PDA

View Full Version : "Texas isn't tough" says FAU

CubanSucks
08-14-2008, 04:17 PM
FAUs head coach was quoted in some Florida paper saying that "Texas isn't a tough football team. They have polished athletes but aren't a physically tough team". Are you fucking insane?!?!?!?!?! This just made things a WHOLE lot more interesting. FAU? Really?
:bang:madrun:ihit:flipoff:flipoff

CubanMustGo
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
FAWho?

ChumpDumper
08-14-2008, 04:29 PM
If you are getting worked up about a game against Florida Atlantic, your team probably isn't tough.

Why is this even on the schedule?

ashbeeigh
08-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Why is this in the Club?

MaNuMaNiAc
08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
If you're worrying about whether or not other people think you're tough, you're probably not tough and an idiot to boot.

Twisted_Dawg
08-14-2008, 05:12 PM
If you are getting worked up about a game against Florida Atlantic, your team probably isn't tough.

If your team is even playing a game against Florida Atlantic...then your team probably isn't tough.

mookie2001
08-14-2008, 05:42 PM
Why is this in the Club?

yeah it has nothing to do with stone oak or the rim

or 24

leemajors
08-14-2008, 06:04 PM

so people have to pay $30 to see it on PPV?

Brutalis
08-14-2008, 06:05 PM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15

MannyIsGod
08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Why is this in the Club?

If it was saying Mexicans weren't tough you'd have no problem with it being in the club would you?

We'll work on posting some Klan topics for you shortly.

mookie2001
08-14-2008, 08:01 PM
ou had a few mexican rbs, both were tough keJuan jones y reynaldo works

CubanSucks
08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Are you people fucking retarded? EVERY prestigous team has these kind of games on their schedule. All their hard games come in conference play so you have these "warm up" games where you can just pound on the opponent. LSU gets to play Appalachian State. I never said anything about the Texas players or coaches firing back or getting worked up, it's just me getting pissed that a coach for a non bcs team is talking shit to the #9 team in the country.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-14-2008, 09:15 PM
If it was saying Mexicans weren't tough you'd have no problem with it being in the club would you?

We'll work on posting some Klan topics for you shortly.

:lol ftw.

CubanSucks
08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
who's usc playing

This year they're playing Virginia and next year San Jose State. Plus, the Pac-10 doesn't compare to the Big 12 this year. Fuck USC anyways!

Marklar MM
08-15-2008, 12:31 AM
HAHA. This is like the Southern Florida coach saying that Bill Stewart is a better coach than Rich Rodriguez.

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
This year they're playing Virginia and next year San Jose State. Plus, the Pac-10 doesn't compare to the Big 12 this year. Fuck USC anyways!

Just like the B12 doesn't compare to the SEC.

:toast

CubanSucks
08-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Just like the B12 doesn't compare to the SEC.

:toast

Fuck the SEC. Sure they're good now but as far as tradition and historical prestige go they got SHIT. Alabama being the obvious exception.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2008, 01:58 AM

Isn't USC playing Ohio State this year?

CubanSucks
08-15-2008, 02:39 AM
Isn't USC playing Ohio State this year?

Yeah? And so did Texas in 05 and 06. What's your fucking point

j-6
08-15-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm was scared that UT was looking past this game, but not after Schellenberger gave them bulletin board fodder. Muschamp eats this shit up.

By the way, FAU won the Sun Belt and won a bowl game last year, and returns 16/22 starters.

MajorMike
08-15-2008, 07:59 AM
Schnelly is always good for a quote.

pkbpkb81
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM
Schellenberger is a drunk thats why we ran his ass out of ou in one year by the way dident fau almost beat texas last year, or was that another samll fl school.

samikeyp
08-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Schellenberger is a drunk thats why we ran his ass out of ou in one year by the way dident fau almost beat texas last year, or was that another samll fl school.

Univ. Of Central Florida.

Trainwreck2100
08-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Yeah? And so did Texas in 05 and 06. What's your fucking point

you'r saying their schedule is weak and they are playing a team that has been in the NTG for 2 straight years

MajorMike
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM

1st off, uo didn't run his ass off, they were actually suprised by him leaving. He did, however diss the uo past and had a losing record in conf and got shutout at home by OSU. Other items including pissing the entire team off by calling them out of shape, unmotivated lard asses in the paper and going so far as to say they would make a movie about his time in snorman. The fact he was frequently drunk in liquor store parking lots and driving up in people's yards intoxicated while working at uo didn't really surface until later.

uo was so suprised by him leaving, that they made a snap decision and hired Blake - a stellar recruiter but horrid coach, to replace him. Blake has recruited more MNC winning kids than darth visor has.

