PDA

View Full Version : Want to be a Baseline Bum?

DynastyBuilder
08-13-2008, 05:07 PM
by Raj Singh, spurs.com

If you've come to a Spurs home game chances are you've seen them. They're a loud and energetic bunch but some Spurs fans may wonder who they are. Well it is no mystery, they are the Baseline Bums.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/baseline_bums_080813.html

Pretty nice little read. :toast

cool hand
08-13-2008, 05:18 PM
for this season...........no.

I. Hustle
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Wish I had the dough. They are at the Fatso's right around the corner from me.

baseline bum
08-13-2008, 05:46 PM
Today, the Baseline Bums consist of the most passionate and dedicated fans that, described by Blanda, bleed silver and black. If heckling would still be tolerated today, these would be the people to instigate it.

Heckling not tolerated? WTF?

How can they even call themselves the bums without George, Kathy, or Leon?

dbestpro
08-13-2008, 05:58 PM
The baseline bums were all of that back in the day of the bruise brothers. Mean, nasty and intimidating. Now they're old and boring as they bang away on their tamborine.
They're located up and away from the court so baseline really no longer applies.

I mean no disrespect because in a league long ago they were really a pain in the neck for opposing teams. Now? They remind of the Rolling Stones. If I really want a bunch of old people screaming at me I'll go visit the nursing home.

ashbeeigh
08-13-2008, 06:01 PM
How to Become a Bum
The Baseline Bums have a limited number of vacancies and are currently accepting membership applications for the 2008-2009 Spurs Season. In addition to the application, those interested will be interviewed by Bum membership committee members to ensure they understand what the requirements are and review Bum benefits. The Bum's are looking for die-hard Spurs fans who are willing to donate 25 hours of Spurs designated volunteer work in lieu of significantly discounted season tickets, pay $30 annual membership dues, sell raffle tickets and support the Spurs in an enthusiastic, positive manner.

how much is significantly? I can hardly afford a $25 ticket some days.

Steve-O-Matic
08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
I seem to remember when I was a little kid and we moved to SA back in 1981 that the Baseline Bums (or at least some of them) used to wear Halloween masks (typically of witches or something similar) and sat in the upper deck at the old HemisFair Arena. Does anyone recall that?

BlackSwordsMan
08-13-2008, 06:54 PM
This season is gonna make me cry. no thanks

baseline bum
08-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I seem to remember when I was a little kid and we moved to SA back in 1981 that the Baseline Bums (or at least some of them) used to wear Halloween masks (typically of witches or something similar) and sat in the upper deck at the old HemisFair Arena. Does anyone recall that?

The Bums sat in section 20 of Hemisfair (right above the opponent's locker-room), so I doubt that was them.

ShoogarBear
08-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Damn, I miss the real Baseline Bums, and the Sound of the Spurs.

Steve-O-Matic
08-13-2008, 07:25 PM
The Bums sat in section 20 of Hemisfair (right above the opponent's locker-room), so I doubt that was them.
Sorry, that's what I meant (didn't mean to imply up in the nose-bleeds). I remember they had a Baseline Bums banner right below them, so it was definitely them.

Brutalis
08-13-2008, 07:28 PM
They're not even on the baseline...

baseline bum
08-13-2008, 08:00 PM

The LA Times did a really cool article about the old Bums back in the 03 Finals. It talked about Leon dressing in a diaper and drinking beer out a baby bottle while calling Magic a crybaby, and about the time he brought in a cow tongue to taunt Jordan.

mrspurs
08-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Sorry, that's what I meant (didn't mean to imply up in the nose-bleeds). I remember they had a Baseline Bums banner right below them, so it was definitely them.

it was them......noway you could miss the baseline bums

romsho
08-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Al Sturchio and the Sound of the Spurs. I can still hear the "Spurs just can't lose now" and "Cotton eyed-Joe" music clear as day. And that same fat baseline bum with the spotlight on him being serenaded while he danced with his beer cup. Got damn I loved Hemisfair Arena.

alamo50
08-14-2008, 02:47 AM
Heckling not tolerated? WTF?

How can they even call themselves the bums without George, Kathy, or Leon?

Word.