PDA

View Full Version : Is Jannero Pargo Playin' the San Antonio Spurs?

xtremesteven33
08-12-2008, 04:59 PM
A guy who the Spurs drafted and then sent to the Phoenix Suns on draft night may have a lot to do with why free agent Jannero Pargo has not yet signed with San Antonio.

The Spurs acquired the draft rights to forward Malik Hairston, Golden State's 2009 second-round pick, and cash from Suns in exchange for the draft rights to guard Goran Dragic.

Dragic, a point guard from Europe, was chosen three picks before Hairston. In mid-July, two sources said Dragic had negotiated a buyout for this summer, and it was up to the Suns to find a way to give him a multiyear contract, starting at almost $2 million. That would help Dragic cover the cost of buying out his European deal beyond the $500,000 the Suns can contribute directly.

Since then, while there have been several comments from Dragic saying that he may remain in Europe this season, the Suns still remain confident of their chances to bring their second-round draft pick to Phoenix this year—but they may not know for certain until the end of the week.

Now, according to two Phoenix area newspapers, the East Valley Tribune and the Arizona Republic, if Dragic stays in Europe, Phoenix might be making a play for free agent Jannero Pargo—the same player the Spurs have been after since finding out that he wouldn't be returning to the Hornets.

Pargo is reportedly mulling a $2 million-a-year offer from San Antonio. But that offer has been on the table for more than a week, and the situation in Phoenix might be one reason why he hasn't closed the deal.

Pargo's agent, Mark Bartelstein, refused to disclose whether the Suns are in the running, but Pargo is known to be a favorite of Phoenix general manager Steve Kerr.

The Suns might be convinced to spend the $2 million-plus it was going to spend on Dragic this season on Pargo to give the Suns a solid backup to Steve Nash at the point.

If Dragic stays in Europe and Pargo proves too expensive, former Spur and University of Arizona star Damon Stoudamire is also available and under consideration.

Spurs fans in San Antonio are not happy with the news, since Pargo's wavering may be affecting other roster moves which have been put on hold.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/46613-is-jannero-pargo-playin-the-san-antonio-spurs

ShoogarBear
08-12-2008, 05:10 PM
Nice. The Spurs do favors for other teams, and then they jerk the Spurs around.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2008, 05:13 PM
I certainly hope he is just playing us.
Spurs fans in San Antonio are not happy with the news, since Pargo's wavering may be affecting other roster moves which have been put on hold.Which ones?

And according to proexposure, Dragic signed with Tau.

xtremesteven33
08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
If we can sign Pargo it would be great for this team. if not i officially kick into "worry mode" for this teams chances to get back to the championship.

i dont see anymore solid FA's out there who can be reasonably signed for. or even players to trade for.

lefty
08-12-2008, 05:20 PM
Sure, Pargo is an upgrade over JV, he can shoot the 3, but.....

The guy had one big game in his career (game 7 vs Spurs) and everybody wants him now:bang

xtremesteven33
08-12-2008, 05:23 PM
Sure, Pargo is an upgrade over JV, he can shoot the 3, but.....

The guy had one big game in his career (game 7 vs Spurs) and everybody wants him now:bang

actually no.he was thier second best scorer in the dallas series prior to the spurs series. if his performances are any indication of his progress as a PG, we would definitely benefit having that offensive spark off our offensive lacking bench.

-hes young, but experienced
-he can shoot well
-he can defend above average
-hes aggresive
-no known bad reputation

:flag:

ducks
08-12-2008, 05:37 PM
suns want damon over pargo now anyhow
steve kerr is an idiot

xtremesteven33
08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
steve kerr is an idiot

thanx for the jinx :rolleyes

DROB4EVER
08-12-2008, 05:50 PM
No doubt he is using us to try to get a better deal from somewhere but it may backfire on him. If Im correct the suns are already over the tax threshold for next season so if they give him a deal for lets say slightly more than we can offer....2.4 it will cost them 4.8.

I dont know what he is waiting for, piss or get off the pot.

We need to be looking at other options to upgrade the SF spot and add a 7ftr to the roster. Git rid of bonner to clear roster spot.

xtremesteven33
08-12-2008, 05:54 PM
I just feel very confident in our team with an addition of jannero pargo.

yes i would also push for a trade package including vaughn and bonner but i dont see that happening. maybe for a felton spencer haha

T Park
08-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Yawn...

manufor3
08-12-2008, 07:31 PM
I certainly hope he is just playing us.Which ones?

And according to proexposure, Dragic signed with Tau.

i hope some kind of move for our SF position

jjktkk
08-12-2008, 07:47 PM
steve kerr is an idiot

Kerr just brought stoudamire in for a workout, in case they can't get pargo or dragic signed.

benefactor
08-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Bleacher Report is a joke...they referenced SR as the place to get real fans opinions.

:rolleyes

The Truth #6
08-12-2008, 08:39 PM
The Suns are probably playing Damon, while Pargo is playing us. If the Suns actually do sign Damon then they might be the only team to have a worst offseason then us.

Texas_Ranger
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
If we don't sign Pargo we really suck at getting better.