A nice footnote about Schnelly, since uo loves to hate him so much. He actually coined the phrase 'sooner nation' that they love to use so much.

CubanSucks
08-17-2008, 04:53 PM
you'r saying their schedule is weak and they are playing a team that has been in the NTG for 2 straight years

You need to read again. I never said they had a weak schedule, I was simply naming off their games that are supposed to be walk through games. The fact that the Pac 10 isn't AS strong as the Big 12 this year is made up for with the Ohio State game so I never meant to sound like I was accusing them of having a schedule that was too easy, just answering the question asked above, "who's USC playing this year"

j-6
08-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Schnellenberger expects Owls to be even better in 2008
Schlabach
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/preview08/columns/story?columnist=schlabach_mark&id=3537105

Schnellenberger expects Owls to be even better in 2008

By Mark Schlabach
ESPN.com

In more than two decades as a college football coach, Howard Schnellenberger has preferred a straightforward, not-so-subtle approach.

During his tenures at Miami, Louisville and Oklahoma, Schnellenberger was known as much for his outlandish comments as the suede jackets and conservative ties he wore on the sidelines.

Howard Schnellenberger transformed the Owls from an idea to a bowl winner in only nine years.

After Schnellenberger watched the Sooners lose to BYU 31-6 in the 1994 Copper Bowl, he called the Oklahoma players he was set to inherit "out of shape, unorganized and unmotivated." He said the ugly loss to BYU "was clearly the lowest point in the great history of Oklahoma football."

Shortly after Schnellenberger was hired to resurrect the Oklahoma program, he told anyone who would listen that "they will write books and make movies about my time here."

Sooner fans couldn't even write a chapter about Schnellenberger's time in Norman. He left Oklahoma after his team finished 5-5-1 in his only season in 1995.

After starting the Florida Atlantic program from scratch in 1998, Schnellenberger flew under the radar as the Owls climbed from Division I-AA to the Sun Belt Conference. Last season, Florida Atlantic was picked to finish sixth among eight Sun Belt teams in preseason voting by media covering the league.

The Owls finished 8-5, won the conference title and beat Memphis 44-27 in the New Orleans Bowl.

Finally, Schnellenberger had a team worth crowing about again.

"Our players better understand teams didn't probably pay as much attention to us last year," Schnellenberger said. "I'm sure teams could have prepared better for us, gotten up higher and brought their A-game. There's no question that's going to happen every time we take the field this year."

Schnellenberger made sure Texas will be ready to play when the Owls travel to DKR-Texas Memorial Stadium in Austin for the opener Aug. 30. In comments published by University Press, Florida Atlantic's student newspaper, Schnellenberger all but called the Longhorns a soft team.

"Once we step out on the field with Texas, the only ones who can help us is ourselves," Schnellenberger told University Press. "Texas always has a very polished team that has great talent, but they aren't tough; they aren't a physically tough team.

"My defense will get to a point where they will be mean, nasty and ornery [expletive], and that's what you need for Texas. Texas will move the ball with tit-for-tat, screens and options, but we'll make them pay a price whenever they catch one of those dinky passes. We'll put three hats on them and make them not want to get up; that's the way to beat Texas."

In a telephone interview Thursday, Schnellenberger didn't deny making the comments.

"I was trying to emphasize their great talent that they have," Schnellenberger said. "This is the flagship university in the state of Texas. They pretty much choose the talent they want. Certainly, the only way we're going to beat them is to play a more physical game than they do. We have to make tackles and knock balls loose and things like that. We're not going to be able to match up in talent."

If the Owls can match up with the Longhorns at any position, it might be quarterback. Junior Rusty Smith completed 58.7 percent of his passes for 3,688 yards with 32 touchdowns and nine interceptions last season. He was named Sun Belt Player of the Year and threw five touchdowns against Memphis, setting a New Orleans Bowl record. Smith also threw for 463 yards with five touchdowns in a 42-39 win over Minnesota, which was the first time a Sun Belt team beat a Big Ten opponent.

Schnellenberger said Smith reminds him of Bernie Kosar, whom he coached at Miami.

"He is very much like Kosar," Schnellenberger said. "He's taller than Kosar, and his unorthodox delivery is similar. He brings it from a distance, but he anticipates things well and has so much velocity on the ball that the jump a defensive back can get is minimal. He's at a point where Kosar was when we won the [1983 national] championship. He can take us out of a bad play and get us in a good play. He's made for this type of offense we run."

Smith wasn't highly recruited after playing one season at Sandalwood High School in Jacksonville, Fla. He played three seasons at Paxon School for Advanced Studies, a magnet school that competed in football as an independent. Smith was offered a scholarship by UAB during his senior season at Sandalwood, but the Blazers withdrew the offer a few weeks later.

