PDA

View Full Version : Chris Broussard

Caltex2
08-13-2008, 05:49 AM
Fun for the offseason.:downspin:

Chris thinks the Blazers will be fourth in the West this coming season.

http://www.snsportsbeat.net/2008/08/conversation-with-chris-broussard.html

Discuss

Bruno
08-13-2008, 06:00 AM
The hype around Portland is crazy.

FACT : They were a lottery team last year.
FACT : They have a lost a couple of solid role players this summer.
FACT : they have added only rookies this offseason.

They have done a great job at assembling a talented young core but it doesn't mean that this core will give them a championship down the road not or that Blazers will start to be good as soon as next year.

The road to be a legit contender is still long for Blazers and it's far from sure that they will reach the end of this road.

monosylab1k
08-13-2008, 08:29 AM
Chris Broussard is a dumbass. Just like every other ESPN basketball writer not named Hollinger.

RonMexico
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
I don't like that Broussard says the Suns' and Mavericks windows are closed due to age, but lists the Spurs as contenders. The Spurs' offeseason has not made them any younger, and they've only retained a few key players from last season. Gist would have been a nice pickup but they lost him to Europe. I think proper management of the aging players (i.e. Nash, Shaq, and Hill) can keep them fresh for the post-season. I don't think you can question the playoff desire of those 3 players, but they're only useful if their health can cooperate.

I see Porter managing his older players' minutes more like Popovich and less like D'Antoni. Also, I see Ricky C. able to manage his players better in Dallas as long as Josh Howard doesn't try to engage in illicit activity on and off the court.

JMarkJohns
08-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Portland should win 50 games, but top-4 is ridiculous. Maybe as high as 6th, but even then that's really pushing things. I thought they should have made a play for Posey. Obviously they thought better.

I do expect a pretty sizeable improvement again, because while they are only adding rookies, the three they are adding each will likely finish in the top-10 in ROY voting, and any one of them may actually win it. They need better shooting, and losing James Jones hurts, but Webster looked to be improving in this area, and Bayless and Fernandez are each very good shooters.

Spuradicator
08-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Chris Broussard is a dumb fuck

SenorSpur
08-13-2008, 12:45 PM
Portland should win 50 games, but top-4 is ridiculous. Maybe as high as 6th, but even then that's really pushing things. I thought they should have made a play for Posey. Obviously they thought better.

I do expect a pretty sizeable improvement again, because while they are only adding rookies, the three they are adding each will likely finish in the top-10 in ROY voting, and any one of them may actually win it. They need better shooting, and losing James Jones hurts, but Webster looked to be improving in this area, and Bayless and Fernandez are each very good shooters.

I see you've mysteriously switched team allegiances. :lol

Did you bail off the PHX bandwagon because you felt the Suns were a sinking ship?

Findog
08-13-2008, 12:48 PM

Did you bail off the PHX bandwagon because you felt the Suns were a sinking ship?

A few of us have "switched" allegiances to mock spamlongII.

Findog
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't like that Broussard says the Suns' and Mavericks windows are closed due to age, but lists the Spurs as contenders.

The Spurs have three titles with their current Big Three, while Dallas and Phoenix have a combined one Finals appearance. Broussard is a dumbass, but the Spurs are more of a contender than the Suns or Mavs.

JMarkJohns
08-13-2008, 01:29 PM

I will root for Bayless and I do like the talent the Blazers have assembled, but most of my Blazers posts are a good bit tongue in cheek.

Unfortunately, I'm still a Suns fan.

I've PMed Kori to change my subhead to read "Effin' Robert Sarver" but I've had no luck just yet. Right now I'm torn between boycotting them to try and get a new owner in (which is the right thing to do), or support them because they've been my sports life for 20 years.

As for the sinking ship, I'm a Suns fan. When has their ship not been sinking?

JamStone
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
It's no guarantee, but it's not absurd to think Portland might be a top 4 team in the West next year. All they have to do is win their division to be a top 4 team. Assuming Oklahoma City stays in the NW division, they and the Timberwolves are horrible. Denver appears to be cutting costs and might decline this upcoming season. So, if everything goes well, Portland could be battling Utah for the division. Utah probably wins the division, but the Blazers could make things interesting if they stay healthy and get team chemistry early on in the season.

RonMexico
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
Do not root for Bayless. He went to St. Mary's and U of A, which is a double negative in itself. He also carried the ball about 300 times on his way to beating Texas A&M last year.

Findog
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
It's no guarantee, but it's not absurd to think Portland might be a top 4 team in the West next year. All they have to do is win their division to be a top 4 team.

