D. Harrison A. Brown
A. Mourning P. Davis
M. Doleac
T. Ratliff
Magloire
Barron
Voskhul
L. Wright

I put them in Iimho) order of market value and, at the some time, possible contribution to our team.

Will we stick with what we already have or takem a chance to one of these low price/small contract (with the only exception, i think, of Landry) players ?

I personally think that we could afford a good shot blocker also for limited amount of time (see Mutombo - Mourning - Ratliff) or a young big man with still some possibility to shine (Harrison, P. Davis)....

Bruno
08-13-2008, 05:47 AM
Spurs biggest need is quickness and you want that Spurs signs Mutombo, Mourning or Ratliff ?

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 07:58 AM
if you ask me, it looks like a list of has beens and never will beees......thou i dont agree that our biggest need is quickness, we already have the players listed above,(only with different last names)......if giving a choice id take brown and ratliff in a second over kurt thomas.......pop has this thing about players he wants, and he dont care how many seasons it takes for him to grab....pop has made(im guessing pop says yay or nay) more then enough bad moves when it comes to finding and signing bigs. this crush on kurt killed us (but im giving him a chance cos kurt was only here a short period,maybe a full season might help........doubt it thou).......anyone see brown or ratliff play as of late? not much of a difference between brown,kurt, and ratliff(except kurt is slower and shorter) thou brown and ratliffs minutes last season were very limited, every minute i seen them play(via nba league pass) they out played kurt imo.......if anything sign one of them for insurance incase everyones hero ian doesnt show up again...

tav1
08-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Is Elson still available?

Obstructed_View
08-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Spurs biggest need is quickness and you want that Spurs signs Mutombo, Mourning or Ratliff ?

Why do the Spurs need quickness at the center position? Just curious.

I'm pretty happy with the centers the Spurs have. You typically need someone that can stay out of Timmy's way on offense, can get rebounds and hit outside jumpers. I miss Rasho's defense, but apparently I'm the only one.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-13-2008, 08:33 AM

He signed with Milwaukee.

DANILO DRASKOVIC
08-13-2008, 08:35 AM
It's a movement

http://www.draftexpress.com/gallery/General/1175631810.jpg

tav1
08-13-2008, 08:37 AM
I'd add Benson and Javtokas to the aforementioned group.

tav1
08-13-2008, 08:38 AM
He signed with Milwaukee.

Thanks, I've been too busy to follow everything the last few weeks.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2008, 08:40 AM
Is Landry quick enough to guard 3s on the perimeter? If so, sign him. He's tough, a good rebounder, and garbage scorer. In 16mins a game he was good for 8/5 at 61% last year for the Rockettes.

Actually, screw it, just give the man a contract - he's Malik Mk II with better hands.

Bruno
08-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Why do the Spurs need quickness at the center position? Just curious.

I'm pretty happy with the centers the Spurs have.

I didn't say at the center position.
Duncan and Thomas are both fine centers. Spurs need a quick or at least not slow PF to play with them.

tav1
08-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Duncan and Thomas are both fine centers. Spurs need a quick or at least not slow PF to play with them.

Recommendations?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Recommendations?

Landry could play with TD or KT - he's reasonably mobile, and a good rebounder.

The more I think about him, the more I think he fits the Spurs.

tav1
08-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Landry could play with TD or KT - he's reasonably mobile, and a good rebounder.

The more I think about him, the more I think he fits the Spurs.

$$$$$$

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-13-2008, 09:08 AM
Mmmmm, probably. But if he's still out there he can't be expecting much.

Can we offer 4m for 2 yrs, or do they need a Bonner? :lol

(PS I have a feeling Bonner might emerge this year now that Horry is gone and the shooting big job is his... although Tolliver complicates things there - wtf is that about?)

Obstructed_View
08-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Other than the fact that Oberto and Thomas are the centers, I tend to agree. Oberto fits in great with Duncan.

But back to the quickness discussion, I'd like a 3 that can hustle and get blocks and putbacks that's quick enough to defend a couple of positions and spell Bruce while he learns. I guess I'd foolishly hoped Gist could be turned into that.

Bruno
08-13-2008, 09:39 AM
Recommendations?

That late in the offseason, nobody (Landry isn't a realistic option).

Mahinmi is the only hope to have a less static frontourt than last year.
If Spurs don't do another move and even if it sounds scary, Spurs' success next year will highly depend on Mahinmi's success.

tav1
08-13-2008, 09:46 AM

If Spurs don't do another move and even if it sounds scary, Spurs' success next year will highly depend on Mahinmi's success.

I thought you'd say that. And you're right.

And all trades scenarios are unlikely, especially given San Antonio's lack of assets.

wildbill2u
08-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Centers Power Forwards

D. Mutombo Landry
D. Harrison A. Brown
A. Mourning P. Davis
M. Doleac
T. Ratliff
Magloire
Barron
Voskhul
L. Wright

I put them in Iimho) order of market value and, at the some time, possible contribution to our team.

