PDA

View Full Version : Best PG in the NBA right now

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 07:59 AM
In my opinion, the PG position is the most vital position in the NBA because no team can run effectively without a good one. Only Phil Jackson has figured out how to run an offense without a PG, and that's because he plays a "point forward" instead. But every team needs a leader, a guy who is both quick, athletic, and has a high basketball IQ to make good decisions on every possession.

Who do you think is the best point guard RIGHT NOW? As in, given their current age, last year's performance, career accomplishments, and future?

JamStone
08-14-2008, 08:03 AM
This upcoming season, it will be Chris Duhon.

:rollin

dickface
08-14-2008, 08:24 AM
why exactly is Jason Terry an option?

Humble Billy Hayes
08-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Jason Kidd, twoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo shots!

I. Hustle
08-14-2008, 08:55 AM
I voted Tony cuz wwweeeeeelllllllllllllllllllll it just felt right

The Franchise
08-14-2008, 08:58 AM
Rafer Alston babby!!!!

endrity
08-14-2008, 09:10 AM
DWill, the man takes over a game like no other PG can right now. Sorry CP3 fans.

stretch
08-14-2008, 09:14 AM
DWill, the man takes over a game like no other PG can right now. Sorry CP3 fans.

i STRONGLY disagree.

CP3 is much more capable of taking over games on his own, while D-Will is more of a pure PG than CP3 is. CP3s creativity at the PG position is unmatched.

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I think Deron Williams is currently the best PG with the biggest upside. Chris Paul is weaker defensively and has a poorer basketball IQ. Tony Parker's inconsistent scoring from the outside keeps him from being the best, but I think he may be the smartest PG with the most intangibles, hence he's got 3 rings.

2 years ago I would have said Chauncey Billups. 4 years ago I would have said Kidd. As good as Nash is, his gaping defensive holes will always prevent him from being the best PG in my book.

JamStone
08-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Baron Davis and Gilbert Arenas should be options despite being shoot-first combo point guards. Well, at least over Rondo and Terry, if you're going to make those two options.

rj215
08-14-2008, 09:23 AM
Nash if you only like offense.

CP3 if you like lob passes.

DWill if you like a guy that plays hard only during the end of quarters.

AI if you like tattoos.

Kidd if you like wife beating coach killers.

Parker if you're into French rap.

But in all seriousness it's CP3 over Dwill right now.

Findog
08-14-2008, 09:38 AM
I love JET, but seriously? He's a "combo guard," and that's not a compliment to his playmaking ability.

BlackSwordsMan
08-14-2008, 09:57 AM
lol@ jason kidd winning

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Baron Davis and Gilbert Arenas should be options despite being shoot-first combo point guards. Well, at least over Rondo and Terry, if you're going to make those two options.

You're right, I should have put Baron Davis up there. Arenas is a combo guard (like Terry) and both those guys are sort of questionable as to whether they should be there.

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
I put Rondo up because his play all this past year was amazing on both ends of the court, and he led the Celtics to a championship. KG couldn't have been KG without a solid playmaker by his side.

What remains to be seen about Rondo is whether he can continue his high level of play, because if he can he has the potential to be one of the great PGs.

Deron Williams reminds me a lot of Chauncey. Both are excellent defenders and smart players, and both are clutch, clutch, clutch in the 4th quarter.

XTah
08-14-2008, 10:40 AM
In my opinion, the PG position is the most vital position in the NBA because no team can run effectively without a good one. Only Phil Jackson has figured out how to run an offense without a PG, and that's because he plays a "point forward" instead. But every team needs a leader, a guy who is both quick, athletic, and has a high basketball IQ to make good decisions on every possession.

Really? Explain to me then why certain teams have won championships, not only Phil Jackson coached teams, and certain teams have not. Unless your best player is like Michael Jordan, you still need a top big man more than you need a top guard.

