PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pit Bull mauling

lebomb
08-12-2008, 07:25 AM
BROWNSVILLE — A 3-year-old Edinburg girl underwent surgery Monday after being mauled Friday night by the family pit bull, Hidalgo County sheriff's officials said.

Allison Abrego was flown to a San Antonio hospital after family members called deputies to the scene, said Capt. John Montemayor, who is in charge of criminal investigations.

“I don't now the extent of the injuries,” he said. “All we know is that the child was mauled by the family pet.”

He said the dog was under quarantine for rabies testing and would likely be destroyed after the investigation.

He said the department was investigating whether the family would face criminal charges.

:depressed

AlamoSpursFan
08-12-2008, 08:45 AM
"Family pit bull" you say?

Guess they raised him wrong...

:rolleyes

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 08:48 AM
I guess I'm next because my son rolls around with our family pit all the time. Only we don't leave the pit chained up for regular beatings and there really isn't a question of wether or not our dog has rabies but you know its still a pit.

Was the pet around the child regularly? Was the dog typically locked up but released that day to roam the yard? Were there other dog present that posed a risk.

Was it really truely a pit or some mutt that looked like a pit?

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 08:53 AM
Furthermore its even more suspicious about the family potentially facing criminal charges. Had this been the family lab I doubt we'd be hearing this same song. Usually when someone faces criminal charges its because the dog isn't or hasn't been integrated with people...or other dogs or worse the dog was breed for gambling and fighting ORRRR the dog was a family members dog and shouldn't have been near the small child to begin with. It didn't say the parents would face criminal charges it said "family". Might not have even been that kids dog.

AlamoSpursFan
08-12-2008, 08:55 AM
You can rationalize it any way you want.

The only pertinent facts here are: a defenseless 3 year old child was used as a chew toy by a (stop me if you've heard this one before) pit bull.

I. Hustle
08-12-2008, 09:02 AM
I heard it from a friend that is pretty well connected that the pit has a lawyer and is prepared to accuse the father of mauling the child. There is no history of rabies in his past although because of former crack cocaine possessions it doesn’t look to good for him. The defendant (the canine) acknowledged his past but has stated that he has completed a 90 day treatment program and even stayed an extra 30 days on his own free will to council a chow mix that was in for heroin addiction. Although he has confessed to homosexual acts in order to obtain his drugs he said that he has never had to resort to violence. HE was seen wearing body armor to his hearing because of all the pit bull haters that were protesting outside the courthouse. http://rickoshea.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pitbull.jpg
That’s all I have for now. If my friend gives up more info I will share.

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 09:21 AM
You can rationalize it any way you want.

The only pertinent facts here are: a defenseless 3 year old child was used as a chew toy by a (stop me if you've heard this one before) pit bull.I'm not rationalizing it I'm trying to take an objective approach because there is nearly no info whatsoever that explains what happened. If the dog had never been around children and uncle dipshit decided to show off his badass pit to family members I don't think the attack has much credence because lots of dogs would potentially respond that way.

I posted this not too long ago.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/jun/06/pit-bull-attacks-young-boy/

A 9-year-old boy was attacked by a pit bull about 7 p.m. Thursday in the 2200 block of Talisman Street, police said.

The gray pit bull, previously tied in front of a residence, broke free and clamped onto the boy’s left forearm, breaking both bones in two places, according to a police brief released Friday.

The owner of the dog was not at home at the time of the attack, and the dog was impounded by the city’s animal control officers.

It was a Ridgeback not a pit. And (shockingly) it was brown not grey. So I'm not even sold on it being a pit. This kind of shit happens all the time. You fucking people believe everything you read its pathetic.

TheSanityAnnex
08-12-2008, 09:22 AM
He said the dog was under quarantine for rabies testing and would likely be destroyed after the investigation.

It is common knowledge that all Pit Bulls have rabies.

lebomb
08-12-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm not rationalizing it I'm trying to take an objective approach because there is nearly no info whatsoever that explains what happened. If the dog had never been around children and uncle dipshit decided to show off his badass pit to family members I don't think the attack has much credence because lots of dogs would potentially respond that way.

I posted this not too long ago.

http://www.caller.com/news/2008/jun/06/pit-bull-attacks-young-boy/

It was a Ridgeback not a pit. And (shockingly) it was brown not grey. So I'm not even sold on it being a pit. This kind of shit happens all the time. You fucking people believe everything you read its pathetic.

I would say 75% of the dogs said to have been pitbulls were at least......least.......... some type of Pit mix. Im sure some were not pits. So calm your ass down.

