stations contributes team's income. But huge part of a basketball club income comes from tickets and merchandise sale, namely: jerseys, bobbleheads, team shirts with player's character, posters, etc. The one who's willing to spend more than $100 for a piece of original jersey is definitely a fan. So fans did contribute to his income. Thats the reason why there is a difference in terms of big and small market. It is believed that in some areas people tend to spend more on those things compared to the average spending of fans as a whole market.

angel_luv
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM

If I give you a bank. will you keep the change for me?
:)

One time at a Open practice, I left my spot in line to meet Pop to go talk to Rasho, whom I had met before but have always preferred to Pop. :lol

I asked Rasho to take a picture with me. He said okay. As I stood by him, I looked up at him and with all the admiration in the world said, "You're tall."
( I had a better speech rehearsed but Rasho was too cute and made me forget it all.)

Rasho laughed at my obvious observation and said, " Not really."

Another time, I was trying to tell Manu in a noisy room that I was " Sweetpea" on his fan forum, where I had spoken to him numerous times.
Manu misheard at first and said, " You're sleepy?"
I am sure he wondered why on earth I would be telling him that. :lol

Malik was one of the nicest Spurs I think. The three opportunities I had to speak to him he was always very friendly and gave me his full attention.
With a lot of celebrities, you feel nervous and rushed, as if the person has better uses for their time than to spend it with you.

That was never the case with Sho, Gino, or Malik.

Timmy I have never really spoken two- both because I have only seen him up close three times and am always too in awe of him to formulate words.
With fans, I have always seen Timmy as the strong silent type but I have never known him to be unpleasant, except to obvious autograph hounds.

Beno was always nice to me, with the exception of one occassion.
But for that one, I was able to pay him back the same night, by personally convincing Big Kevin to make Beno sing "Jingle Bells" solo for the crowd that had gathered for the appearance Beno was getting ready to make.
Merry Christmas to me. :lol

Tony has never responded to me at the railing, but I have never really tried to get know him as I have the others.

This year, I want to meet Hedo and then I can retire as a Spurs stalker. :lol

duncan228
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Timmy I have never really spoken two- both because I have only seen him up close three times and am always too in awe of him to formulate words.

Can you imagine what would happen to me? :lmao

angel_luv
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Can you imagine what would happen to me? :lmao

:)

I. Hustle
08-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Malik was one of the nicest Spurs I think. The three opportunities I had to speak to him he was always very friendly and gave me his full attention.
With a lot of celebrities, you feel nervous and rushed, as if the person has better uses for their time than to spend it with you.

I met Malik before a game at the dome once at the Spurs shop. He was cool as hell we had a ’99 champs flag and he signed it and bought a bear with his number on it and signed it and gave it to us. Then he took a bunch of pics with us and even took a pic of my ex and I. He was joking around and acting dumb but that is what was cool about him

jcrod
08-11-2008, 03:24 PM
The whole point of this thread was to share experiences that ppl had with spurs players. One of my stories had to deal with my friend waitering on Parker. He gave a quarter and was very bad on his part since he could've just left nothing. I believe my friend that he did not gave him bad service because its freaking Tony Parker! How many times do you have the chance to see him in person and especially wait on him. You certanly wouldn't treat him bad unless he was a DICK to you first but even then, you would try to see the positives out the whole experience.

Also I continue to pin point my point across that I do not think parker is a dick because of only this but because from other experience (Spurs open practice, stated earlier) he was too cocky in front of spurs fans with his actions.

I base my likings of spurs players based on their actions on and off the court. One thing is that you can play great basketball but even great basketball doesn't make you a great people person...just ask Ron Artest and dude that got punched by him.:ihit

You and your friends our waiters and you don't know what it means when someone leaves .25 cents. Your friend sucks as a waiter. My wife was a waitress way back and we generally leave 20% unless the service sucks.

You base your opinion on your friend and open practice, practice. OK you know Tony.

