PDA

View Full Version : On The Topic of Parker...

Blackjack
08-10-2008, 03:08 AM
I've been seeing alot of threads and topics concerning Tony lately so WTF here goes... (This could get lengthy) :smokin

Here's my thoughts on 3 of the more popular Tony topics-

-Where Tony ranks:

Tony is a top 5 point guard in the league. I'd say between 3-5 but it's an opinion and that's it. The way I see it there might be 3 or 4 better points depending on criteria, but if you're asking me who I'd take above him (factoring age and ability) the only players I'd take above him are Paul and Williams.

-Tony v Manu:

Tony fans love to bag on Manu and Manu fans love to bag on Tony. Manu fans would have you believe Tony's a ball-hog and Tony fans would have you believe Manu purposely tries to steal Tony's shine. It's almost as if some fans believe there's some kind of rift/rivalry between them. The arguments can be entertaining at times (well, rarely:() but get real, there's no spite involved. Now, if you believe Tony and Manu can detract from each others game because the strengths of their skill-sets are too similar? I'd tend to agree.

Now you'd never confuse Manu and Tony's game on the surface, but boil them down and they're both slashers who are much more effective with the ball. Dont get me wrong. That's not all they are, but I actually believe that's one of the reasons the Spurs go into scoring droughts at times. The Spurs have been able to win 3 titles with them (so it's obviously not a fatal flaw) but the offense can become disjointed and teams are able to pack the paint against them when the outside shots aren't falling. I'm not saying one of them needs to be traded, just that (offensively speaking) they're not the ideal fit skill-wise which can be a detriment to them individually and to the teams overall offensive flow at times.

-Tony's future with the Spurs:

For the most part, it seems most on this board believe Tony's the future and the guy you have to keep and build around. While I understand the logic,(he's young, talented, and a PG) I'm not sure I agree that he's the type of player you build around.

To me Tony's an all-star player, but best suited to play the sidekick role. Sure he could start on most teams, but to me he's just not an M.V.P./ franchise level player. Granted, he's young and could prove me wrong, but I just don't see it. I also don't see Tony wanting to play the role of A.I. on the Sixers for the Spurs. That's what he'd be dealing with in the post Duncan era. The Spurs would most likely be mired in mediocrity struggling to build around a scoring point guard. I'm not saying Tony and A.I. are one in the same, just that it would be similar situations.

I'm not looking to get rid of Tony but it might actually serve both parties better in the long run if he is dealt. The Spurs are going to have a hard time signing a marquee free-agent in 2010, so maybe dealing Tony for a player that might be easier to build around is the way to go. Again, I'm not saying Tony needs to go, but if he ends up wanting to go to L.A.? I'm not sure what the Lakers team or payroll will look like in the next couple of years, but he'd probably have to be traded there. If that ends up being the case maybe Bynum becomes available with Pau still relatively young? It's not a likely scenario, but the Lakers seem like a logical choice for Tony so I'm just throwing it out there. (Just the thought of trading with the Lakers make me nauseous.) There's plenty of other options out there and if the Spurs could get the right player while sending Tony to a team (preferably on the east coast) that could be a contender with his arrival? It could be a win/win for both camps.

As a fan I'd like to see the "Big 3" all retire as Spurs, but not if it means having to watch Tony play out the rest of his career on a mediocre Spurs team. All I know is that, whatever happens... The Spurs' F.O. has alot of tough decisions to make over the next couple of seasons. Here's hoping they make the right ones. :toast

atlfan25
08-10-2008, 04:04 AM
fuck, that was long

next time you should bold the parts that give a summary of the entire post for dumb asses like me who are too lazy to read it all

sheyit...

m33p0
08-10-2008, 06:24 AM
parker is a top-5 point guard for 2 reasons: he's that good and; outside of the top 5, there's nothing.

Blackjack
08-11-2008, 02:20 AM
fuck, that was long

next time you should bold the parts that give a summary of the entire post for dumb asses like me who are too lazy to read it all

sheyit...

I take it you wouldn't be down with my word by word breakdown of "War and Peace?" :lol

I can't type worth a damn so it's hard to get motivated to respond to every topic I want to. I guess that shit builds up after awhile! Sorry you had to feel the wrath.:lol

I tried to clean it up and make it a little more readable, but no one will ever accuse me of being a pro.:lol

I've been viewing this board for 3 or 4 years but I'm still pretty green to being a poster. I'm one computer illiterate s.o.b. with alot to learn, so I'm down for any constructive criticism. :toast

I. Hustle
08-11-2008, 09:28 AM
Do you have cliff notes?

wisnub
08-11-2008, 01:16 PM
As for now, Tony should stay in SA because he learn the system all his life in NBA since drafted and I just feel Spurs offense will be different or sucks if he got replaced. I admit scoring drought happens, we definitely need to ADD ofensive player, not replace Big 3 which is the foundation of current successful Spurs roster.

Splitter supposed to be the "next Duncan" but him being a fag ruins it all although logically I dont blame him choosing money over SA. Basically we just need young fundamental big man who will become a monster and the fact that we have Duncan, as a mentor makies trasition easier. I got hopes on Mahinmi but Spurs will need better than that. I will scream and praying for Bosh but that is a hard case to pull coinsidering money and himn being a franchise in Raptors.

Addressing Manu vs Tony, I think this need to stop now. We are one team with one goal which is the characteristic of Spurs. Manu is definitely a world class unselfish player...he give his starting role if that helps team got W. Tony also "handle the star ego nicely on the court" and focus on basketball instead of being a jerk. Both players are nice and that what makes Spurs what it is today. So the question and discussion should be focused on who can we ADD (not replace) to solve our scoring drought problems in playoffs,just in case Big 3 got problem or injured...

jag
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Good post, everything you have in there makes sense. I still don't understand why people think Tony wants to go to LA, or why they think Eva might want to go to LA.