SenorSpur
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
The Suns are probably playing Damon, while Pargo is playing us. If the Suns actually do sign Damon then they might be the only team to have a worst offseason then us.

:lol

But true.

ChumpDumper
08-12-2008, 09:22 PM
i hope some kind of move for our SF positionWe already moved Gist to Italy.

Brutalis
08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
I hope so.

SenorSpur
08-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I can envision a scenario where the Suns sign Pargo; the Spurs release Hairston after training camp; the Suns pick him up; then they end up with both Dragic and Hairston on next their roster for next season.

It would be the ultimate insult and a fitting end to a dismal summer for Spurs fans.

Sean Cagney
08-12-2008, 09:56 PM
I can envision a scenario where the Suns sign Pargo; the Spurs release Hairston after training camp; the Suns pick him up; then they end up with both Dragic and Hairston on next their roster for next season.

It would be the ultimate insult and a fitting end to a dismal summer for Spurs fans.

Please for the LOVE of God don't say that :bang:bang

timtonymanu
08-12-2008, 09:58 PM

that better not happen. :nope

HarlemHeat37
08-13-2008, 12:50 AM
why would that happen? the Suns are a perennial disappointment..an embarrassing, pathetic franchise..they can't offer more money than us, so there really isn't a reason to play there over here..the Spurs are always a contender, while the Suns are always a pretender..going there is a guarantee of a losing year and disappointment for their fans..

they have a different system coming up with Porter, so the run and gun system is no longer there, which was part of the reason some players like Pargo would sign..it's an attractive system..

DROB4EVER
08-13-2008, 01:51 AM
He has no options. Sign with spurs or go over seas. PHX wont pay him and they already have Barbosa a better but similar player to Pargo.

Denver is giving guys away to not pay the over the cap tax so they are unlikely to even offer what we did cause it will cost them twice as much.

Miami cant pay him more than we can but he may get a starting job there. So thats the only real threat. To me he just doesnt want to be a spur. No one is gonna give him the 4 mil he thinks hes worth.

I give him till Fri and move on and look to make small trade or add one of these FA Centers still out. I dont understand why Pop dosent think we need another true big man. I can stand another season with Oberto as a starter. Thomas is better but old and slow.

D Hairison is 25 has a good skill set and can block shots. His agent says he will play for min and he wants a short term deal. What would we have to lose?

Spurtacus
08-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Spurs offseason = soap opera.

I fucking hate soap operas.

T Park
08-13-2008, 02:38 AM

I've had a fine summer thanks.

Keep your wrist cutting to yourself.

SenorSpur
08-13-2008, 03:17 AM
I've had a fine summer thanks.

Keep your wrist cutting to yourself.

Nobody asked you about your summer.

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 08:13 AM
He has no options. Sign with spurs or go over seas. PHX wont pay him and they already have Barbosa a better but similar player to Pargo.

Denver is giving guys away to not pay the over the cap tax so they are unlikely to even offer what we did cause it will cost them twice as much.

Miami cant pay him more than we can but he may get a starting job there. So thats the only real threat. To me he just doesnt want to be a spur. No one is gonna give him the 4 mil he thinks hes worth.

I give him till Fri and move on and look to make small trade or add one of these FA Centers still out. I dont understand why Pop dosent think we need another true big man. I can stand another season with Oberto as a starter. Thomas is better but old and slow.

D Hairison is 25 has a good skill set and can block shots. His agent says he will play for min and he wants a short term deal. What would we have to lose?

this post sounded more realistic then the others.....if it was anyother player other then pargo id say(ja he doesnt want to come here, cos we play defense and our coach yells alot) but pargo is used to that coming from NO, ......the biggest reason why imo alot of good role players pass the big SA is becos they dont want to play defense and be yelled at in front of thousands by pop. and i too cant stand fab as a starter, i seen arg. vs. aus. and fab looked just like he was in a spurs uniform(running the ball well, looking smooth, then boom he gets the ball via great pass from manu underneath and chokes, passes it back out for another, lets try this play again) :lmao

Obstructed_View
08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
From the first statement his agent made I was fairly certain that Pargo's negotiations with the Spurs were bogus and that he was just looking to increase his value. If his other options don't materialize the Spurs aren't a bad fallback position; he's certainly an upgrade over Hill and JV and would get lots of PT at both guard spots. I'm not sure, however, that he's ever seriously entertained the idea of going to the Spurs. The suggestion that you might take less money to play for the Spurs is the negotiating ploy du jour, and every unimaginative agent is going to try it if he can.

zepn
08-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Bleacher Report is a joke...they referenced SR as the place to get real fans opinions.

:rolleyes

Lazy journalism. When you google San Antonio Spurs, SR is 5th from the top on the first page. ST isn't even in the first 5 pages (maybe more, I didn't check past that.) Probably because ST lacks the number of ads/links which google's algorithms use rank websites.

PTR, Spurs Dynasty, Club Spurs, Spurs Fan Shop, Spurs Newtier, Spurs Scout, etc. were all in the top five pages.

ducks
08-13-2008, 09:52 AM
when you google spurs forum it is number one even above sr

zepn
08-13-2008, 10:01 AM
when you google spurs forum it is number one even above sr

As I said, lazy journalism.