PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Trade Rumour

pad300
08-13-2008, 11:57 AM
http://www.screamingsports.com/en/articles/featured.aspx?a=268

3. The Nuggets trade SG J.R. Smith to the Cleveland Cavaliers for F/C Joe Smith. This one has been rumored to be in the works for weeks now and could happen at any moment. The Nuggets have a major logjam at guard and are in need of some interior defense with the losses of Camby and Najera. Smith doesn't offer you much fantasy-wise; at this point in his career, he's simply a defensive guy-think PJ Brown. LeBron has been pining after the Cleveland brass to get him someone with Smith's ability. We know he can shoot the lights out from downtown and jump out of the gym-but he offers you very little after that. The Cavs are in desperate need of some athleticism on the wing and can't depend on Wally-world to guard two's and three's night in and night out. If this one happens, keep close tabs on Smith in your fantasy drafts. He could be a late round steal and turn out to be very productive for you as your third guard or utility player.

This is interesting due to our interest in J.R. Smith... Joe is, IMO, a not exceptional big man. Presumably this is a sign and trade deal - Joe is being paid 4,788,600 (http://www.storytellerscontracts.info/resources/08-09salaries.htm),
which means J.R. Smith is being signed for between 4064000
and 6085750). We could easily match up with Joe's salary with either 1) Kurt Thomas, 2) Oberto + scraps or 3) Bonner + Scraps. (by scraps I mean Vaughn, Tolliver, or maybe, maybe Hill). Talent wise, I don't think Joe is exceptional. Kurt, Oberto, or Thomas are all decent match ups with him. Trying to horn in on this deal might be possible.

Would you consider a deal trading one of our non Duncan/Mahinmi bigs for JR Smith? It would weaken our front line, but would significantly reinforce our wing positions, which have been a concern...Would you offer sweetners (eg 2nd round picks) to get such a deal made and how much?

I would do it with Bonner, because I worry he'll never get out of Pop's doghouse... Oberto and Kurt I would have to think about carefully; I think I would say yes; you really can only play one of that pair at any given time. 20 minutes from TD and 18 for Mahinmi leaves only 48 minutes at the big man positions to spread among 4 remaining big man spots on the roster (and this assuming no small ball...). Last season, Oberto got 20.1 MPG, Kurt got 18.7 MPG (I expect this to increase with a training camp to get the system down), and Bonner got 12.5 MPG. Something needs to give to fit Mahinmi into the system, I think...

It would mean we would be looking for a 5th/6th big man... As I have previously stated, I would recommend looking at Nick Fazekas (he's an FA, the clippers having rescinded their QO, and he's been effective when he's gotten on the court in the NBA) or Elton Brown (2 time D-league all star)...

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Mahinmi is completely unproven at this point. Sending out Thomas for a guard with only Ian, Oberto, Tolliver, and Bonner hanging out with Tim in the post is suicidal.

At this point I think I'd rather trade Ian than Kurt. I don't see the Spurs going in on this deal but if they could Tim, Kurt, and Ian should all be off limits.

xtremesteven33
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
trade for JR Smith?

Bonner-yes
Oberto-no
Thomas-no
Mahimni-no
Tolliver-yes

tmtcsc
08-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Oberto and Thomas - No

Mahinmi, Bonner and/or Tolliver - Yesterday

Bruno
08-13-2008, 12:36 PM
First, Thomas can't be traded this summer.

Second, I call BS on this rumor. It makes less than zero sense for Denver to S&T JR Smith for Joe Smith.

DPG21920
08-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Exactly, if the Nuggets are willing to let go of J.R. Smith for 4M, then the Spurs would of made that offer. The whole reason for doing a S&T is to get something in value for a player instead of letting him walk. Getting Joe Smith does nothing to help them win now or in the future.

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
trade for JR Smith?

Bonner-yes
Oberto-no
Thomas-no
Mahimni-no
Tolliver-yes

i could live with that........

jjktkk
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
First, Thomas can't be traded this summer.

Second, I call BS on this rumor. It makes less than zero sense for Denver to S&T JR Smith for Joe Smith.

IMO I could see Denver doing this. They need frontline help since they traded Camby, plus they are looking to shed some $$$ off their salary cap.

djohn14
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Joe Smith just got traded for Mo Williams!

Fabbs
08-13-2008, 02:56 PM
Bonner -yes. He either sucks or Poppycock is going to keep him down. Either way, he ain't helping get a Championship.

Oberto -yes. 50% on shots from 6 inches or less has gotten old.

Vaughn - yes. who knows wtf Poppycock is doing at backup point guard. Thanks for the 2007 Finals Jaque, seriously you played as well as you were able to and definitely contributed.

KThomas -no. Overall game meets or exceeds Joe Smiths.

Ian no. We've waited this damn long. Can we finally get to see what a 2002 onward Spurs draft pick can do?

MajorMike
08-13-2008, 03:23 PM
By Darnell Mayberry
Staff Writer
Desmond Mason is coming back to Oklahoma City.

In a three-team trade expected to be announced later tonight, Oklahoma City will acquire Mason from the Milwaukee Bucks and veteran forward Joe Smith from the Cleveland Cavaliers, according to NBA sources. Oklahoma City will send point guard Luke Ridnour and Adrian Griffin to Milwaukee.

To complete the deal, Milwaukee will send point guard Mo Williams to Cleveland. The Cavs are also sending Damon Jones to the Bucks.

Mason, the former Oklahoma State standout who played in Oklahoma City from 2005-07 as a member of the temporarily-displaced New Orleans Hornets from 2005-07, has career averages of 12.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 1.7 assists. Mason, who will turn 31 in October, averaged 9.7 points, 4.3 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 59 games last year with the Bucks.

Smith, the No. 1 overall pick in 1995, is entering his 14 NBA season. He has career averages of 11.9 points, 6.9 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 0.9 blocked shots. He averaged 10.1 points and 5.2 rebounds last year in Cleveland and Chicago, where he played 50 games before his mid-season trade to the Cavs.

Both Smith and Mason have expiring contracts, which will give Oklahoma City more salary cap space next summer.

Mason would have been a part of a logjam at forward in Milwaukee after the Bucks traded for Richard Jefferson this summer and drafted West Virginia’s Joe Alexander in June.

Ridnour faced the same playing time quandary with Oklahoma City after it drafted Russell Westbrook and returnd veteran Earl Watson. Ridnour has two years remaining on his contract at $13 million.

The deal will free up more minutes for Westbrook, who showed flashes of his potential as the franchise’s point guard of the future in the Orlando Pro Summer League.