PDA

View Full Version : It's difficult to hate John Lynch.........

johnsmith
08-13-2008, 04:12 PM
but I guess I'll have too.

Lynch cozing up with Patriots
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 08/13/2008 12:47:07 PM MDT

Denver Broncos John Lynch at Dove Valley on the day he said goodbye to Broncos fans, Thursday, July 31, 2008. (THE DENVER POST | John Leyba)John Lynch is not finished pursuing a second Super Bowl ring.

A Broncos' veteran safety until he asked for his release two weeks ago, Lynch visited with the New England Patriots Tuesday and is taking his physical today, an NFL source confirmed.

It makes sense. The Patriots, prohibitive favorites in the AFC, are a team that loves veterans, especially on defense. In going 18-0 last season before losing Super Bowl XLII, the Patriots started linebacker Junior Seau, who turned 39 during the playoffs last season, linebacker Tedy Bruschi, 35, and safety Rodney Harrison, who turns 36 in December.

Lynch turns 37 in September, so he's the Pats' kind of player. When he became a free agent after the 2003 season, Lynch nearly signed with New England but instead chose Denver. He played four seasons with the Broncos and showed up to training camp for his fifth. But early in training camp, Lynch realized he would only be a part-time player in Denver.

When in explaining his release, Lynch said only his situation with the Broncos "didn't feel right."

It appears now Lynch wanted an opportunity to pursue a Super Bowl and on the eve of camp, he didn't sound confident of the Broncos' chances.

"More important than other people's expectations is what we feel like we can do," Lynch said. "And in a sense, expectations even within this building is, you just don't know."

The Broncos play at New England on Oct. 20, a Monday night game.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or [email protected].

monosylab1k
08-13-2008, 04:43 PM
johnsmith, what does this guy have left in the tank? anything?

i suppose anything is better than trotting Roidney Harrison's old ass out there again, but another old slow safety isn't exactly a great move for the Pats. My biggest fear is that Belichick goes completely retarded and starts Lynch & Harrison at both safety spots.

johnsmith
08-13-2008, 04:49 PM
johnsmith, what does this guy have left in the tank? anything?

i suppose anything is better than trotting Roidney Harrison's old ass out there again, but another old slow safety isn't exactly a great move for the Pats. My biggest fear is that Belichick goes completely retarded and starts Lynch & Harrison at both safety spots.

He's slow, really really slow. He can't cover a pass anymore..........at all.

Having said that, he makes up a lot of that by being the most intelligent defensive player I've ever watched. Dude makes sure he's in the right spot at the right time. Problem comes when he has to make an open field tackle because that just doesn't happen for him anymore.

Honestly, I was indifferent to the Broncos releasing him, on the one hand, he can coach the hell out of the defense while on the field, but on the other hand he's slower then dog shit.

I'd give him a C+ if I were to grade him as an NFL safety nowadays.

He can still lay the wood on a defenseless receiver from time to time.

monosylab1k
08-13-2008, 04:53 PM
I'm reading speculation that Belichick might like to use him as a Safety/Linebacker hybrid....that might be the best thing especially if he can't cover anymore.

johnsmith
08-13-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm reading speculation that Belichick might like to use him as a Safety/Linebacker hybrid....that might be the best thing especially if he can't cover anymore.

That would be a smart move. The only time he really excelled in Denver was when they used him like that during the year they went to the AFC championship.

He was awesome coming around the end (ask Drew Brees) during that year and putting extra pressure on the QB. Also, it helped out tremendously against the run to have him key on the HB which they did for about half of that season.

johnsmith
08-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Oh, and he's injury prone nowadays..............so you got that to look forward too.

Luke Skywalker
08-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Off topic but I met a Patriots fan today at a bar and if he doesn't make money being an Al Pacino impostor, he should. i had a double take when i started talking to him and he did the voice perfect.

K-State Spur
08-13-2008, 11:46 PM
Off topic but I met a Patriots fan today at a bar and if he doesn't make money being an Al Pacino impostor, he should. i had a double take when i started talking to him and he did the voice perfect.

Actual Pacino? Most Pacino impersonators cheat and do an impression of him as Tony Montana.

Luke Skywalker
08-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Actual Pacino? Most Pacino impersonators cheat and do an impression of him as Tony Montana.

Yeah an actual Pacino impostor, i am pretty sure it was his real voice too because i talked to him for about an hour. Don't think someone impersonating a voice could keep it up for that long.

TheSanityAnnex
08-14-2008, 04:12 AM
Yet another reason to hate the Patriots/Broncos.

Whisky Dog
08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
So basically John Lynch at 37 has become Roy Williams?

stretch
08-14-2008, 02:26 PM

Lynch is smart.

Roy is not.

Whisky Dog
08-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Lynch is smart.

Roy is not.

What do you expect from an Oklahoma education?

Basically, Lynch at his age is now being considered for the Roy Williams role of being played away from coverage responsibilities because he just can't cover anymore. His intelligence is the only thing keeping him in the league at this point.

dickface
08-14-2008, 02:38 PM

yes, John Lynch at 37 = Roy Williams at 27.

Whisky Dog
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
yes, John Lynch at 37 = Roy Williams at 27.

Yep. That was the joke.