PDA

View Full Version : Jackson Browne suing John McCain

Thunder Dan
08-14-2008, 04:34 PM
apparently McCain isn't up on all that new-age hippie stuff like copyrights. I'm sure one of his lobbyist friends will get him off the hook. Take his ass to the cleaners!

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/08/14/jackson-browne-sues-john-mccain-over-campaign-commercial/

T Park
08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
he looks like an Obama man.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2008, 04:50 PM
It's a good idea to check these things beforehand.

Thunder Dan
08-14-2008, 04:52 PM
It's a good idea to check these things beforehand.

seriously, I'm not even in the business and I know that- there has to be some adviser that has heard about copyright laws

Anti.Hero
08-14-2008, 04:54 PM
Using another mans work to further your own career.

McCain really does lean to the left :depressed

whottt
08-14-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.fromthevaultradio.org/home/wp-content/images/FTV083_No%20Nukes%20Rally%20Reunion/NoNukes1.jpg

Good ole Jack...he's an energy genius.

And he beats on women.....

marini martini
08-14-2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.fromthevaultradio.org/home/wp-content/images/FTV083_No%20Nukes%20Rally%20Reunion/NoNukes1.jpg

Good ole Jack...he's an energy genius.

And he beats on women.....

So who ya think ole Jack's gonna vote for:rolleyes

:lol

T Park
08-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Ralph Nader.

marini martini
08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
^^^Is he still on the ticket???? Yay, there is a god!

Duff McCartney
08-14-2008, 09:35 PM
I find it hilarious that T Park and Whottt would rather bash Jackson Brownes political beliefs instead of bashing McCain and his campaign for not knowing basic copyright laws. How is this dude ever gonna lead us if he doesn't know you need permission to use peoples music? Hell I'm sure even T Park knew that.

T Park
08-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I find it hilarious that T Park and Whottt would rather bash Jackson Brownes political beliefs instead of bashing McCain and his campaign for not knowing basic copyright laws. How is this dude ever gonna lead us if he doesn't know you need permission to use peoples music? Hell I'm sure even T Park knew that.

Have you learned how to open a bank account yet?

I gaurantee you John McCaine has no clue who Jackson Brown is, nor has he ever heard the song before either.

ChumpDumper
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
He's more of an ABBA guy.

duncan228
08-14-2008, 11:05 PM
I haven't seen the commercial. How does "Running On Empty" fit whatever he's trying to say?

marini martini
08-14-2008, 11:07 PM
That's what all our cars will be running on, if he gets elected!

mrsmaalox
08-14-2008, 11:56 PM
^^^Is he still on the ticket???? Yay, there is a god!

VoteNader.org

mrsmaalox
08-15-2008, 12:16 AM
I may be mistaken, but I believe John Mellencamp also took issue with McCain's campaign for using his songs. He must be a slow learner.

Buddy Holly
08-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Have you learned how to open a bank account yet?

I gaurantee you John McCaine has no clue who Jackson Brown is, nor has he ever heard the song before either.

He has no clue how to use a computer either. :bang

This isn't even the first time he's stole something.

The man is so old, he stole 5 of Mose's commandments. There was supposed to be 15!

medstudent
08-15-2008, 12:41 AM
VoteNader.org

Do you need your head examined?

mrsmaalox
08-15-2008, 12:45 AM
Do you need your head examined?

:lol Just passing on some information to a friend....

Brutalis
08-15-2008, 12:46 AM
I'm sure McCain is shaking in his new hypocrite boots.

Thunder Dan
08-15-2008, 07:28 AM

I believe this only because he loves ABBA

I bet he still gets his music from one of these:

http://www.kdbm-kbev.com/PROGRAMS/OLD_RADIO.jpg

Spurminator
08-15-2008, 09:21 AM
Abba > Jackson Browne

Just sayin'

MajorMike
08-15-2008, 09:58 AM
JB just needs to Take it Easy For America or Somebody's Baby is going to smack The Pretender, and watch out, cause here Come Those Tears Again.