Dude, leaving nothing could mean you forgot or just don't tip. When you leave .25 cents it means you remember to tip, but your service sucks. Get it?

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM
You and your friends our waiters and you don't know what it means when someone leaves .25 cents. Your friend sucks as a waiter. My wife was a waitress way back and we generally leave 20% unless the service sucks.

You base your opinion on your friend and open practice, practice. OK you know Tony.

Dude, leaving nothing could mean you forgot or just don't tip. When you leave .25 cents it means you remember to tip, but your service sucks. Get it?

I get that you do not understand much. How many people do you know that "forget" to tip? I have never once forgot to tip someone. If the service was bad, you know it. If you are a waiter and are rude, you realize what you are doing. If you are intentionally ignoring a table to focus on others, you know it. So if you get a bad tip, or no tip you understand why it happened.

So your saying they get the bill, look at it, pull money out to pay but forgot that a tip needs to be included as they are looking at the bill and their money simultaneously? Or if you use a credit card to pay, hand it to the waiter, they go charge it, you have to wait until you get your card back and then sign the receipt right under where it says tip and you forget?

jcrod
08-11-2008, 03:41 PM
I get that you do not understand much. How many people do you know that "forget" to tip? I have never once forgot to tip someone. If the service was bad, you know it. If you are a waiter and are rude, you realize what you are doing. If you are intentionally ignoring a table to focus on others, you know it. So if you get a bad tip, or no tip you understand why it happened.

So your saying they get the bill, look at it, pull money out to pay but forgot that a tip needs to be included as they are looking at the bill and their money simultaneously? Or if you use a credit card to pay, hand it to the waiter, they go charge it, you have to wait until you get your card back and then sign the receipt right under where it says tip and you forget?

WTF? No I get that you don't understand. Where in the hell did i say that.

This is common practice known among waiters. My wife was one. If you leave a quater it means you did not forget to tip, but believed your service sucked. Is it that hard to understand.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 03:44 PM

You said right there that they forgot. That is just the worst logic as I already explained.

You do not understand. You can make a point by leaving no tip rather than leaving the quarter. Leaving a quarter just makes you look petty. If you have that big of a problem with the service, file a formal complaint and tell the waiter you will not be leaving a tip.

But we have already discussed this at length in this thread. Feel free to leave a quarter "to make your point", I am sure that waiter really gives a damn what you think.

jcrod
08-11-2008, 03:51 PM
You said right there that they forgot. That is just the worst logic as I already explained.

You do not understand. You can make a point by leaving no tip rather than leaving the quarter. Leaving a quarter just makes you look petty. If you have that big of a problem with the service, file a formal complaint and tell the waiter you will not be leaving a tip.

But we have already discussed this at length in this thread. Feel free to leave a quarter "to make your point", I am sure that waiter really gives a damn what you think.

You have no clue, look what you highlighted on my qoute and your response. If you can't comprehend, no use in trying. Bye MLK. :rolleyes

jcrod
08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
I meet Doc Rivers right after his last season, we were eating next to him. Great guy.

I saw Tim and AD at Pizza Hut and just walked by them and tapped both of them on the shoulders and said good game.

My wife meet Sean E. before he was married to his first wife, he tried to ask her out. We were already married, she still teases me every now and then saying she could've been married to a Spur. LOL.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 04:01 PM

Do you see what happened? You said they could of forgotten to leave a tip. I then responded by explaining how it is nearly impossible to forget to leave a tip. I even included the reasons and provided examples that proved it would be very hard to forget. How can you not see the link between you saying someone could forget and my response to that by showing you how it would be extremely difficult to forget?

Is calling me MLK a bad thing? Why don't you try and take things in context, it was a joke between Kori and I that highlighted the fact I am a more passive person and she is a more prove a point bluntly person. Get a clue.

