PDA

View Full Version : Would Argentina win gold with Parker at PG?

bugmenot
08-11-2008, 01:13 PM
I'm not even a Spurs fan but I think Argentina would win gold with Parker at PG. I watched Argentina play and their PG looks like a waif. Whatever happened to Pepe and that other PG they had who could hit three pointers.

So yeah (back on topic) if you put Parker next to Ginobili, Noce, Scola and Oberto I think they'd win gold. Am I crazy LOL

urunobili
08-11-2008, 01:20 PM
with Tony AND Timmy they'd be a lock

romain.star
08-11-2008, 01:21 PM
woooaa !! that would be an awesome way to stop this Tony vs Manu war !!

nkdlunch
08-11-2008, 01:22 PM
crazy question. I think they would be exciting to watch but I don't think they would fare any better. This is the problem with Arg team today. They are playing like Dream Team. (a bunch of superstars with no team work)

Anyway, I would rather have Pepe or Montechia. They passed the ball. :hat

timvp
08-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm not sure about gold because USA looks pretty damn good but I think they'd far and away have the best shot at silver. I know most Argentina fans don't have much love for TP but he's about five thousand times better than both of the Argentine point guards combined. Plus Argentina would be surprised by his passing once he's not playing in a low post oriented motion offense.

Now that I think about it, they'd actually have a decent shot against the US. The US doesn't have much in the way of perimeter defenders or interior shotblockers ... which are the teams that TP and Manu usually eat up.

But yeah I'm waiting for the "Prigioni > Parker" take or the "I'd rather lose without him than win with him" take.

Hemotivo
08-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Arg needs Tony, a really really big guy and a 3pt shooter

hater
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Argentina is playing like a bunch of disfunctional superstars (see Dream Team of previous olympics)

that plus having trash for PG, no bench whatsoever and mediocre coach.

Not one man would fix Argentina. Not even Kobe or Lebron.

If Argentina goes far it will be based on pure heart.

JamStone
08-11-2008, 01:54 PM
No.

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
They would be MUCH improved.

urunobili
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
TP is a better PG than any Argentine EVER... not even Pepe Sanchez nor Montecchia brush his shoes

jag
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
He's obviously a better option but there's no telling how they would play together. I'm the biggest TP homer there is, but i think we forget how good the US can be when they are determined and unselfish (like they've been playing).

ARG would pretty much be a lock for the silver but the US is on a different level this time around.

nkdlunch
08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
TP is a better PG than any Argentine EVER... not even Pepe Sanchez nor Montecchia brush his shoes

no, really???
I don't think anyone is crazy enough to disagree.

But I think Argentina needs to play their game. And Pepe/Montechia would be the best fit as PG to do this.

leo_d
08-11-2008, 03:10 PM
Argentina NT needs a big power foward, a scoring PG, an excepcional perimeter defender, and a defense/team-first minded coach.

that team could really have a chance against USA.

:hat

DPG21920
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
no, really???
I don't think anyone is crazy enough to disagree.

But I think Argentina needs to play their game. And Pepe/Montechia would be the best fit as PG to do this.

Every team that plays poorly and selfishly ends up playing bad. Argentina is no different. Adding Parker would not make them play more selfishly or bad. He is not an inherently selfish player

ShoogarBear
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
LMAO @ the thought of Parker playing with a whole team of guys he won't pass the ball to.

nkdlunch
08-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Adding Parker would not make them play more selfishly or bad. He is not an inherently selfish player

I agree. But they need to go back to playing 2004 style ball badly.

Do you remember the way they moved the ball in 2004? it was beautiful. Missing their old PGs is a big cause of this.

This is why I say, getting a superstar PG like Parker/CP3/Deron would be great, but would not fix their team chemistry problem.

1Parker1
08-11-2008, 03:43 PM
LMAO @ the thought of Parker playing with a whole team of guys he won't pass the ball to.

:lol So basically he'd be like Kobe on the Lakers?

timvp
08-11-2008, 03:47 PM
This is why I say, getting a superstar PG like Parker/CP3/Deron would be great, but would not fix their team chemistry problem.Argentina doesn't have chemistry problems. They didn't go from the world's best chemistry to bad chemistry overnight.

The problem is their point guards suck and that makes the rest of the players have to create shots on their own. Ginobili, Delfino or whoever else can bring the ball up the court but since they aren't point guards their ballhandling isn't great, which causes the offense to lose rhythm and ultimately causes the offense to break down.

The addition of a competent point guard is all Argentina needs to fix whatever "chemistry" problems there may be.