They would in effect be the fifth seed if they win their division but don't finish with a top four record, since they wouldn't have HCA in the first round. I think they've leapfrogged Denver, but I don't see them overtaking the Jazz.

Findog
08-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Do not root for Bayless. He went to St. Mary's and U of A, which is a double negative in itself. He also carried the ball about 300 times on his way to beating Texas A&M last year.

I never cared about the kid one way or the other, but spamlongII slurping him off all summer long has me rooting for him to tear his ACL.

RonMexico
08-13-2008, 03:41 PM
I mostly talking to JMark who needs to end his UA support immediately.

I mean, he was the summer league MVP and I hope his number is retired soon like Nate Robinson's

lefty
08-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Chris Broussard is a dumbass. Just like every other ESPN basketball writer not named Hollinger.

HollinPER is a dumbass too

ThunderStix®
08-13-2008, 04:40 PM

I'll always remember when he said, "I'm switching my pick to Lakers over Jazz in six, the reason? more stats" :lmao

JamStone
08-13-2008, 05:29 PM
They would in effect be the fifth seed if they win their division but don't finish with a top four record, since they wouldn't have HCA in the first round. I think they've leapfrogged Denver, but I don't see them overtaking the Jazz.

Semantical argument at that point.

Like I said, it's not a guarantee. The Jazz should be better. I don't think it would happen. But, it's possible.

monosylab1k
08-13-2008, 05:47 PM

at least with his statistical overload, Hollinger has a basis for his dumb opinions. The rest of the idiots at ESPN make their opinions based on their own stupidity.

Findog
08-13-2008, 05:52 PM
Jemelle Hill, Scoop Jackson and Rick Reilly are sportswriting AIDS

JMarkJohns
08-13-2008, 06:15 PM
I mostly talking to JMark who needs to end his UA support immediately.

Why the hating? What did UA ever do to you :)

At least you have your sweep from last season. Bayless never did know what it was like to win that game.

Caltex2
08-13-2008, 06:52 PM
at least with his statistical overload, Hollinger has a basis for his dumb opinions. The rest of the idiots at ESPN make their opinions based on their own stupidity.

I think you guys are being a little hard on them. No matter what your opinion is, someone is gonna bash it. You gotta at least respect if they base it on a something logical or tangible. That's why the average colege basketball analyst (especially at ESPN) is no good. No wonder Billy saw the door.

But it's easy to bash someone if they end up wrong. How many time shave you guys been wrong?:wakeup

rj215
08-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Why does ESPN continue to hire idiots for their NBA analysis? Broussard knows nothing about basketball other than that he needs to ride Kobe's dick every chance he gets.

The Blazers will be improved but not in the top 4. I'd say they'll finish 7th or 8th.

angelbelow
08-13-2008, 07:56 PM
most of espn are idiots. there are a few pure analysts but most just ride the superstars.

RonMexico
08-14-2008, 12:35 AM
Why the hating? What did UA ever do to you :)

At least you have your sweep from last season. Bayless never did know what it was like to win that game.

Yeah, but we at Brophy only beat him once I think...

iggypop123
08-14-2008, 12:55 AM
broussard is only good for a laugh when you hear his voice and hear him speak. other than that he is useless

SenorSpur
08-14-2008, 07:35 AM
I will root for Bayless and I do like the talent the Blazers have assembled, but most of my Blazers posts are a good bit tongue in cheek.

Unfortunately, I'm still a Suns fan.

I've PMed Kori to change my subhead to read "Effin' Robert Sarver" but I've had no luck just yet. Right now I'm torn between boycotting them to try and get a new owner in (which is the right thing to do), or support them because they've been my sports life for 20 years.

As for the sinking ship, I'm a Suns fan. When has their ship not been sinking?

:lol I admire your allegiance. Actually, the Suns now seem to have some direction with Kerr and Porter at the helm.

BTW, what exactly are your issues with that "chicken-fried" Sarver?

JMarkJohns
08-14-2008, 11:09 AM
What's my issues with Robert Sarver?