Roadrunners
08-11-2008, 05:24 PM
played golf with nazr one time at quarry. he took lessons from a friend of mine and they were playing 9 holes. got invited. very very nice but very quiet also. he mentioned about how they really werent supposed to play golf but it was before season started just practicing. he left after 9 holes to pick his wife up from airport, but a good experience.

Bulwark
08-11-2008, 05:41 PM
I met Tim Duncan back in '06. Of all places at CompUSA. He was WAITING IN LINE for the PC repair/support with his desktop under one arm. I walked up to him told him "I'm big fan Mr. Duncan. Nice to meet you" and shook his hand. He then said "It's nice to meet you too.", but he didn't sound as excited as I was. Go figure ;)

jcrod
08-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Do you see what happened? You said they could of forgotten to leave a tip. I then responded by explaining how it is nearly impossible to forget to leave a tip. I even included the reasons and provided examples that proved it would be very hard to forget. How can you not see the link between you saying someone could forget and my response to that by showing you how it would be extremely difficult to forget?

Is calling me MLK a bad thing? Why don't you try and take things in context, it was a joke between Kori and I that highlighted the fact I am a more passive person and she is a more prove a point bluntly person. Get a clue.

Ok last time i'm going to attempt to explain to your litte brain. You keep going back that i said THEY, I said you, meaning people in general....and yes its plausible for people to forgot to leave a tip, not likely but possible. I never said THEY could've forgot. I'm stating reasons why he didn't JUST not leave a tip.

Now, you keep stating it would've been better to leave no tip (leaving the waiter to conclude he wasn't a tipper) or to complain to mgmt.

By leaving .25 cents (general rule that you never heard of) he's telling the waiter that he does tip, didn't forget, had enough money etc.., but felt his service was horrible. Most people do this instead of complaining. What don't you get? I don't complain unless I was insulted or my food was bad, not because the wait staff is horrible.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Ok last time i'm going to attempt to explain to your litte brain. You keep going back that i said THEY, I said you, meaning people in general....and yes its plausible for people to forgot to leave a tip, not likely but possible. I never said THEY could've forgot. I'm stating reasons why he didn't JUST not leave a tip.

Now, you keep stating it would've been better to leave no tip (leaving the waiter to conclude he wasn't a tipper) or to complain to mgmt.

By leaving .25 cents (general rule that you never heard of) he's telling the waiter that he does tip, didn't forget, had enough money etc.., but felt his service was horrible. Most people do this instead of complaining. What don't you get? I don't complain unless I was insulted or my food was bad, not because the wait staff is horrible.

My little brain...

You are a human complaint

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 06:53 PM
You will complain because the food was bad, but not if the service was bad enough to make you leave a .25 cent tip?

If you want to make all these assumptions then maybe what you say could be true. But for most adults with any kind of logical sense about the way the world works, no tip = bad service. 99.99% of waiters would assume that if a person did not leave a tip, that it was because they did not like the service. Not because they "forgot" or just do not tip.

Leaving a .25 cent tip says the same thing, but does it in a rude way. That would be like me arguing with you and instead of saying: "I respectfully disagree", I would say: "Your have a little brain". See the difference. The same message is conveyed but one makes you look like a prick. Same with leaving a .25 cent tip. Be a man, tell the waiter or manager to their face that you did not appreciate the service and that you will not be leaving a tip.

If service is bad because they are just bad waiters or new or zoned out, then you do not leave a .25 cent tip do you? No, you leave a discounted tip, say 5-10%. If they are rude and that is why the service was bad, you leave no tip and you leave a note or tell them to their face. Leaving a quarter IN MY OPINION is just petty.

jcrod
08-11-2008, 07:44 PM
You will complain because the food was bad, but not if the service was bad enough to make you leave a .25 cent tip?

If you want to make all these assumptions then maybe what you say could be true. But for most adults with any kind of logical sense about the way the world works, no tip = bad service. 99.99% of waiters would assume that if a person did not leave a tip, that it was because they did not like the service. Not because they "forgot" or just do not tip.