Hemotivo
08-11-2008, 03:54 PM
exactly

but i think ARG gonna survive the first round

nkdlunch
08-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Argentina doesn't have chemistry problems. They didn't go from the world's best chemistry to bad chemistry overnight.

:lol so you are disagreeing with manu, who himself alluded to this in his recent articles?

he himself said that often once they start losing they get pissed off at each other and blame each other and stop communicating. That is "chemistry" problem.

The addition of a competent point guard is all Argentina needs to fix whatever "chemistry" problems there may be.

that would help. but will not help them beat teams like Spain, USA.

You also forget they have no bench and lack a defensive minded coach. So that is definitely not "all Argentina needs"

Hemotivo
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Magnano was a hard-liner type of coach
Sconochini, Sanchez
they were leaders

now it's only Ginobili and a little of Nocioni, Scola and Oberto

Pero
08-11-2008, 04:02 PM
No because Tony wouldn't pass the ball to Manu enough.

timvp
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM
:lol so you are disagreeing with manu, who himself alluded to this in his recent articles?

he himself said that often once they start losing they get pissed off at each other and blame each other and stop communicating. That is "chemistry" problem.Like I said, it starts with not having a point guard to setup the offense. The other players have to freelance and that is the opposite of how they played in 2004. Freelancing doesn't sit well with the other players and then the arguing begins. But it can all be traced back to not having a point guard.

It's not like Manu, Nocioni, Oberto or Scola got selfish overnight. Their halfcourt offense is still very good ... the problem is getting the ball up the court quick enough and then into the right spots to initiate the offense.

that would help. but will not help them beat teams like Spain, USA.

You also forget they have no bench and lack a defensive minded coach. So that is definitely not "all Argentina needs"Even if a time machine brought 2004 Team Argentina to these Olympics, it'd be doubtful they'd win the gold. So pointing to the fact that USA and perhaps Spain are better doesn't prove that something is necessarily wrong.

Argentina needed to be a lot better than 2004 to win the gold. It doesn't look like that will happen. And really, it's not because Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto or Scola declined in their play, it's just that they are without a point guard. In fact, I'd say those four and Delfino are all better players than they were in 2004.

Brutalis
08-11-2008, 04:32 PM
Sure they'd be better but it wouldn't help them beat this USA squad.

nkdlunch
08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Argentina needed to be a lot better than 2004 to win the gold. It doesn't look like that will happen. And really, it's not because Ginobili, Nocioni, Oberto or Scola declined in their play, it's just that they are without a point guard. In fact, I'd say those four and Delfino are all better players than they were in 2004.

Manu on a bum ankle is definitely not better than 04. I also see a decline in Nocioni's play, but maybe it's just one bad game. Delfino didn't play much in 2004 so we can't compare.

I think this team is way more inferior than that 2004 team. Imagine if in the Spurs, we replace Pop with Flip Saunders, Parker with Beno Udrih and erase the bench. That is what happened to Argentina. So I honestly cannot see how you would say this team is as good as 2004.

ivanfromwestwood
08-11-2008, 05:01 PM
i see changes in their linup next game. manu will most likely take over the point. he was the point down the stretch when they started coming back. also delfino will start.

angelbelow
08-12-2008, 01:18 AM
well tony woul help, but i dunno if they would be guaranteed the gold.

DespЏrado
08-12-2008, 01:25 AM
Let's get real Tony would be a Godsend to that team and while it wouldn't guarantee them a gold it would make them a lock for silver.

And like a poster said earlier Tony would pick apart the lack of interior defense on the American team.

Argentina is most desperately missing a point guard and Tony would fill that need in a way that few others could.

Besides like it or not Tony has great chemistry with Oberto and Manu, and just having them together would make that team just as comfortable together as any team in the olympics.

spurscenter
08-12-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm not even a Spurs fan but I think Argentina would win gold with Parker at PG. I watched Argentina play and their PG looks like a waif. Whatever happened to Pepe and that other PG they had who could hit three pointers.

So yeah (back on topic) if you put Parker next to Ginobili, Noce, Scola and Oberto I think they'd win gold. Am I crazy LOL

I think ANGOLA would win if they had (insert player here)

mrspurs
08-12-2008, 07:35 AM
He's obviously a better option but there's no telling how they would play together. I'm the biggest TP homer there is, but i think we forget how good the US can be when they are determined and unselfish (like they've been playing).

ARG would pretty much be a lock for the silver but the US is on a different level this time around.

dude your making sense......:p: