PDA

View Full Version : Best C in the game right now?

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 02:52 PM
OK, let's take on another controversial debate.

Who is currently the best C, in the classic sense of the word - someone who blocks shots, defends, makes layups and dunks, and mans the paint?

stretch
08-14-2008, 02:53 PM
Right now, Dwight Howard.

DisAsTerBot
d. howard

Mr.Bottomtooth
^^

XTah
08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
Best Center? Dwight Howard
Best of those you've got up there? Tim Duncan

Take Duncan and Bosh off of there.

urunobili
08-14-2008, 03:05 PM
TD is a PF

IronMexican
08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Best Center? Dwight Howard
Best of those you've got up there? Tim Duncan

Take Duncan and Bosh off of there.

Bosh is gonna play PF next to O'neal.

Dwight.

ambchang
08-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Duncan is the better player even though he is a PF, but he would be a better than all listed if he was to play C.

stretch
08-14-2008, 03:34 PM
#1 Center in the league, HANDS DOWN (http://www.raygoldmodels.com/)

balli
08-14-2008, 03:37 PM
According to most Spurs fans Tim Duncan is the best PF ever... Unless we're talking about who the best center is, because then, Tim Duncan becomes a center.

xtremesteven33
08-14-2008, 03:38 PM
i took the question as "Best Big Man?"

Tim Duncan by a mile

stretch
08-14-2008, 03:39 PM
i took the question as "Best Big Man?"

Tim Duncan by a mile

well that wasnt the question was it numnuts

xtremesteven33
08-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Who is currently the best C, in the classic sense of the word - someone who blocks shots, defends, makes layups and dunks, and mans the paint?

thats pretty general isnt it?

stretch
08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
thats pretty general isnt it?

it also said CENTER

bdubya
08-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Best center of those listed has to be Dwight Howard. Which says a lot about the current state of "centers" in the league....

DOMINATOR
08-14-2008, 03:44 PM
you left the best C off the list... Yao Ming

balli
08-14-2008, 03:45 PM

:lmao

:wakeup at this stupid thread

xtremesteven33
08-14-2008, 03:47 PM
it also said CENTER

it also said best blocker, defender, shooter, and player overral.

stretch
08-14-2008, 03:51 PM
it also said best blocker, defender, shooter, and player overral.

among centers.

ThunderStix®
08-14-2008, 04:10 PM

Knew what that was gonna be. :lol

Thanks, now if someone comes into the room, I can just claim I was Rick rolled, when in truth, I was jammin' out and singing along. ;)

Findog
08-14-2008, 04:10 PM
Joel Pryzbilla

/spamlongII

Findog
08-14-2008, 04:11 PM

Maybe that would be true if he could play defense, not get winded after 3 trips down the court and didn't have Bill Walton feet.

ThunderStix®
08-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Joel Pryzbilla

/spamlongII

:lol

E20
08-14-2008, 04:14 PM
George Muresan

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM

Dick.

duncan228
08-14-2008, 04:24 PM
According to most Spurs fans Tim Duncan is the best PF ever... Unless we're talking about who the best center is, because then, Tim Duncan becomes a center.

:lol

rj215
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Sadly it's Dwight Howard. Although all he does dunk 150 times a season. He looks lost during the Olympics so far.

GuerillaBlack
08-14-2008, 04:32 PM
OK, let's take on another controversial debate.

Even though I don't believe Yao is really the best center right now, it's pretty stupid not to have him listed as a choice.

mrspurs
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM

duh.......my first thought :wow

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
OY! Can't believe I left off Yao Ming. Dumb. Not an intentional omission.

I debated back and forth who to include, esp over Duncan. This is the endless debate. He insists on being a "PF" and playing with a "C" but in many ways he meets all the criteria of a C and plays like a C. I also think that the older he gets, the more this is true. He is still the anchor of the Spurs, but defensively so more than anything. Very center-like.

Tmac&Luther
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe that would be true if he could play defense, not get winded after 3 trips down the court and didn't have Bill Walton feet.