But the best point guard right now is Chris Paul. He may be a little small so worse defensively than Deron Williams. However he makes his teammates a lot better. Do you really think both David West and Tyson Chandler would be as good as they are without him? However, on Utah's side, I can't think of one player that is clearly better with Deron Williams.

stretch
08-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I put Rondo up because his play all this past year was amazing on both ends of the court, and he led the Celtics to a championship. KG couldn't have been KG without a solid playmaker by his side.

LOL are you joking or what? ever heard of Paul Pierce? James Posey? Ray Allen? Those guys were all FAR more key than Rondo. Rondo hit wide open jumpshots because of the attention all those guys drew. He is AT BEST a 3rd option.

Darkwaters
08-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Yea, Rajon Rondo? What the heck?

Billy Cobham
08-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I'd take DWill by a hair over CP3.

ambchang
08-14-2008, 12:18 PM
There really isn't any point having any choices other than Dwill and CP3.

dirk4mvp
08-14-2008, 12:23 PM
As much as common spur fan obsesses over Devin Harris as to how he's the next Oscar and we let him go, I'm surprised his name isn't on the list 3 times.

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 12:29 PM
LOL are you joking or what? ever heard of Paul Pierce? James Posey? Ray Allen? Those guys were all FAR more key than Rondo. Rondo hit wide open jumpshots because of the attention all those guys drew. He is AT BEST a 3rd option.

Pierce is a fantastic player, but he couldn't get it done without a PG to run the show, and neither could KG. I'm certainly not suggesting Rondo is the "star" of the Celtics, I'm suggesting that star players, big scorers, need a playmaker to help them win. Jordan had Pippen, which, as I've said, is the exception to the PG rule. Jackson has devised an alternative model that relies on a point forward, but other than him, I can't think of a coach who has won without a solid PG.

Rondo was and is a vital piece for the Celtics. KG and Pierce need a floor general, and there were a lot of questions before the season as to whether Rondo was mature enough yet to be that guy, but he proved he was.

stretch
08-14-2008, 12:39 PM
I'm certainly not suggesting Rondo is the "star" of the Celtics, I'm suggesting that star players, big scorers, need a playmaker to help them win.

only problem is that Rondo isnt a playmaker. he had plays made for him, and simply had to hit wipe open shots.

xtremesteven33
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Tony Parker
4. Steve Nash
5. Baron Davis

LocosPorJuana
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Rafer Alston!

Best regards,
Van Gundy :king

benefactor
08-14-2008, 01:01 PM
CP3 is the best all around, game managing PG in the league right now. DWill is good with his size, but if I am building a team and want a pure floor general I take CP3 every time.

...and how does Kidd have 10 votes? He is a shell of his former self.

Boston Pancake
08-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Lookit fucksticks, Rajon Rondo is the reigning champ. Give that guy some motherfucking respect.

Avery_Johnson
08-14-2008, 01:13 PM
Where am I on this list? You must be drinkin too much o' dat berra if you think I'm now the greatest point gawd ever to play baaaasketbawl.

Gino
08-14-2008, 01:23 PM
These results are disgusting.

1. Chris Paul
2. Steve Nash
3. Deron Williams
4. Tony Parker

confined
08-14-2008, 01:37 PM
30 votes for Kidd! Wow

Red Hawk #21
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
To me the best PG in the Nba is Deron Williams, he's a great playmaker, he can set his teammates up for easy baskets, he has a better jumpshot than Cp3, he is strong, and he can play very good defense. How is Kidd leading this poll??

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
I voted Deron but somehow 10 votes were added to Kidd.

Colombiano972
08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
1.Chris Paul
2.Deron Williams
3.Steve Nash
4.Baron Davis
5.Chauncey Billups

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 01:59 PM
I am really surprised at how many votes Kidd has gotten. Wow. And how few Nash has gotten. Not that I think either one of them is currently the best PG in the league.

