PDA

View Full Version : North East IDS tuition rates

fatsack
08-12-2008, 09:26 AM
I just had to fill out a legal document for one of my stepkids to attend a local school. At the bottom of the form, it advises that the tuition rate for the current year is 28.61 per school day for regular education and 112.48 for special education.

So it takes about 4 times more money to educate special education students.. which makes me wonder:

is it due to the increased number of employees it takes to manage these special ed classrooms?

do special ed teachers make more money than regular education teachers? (i'm all for that, btw.. teachers aren't paid enough as it is)

or is it just a scam?

MannyIsGod
08-12-2008, 09:49 AM
They have a lower student to teacher ration and that alone would drive up the cost per student.

mrsmaalox
08-12-2008, 11:47 PM
But "Special Ed" numbers include lots of kids who are part of the mainstream. My 10 yr old for instance has a speech impediment and the only special education he recieves is speech therapy for 30 mins twice a week. But for that he gets re-evaluated twice per school year as required by the state to recieve their funding and for all purposes is considered Special Ed. Oh and we are in the NEISD also.

Sunshine
08-13-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure special ed teachers make more because a girlfriend of mine is a teacher in the Judson ISD and she has special ed kids in her "regular" kindergarten class. But maybe the teachers who do more one on one special ed get paid more.

BacktoBasics
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
It definitely boils down to the teacher to student ratio. They just don't take into account how much easier it is to teach the mentally challenged how to count that it is to teach a jock and prissy stuck up snob about the revolutionary war.

mrsmaalox
08-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure special ed teachers make more because a girlfriend of mine is a teacher in the Judson ISD and she has special ed kids in her "regular" kindergarten class. But maybe the teachers who do more one on one special ed get paid more.

Coincidence, my best friend is a Special Ed teacher in Judson ISD! I've been to her job and believe me, it is eye opening! On a good day she only has to feed, wash, change and teach her students. On a bad day, she has to feed, wash, change, medicate, recover from seizures, physically take down violent outbursts, deal with CPS, cut thru red tape, and teach her students. So yes the student-teacher ratio is a bit smaller: she only has SEVEN in her class!! But she is rewarded handsomely for her dedication, $10/day more than a mainstream teacher. Luckily for the students this is her calling and the money does not effect her dedication to them!