Yao Ming does play defense dumbass......he holds other bigs below their averages pretty much on a nightly basis. The Rockets are also one of the best defensive teams on a yearly basis with him at Center.......his size alone makes him a good defender.

Findog
08-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Yao Ming does play defense dumbass......he holds other bigs below their averages pretty much on a nightly basis. The Rockets are also one of the best defensive teams on a yearly basis with him at Center.......his size alone makes him a good defender.

The Rockets have played at a slow pace, which accounts for a huge portion of their good defensive stats. He doesn't block enough shots or rebound well for his size, and part of the reason he gets winded so easily is that Houston's defensive schemes have him chasing offensive players out of the post and trapping pick and rolls. He doesn't have great lateral quickness and most of his rebounds are of the phone-booth variety that come right to him.

XTah
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Yao Ming is also a little to injury-prone. I would have to rank them Dwight Howard, 1 and Yao Ming a close 2

XTah
08-14-2008, 05:00 PM
Tmac & Luther, about your sig, I don't believe it unless you can prove to me that Yao and Mcgrady can stay healthy

Tmac&Luther
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
The Rockets have played at a slow pace, which accounts for a huge portion of their good defensive stats. He doesn't block enough shots or rebound well for his size, and part of the reason he gets winded so easily is that Houston's defensive schemes have him chasing offensive players out of the post and trapping pick and rolls. He doesn't have great lateral quickness and most of his rebounds are of the phone-booth variety that come right to him.

Wrong again........look up their Defensive FG% (or how about points in the paint), that doesn't have jack crap to do with their pace.

And Yao does rebound well for his size (just another thing that your wrong about, but what else is new) Yao would actually be a better rebounder if he was 5 inches shorter, because he would be able to move better, but he is a good rebounder and even beats the almighty Dwight Howard on the boards every damn time they play against eacher (Yao even out rebounded him in the Olympics when it was obvious Yao was laboring after coming back from injury)

Yao also doesn't get as winded as your making it seem, he's spent alot of work on his conditioning and really doesn't get as winded anymore (granted he's going to have to work himself back into shape after his last injury).

Tmac&Luther
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Yao Ming is also a little to injury-prone. I would have to rank them Dwight Howard, 1 and Yao Ming a close 2

That's fine, because that's the only knock on him. He does play defense and rebounds however.

His ability to stay healthy is the only knock, but when healthy he's the best center in the league. He can do things that Dwight can't.......like actually perform multiple post moves and hit FTs.......he has range further than 5 feet from the basket, which is why when Yao plays Dwight he gets the best of him.

Tmac&Luther
08-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Tmac & Luther, about your sig, I don't believe it unless you can prove to me that Yao and Mcgrady can stay healthy

It's just a sig, nothing personal..........and yes we need to prove it on the court.

Bruno
08-14-2008, 06:09 PM
It's Dampier.

Pero
08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Where is Yao Ming??????

Pero
08-14-2008, 06:51 PM
Ah. :lol

DOMINATOR
08-14-2008, 06:52 PM
Tmac&Luther you do know Findog is a troll. he is some lonely Mavericks fan sulking in his corner of the internet.

XTah
08-14-2008, 07:25 PM
It's just a sig, nothing personal..........and yes we need to prove it on the court.

I figured something like that. I was just giving you a hard time

johnny_J_Jackson
08-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Spurs fans like taking 10 inch cocks in the ass while their mother's watch.

tlongII
08-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Greg Oden. Easily.

Supergirl
08-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Greg Oden. Easily.

Didn't include Oden, he hasn't even played a single NBA game. For all you know he's going to get into a car accident tomorrow and be paralyzed. So, for now, he's out of the running.

Findog
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
Tmac&Luther you do know Findog is a troll. he is some lonely Mavericks fan sulking in his corner of the internet.

This is rich. I make an honest assessment of Yao's game and that makes me a troll. I'm sorry he breaks down and can't play more than 50 games every year. Sounds like you're the one that is sulking and bitter. Hey Dominator, when Yao suffers his annual season-ending injury, tell me how my ass tastes.