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 10:40 AM
I would say 75% of the dogs said to have been pitbulls were at least......least.......... some type of Pit mix. Im sure some were not pits. So calm your ass down.
If that were in fact true than the numbers of related maulings would fall below the top 30 most reported dog attacks. So taking your logic into account pitbulls are pretty much a non threat.

I put 95% of the blame on media sensationalizm. I honestly feel that the dog gets a bad rep because of it. I put 5% on the assholes who can't raise a pet properly.

You can talk to anyone who knows dogs and they'll tell you a pit is a fine family pet.

Its like saying chickens are a danger to children based on cockfighting. Just doesn't add up.

AlamoSpursFan
08-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Its like saying chickens are a danger to children based on cockfighting. Just doesn't add up.

The next kid who gets pecked to death by a fighting cock will be the first.

Try another analogy.

lebomb
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
I put 5% on the assholes who can't raise a pet properly.

You can talk to anyone who knows dogs and they'll tell you a pit is a fine family pet.

I have a cousin that raised two AKC pitbulls from puppies (house dogs)........both were really good family pets.......now one is starting to act super aggressive......for no reason claims my cousin. He is about to get rid of this particular dog.

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
I have a cousin that raised two AKC pitbulls from puppies (house dogs)........both were really good family pets.......now one is starting to act super aggressive......for no reason claims my cousin. He is about to get rid of this particular dog.Has he taken the dog to the vet? Perhaps the dog is sick. They're not humans so when a dog is injured or sick its natural reaction would be to turn aggressive.

This is actually a common reaction to fading or loss of eyesight. Its entirely possible the dog is going blind and feels the need to ramp up in defense. I'm not saying thats the reason but a vet might be able to shed some light on it. Give it a fair shake before just dumping the dog. If there's nothing wrong with the dog then yeah hand her/him over to someone who can handle it.

BacktoBasics
08-12-2008, 11:21 AM
The next kid who gets pecked to death by a fighting cock will be the first.

Try another analogy.touche

Spuradicator
08-12-2008, 11:58 AM
If that were in fact true than the numbers of related maulings would fall below the top 30 most reported dog attacks. So taking your logic into account pitbulls are pretty much a non threat.

I put 95% of the blame on media sensationalizm. I honestly feel that the dog gets a bad rep because of it. I put 5% on the assholes who can't raise a pet properly.

I have to agree. Ive been around a few Pits in my life that friends/family of mine have owned or currently own. They are just fine. Play well with the kids.

I put most of the blame on the owners of the dog.

Poor little girl

lebomb
08-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Has he taken the dog to the vet? Perhaps the dog is sick. They're not humans so when a dog is injured or sick its natural reaction would be to turn aggressive.

This is actually a common reaction to fading or loss of eyesight. Its entirely possible the dog is going blind and feels the need to ramp up in defense. I'm not saying thats the reason but a vet might be able to shed some light on it. Give it a fair shake before just dumping the dog. If there's nothing wrong with the dog then yeah hand her/him over to someone who can handle it.

Believe me.......he is into dogs, Im sure he has inquired about the dogs behavior. Basically he is as stunned as anyone that this Pits personality has started to change for the worst.

TheSanityAnnex
08-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Why do you keep calling these "weekly" pit bull maulings and only post them every other month. You need to stay on top of your misidentified attacks.

thispego
08-12-2008, 02:35 PM
I heard it from a friend that is pretty well connected that the pit has a lawyer and is prepared to accuse the father of mauling the child. There is no history of rabies in his past although because of former crack cocaine possessions it doesn’t look to good for him. The defendant (the canine) acknowledged his past but has stated that he has completed a 90 day treatment program and even stayed an extra 30 days on his own free will to council a chow mix that was in for heroin addiction. Although he has confessed to homosexual acts in order to obtain his drugs he said that he has never had to resort to violence. HE was seen wearing body armor to his hearing because of all the pit bull haters that were protesting outside the courthouse. http://rickoshea.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/pitbull.jpg
That’s all I have for now. If my friend gives up more info I will share.

your information is wrong brah and your insider is blogus

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82906

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82962

Oh, Gee!!
08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Was the pet around the child regularly? Was the dog typically locked up but released that day to roam the yard? Were there other dog present that posed a risk.

none of that matters. a pit can kill a small child just by playing rough or snapping at the child because it got upset for 1 brief second. you should get rid of your dog. you can never 100% trust any dog (esp. a pit) regardless of how you raised it.