Leaving a .25 cent tip says the same thing, but does it in a rude way. That would be like me arguing with you and instead of saying: "I respectfully disagree", I would say: "Your have a little brain". See the difference. The same message is conveyed but one makes you look like a prick. Same with leaving a .25 cent tip. Be a man, tell the waiter or manager to their face that you did not appreciate the service and that you will not be leaving a tip.

If service is bad because they are just bad waiters or new or zoned out, then you do not leave a .25 cent tip do you? No, you leave a discounted tip, say 5-10%. If they are rude and that is why the service was bad, you leave no tip and you leave a note or tell them to their face. Leaving a quarter IN MY OPINION is just petty.

Be a man :lmao

Again, you have no idea. I've stated over and over its a known way of telling a waiter. My wife was one, its common practice, but ok, I'm not being a Man.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Be a man :lmao

Again, you have no idea. I've stated over and over its a known way of telling a waiter. My wife was one, its common practice, but ok, I'm not being a Man.

I have 3 brothers that are waiters and we have discussed this many times. I am agreeing with you, I have clearly stated that leaving .25 cents = no tip with regards to the message sent. I am aware that it is common practice. Just because it is common does not make it right, it makes you look petty.

If you would take the time to read my posts instead of just getting argumentative, you would see that.

Racism used to be a common practice, crime is common are those things good? You saying I have a little brain is the result of you being rude and petty. You could of easily just disagreed, but you took the low road. Same thing, but I guess in our society, people are commonly rude and petty, guess that makes a point.

ducks
08-11-2008, 07:55 PM
I have 3 brothers that are waiters and we have discussed this many times. I am agreeing with you, I have clearly stated that leaving .25 cents = no tip with regards to the message sent. I am aware that it is common practice. Just because it is common does not make it right, it makes you look petty.

If you would take the time to read my posts instead of just getting argumentative, you would see that.

Racism used to be a common practice, crime is common are those things good? You calling saying I have a little brain is the result of you being rude and petty. You could of easily just disagreed, but you took the low road. Same thing, but I guess in our society, people are commonly rude and petty, guess that makes a point.
it is your option that it makes you look petty

if the waiter sucks he does not deserve a tip because he did not earn the tip

it is not right to give something for a deed nto done

unless the guess just wants to give a serve a GIFT

some posters feel it is ok if the service sucked and leaving a quarter is better then nothing

MoSpur
08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
I have only run into a few Spurs. Horry at HEB. He was cool. It was around noon and all I did was say hi. He responded and just smiled. I ran into Manu at the Apple Store at La Cantera. He was very cool and was cool with taking pictures and signing. His wife didn't look too into it though. I ran into Malik at North Star. He was pretty much on his phone the whole time there. He did acknowledge people waving to him. DRob was the best though. He talked and posed for a picture. He is the most down to Earth of them all.

ducks
08-11-2008, 07:57 PM
I have only run into a few Spurs. Horry at HEB. He was cool. It was around noon and all I did was say hi. He responded and just smiled. I ran into Manu at the Apple Store at La Cantera. He was very cool and was cool with taking pictures and signing. His wife didn't look too into it though. I ran into Malik at North Star. He was pretty much on his phone the whole time there. He did acknowledge people waving to him. DRob was the best though. He talked and posed for a picture. He is the most down to Earth of them all.
manu is smart he buys apple and sucks fuck on bill gates the greedies idiot in the world

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 07:59 PM

some posters feel it is ok if the service sucked and leaving a quarter is better then nothing

Exactly, it is my opinion and I have stated many times throughout this thread that it is just different ways of doing things for different people. But do not kid yourself, no leaves a quarter thinking it is "better than nothing".

Just like people who fight vs. people who talk things out. Two different ways to handle a problem, it is my universal belief that people should be treated with respect even if you do not respect who they are. That would make leaving a .25 cent tip a bad way to handle a situation. A mature person (we all make mistakes though, and a lapse in judgment a few times does not make someone a bad person or immature) would tell the waiter they will not be leaving a tip to their face and explain why, or leave a note.