GuerillaBlack
08-14-2008, 09:42 PM
This is rich. I make an honest assessment of Yao's game and that makes me a troll. I'm sorry he breaks down and can't play more than 50 games every year. Sounds like you're the one that is sulking and bitter. Hey Dominator, tell me how my ass tastes.

:lmao Rappin' Shaq is in all of us.

Findog is no troll fellas.

Findog
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
:lmao Rappin' Shaq is in all of us.

Findog is no troll fellas.

GuerillaBlack, you're goods in my book. I won't vote for you in your poll.

GuerillaBlack
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
<3

mystargtr34
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I will..

1. Dwight
2. Yao
3. Bynum
4. Jefferson
5. Bogut

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
Yao Ming IS the best Center in the league and has been for the last 4 years.

This is a Joke and the haters and homers bleed through.

I doubt it was an accident leaving Yao out of the poll:sleep
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHA171_8x10-2005-2006Action~Yao-Ming-Posters.jpg

Name one center that can stop Yao one on one in the low block?

That's right:rolleyes

tlongII
08-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Yao Ming IS the best Center in the league and has been for the last 4 years.

This is a Joke and the haters and homers bleed through.

I doubt it was an accident leaving Yao out of the poll:sleep
http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/pic/PHO/AAHA171_8x10-2005-2006Action~Yao-Ming-Posters.jpg

Name one center that can stop Yao one on one in the low block?

That's right:rolleyes

Oden. Every one of you punk ass bitches is in for a rude awakening.

GuerillaBlack
08-15-2008, 12:12 AM
ODEN HAS NOT PLAYED A FUCKING GAME, SO STFU!!

There.

sook
08-15-2008, 12:27 AM
you fucking idiot you don't even have Yao up there and most are PFs

sook
08-15-2008, 12:30 AM
How The Fuck Do You Not Have Yao Ming Tis Has To Be A Joke Lol

tlongII
08-15-2008, 12:32 AM
ODEN HAS NOT PLAYED A FUCKING GAME, SO STFU!!

There.

He will be soon you effing crack ho.

TheMadHatter
08-15-2008, 12:39 AM
Yao is a great center, but his inability to stay healthy as of late puts him OUT of contention IMHO. Consistency and the ability to play a 82 game season is something I take into account.

Dwight Howard probably tops my list. Yes he has almost no offensive game outside the dunk, but his defense is so incredible and his ability to impact games with his presence puts him at the top for me. It's quite sad how few true back-to-the-basket centers we have in the game. Andrew Bynum is perhaps the only young C that really fits this mold.

GuerillaBlack
08-15-2008, 12:47 AM
He will be soon you effing crack ho.

Damn right he'll play a game soon. But just like I said, he hasn't played a single game in the NBA, so how the hell can you say he's the best center?

sook
08-15-2008, 12:51 AM
Yao is a great center, but his inability to stay healthy as of late puts him OUT of contention IMHO. Consistency and the ability to play a 82 game season is something I take into account.

Dwight Howard probably tops my list. Yes he has almost no offensive game outside the dunk, but his defense is so incredible and his ability to impact games with his presence puts him at the top for me. It's quite sad how few true back-to-the-basket centers we have in the game. Andrew Bynum is perhaps the only young C that really fits this mold.

What are you talking about? His health is because of that fucking chinese nat. team, once he quits that shit he'll be fine, out of contention are you out of your mind? Let me guess bynum is next on your list and he is in contention for having a great 2 wks and then getting injured

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 01:06 AM
This thread is such fail.

For one where the fuck is Ming?

For two since when is TD a center? He starts the game at PF and usually gets moved around during.