Here's a list from Yahoo Sports from Aug. 7 that has a few additions we might look at including some SF. It may be a little more useful because not many of them are on Social Security Retirement yet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/NBA-forwards-who-do-not-have-a-job;_ylt=Ai1rGTNRq3kB1E2RIcdpEGCkvLYF?urn=nba,9910 3

With Miami signing Diawara, Dorell Wright looks like he may be on the bubble for trade although Heat gave him an offer sheet.

Will we stick with what we already have or takem a chance to one of these low price/small contract (with the only exception, i think, of Landry) players ?

I personally think that we could afford a good shot blocker also for limited amount of time (see Mutombo - Mourning - Ratliff) or a young big man with still some possibility to shine (Harrison, P. Davis)....[/quote]

wildbill2u
08-13-2008, 09:50 AM
:nope
Mutombo!! :nope

He's old, he's international, he's a good guy, he's perfect for us!

:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope:nope :nope:nope Are you tired of looking at this gif? Sign Mutombo and get it live.

pad300
08-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Centers Power Forwards

D. Mutombo Landry
D. Harrison A. Brown
A. Mourning P. Davis
M. Doleac
T. Ratliff
Magloire
Barron
Voskhul
L. Wright

I personally think that we could afford a good shot blocker also for limited amount of time (see Mutombo - Mourning - Ratliff) or a young big man with still some possibility to shine (Harrison, P. Davis)....

Presumably you are looking for 1) a guy to compete with Tolliver in Training camp, or 2) you are anticipating a trade, because our current roster of big men is 6 already
Duncan, Mahinmi, Tolliver, Oberto, Thomas, Bonner.

Either way, your looking at a 5th/6th big man, who presumably is a developmental type. In that case, I would look much younger than you are. My top 2 candidates would be Elton Brown (2 times D-league all-star), or Nick Fazekas (FA, partial season last year with LAC. When he played, he was productive). Both are young, both have decent potential. Both seem smart on court and might be able to pick up our defensive schemes. Not dominant athletically, but smart, skilled players. The one I went after would depend on who you think is being traded and what skills need augmenting on the front line. Eg if Bonner is going, bring in Fazekas. If Oberto/Kurt is going, bring in Brown.

DROB4EVER
08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
Barron or Harrison would be good pick ups. They could be had cheap and both have good skill set. Harrison is a former first round pick who when given mins looks like a very good Center, much better than what we have.

I would love to have landry but lets face it Hous will match any offer and they would never trade him to us.

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 01:34 PM

100% agreed:flag:

Duncan2177
08-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Did the spurs solve there rebounding problems? I think Mutombo or Ratliff would solve that problem, Thats just my opinion.

manufor3
08-13-2008, 04:42 PM

signed by the bucks

Bruno
08-13-2008, 05:25 PM
Did the spurs solve there rebounding problems?

Spurs didn't have rebounding troubles.

tav1
08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
I waffle on whether or not Javtokas is an NBA player, but he's probably as good as any of the other options at this point. We'll see. A bench 4 that is active, quick and can protect the rim is the front court need. Otherwise, we wait and see on Gist.

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 09:00 PM
spurs problems were not being to stop anyone in the paint......if i was timmy and i knew who was in charge of getting me help, i might have an agressive talk with that person.

johnny_J_Jackson
08-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Cross Landry off the list. he is restricted. Rockets will match any offer from within the NBA.

venitian navigator
08-14-2008, 04:32 AM
Spurs didn't have rebounding troubles.

My first thought was to have a big man who could replace the contribution of rebaounding and shot blocking...that we lost after Robinson and Nesterovic.
I mean a center with size that was so important in our old defense when the goal was to let the opponent penetrate only for being frustrated by the big man wall.
For this kind of role I think that Mutombo, Mourning and Ratliff (and maybe Magloire), for limited amounts of time and given the right circumstances, could all be very good options, and are still available...I suppose at the price we can pay.

Barron and Harrison both have in part the some skills and are younger.

I put also the names of power forwards 'cause I think that Landry, Brown and Davis have shown a very good value and I think it's kind of weird that nobody has signed them nor took a look at them (O.K. for Landry that's just because he's probably asking too much and there are hidden phisical problems...)

wildbill2u
08-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Rockets are playing it cool with Landry. They made a qualifying offer. Landry's agent say he hasn't gotten any specific offers yet, but could if he asked for an offer.

Rockets say they are waiting as well for the market value of the player to surface and have kept the MLE open to sign him. They are holding out for a medical exam of Landry's knee as well.

I don't think they let him go unless the knee is worse than expected--and clubs know that any offer will likely be matched. His other major option is overseas and he's exploring that too.