Red Hawk #21
08-14-2008, 02:05 PM
How can Steve Nash only have two votes? Is that a sign that all the Phoenix suns fans have jumped off the bandwagon?

DaDakota
08-14-2008, 02:06 PM
VSpan.

;)

DD

manufor3
08-14-2008, 02:39 PM
Cp3

xtremesteven33
08-14-2008, 02:45 PM
i think i have 2 feelings about this.

1. who is the best right now? no question its CP3. he can break down defenses like no other PG. i remember how much he tore up the spurs defense in the playoffs, it was almost embaressing. i havent seen a player give the spurs that much problems EVER!!

butt.....

if you were to ask me who do you want as the PG on your team forEVER? i would pick Deron Williams.

big body
smart
fantastic shot
better athlete
better defense
seems less injury prone
better sportsmanship also. doesnt low blow other players...haha

Red Hawk #21
08-14-2008, 02:50 PM
i think i have 2 feelings about this.

1. who is the best right now? no question its CP3. he can break down defenses like no other PG. i remember how much he tore up the spurs defense in the playoffs, it was almost embaressing. i havent seen a player give the spurs that much problems EVER!!

butt.....

if you were to ask me who do you want as the PG on your team forEVER? i would pick Deron Williams.

big body
smart
fantastic shot
better athlete
better defense
seems less injury prone
better sportsmanship also. doesnt low blow other players...haha

:toast

urunobili
08-14-2008, 03:04 PM
:lmao at the Mav trolls filling Kidd's box

nsrammstein
08-14-2008, 03:10 PM
lmfaoooooooooooo @ kidd having 35 votes

balli
08-14-2008, 03:17 PM
The 36 people who have voted for Kidd so far are fucking morons. You should all be banned, because clearly, you don't know jack shit about the game of basketball.

There should only be two options, Paul & Deron. My vote would go to Deron, but if you don't call him the best, it has to be Paul. Nobody else should even be discussed.

ThunderStix®
08-14-2008, 04:43 PM
There really isn't any point having any choices other than Dwill and CP3.

jack sommerset
08-14-2008, 05:32 PM
I like Davis when he is healthy.

:lol Kidd leading this poll!

GuerillaBlack
08-14-2008, 05:58 PM
You're right, I should have put Baron Davis up there.

Yeah you should have. First you forget Baron Davis on the PG thread. Then, forget Yao Ming on the C thread. Come on now. ;)

Bruno
08-14-2008, 06:06 PM
Jason Kidd by a large margin.

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 07:53 AM
i hate saying it but its cp3, your dwill gets scared under pressure. nothing bothers cp3 except the time clock, when there is .2 left, and even then he will find away to make something positive happen.......cp3 makes all the rest of the points on this list look like rookies, and next season will be his..........this is my league and yall cant do nothing about it season. only thing thats stops NO is NO, and maybe a duncan 3pointer if he gets lucky again :wow

1Parker1
08-15-2008, 08:52 AM
It's CP3 hands down. and :lol How did Jason Kidd come in 2nd place? Guess there are a lot more blind Mav fans than I thought.

resistanze
08-15-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm voting Jason Kidd just to add to the absurdity.

Findog
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
The 36 people who have voted for Kidd so far are fucking morons. You should all be banned, because clearly, you don't know jack shit about the game of basketball.

Ever heard of irony? Or sarcasm?

Findog
08-15-2008, 10:06 AM
It's CP3 hands down. and :lol How did Jason Kidd come in 2nd place? Guess there are a lot more blind Mav fans than I thought.

Ever heard of irony? Or sarcasm?

Ill Cosby
08-16-2008, 11:39 AM
CP3 is the best all around, game managing

C/S but how in the hell is Jason Freekin' Kidd in front of CP3

Kidd got his ass bust in every which a way in the first round

Mister Sinister
08-16-2008, 11:41 AM
George Hill!

GuerillaBlack
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Something is up. How the hell is Jason Kidd in first. :lmao