PDA

View Full Version : Kobe, the Argentina fan

ElNono
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
LINK (http://www.monstersandcritics.com/sport/olympics2008/news/article_1423495.php/Dazzled_by_Messi_basketball_star_Bryant_roots_for_ Argentina__Feature_)

Dazzled by Messi, basketball star Bryant roots for Argentina (Feature)
By Leonardo Almanza Aug 12, 2008, 18:59 GMT

Beijing - US basketball superstar Kobe Bryant is so impressed with Argentine football talent Lionel Messi, that he intends to cheer for Argentina when it plays Serbia on Wednesday.

'I could not believe it,' Bryant told Deutsche Presse-Agentur dpa Tuesday, shortly after the United States beat Angola 97-76 in their second game at the Beijing Olympics.

'It was spectacular. A shock! Messi is my favourite footballer. He is a phenomenon. I went into the media dining room, looked left, and I thought, 'Oops! They're all there',' the Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard said of his chance encounter Monday with the Argentine football team.

'We took pictures. It was very moving. I am very happy,' the basketball icon said.

Bryant likes Messi so much because 'he is the most creative of all.'

'I love to see him play. He is very talented with the ball. You never know what he is going to do with it,' he said.

Bryant spent several childhood years in Italy, and played football there. He has retained a great interest in the sport, and lists Brazilian Ronaldinho as his football favourite after Messi.

'Between them, they make a real 'dream team'.'

Asked how good he was at football, the Laker was disarmingly frank: 'Luckily, I went for basketball.'

Bryant plans to watch from the stands as Argentina plays Serbia Wednesday, in its first game of three in the Olympics so far.

'I will go there and sing, 'Go, Argentina',' he said enthusiastically.

Bryant might just miss watching Messi in action, however, as the Barcelona striker will probably be on the substitutes' bench.

Argentine coach Sergio Batista was also planning to preserve Juan Roman Riquelme and Sergio Aguero as his team has already qualified for the next round, regardless of the outcome against Serbia.

Bryant's fondness for the South American country was quite apparent, since he also watched from the stands as its basketball team thrashed Australia 85-68 on Tuesday.

Bryant and US swimming sensation Michael Phelps are the most sought-after stars at the Olympics. Tennis ace Roger Federer was among those who have said they hope to meet the basketball player.

When asked about being the most popular man in Beijing, Bryant was quick to say, 'I don't think so.' Then he added: 'But, it is true that people here are incredibly nice to me.'

carina_gino20
08-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Bryant's fondness for the South American country was quite apparent, since he also watched from the stands as its basketball team thrashed Australia 85-68 on Tuesday.

So that's what Manu's complaining about. :lol

alamo50
08-14-2008, 02:32 AM
Sweet, now y´all can cheer for Holland when they play Argentina on Saturday!

MaNuMaNiAc
08-14-2008, 02:46 AM
Sweet, now y´all can cheer for Holland when they play Argentina on Saturday!

Guess what! Kobe is a fan... you're gonna get raped! :devil