Eva's from Corpus Christi, they just built a huge place in SA, and who's to say she's gonna still be acting 4-5 years from now? There's obviously no telling if he'll retire as a Spur, but i think it's ridiculous to assume he or Eva would like to end up in LA.

Splitter supposed to be the "next Duncan" but him being a fag ruins it all

No.

edgar
08-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Do you have cliff notes?

:lmao

Blackjack
08-12-2008, 12:06 AM
Do you have cliff notes?

Anyone else see the irony in someone dubbed "I. Hustle" asking for cliff notes?

Lazy-ass. :lmao

Blackjack
08-12-2008, 12:57 AM
As for now, Tony should stay in SA because he learn the system all his life in NBA since drafted and I just feel Spurs offense will be different or sucks if he got replaced. I admit scoring drought happens, we definitely need to ADD ofensive player, not replace Big 3 which is the foundation of current successful Spurs roster.

Of course you keep the Big 3 together for now. Tony might need to be traded in the future depending on what direction the franchise is going in, but for now you tweak around the Big 3 while the championship window is still open.

Splitter supposed to be the "next Duncan" but him being a fag ruins it all although logically I dont blame him choosing money over SA. Basically we just need young fundamental big man who will become a monster and the fact that we have Duncan, as a mentor makies trasition easier. I got hopes on Mahinmi but Spurs will need better than that. I will scream and praying for Bosh but that is a hard case to pull coinsidering money and himn being a franchise in Raptors.

Splitter will never be Duncan and most likely never be an all-star. He's a good, young, quality, rotation big, but he'll never be a "monster."

Mahinmi has a higher ceiling (all-star caliber) than Splitter but there's a good chance he never reaches it. I'm cautiously optimistic (he has all the tools) but not sold he'll be anything more than a second or third big off the bench.

If the Spurs do land a marquee free-agent it will most likely be Bosh. I wouldn't say the probability is all that high but the Spurs have a shot. Bosh takes alot of pride in being the "franchise" so Tim would have to do one hell of a sales job convincing him that he'd be wiiling to move aside as Dave did for him. He's a Texas kid who grew up idolizing Tim and Dave so there is some reason for optimism.

Addressing Manu vs Tony, I think this need to stop now. We are one team with one goal which is the characteristic of Spurs. Manu is definitely a world class unselfish player...he give his starting role if that helps team got W. Tony also "handle the star ego nicely on the court" and focus on basketball instead of being a jerk. Both players are nice and that what makes Spurs what it is today. So the question and discussion should be focused on who can we ADD (not replace) to solve our scoring drought problems in playoffs,just in case Big 3 got problem or injured... :tu

Leetonidas
08-12-2008, 01:02 AM
I honestly believe that Tony can be an MVP type player. Seriously, if Parker's jumpshot, which has shown improvement, even from the 3 point line, can start falling on a consistent basis, there really is no way to guard the kid. I also think Tony wants to be THE guy on the Spurs. That's just my opinion though.

Blackjack
08-12-2008, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=__JaG__;2709681]Good post, everything you have in there makes sense. I still don't understand why people think Tony wants to go to LA, or why they think Eva might want to go to LA.

Eva's from Corpus Christi, they just built a huge place in SA, and who's to say she's gonna still be acting 4-5 years from now? There's obviously no telling if he'll retire as a Spur, but i think it's ridiculous to assume he or Eva would like to end up in LA.

Thanks. :toast

I don't think it's crazy to think Tony wouldn't mind going to L.A., but it's also not some forgone conclusion. Tony has always had alot of interests outside of basketball (Shit... his teammates dubbed him "Hollywood") and Eva only adds to that. I'd hate to see it happen but it wouldn't shock me.

Having said all that, Tony seems like a pretty loyal guy who genuinely loves the city. If the Spurs and Tony do ever part ways it will probably be a mutually beneficial move.(At least you'd hope so) Something like sending Tony to a place where he can contend immediately and the Spurs receiving a piece/pieces to build around for the future.

Blackjack
08-12-2008, 01:34 AM
I honestly believe that Tony can be an MVP type player. Seriously, if Parker's jumpshot, which has shown improvement, even from the 3 point line, can start falling on a consistent basis, there really is no way to guard the kid. I also think Tony wants to be THE guy on the Spurs. That's just my opinion though.

I respect your opinion even if I don't neccessarily agree, but you could be right.

My questions are-

Do you really think he'd be that much better than A.I.?

and

How successful can you be building around a 6' scoring PG? (Assuming the Spurs can't land another marquee free-agent)

wisnub
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM

I feel the same way too...TP is improving particularly his shooting skills. Having Chip as a shooting coach is a plus, if only he can work in his shooting this offseason adn I think he didnt play in Olympics that will give him time to improve. If he can consistently shooting 3 and middle range J he will be an MVP player. If he can increase his assist statistic , then he will be the best point guard in NBA provided that he play good D.

wisnub
08-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I also calling all Spurs fans and people who got inside contacts, to forced FO to send all of our rookies (Hill,Mahinmi,Tolliver) to be assigned special sessions with Coach Chip during this summer to improve shooting..I think somehow team and player can reach agreement where it is absolutely necessary to treat offseason as time to imrpove shooting skills. I think that has been the problem for us in Playoffs; once our Big 3 got tired or slowed by injuries..bench got no game at all. Just in case its already happening,just to remind Chip to tell guys to add 500 more shots per day L.O.L

djohn14
08-12-2008, 04:28 PM
And thats why Tim Duncan is the face of this franchise!