"When it all came down, I had only one legitimate scholarship," Smith said.

The Owls weren't concerned about Smith's unorthodox throwing motion. He almost winds up like a pitcher before throwing the football.

"It's not side-armed," Smith said. "I definitely throw over the top. My whole life I was a baseball player and pitcher. No one ever taught me how to throw a football. I was still throwing like a pitcher."

Schnellenberger never tried to change it.

"It's too late when they're 17 or 18 years old," Schnellenberger said. "If you do change it, they're too mechanical. I've never seen it work."

It all seems to be working for the Owls now. Top receiver Cortez Gent, who caught 64 passes for 1,082 yards with nine touchdowns, is back. With as many as 11 seniors expected to start this season, Schnellenberger believes the Owls will be better than they were last year.

"We were a very young team last year," Schnellenberger said. "We went from 5-7 to 8-5 and won the conference. I didn't expect for us to make that happen last year. I expected it to happen this year. Thankfully, our players are smarter than I am. I don't know how to evaluate, but they know how to play."

And the 74-year-old coach still knows how to make headlines.

"It's definitely going to make the game a lot tougher and put Texas on its toes," Smith said. "They know we're coming to town to take care of business. We're going to give them a good game. I believe that 100 percent. I can honestly say that. I know when we go to Texas, it will be a very good game."

Whisky Dog
08-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Outside of the VY led 2004 team and the VY and Chizik led tough ass mofos in 2005, he's right. The knock is that Mac's defenses have historically been soft against top flight competition, of which FAU is definitely not. Schnelly might have just gotten his QB broken with those words, but we'll see.

With Will "Boom Mutha Fuckers!" Muschamp that might be changing again and they may have that 2005 nastiness to them once again.

pkbpkb81
08-19-2008, 09:07 AM
1st off, uo didn't run his ass off, they were actually suprised by him leaving. He did, however diss the uo past and had a losing record in conf and got shutout at home by OSU. Other items including pissing the entire team off by calling them out of shape, unmotivated lard asses in the paper and going so far as to say they would make a movie about his time in snorman. The fact he was frequently drunk in liquor store parking lots and driving up in people's yards intoxicated while working at uo didn't really surface until later.

uo was so suprised by him leaving, that they made a snap decision and hired Blake - a stellar recruiter but horrid coach, to replace him. Blake has recruited more MNC winning kids than darth visor has.

A nice footnote about Schnelly, since uo loves to hate him so much. He actually coined the phrase 'sooner nation' that they love to use so much.

you have been smokeing the boone pickens crack too long OU did run his ass out for the drinking and the sorry ass lose to osu among other thing, and just becuse you and the ok media dident know about the crap he pulled in norman dosent mean the school dident, also they hired blake beuces of an endorsment by Barry Switzer that along with the fact that he was a former Sooner and coaching in the nfl at the time dident hurt eaither

MajorMike
08-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Wow, grammar much?

pkbpkb81
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
do you thaink your team might atleast get to the alamo bowl this year or is it another ind bowl for the poor cow pokes

Whisky Dog
08-30-2008, 09:28 PM
Oops!

Go have another drink Shnelly

Biggems
08-30-2008, 10:12 PM
well Texas put a nice whoopin on FAU....now this is how Texas should start the season.....not like they did last year against Arkansas St.

Texas' pass defense was pitiful in the first half, giving up 230 yds and a TD. However, in the 2nd half, the D stepped up and only gave up about 20-25 yds passing.

Colt showed his freshman form....25-29 over 200 yds and 3 TDs, over 100 yds rushing and 1 TD

I still say this offense would be unstoppable had Darrell Scott come to Austin instead of Colorado......but we will see about the team we have right now. I expect the defense to only get better, cause Muschamp is a great coach. As far as the offense goes, hopefully Applewhite will get a say so with the game plan, cause Greg Davis sucks.

Good first game.....still lots of work to do. UTEP is up next....hopefully they can shore up the pass defense and cut down on some of the stupid penalties.

HOOK EM HORNS

PeterBurns
08-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Fuck the SEC. Sure they're good now but as far as tradition and historical prestige go they got SHIT. Alabama being the obvious exception.

Hmm....By the way, LSU playing App State isn't like playing Coastal Carolina.
App State is a 3 time FCS Champion.

But considering how there is no S.O.S. left in the rankings, there is no way that a team should schedule a tough team out of conference.

Brutalis
08-30-2008, 10:33 PM

Whatever you're smoking went straight in and out your ass.

DMX7
08-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Are they going to replay this game for free sometime? I heard they were later in the week but I don't know when.