Geez.

mrspurs
08-15-2008, 07:34 AM
its funny how people think dwight is the best center.......anyone watch dwight get abused KG? dwight is good one day great, but imo a couple if not more seasons away from being the best. he is still to young and to raw, he has many things to work on. just because you bring down double doubles night in and night out doesnt mean your great, it could mean your team needs those double doubles in order to win and also the style of play orlando has goes thru and around dwight....he should be alot better by now imo. his showboating is something that keeps dwight from being el vato. i bet if pop woulda had dwight, he would be an amazing defensive force, thats something he isnt, thus why i say he aint el vato.....imo dwight is dunk and look good first, listen to his coach and play defense second. another amare :wow

Supergirl
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Other people have noted that many of the players on the list (as well as other suggestions named, like Al Jefferson) are PF/C type players. This is of course reflective of a shift that has taken place in the NBA - there is a real dearth of true centers, but also, the rule changes have made true centers (who are often slower, plodding types who score on putbacks) are often more of a liability than an asset.

Hemotivo
08-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Scola when yao was out

jacobdrj
08-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Duncan, Brand, and Bosh are not C's (even though I contend that Duncan is a C playing out of position, which conributes greatly to his success, and Timmay knows it).

Right now, it is D-Howard. Yao is close behind, and if he could stay healthy for a season, he would be up there, maybe even a little better, but since that hasn't happened, it is a mute point.

Shaq is still Shaq, but can't keep it up for more than 20 mins per game. He has bench player written all over him, but at the same time, we know he has a Favre-like ego, and would never do that.

sook
08-15-2008, 02:54 PM
Duncan, Brand, and Bosh are not C's (even though I contend that Duncan is a C playing out of position, which conributes greatly to his success, and Timmay knows it).

Right now, it is D-Howard. Yao is close behind, and if he could stay healthy for a season, he would be up there, maybe even a little better, but since that hasn't happened, it is a mute point.

Shaq is still Shaq, but can't keep it up for more than 20 mins per game. He has bench player written all over him, but at the same time, we know he has a Favre-like ego, and would never do that.

solid post.

dirk4mvp
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM

hi

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-15-2008, 03:33 PM

You're gay and banned.

Findog
08-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Hey Dominator, tell me how my ass tastes...

Oh wait, he can't.

dirk4mvp
08-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Hey Dominator, tell me how my ass tastes...

Oh wait, he can't.

lol...did he get banned for good or just a 24 ban?

DaDakota
08-15-2008, 04:31 PM

Exactly....Yao is the best and most skilled center in the NBA...hands down.

DD

jack sommerset
08-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Yo, no, Yao is my pick. Howard will catch him though.

sook
08-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Yao owns dwight in every h2h matchup just look it up. Dwight doesn't have solid post moves but i think he will develop them. Then i would have to go with Chris Kaman (depending on how he comes back from the knee) and then maybe Andrew Bynum

sook
08-15-2008, 05:21 PM
another guy you don't have up there is Al Jefforson, the guy is monstrous and will be a star. I'm pretty sure he's a C right?:(

Flight3107
08-15-2008, 06:01 PM
Yao is not even top 5

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-15-2008, 06:22 PM
Yao is not even top 5

Joke.

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I can't believe how on the basis of injuries one would discredit Yao's dominance as the best Center in the league. Yao missed only 2 games out 246 games in his first 3 seasons, that is 99.2% games played.
For his career he has played 404 games of 492 possible for 82%. So you're going to discredit the dominance in 82% of his games played because of 18% games missed:nope

In 2005-2006 Yao played 57 games(or 70%) due largely in part to a big toe infection on his left foot that became a bone infection because he was playing through the mostly annoying pain. After recovering, he had a freak kick to his left foot(unrelated to his toe infection) causing a small fracture requiring him to miss the last 4 games of the season. His final averages in 57 games were 22.3 points and 10.2 rebounds per game. It was a "20/10" average baby! His averages were as high as 25.7 points and 11.6 rebounds per game, while shooting 53.7% from the field and 87.8% at the free throw line.