MoSpur
08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Ducks I've heard that Mr. and the misses donate huge amounts of money to various charities.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 08:03 PM

if the waiter sucks he does not deserve a tip because he did not earn the tip

it is not right to give something for a deed nto done

unless the guess just wants to give a serve a GIFT

Do you read what people write in their posts?

If the waiter sucks, they do not deserve a tip. I have said that already. Tip = good service and if the service is not up to a standard, then you adjust the tip accordingly. If the service is so bad that you wish to "make a point", you do not be rude about it. You leave NO tip at all and explain why.

I have said over and over in this thread that it is perfectly acceptable not to tip if the service is bad. It is not ok to be rude.

edgar
08-11-2008, 08:05 PM
I met Tim Duncan back in '06. Of all places at CompUSA. He was WAITING IN LINE for the PC repair/support with his desktop under one arm. I walked up to him told him "I'm big fan Mr. Duncan. Nice to meet you" and shook his hand. He then said "It's nice to meet you too.", but he didn't sound as excited as I was. Go figure ;)

Thats funny..I would have asked Timmy why he was waiting in line for instead. :rollin

ElNono
08-11-2008, 08:15 PM
manu is smart he buys apple and sucks fuck on bill gates the greedies idiot in the world

Hate to say this, because for ONCE I see ducks say something nice about Manu... :lol

Manu is actually a Windows guy... Not that he has anything against Macs or Apple, but last I checked his trusty laptop runs Windows... I *think* he got Manny an iMac for home, but I don't remember exactly...
He did buy iPods for the entire Argentina team last year after they qualified to the Olympics...

Manu'sMagicalLeftHand
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
manu is smart

http://humor.beecy.net/misc/hellfrozeover/hell-froze-over.jpg

tonyisamazing
08-11-2008, 10:15 PM
I met tim ducan at the sprint store. he and his wife were there getting phones and i waited by the door for about 30 minutes and when he walked by I said hi and he said hi back and he said it really nice. I also met malik rose and he was a super nice guy he talked to me for a long time and he gave me an autograph and everything! I also saw fabricio oberto at the grocery store but didn't say anything i just walked by him

LakerLanny
08-11-2008, 11:39 PM

I always tip 20% or more, even if the service is bad.

I need to tighten that up.

LakerLanny
08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
I saw Tim and AD at Pizza Hut and just walked by them and tapped both of them on the shoulders and said good game.

Tim and AD eat at Pizza Hut?

ducks
08-11-2008, 11:41 PM
http://humor.beecy.net/misc/hellfrozeover/hell-froze-over.jpg

that almost is sig worthy:lol

ploto
08-12-2008, 12:17 AM
Just to get into the tipping conversation for fun.

Yes, people do actually forget to tip. There are people who pay with a credit card who sign it and forget to add the tip. There are more casual places where the diner pays at a cashier and does not pay the waiter or waitress at the table, and they have to remember to leave the tip separately as they leave the table.

Leaving no tip sends the message that you are not a tipper-- it does not send the message that the service was poor. I always tip well no matter what but then just never go back.

And yes, any person of a certain age knows that leaving a quarter is an intentional way of saying the service was bad. Some people do not like confrontation and do not want to complain. It gets their message across clearly without altercation.

Leaving nothing signals that you are possibly just cheap and never tip-- it can make the waiter think the service was fine, but a quarter means you are a tipper and you remembered to tip but that the service was that bad.

Also, to add to the fray, in some countries tipping is not even customary in restaurants or it is specifically included in the price of the meal. There have been plenty of players in the NBA who have come from Europe who have to be told by someone that tipping is expected and how much because even in instances where tipping occurs, it may only customarily be like 5%.

As to Spurs encounters, they have all been nice to me- players, families, and friends alike. Pretty much everyone I have met connected to NBA players has been nice whether affiliated with the team for which I was rooting or even the opponent. Even Rick Barry smiled at me. :)

Ronaldo McDonald
08-12-2008, 12:33 AM

Nice stroy.