ChumpDumper
08-15-2008, 10:00 AM
There must be plenty of Lawyers in Love with this case.

Anti.Hero
08-15-2008, 10:57 AM
That's what all our cars will be running on, if he gets elected!

Not if we inflate our tires!

Wild Cobra
08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Is there a case?

I thought small segments of copyrighted material could be used without permission. Anyone know what the time limit is? Was that time limit exceeded?

DizzG.
08-15-2008, 03:35 PM
:bang

This isn't even the first time he's stole something.

Maybe he was just borrowing it like you borrowed Slomo's photos. :lmao

JoeChalupa
08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
Jackson Browne. :tu

Thunder Dan
08-15-2008, 03:54 PM
fair or not, whenver I hear Jackson Browne I always think of this (and I know it wasn't the song playing when those babies popped out- but they played it a ton throughout the flick)

http://footloose.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/phoebe_cates_fast_times.jpg

ChumpDumper
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Is there a case?

I thought small segments of copyrighted material could be used without permission. Anyone know what the time limit is? Was that time limit exceeded?It's like three notes IIRC, so just doing the chorus will put you on the hook.

ChumpDumper
08-15-2008, 04:14 PM
Since there's no compulsory right for music synchronization (the pairing of a song with video), McCain and/or his agents appear to have intentionally infringed Jackson Browne's copyright by not seeking permission and paying for the song -- a crime that warrants with statutory damages of $150,000, even if no further damage was done.

And Browne alleges that further, more expensive damage was in fact done. His complaint claims (under the Lanham Act) that "because 'Running on Empty' is so famously associated with Jackson Browne, essentially what's been misappropriated here is Jackson's identity," according to Iser. "They've put it in a commercial in a way that says that Jackson Browne is supporting senator McCain."

In addition, Browne does not allow his music to be use in advertisements, which could drive up the value (or associated damages) of his association with a product -- in this case, John McCain.

"The way (cases like this) usually are valued," said Iser, "is you have an expert witness from the music publishing world talking about 'had Jackson Browne granted permission, what would the license fee have been, given his stature, the famousness of the song and the use of it?' In this case, Jackson doesn't give permission for commercials, which means the value – had he done it – would have been very high."

Iser told us that license fees for using a high-profile song like this in an advertisement have exceeded $1 million, and that Browne's request for damages will likely be in that range.

This by no means the first time an artist has sued for wrongfully being associated with a product. Tom Waits successfully sued Frito Lay and its advertising agency in 1992 for $2.5 million, in a false endorsement case upheld by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.

http://blog.wired.com/music/2008/08/jackson-browne.html

The Ohio Republican Party, at the very least, could be heavily boned.

whottt
08-15-2008, 04:52 PM

I don't know Duff...why don't you tell me how many songs you've illegally downloaded since 1997, then I'll decide how I feel about it...and how valid your point is.

whottt
08-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Because right now, I don't really give a shit. It's not like the song matters, it's not like McCain was trying to pass it off as his own work, and frankly it just hurts Obama to be associated with Browne...it hurts Obama for Browne's name to even be mentioned right now.

He's a guy who advocates pacifism...unless it's Darryl Hannah's face or Republicans...trust me, you guys don't need another of that type of celeb being associated with you.

That whole recording rights thing became a have VS the have nots cause about 1997...

Paris (crackwhore, slut, spoiled dumbass) Hilton and Jackson (No Nukes, Black Eye) Browne interjecting themselves into this campaign is not going to help Obama...

It'll be a negative example of the type of person Obama appeals too...

They'll probably bash the stupid Republicans while they are doing it...and that's always good, because you guys don't need their votes all to win this election...

So by all means, keep getting millionaire crackheads and woman beaters to announce whose side they are on and teach those republicans a lesson...because it worked so well in 04.

AlamoSpursFan
08-15-2008, 05:00 PM
I've heard The Pretenders won't even play My City Was Gone in concert because Rush Limbaugh uses it as his theme song. Apparently they started playing it somewhere in Florida and the crowd started chanting "Rush! Rush! Rush!"

:lol