TheSanityAnnex
08-12-2008, 02:38 PM
kill all dogs!

they have teeth!
they have claws!
they shed and can cause allergic reactions which could result in death!

Brutalis
08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
...pathetic. Someone always tries to defend the dog.

SpursWoman
08-12-2008, 03:12 PM
A big dog chased and bit my daughter when she was out jogging a couple of weeks ago and it caused all kinds of drama. The bite wasn't bad, but it was a big dog and it scared the crap out of her, so I wasn't really happy about it.

But it was some kind of malamute-ish kind of dog. It's now listed as a dangerous dog, the owner has to carry insurance on it and it's on doggie probation for 9 months. :spin

Leetonidas
08-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Does anyone else find it humorous that they used the word "destroy?" :lol

TheSanityAnnex
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
But it was some kind of malamute-ish kind of dog. It was obviously a malamute/pitbull mix.

gatoloco
08-12-2008, 03:27 PM
i can only pray that all pit bull defenders have their kids mauled one day.

lefty
08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Fuck pitbulls

Oh, Gee!!
08-12-2008, 04:15 PM
kill all dogs!

they have teeth!
they have claws!
they shed and can cause allergic reactions which could result in death!

some dogs (namely pits) are more dangerous than others. some dogs (namely pits) shouldn't be around children. you can't change those facts with your lame humor.

thispego
08-12-2008, 04:33 PM
im gonna have to side with the pits on this one

SKINNYPIMP210
08-12-2008, 11:18 PM
You fucking people believe everything you read its pathetic.

Thank you! At least educate yourselves on the breed before running your fucking mouth. How many in this forum have actually been mauled by a Pit? How many have actually played with one or had one as a pet? There was a post earlier about how a Pit Bull can kill a small child, and yes that is true because they are very strong dogs. But they were not breed for that. Hell a German Shepard could too. Anyways, I do feel sorry for the family of the little girl and of coarse the little girl herself. But it is not fair to just say that all Pits are just horrible dogs. It mostly falls on the owners shoulders as far as the responsibility. And again there are so many unanswered questions as far as that story goes, who's to say it was even a APBT?

sabar
08-13-2008, 05:33 AM
Haha @ all the sensationalism over dog bites and shark attacks. The media is so obsessed with it.

This is all you need to know. How many pitbulls are there? About 8 Million. How many attacks a year? Lets say 2000. Wow. Amazing. 0.00025% of pit bulls attack people.

Stop the presses.

Don't even make me go into shark attacks. Let's say people worldwide swim in the ocean 2 billion times in one year. There are about 80 shark attacks a year. 0.00000004% of swimming incidents end in a shark attack.

People should be more concerned with things that might actually happen to you, like heart disease(30%). Worried about your child being mauled? Maybe you should be more worried about faulty seatbelts and drowning, by far the leading cause of death in children.

Of course you wont see the media report on the obscene amount of children that get run over by cars and drown in pools with no lifeguard on duty, but a dog attack is front page news.

25 people die each year from dog attacks while 50,000 drown, yet the public would sooner euthanize every dog than they would build a safety fence around the community pool.

Sometimes you need to step away from the TV screen, take a look around and get back to reality.

thispego
08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
:tu

I. Hustle
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
A pit bull shot JFK. That's reason enough to hate them

RandomGuy
10-16-2014, 06:43 AM
SACRAMENTO Calif. (Reuters) - A California man has died and his mother is in critical condition after they were mauled by pit bulls, authorities said on Wednesday.

Juan Fernandez, 59, of Modesto died after he was attacked by pit bulls in the back yard of a house in Modesto on Tuesday, the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Department said. His mother, Maria Fernandez, 77, was also attacked by the dogs and was in critical condition in a local hospital, the sheriff's department said in a news release.

When deputies arrived, they saw three pit bulls mauling Juan Fernandez, and a fourth circling him, the department said.

Deputies shot and killed two of the dogs and the other two ran away at the sound of gunfire, the release said. Deputies temporarily contained them and then searched the home and found Maria Fernandez inside, also wounded from multiple traumatic dog bites.

Deputies attempted to capture the remaining two dogs after the two people were removed from the premises, but they charged the deputies, who then shot and killed both animals.

"Both were vicious, aggressive and charged the deputies," the release said.

Authorities said the owner of the dogs was cooperating with law enforcement, but they did not say who that person was.

(Reporting by Sharon Bernstein; Editing by Sandra Maler and Peter Cooney)

http://news.yahoo.com/man-dies-mother-critical-condition-mauling-pit-bulls-005432066.html

-------------------------------------------