But I remember reading in some thread not too long ago that you were like sixteen...correct me if I'm wrong...do they actually hire 8 year olds at the ER in Del Rio or what lol? wtf

Ronaldo McDonald
08-12-2008, 12:42 AM
I met David Robinson in a Hotel at Disney world when I was really young. He set my standards for meeting celebrities really really high since he was so polite (autograph, pictures with his son his shoulders and the rest of his familly around him). He was awesome, talked with us, asked US questions.

marini martini
08-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Nice stroy.

But I remember reading in some thread not too long ago that you were like sixteen...correct me if I'm wrong...do they actually hire 8 year olds at the ER in Del Rio or what lol? wtf

This is the story he wrote in 8th grade junior high. Got an A plus, on it!!:toast

Killakobe81
08-12-2008, 02:28 AM
I know you guy may not want to hear this but i was flying back from LA on a biz trip (this was just AFTER) Tony's marriage last year and Eva Longoria was on the plane in first class ...I wished her congrats ...and Tony picked her up at the SAT ...so i saw him up close didnt get to chat ...Eva is pretty but extremely SKINNY almost looks anoxeric and not as impressive i person. In fact many of you have more attractive women on your signatures ...then Eva. i travel a lot for work and I see women in NY and LA normal ones not models that are more attractive. Dont ge me wrong I would tap that a$$ ...but was expecting more ...

jcrod
08-12-2008, 03:47 AM
Just to get into the tipping conversation for fun.

Yes, people do actually forget to tip. There are people who pay with a credit card who sign it and forget to add the tip. There are more casual places where the diner pays at a cashier and does not pay the waiter or waitress at the table, and they have to remember to leave the tip separately as they leave the table.
Leaving no tip sends the message that you are not a tipper-- it does not send the message that the service was poor. I always tip well no matter what but then just never go back.

And yes, any person of a certain age knows that leaving a quarter is an intentional way of saying the service was bad. Some people do not like confrontation and do not want to complain. It gets their message across clearly without altercation.
Leaving nothing signals that you are possibly just cheap and never tip-- it can make the waiter think the service was fine, but a quarter means you are a tipper and you remembered to tip but that the service was that bad.
Also, to add to the fray, in some countries tipping is not even customary in restaurants or it is specifically included in the price of the meal. There have been plenty of players in the NBA who have come from Europe who have to be told by someone that tipping is expected and how much because even in instances where tipping occurs, it may only customarily be like 5%.

As to Spurs encounters, they have all been nice to me- players, families, and friends alike. Pretty much everyone I have met connected to NBA players has been nice whether affiliated with the team for which I was rooting or even the opponent. Even Rick Barry smiled at me. :)

Thank you very much, you stated exactly all the points i was trying to make.

jcrod
08-12-2008, 03:54 AM

Racism used to be a common practice, crime is common are those things good? You saying I have a little brain is the result of you being rude and petty. You could of easily just disagreed, but you took the low road. Same thing, but I guess in our society, people are commonly rude and petty, guess that makes a point.

:lol Thats a great comparison....are you freaking kidding me??

You're the one that started being rude, by saying "I get that you do not understand much." I just followed suit, get off your supposedly high horse.

DPG21920
08-12-2008, 04:00 AM

You do realize your post came first? It is a fair comparison. Just because leaving a quarter is common practice, does not make it ok. Just like other social injustices. It is not on the scale of racism or crime, but they share an underlying theme; lack of respect for your fellow man/woman

DPG21920
08-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Feel free to continue leaving a quarter. My question to you is: would leaving no tip and explaining to the manager or waiter why hurt any thing?

DPG21920
08-12-2008, 04:10 AM
Perfect example of what the point I am trying to make. If what I said one time was rude (which I will admit and apologize for) why is it necessary for you to not only "follow suit", but to continue with it throughout the rest of your posts?

