PDA

View Full Version : Predict the West in 2008-2009

Supergirl
08-13-2008, 01:51 PM
We're starting to hear from sportswriters with their predictions and lots of people have disputed them. So let's start the discussion off here - what do you think the West will look like (1 through 8) come playoff time next year?

Mine:
1. Lakers - They were good enough to get to the Finals and should be as good next year, although the loss of Turiaf will hurt them, and I'm not sold that Bynum will put them over the edge.
2. San Antonio - They were a healthy Manu away from going back to the Finals, and they have gotten younger this year. Udoka will be more settled in and even better, Mason will contribute off the bench, Thomas and Oberto will be solid companions to Duncan. But Manu's health always remains a big IF.
3. Utah - They have the fortune of playing in the weakest division, and I think they're the most ready to contend in their division.
4. New Orleans - I think Posey will hurt them more than help them, honestly. Bad signing. They overpaid. And if they lose Pargo and Wells - they're awfully thin.
5. Houston - I think the drive to prove the Artest Experiment can work will get them to the playoffs, but I don't think they're going much farther.
6. Dallas - Similar to Houston, I think the drive to prove the Kidd experiment will work will get them to the playoffs, but they won't go much farther.
7. Phoenix - Nash/Stoudemire/Shaq will be good enough to hang around, but not much more.
8. Portland - This team has potential, but is too young to go far yet. But they'll make it, and then get knocked on their asses in the first round. And in 3 years, they'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Predictions, based on these standings:
LA v Portland - LA advances
SA v Phoenix - SA advances
Utah v. Dallas - Utah advances
NO v Houston - Hard to say. If Houston is 100% healthy, Houston.
LA v. Houston - See above
SA v. Utah - SA advances
Houston v. SA - SA advances and makes another championship run

stretch
08-13-2008, 02:00 PM
homer

Leetonidas
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
Uh, if the LAKERS are 100% healthy, they're probably going to rape the Rockettes.

Findog
08-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Assuming no significant player movement:

1. Lakers
2. Hornets
3. Spurs
4. Jazz
5. Rockets
6. Mavs
7. Suns
8. Blazers

GuerillaBlack
08-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Fun, fun. :toast

My predictions:

1. Lakers - They were great last year. If Bynum can be back 100% healthy, they are almost a sure lock for the #1 seed (that's if Bynum can play like he was last December).

2. Houston - They were great last year. 22 game win streak, etc. Playoff time, they were battered with injuries. Battier, Alston, and McGrady were all playing on injuries that needed surgery. Yao Ming was already out. If all were healthy, we would have beat Utah. No doubt in my mind. But this year, we add in Ron Artest and create huge matchup problems with other teams. I would put them at #1 seed, but I'm not so confident that they will have a better record than the Lakers. I see them at #2 this year.

3. New Orleans - CP3 will have another MVP-like season. David West will have another All-Star like season. This team is young and on the rise now.

4. Utah - Utah will win their division, but have a worse record than the Spurs below. That's the only reason why I see them at 4th. Deron + Carlos will be great again this year.

5. San Antonio - The Spurs. I see them with a better record than Utah, but they can't become the fourth seed because of that NBA rule. They are an aging, but still elite team.

6. Phoenix - I think a year of the Diesel will help out Phoenix this year. Only problem, they are old now. If this was say, three or even four years ago, they would be up higher. Amare Stoudemire will have a monster year. I think he averaged 28 points a game once Shaq came. Let's see what he does a whole season.

7. Dallas - The Kidd experiment hasn't been that great. I still think that it was a bad trade to make. With no major offseason acquisitions and giving the full MLE to Diop, I don't see this team being much higher. I'll give them 6th at the best, but see them at 7th.

8. Portland - What Supergirl said: "This team has potential, but is too young to go far yet. But they'll make it, and then get knocked on their asses in the first round. And in 3 years, they'll be a force to be reckoned with."

So, playoff predictions.

First Round:
LA vs. Portland - LA advances
Houston vs. Dallas - Houston advances
New Orleans vs. Phoenix - New Orleans advances
Utah vs. SA - SA advances

Second Round:
LA vs. SA - Hard one to pick. I want to say LA, because if they have Bynum, it'll be tough for the Spurs. So, LA it is.
Houston vs. New Orleans - If 100% healthy, Houston advances. Houston vs. New Orleans is always a good match to watch, and Houston (at least during the regular season), beats NO when completely healthy.

Conference Finals:
LA vs. Houston - (Homer) Houston advances just like the 1986 Conference Finals. Whoot! :toast

Findog
08-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Shaq has even less left than Kidd does, and unless the Suns set the world on fire and get off to a great start, he'll quit on them and throw his teammates under the bus. Three of their top four players are on the wrong side of 35. Mavs get bragging rights on the Suns for the sixth seed and the honor of losing to the Hornets or Spurs in the first round.

Kidd at least is motivated and will work hard to make the trade work. It won't, but he won't quit on Dirk or the Mavs.

GuerillaBlack
08-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Shaq has even less left than Kidd does, and unless the Suns set the world on fire and get off to a great start, he'll quit on them and throw his teammates under the bus. Three of their top four players are on the wrong side of 35. Mavs get bragging rights on the Suns for the sixth seed and the honor of losing to the Hornets or Spurs in the first round.

Kidd at least is motivated and will work hard to make the trade work. It won't, but he won't quit on Dirk or the Mavs.

I don't know, maybe. I can honestly see it going either way this year between the Mavs and Suns.

Findog
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I don't know, maybe. I can honestly see it going either way this year between the Mavs and Suns.

It's not of much consequence anyways, as of right now they're both first-round fodder.