In 2006-2007, he played 48 games or 59%. Yao,while blocking a shot, had 2 players roll onto his leg causing a small fracture in his knee--nothing more than being at the wrong place at the wrong time--freak injury. Up to that point he had been averaging 26.8 points, 9.7 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game, and had been mentioned as an NBA MVP candidate and went on to average 25.1 points and 10.3 rebounds in the play offs

In 2007-2008,(February 26, 2008) it was reported Yao would miss the rest of the season with a stress fracture in his left foot. This time, there was no specific incident that caused this fracture, though there was several game footage that showed possible specific injuries that could have led to the injury-but still inconclusive. This is the only one of his injuries that begin to look concerning as far as his ability to stay healthy. However, I will not discredit his dominance because of this. Yao underwent a successful operation on March 3, which placed screws in his foot to strengthen the bone, and recovery time was estimated at four months. Yao's final averages in 55 games(66.5% played) were 22.0 points, 10.8 rebounds, and 2.0 blocks a game.

Anyone who denies his dominance as the best center in the league is delusional and with hopefully not playing year round ball, decreased low block play, deeper team to allow him to rest during the season as precaution or limit his minutes....coupled with some luck--he will go back to the pattern of his first three years versus the pattern of the last three years.:lobt2:

Biggems
08-15-2008, 08:31 PM
Quite frankly being the best Center in the NBA right now doesn't hold much water.....it is definitely a down time for Centers.

Think about the early-mid 90s.....Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, Kareem, Daugherty, Smits, Seikaly, Shaq, Duckworth, Edwards, Bol, Mourning, Mutombo, Campbell, Cartwright, Sikma, Eaton, and probably a few others I can't recall.....The 90s was definitely a great decade for Centers

As far as now, I dont know. If Yao is the best, that is pathetic, considering he cant play a full season and he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs. I would hope the best center is more reliable healthwise and is able to get his team past the first round of the postseason. I would expect the best center to be an imposing force on both ends of the court. Right now there are offensive centers and defensive centers.....it seems that Yao is the only one who combines the two right now......and thus, he is the best center by default....

TMAC-YAO-ARTEST
08-15-2008, 08:57 PM
Quite frankly being the best Center in the NBA right now doesn't hold much water.....it is definitely a down time for Centers.

Think about the early-mid 90s.....Robinson, Olajuwon, Ewing, Kareem, Daugherty, Smits, Seikaly, Shaq, Duckworth, Edwards, Bol, Mourning, Mutombo, Campbell, Cartwright, Sikma, Eaton, and probably a few others I can't recall.....The 90s was definitely a great decade for Centers

As far as now, I dont know. If Yao is the best, that is pathetic, considering he cant play a full season and he cant get out of the first round of the playoffs. I would hope the best center is more reliable healthwise and is able to get his team past the first round of the postseason. I would expect the best center to be an imposing force on both ends of the court. Right now there are offensive centers and defensive centers.....it seems that Yao is the only one who combines the two right now......and thus, he is the best center by default....

Yeah, because it's Yao's fault that they can't advance past the first round:rolleyes Last yr was the first out of 6 seasons that when the team made it to the playoffs, Yao was unavailable.

Keep playing the injury card to discredit yao, that is pathetic.

Tmac&Luther
08-16-2008, 02:37 AM
its funny how people think dwight is the best center.......anyone watch dwight get abused KG? dwight is good one day great, but imo a couple if not more seasons away from being the best. he is still to young and to raw, he has many things to work on. just because you bring down double doubles night in and night out doesnt mean your great, it could mean your team needs those double doubles in order to win and also the style of play orlando has goes thru and around dwight....he should be alot better by now imo. his showboating is something that keeps dwight from being el vato. i bet if pop woulda had dwight, he would be an amazing defensive force, thats something he isnt, thus why i say he aint el vato.....imo dwight is dunk and look good first, listen to his coach and play defense second. another amare :wow

Dwight get's abused by most elite big men, but idiot posters just continue to let him skate......I mean who he dunks on the sorry ass East.....WOW.

cherylsteele
08-16-2008, 04:02 AM
If you are gonna put Tim on the list,
Emeka Okafor should garner at least some consideration as well.
Yao, at the moment is probably the best "C" playing, only because Tim is not listed as a "C".

Matchman
08-16-2008, 08:47 AM
this thread is an
http://samuelpablo.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/epic_fail.jpg

my choice is yao ming