Same thing with leaving a quarter. Why lower yourself? Do you not agree that leaving no tip and explaining it in a mature manner to the waiter or leaving a note gets the same point across without being a d-bag about it?

DieMrBond
08-12-2008, 06:36 AM
I apologise to anyone who relies on tips for a living, but this whole tipping business to me is a completely ridiculous scam. In Australia, tipping is practically non-existent and is a privilege when it does happen, not a requirement. The only times I have ever come across tipping, is in Pizza Delivery (or the equivalent) where you might (if you were feeling generous) leave the change. Even like a $2 tip is good.

Thats it. No one complains. Everyone gets paid a real wage. People don't need to rely on the generosity of others (apart from their boss) to survive the brutal economy. How is that not a better system? Pay people what they are worth.

On the subject topic, I wish i had the chance to meet a Spur, but thats kind of unlikely unless they decided to vacation in my neck of the woods. I think the closest i've come is by association - i shot around with a NBL player back in High School, who played against Andrew Gaze, who was a Spur once upon a time.... man, thats lame.

KidCongo
08-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I apologise to anyone who relies on tips for a living, but this whole tipping business to me is a completely ridiculous scam. In Australia, tipping is practically non-existent and is a privilege when it does happen, not a requirement. The only times I have ever come across tipping, is in Pizza Delivery (or the equivalent) where you might (if you were feeling generous) leave the change. Even like a $2 tip is good.

Thats it. No one complains. Everyone gets paid a real wage. People don't need to rely on the generosity of others (apart from their boss) to survive the brutal economy. How is that not a better system? Pay people what they are worth.

In cities people usually tip, but in country towns people get shocked. They always think you over pay and they probably haven't heard of tipping.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Nice stroy.

:lol I made up the story.

This is the story he wrote in 8th grade junior high. Got an A plus, on it!!:toast
Not exactly, but let's go with that. :toast

Robinzine
08-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I was sitting in an L.A. bar back in the day when George Gervin sits down next to me and orders a scotch. The bartender brings him his drink, and George stares at it with a puzzled look and says "Where's the ice, man?":toast

Fingaroll44
08-12-2008, 12:08 PM

LOL..wow...i put them in a jar and after months of collecting....i go to the coinstar @ HEB and...CASH IN BABY!!

angel_luv
08-12-2008, 03:13 PM
I was sitting in an L.A. bar back in the day when George Gervin sits down next to me and orders a scotch. The bartender brings him his drink, and George stares at it with a puzzled look and says "Where's the ice, man?":toast

alamo50
08-12-2008, 03:18 PM
Horry and Iceman looked and acted very bored and tired when they did the signing in Paris in 2003. At least Gervin tried to laugh when I presented my #44 jersey for him to sign.

The rest of my Spurs encounters have been all good, but too many to describe.

lefty
08-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I met David Robinson in a Hotel at Disney world when I was really young. He set my standards for meeting celebrities really really high since he was so polite (autograph, pictures with his son his shoulders and the rest of his familly around him). He was awesome, talked with us, asked US questions.

Class act :tu

baseline bum
08-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Feel free to continue leaving a quarter. My question to you is: would leaving no tip and explaining to the manager or waiter why hurt any thing?

That would get the waiter fired. A 25 cent tip is about a clear a message as one can give to a waiter to stop being a dick or get off his lazy ass and work without being a total dick about it.

DPG21920
08-12-2008, 03:56 PM
That would get the waiter fired. A 25 cent tip is about a clear a message as one can give to a waiter to stop being a dick or get off his lazy ass and work without being a total dick about it.

So calling the waiter over after you get the check and telling him/her in a calm, mature manner that you will not be leaving a tip because of the service is being a dick and will get them fired? But leaving a quarter in not being a dick and is the perfect way to make your point?

I. Hustle
08-12-2008, 04:19 PM
The stupid tipping posts are dominating this thread. Who gives a shit already?!