2004, Sarver starts what will be a long running tradition of selling 1st-round picks. This time for a future 1st and a 2004 2nd, passing on the opportunity to land Deng, Iguodala, Al Jefferson and Biedrins.
04-05, balks at giving Joe Johnson a 6-year, 50 million dollar deal, sticking to his guns at 6 years 45 million, telling JJ to go earn his contract extension, which JJ does, then...
2005, balks at giving JJ market value. After Redd, Allen and Hughes go for five years and 70 million each (pretty much), Sarver offers JJ 5 years, 50 million, which pisses JJ off, then after Atlanta gets involved, offers five years 60 million, still 10 million below Atlanta's offer.
2005, Suns trade their acquired 1st to New York as part of an ever evolving package to obtain Kurt Thomas. The initial reports had Thomas and a New York 1st coming to Phoenix for just Quentin Richardson. Next it was straight up. Finally it was Richardson and the acquired 1st to New York for just Kurt Thomas.
2006, To assert control and send a message that he's the absolute authority when it comes to the Suns, Sarver alienates Bryan Colangelo, running the defending executive of the year off mid-season. Colangelo immediately signs to be Toronto's GM, and is allowed to leave for no compensation given, despite BC still being under contract.
2006, with both starting big men done the for the year, and minimal bench depth, Sarver opts not to use the several million in a trade exemption to bring in true big man help, despite several quality options being available. Signs Tim Thomas, which works out very well, but then leads to...
2006, after selling off yet another two draft picks to "save money to resign Tim Thomas", Sarver then low balls the player who almost singlehandedly won them the Lakers series that previous postseason. Thomas wants four years, 20 million, a very reasonable request, but Sarver offers only three years 15 million. Tim takes the Clippers offer, leading to...
2006, them handing Marcus effin' Banks a 5 year, 23 million contract.
2006-07, with it very evident that Phoenix needed a backup PG, and with quality options like Lue and Anthony Johnson available, Sarver determines that they have enough players, only to see Nash almost break down in the coming playoffs after D'Antoni played him a career high in minutes.
2007, Another draft, another sold pick, this time going along with quality rotation player, James Jones, for nothing bu 3 million for Sarver's pockets.
2007, despite knowing his importance, Sarver greenlights (or mandates) the trading of Kurt Thomas and two future 1st-rounders, neither of which was protected in any way, to Seattle for literally nothing.
2007-8, after years of feeling illused and ignored, Marion demands to be traded, and his request is granted as he and Banks are packaged together and sent to Miami for an aged Shaquille O'Neal, a move that has yet to may off in anything other than increased jersey sales.
2008, despite absolutely know for a fact that this team is in dire need for a true back up PG for like the fifth year running, Sarver has dicked around and allowed most every FA to sign elsewhere. He is engaged in ongoing discussions to sign acquired 2nd-rounder, Goran Dragic, but price will likely factor in and Mike Wilks appears to be the fallback plan.

In Sarver's time as owner...

2004 draft - sells an acquired 05-06 Cleveland 1st to Charlotte for them to take on Jahaidi White's remaining year.
2004 draft - trades their #7 overall pick to Chicago for a future first, 3 million and a 04-05 second-rounder.
2005 draft - trades their acquired Chicago pick to New York along with Quentin Richardson to acquire Kurt Thomas.
2006 draft - trades their acquired Lakers pick to Boston for 3 million and an acquired Cleveland 1st
2006 draft - trades their own 1st rounder to Portland for 3 million
2007 draft - trades their acquired Cleveland 1st along with James Jones to Portland for 3 million
2008 offseason - trades two future Suns 1st along with Kurt Thomas for 3 million

Imagine if they had kept those picks.

Players available with said picks?

2004 (1 pick, 7th overall): Luel Deng, Andre Iguodala, Andris Biedrins, Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, Jameer Nelson, Kevin Martin

2005 (2 picks, 13 overall, 21st overall): Sean May, Danny Granger, Hakim Warrick, Jarrett Jack, Francisco Garcia, David Lee, Ronny Turiaf, Monta Ellis

2006 (2 picks, 21st overall, 27th overall): Rajon Rondo, Marcus Williams, Kyle Lowry, Jordan Farmar, Daniel Gibson, Paul Millsap

2007 (1 pick, 24th overall): Rudy Fernandez, Aaron Brooks, Gabe Pruitt, Marcus Williams, Glen Davis, Marc Gasol

- Players Alienated/Lowballed/Let Go or Traded For Nothing-
2004/2005: Joe Johnson
2005: Steven Hunter and Jim Jackson
2006: Eddie House and Tim Thomas
2007: James Jones and Kurt Thomas
2008: Shawn Marion

That's a solid team, right there, no?

- Executives Alienated/Lowballed/Let Go For Nothing -
2005: Head Scout, Rex Chapman
2006: General Manager, Bryan Colangelo
2008: Head Coach, Mike D'Antoni (not that I minded)

Does this help to answer the question :)

JMarkJohns
08-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Yeah, but we at Brophy only beat him once I think...

My cousin just graduated from Brophy this past year... I have lived in Phoenix since I was eight. I have no sense of rivalry or detestment amongst the schools. I root for Bayless because he's an Arizona product in a sport where Arizona maybe has one every handful of years. That's my primary reason. Him going to UA was just gravy :)